• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

that james iha/no gish songs rumor can't be true. james wrote the opening riff for zero. james co-wrote stuff off adore and mcis. also, it doesn't make any sense from a standpoint that a lot of bands cover live songs and they don't have to pay royalties on that.

Diablos

Well then wtf, where's I Am One, Siva, Tristessa, Drown, etc.

Not to say the setlists are BAD... but one or two of those songs would be nice.

i don't know, maybe there is something to it, but it just doesn't make any sense that they couldn't play a song live because someone co-wrote it. what about audioslave playing those rage songs? did they have to pay zack?

Diablos

Well Gish does kind of symbolize the beginning of the Pumpkins (even though they did a bunch of stuff before even their first album). Maybe it was an emotional thing.

Zave

Diablos said:
Did Hummer sound as perfect as it does to me when I listen to this bootleg?

You are so lucky dude.
Yeah, Hummer was absolutely stunning. Just as Zero, Silver****, Thirty-Three, Disarm and... Winterlong, I was not expecting something like Winterlong or the brutal Shame "cover". Great show, probably the best Pumpkins' show I've seen after the MCIS-era .

Diablos

I'm jealous (with envy), Zave wins the "luckiest SP fan" award.
What do you think of Jeff Schroeder, btw? I'm really impressed with what I've heard... for example, James Iha never played Stand Inside Your Love like Jeff did. I dunno if James just didn't care or what, but Jeff is really doing an awesome job.

Tarantula is doing pretty good...
http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/AllAccess/Charts.asp?format=r3R&showtopn=2000&cutoff=0

http://www.radioandrecords.com/Formats/Charts/Alt_Chart.asp

Most increased plays, very nice. I hope it keeps climbing... we'll see.

Zave

Diablos said:
I'm jealous (with envy), Zave wins the "luckiest SP fan" award.
What do you think of Jeff Schroeder, btw? I'm really impressed with what I've heard... for example, James Iha never played Stand Inside Your Love like Jeff did. I dunno if James just didn't care or what, but Jeff is really doing an awesome job.

Tarantula is doing pretty good...
http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/AllAccess/Charts.asp?format=r3R&showtopn=2000&cutoff=0

http://www.radioandrecords.com/Formats/Charts/Alt_Chart.asp

Most increased plays, very nice. I hope it keeps climbing... we'll see.
I've been absolutely surprised by Jeff: now I'm used to call him "Harry" [Potter] with my girlfriend (also a SP fan), 'cause during the whole show he's been composed, calm, almost thoughtful and... and he and Ginger seems to me Billy and Jimmy's little nephews. :)
But, BUT, he played with precision and passion, showing power and soul. I think, as you said, that Iha probably didn't care too much during the Sacred and Profane Tour.
The best Jeff moment in Paris, in my opinion, is Silver****: he and Corgan constantly exchanged looks while destroying the guitars. Aw, now I'm really depressed and dipped in melancholy. :p

Diablos

Zave said:
I've been absolutely surprised by Jeff: now I'm used to call him "Harry" [Potter] with my girlfriend (also a SP fan), 'cause during the whole show he's been composed, calm, almost thoughtful and... and he and Ginger seems to me Billy and Jimmy's little nephews. :)
But, BUT, he played with precision and passion, showing power and soul. I think, as you said, that Iha probably didn't care too much during the Sacred and Profane Tour.
The best Jeff moment in Paris, in my opinion, is Silver****: he and Corgan constantly exchanged looks while destroying the guitars. Aw, now I'm really depressed and dipped in melancholy. :p
haha. That's so awesome.

Here's a short promo video... towards the end you hear a few seconds of Doomsday Clock. Sounds awesome. You can see some of the stolen pics, btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzHwPKXjMbU

Macam

Banned
Diablos said:
haha. That's so awesome.

Here's a short promo video... towards the end you hear a few seconds of Doomsday Clock. Sounds awesome. You can see some of the stolen pics, btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzHwPKXjMbU

Whomever opted to open that clip with the JellyBelly riff opening knew what they were doing. I've largely steered clear of a lot of the leaks, live shows, and the like to keep the album fresh but that little end sample gave me a better idea of where they're going with the sound, at least in so far as it ties in with Tarantula. Here's to hoping we get some singles so I can fish around for those always excellent B-sides.

Diablos

Paris show review from Drowned in Sound:

It’s not the Smashing Pumpkins really though, is it? Without James, or D’Arcy, or even Melissa? The whisperings are that this is Zwan mark II. It’s going to be Billy Corgan and his hired guns tarnishing the legacy of one of the most beloved alternative bands of the ‘90s. The songs might sound the same, but the heart? The soul? Well, that’s gone forever, right?

The sold-out crowd at the Grand Rex in Paris don’t seem to think so. Opener ‘United States’ dispels any worries immediately. It’s big, it’s loud, and it’s absolutely crushing. Think ‘Silver****’ meets ‘Zero’. When it finishes there’s no doubt remaining anywhere. There’s only applause, and cheers, and fans exchanging grins of sheer delight. This is what we wanted.

