• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: Shenmue Online

Mau_Mau

Banned
I'm guessing this series was taken online, because the first 2 "offline" games sold so average and Sega needed a new hook to get people to try a Shenmue game out. I hope there is more info soon, and I hope this latest entry finishes the storyline.

EDIT: vomit...this is obnoxious

Moe

segasonic said:
where exactly does it say massively multiplayer?

I only see "online"..
Read the press release on Shenmue-Online.com. Just two quotes:

(Tokyo, Japan / Seoul , Korea / Shanghai, China) – August 3, 2004 – SEGA® Corporation and JC Entertainment Corporation today announced a business alliance to co-develop and co-publish Shenmue™ Online, a massively multi-player online game(MMOG) for PC platform. Also SEGA has the basic agreement with T2 Technology Holdings Inc. to allow T2 Technology to license China online game operation of Shenmue Online.

[...]

Shenmue Online is MMO Action RPG in which tens of thousands of players will participate in the virtual world of Shenmue staged in China including Hong Kong in 1980’s. Players, acting as militants, will use mysterious powers, kung-fu, Chinese weapons and Qigong in real-time fight-action.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
"Players, acting as militants, will use mysterious powers, kung-fu, Chinese weapons and Qigong in real-time fight-action."

riot2.jpg

ourumov

Shenmue Online...
People to coperate to screw Ryo ?
Otherwise it makes no sense.

Fuck online and give us Shenmue 3 !

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Moe said:

(Tokyo, Japan / Seoul , Korea / Shanghai, China) – August 3, 2004 – SEGA® Corporation and JC Entertainment Corporation today announced a business alliance to co-develop and co-publish Shenmue™ Online, a massively multi-player online game(MMOG) for PC platform. Also SEGA has the basic agreement with T2 Technology Holdings Inc. to allow T2 Technology to license China online game operation of Shenmue Online.

[...]

Shenmue Online is MMO Action RPG in which tens of thousands of players will participate in the virtual world of Shenmue staged in China including Hong Kong in 1980’s. Players, acting as militants, will use mysterious powers, kung-fu, Chinese weapons and Qigong in real-time fight-action.

*vomits*

Shouta

Wow, Sega really is desperate to be sinking money into a franchise that sells as much as Shenmue does. I thought the bad decisions were stopping when they merged with Sammy but then again, I saw The Rumble Fish and it sucked any potential in that.

ourumov

It would be great to innterview key persons from different game companies and ask their opinion about this decision.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
*gasp*

So it IS 70 man battle redux...F'in A!

Shame its not Shenmue 3...but maybe if i buy a billion copies of this i'll get my true sequel.

/me forumlates a plan

Only for PC, only in China and a fighting game?

wtf is Sega thinking? Give us a real Shenmue 3 please and not a MMO Version of Spikeout :(

segasonic

Moe said:

[...]

FUCK YOU SEGA :( :( :( :( :( :(

u_neek

etiolate said:
Sega is addicted to failure.

No, they're just very fuckin dumb!

recent-photo15.jpg

Sega guy 1: "Come on guys, we haven't made great game since we killed the mighty Dreamcast"
Sega guy 2: "Yeah, let's make another Shenmue!"
Sega guy 1: "What a fantastic idea, gamers loved Shenmue"
Sega guy 2: "Let's call it Shenmue Thr.... No ONLINE!.... and release it on all cons... NO PC!!!!"
Sega guy 1: "You're reading my mind!"
*Laughing and handshaking*

Next day...

Sega guy 1: "Let's start developing Samurai Jack 2!!"
*Laughing and handshaking*

Ghost said:
*gasp*

Shame its not Shenmue 3...but maybe if i buy a billion copies of this i'll get my true sequel.

/me forumlates a plan

<super villain voice>

Foooool! That will only encourage them to develop another Shenmue MMO</super villain voice>

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
ManDudeChild said:
<super villain voice>

Foooool! That will only encourage them to develop another Shenmue MMO</super villain voice>

Part 2 of the plan was pay for the copies but ship every one of them to Segas offices (European of course, i cant afford to ship a billion games to japan!) with a note attached "gimme Shenmue 3 you fucktard"

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Ghost said:
*gasp*

/me forumlates a plan

I have a feeling that would only lead to more side-tracking Shenmue games, since they will know Shenmue fans are so desperate they'll buy anything Shenmue. Shenmue Party! Shenmue Karts! Shenmue Tennis! Shenmue - Lucky Hit Collection!

8bit

Knows the Score
Surely this is better than having no Shenmue continuation at all? No?

Anyway, if you're able to create your own avatar for use in the game, I hope you can take that filthy plaster off his face.

MaddenNFL64

8bit said:
Surely this is better than having no Shenmue continuation at all? No?

Anyway, if you're able to create your own avatar for use in the game, I hope you can take that filthy plaster off his face.

I doubt this has anything to do with Ryo Hazuki's quest except in the most superficial way.

Shinobi

MaddenNFL64 said:
A MMO? Why not just spend that money on the god damned sequel!?

-_-

Well, who says that isn't coming?

I've been repeating this line for well over a year now...releasing Shenmue 3 this generation would probably be pointless. Releasing it on either XBox 2, PS3 or both is the only way to go. And I've always thought the odds of that happening were better then even, with or without this online game. And really, Shenmue 3 probably wouldn't cost that much to make compared to other large games...the R&D and modeling for it was done years ago.

As for this project it seems pretty far out there, but hell I'm intrigued.

MaddenNFL64

Well, it's not like I expect Shenmue 3 this generation, but why the hell spend over 25 million on this? Do they really think they'll make it back?

Instead, save the money, and put it into the last iteration in the Shenmue saga.

Koshiro

Oh wait it's official?! GAH, why PC? It's clearly targetted at Korea/China then.

Jesus christ Sega, why must you tease us so.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Im sure it will offer some incite into the story we haven't already seen, though we wont be able to follow Ryos story through his own eyes maybe you will be able to follow in his foot steps and unlock footage from what would have been Shenmue 3.

More of Shenmue's fighting engine is always good imo. Especially a game that's seems like it's going to have a big focus on it. Only if other games would make adventure games that had fighting engines as good as Shenmue has.

Yu must have some juice at Sega.
I''ll reserve judgement until more details surface.
On one hand I want to say 'Sega's back' on the other I want to say 'meh, give me shenmue 3 or let the thing die gracefully'.
Is this 'grand theft shenmue: online'?

Jacobi

Banned
I can't believe it. Sega is such a company of idiots. They could develop a new Sonic or Monkey Ball and make good money with it, but - THEY RELEASE AN ONLINE-GAME JUST FOR CHINA

Jacobi said:
I can't believe it. Sega is such a company of idiots. They could develop a new Sonic or Monkey Ball and make good money with it, but - THEY RELEASE AN ONLINE-GAME JUST FOR CHINA

Yes, because Sega's never going to develop another Sonic game. Let them do what they want. If they go under, then they go under there's nothing that really can be done. Just enjoy what they're releasing, and if you don't want the game just ignore it.

Shinobi

MaddenNFL64 said:
Well, it's not like I expect Shenmue 3 this generation, but why the hell spend over 25 million on this? Do they really think they'll make it back?

Instead, save the money, and put it into the last iteration in the Shenmue saga.

What I don't get is why Sega keeps releasing the budget figures for high priced games to begin with. EA doesn't. Konami doesn't. Or if they do, I certainly don't see those figures getting highlighted anywhere. All this stuff does is cast a negative shadow on it before it even begins, for no good reason.

It's kinda like how Sega made it a stated goal to beat EA. It's fine to have that goal (wanting to be #1 is NEVER a bad thing, no matter how unrealistic that goal might be), but why announce that publically? It only leads to ridicule and lesser confidence in the brand if you fail.

Loose lips sink ships...Sega needs to be a bit more prudent when talking about themselves.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Kiriku said:
Yes, but that was just a distraction to calm down the hype. :O

Well it worked perfectly, I don't give a crap about the Virtua Fighter RPG project anymore. But I'll be nice, Virtua Quest is suppose to get the little kids interested in Virtua Fighter. Doubt that works out though.

Shinobi said:
What I don't get is why Sega keeps releasing the budget figures for high priced games to begin with. EA doesn't. Konami doesn't. Or if they do, I certainly don't see those figures getting highlighted anywhere. All this stuff does is cast a negative shadow on it before it even begins, for no good reason.

Yah I don't get that. Even though I support this game, 25 million for a game they don't even seem to plan on releasing worldwide is crazy. That's like FF range. Sega is with Sammy now though, so i'd imagine they're helping with the money. The Sammy alliance doesn't seem so bad now. :p

Che

Banned
Hey guys there's a new trick for not getting dissapointed all the time with Sega: Face the truth and understand that the good old Sega we all loved is dead. These news are trully no surprise to me.

Che said:
Hey guys there's a new trick for not getting dissapointed all the time with Sega: Face the truth and understand that the good old Sega we all loved is dead. These news are trully no surprise to me.

Isn't this the "good old Sega"? The company that would make games that they knew they probably wouldn't turn profit (or games that just wouldn't sell well) on but would please alot of their hardcore fanbase.

Depends on what hardcore base you're talking about. The one that's been a fan all along, or the ones that became a fan in the DC/3rd party days and yell about a NiGHTS 2 and PDS2 on a daily basis.

Che

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Isn't this the "good old Sega"? The company that would make games that they knew they probably wouldn't turn profit (or games that just wouldn't sell well) on but would please alot of their hardcore fanbase.

At least then they made games. Now they don't even do that right. They release a couple of "good" games each year -nothing special- and that's all. Big deal even EA can do that.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Just contacted Sega France. They told me there is no plan for Europe yet, but it's still a possibility. What they want is that every country get its own localized server (handled by any company willing to do it), like what happened with DOAC here in France for example.
As long as I'm allowed to play on other country servers if I want to (and not forced to wait for someone to host a server in here) then all is good.

Troidal

Jesus lord, what they've done recently has not impressed anyone at all.

A Virtua Fighter spinoff = teh kiddie, a new Shenmue title = MMO? WTF? Keep digging that grave as deep as you want....

Top Bottom