It was always going to be an important show for the Pumpkins. Two new band members (three if we’re counting the statuesque keyboardist who appears at intervals throughout the set) and an album’s worth of untested material: the potential for failure was high. Fortunately they pull it off in style. Of the new songs, ‘Starz’ and ‘Bleeding the Orchid’ stand out. Forthcoming single ‘Tarantula’ is ferocious (like Muse being beaten to death with screaming guitars). Best of all, though, is non-album track ‘Gossamer’, a 20-minute epic which gives Billy Corgan and new guitarist Jeff Schroeder a chance to provide the sort of haunting atmospherics which induce shivers.

Of course, as exciting as it is to hear the new material – which generally forgoes Machina-era heaviness for early-‘90s fuzziness – the biggest cheers are reserved for the hits. And when a band can play ‘Cherub Rock’, ‘1979’, and ‘Tonight Tonight’ in succession you start to realise just how impressive their back catalogue truly is. Perhaps not wishing to take any risks in disappointing on such a make-or-break night, a series of unexpected gems are offered up too. So we get ‘Hummer’, and we get ‘Home’, and the eternally underappreciated ‘Shame’ is reworked to sound like it belongs on Pisces Iscariot rather than Adore. There are even acoustic versions of ‘Rocket’ and ’33’ thrown in too; the latter especially standing as one of the highlights in a set bursting with them.

What of Jeff Schroeder and Ginger Reyes, then? We all know about Jimmy Chamberlain’s drums and Billy Corgan’s guitar. What do the new faces bring to the table? Musically: professionalism and accomplished playing. Also though, and strangely so given the circumstances, they bring a curious sense of heart to the group, too. Were they disinterested session musicians then there would be a problem. As it is they come across as two people who just so happen to have been given the opportunity of a lifetime. You get the impression they care about this, that they know the expectations upon them and don’t want to disappoint anybody. And really, that’s enough. To deny them their chance to shine because of nostalgia isn’t really fair. They deserve better than that. Jeff, Ginger, and keyboard player Lisa Harriton all turn in virtually flawless performances in a live debut which lasts for three hours. That’s impressive. The fact that the music itself still sounds as strong as ever – if not (*whisper it*) better – is genuinely exciting.

The problem with the latest incarnation of the Smashing Pumpkins, then, is that ultimately it’s our problem. Sure, it would be nice to see James and D’Arcy back. Of course it would. But what we have to think about is that maybe they don’t want to be back? Or maybe Billy has decided touring together would only bring up old tensions and problems? It’s like when two of your closest friends have been in a relationship together for a number of years and then one day decide to separate: you’re left feeling confused, and disappointed, and when you’re introduced to their new partners yeah, you’re suspicious as hell of them. In truth, though? That’s just the way it goes sometimes. Situations change.

At the beginning of the night the Grand Rex is packed out with hardcore Pumpkins fans who have made the trip from around the globe to witness this reunion. These are the people who have been raised on the original foursome – Billy, Jimmy, D’Arcy, James. This was the band they fell in love with all those years ago.

When the house lights come up some three hours later, there isn’t a disappointed face to be seen.

Forget the doubts, the cynicism, the nostalgia.

Everything you wanted to believe is true.

The Smashing Pumpkins are back.
http://www.drownedinsound.com/event/view/26339

Bebpo

Banned
Mike Works said:
this thread sucks, every time i see it i think the album's been leaked, but it's just diablos and friends jerking each other off

Yeah, normally I'm against listening to leaks, but since the shows are so close to the album release I want as much time as possible to fall in love with the new songs and be ready for the show :)

Bebpo

Banned
My brother just messaged me from his Europe trip to say he saw Billy on the street in Brussels.

He hates SP though so he's like "I didn't have time to tell him his new song sucks :("

Diablos

My pal Melissa in California, was invited (as she is a member of the music media) to an exclusive listening session for Zeitgeist recently and let me post her mini-review here for you guys to enjoy:

Another thing I'd been looking forward to for a significant time (try SEVEN YEARS) was the new Smashing Pumpkins record. I went to a listening session at the band's publicity firm offices last week (this puppy is under TIGHT security. Like, sacrifice your firstborn if you leak it serious.) So though I come bearing no audio,

A track-by-track rundown of Zeitgeist:

DOOMSDAY CLOCK: a very bombastic rocker that sets the pace for the hard-charging album. Think of this record as the lost link between Mellon Collie and Machina. It's a return to Billy's bleak lyrics ("Gas masks on / This doomsday clock ticking in my heart") as well as monstrous guitars and Jimmy's signature snare-pummeling.

7 SHADES OF BLACK: A forgettable, amped up tune with a snakey bassline

BLEEDING THE ORCHID: A bit Gishy, which is fitting, considering the song is about the foregone glory days of the grunge scene. Capped with Billy's signature whine and an ending reminiscent of "The Aeroplane Flies High."

THAT'S THE WAY (MY LOVE IS): Radiant, triumphant, pretty love song peppered with caffeinated, Machina-like atmospherics.

TARANTULA: One of the few Smashing Pumpkins song in existence that can actually be called "fun." A little punkish, a little theatrical, and overall the perfect refresher course in Corganese.

STARZ: For fans of Billy's solo album (all two of you out there, haha.) A mousy electronic thing that morphs into a balls-out rocker. Jimmy ****en OWNS this song.

UNITED STATES: The requisite epic of the record, and man, it's a good one. Political, feisty, startling, spooky. It's an aural call to arms, with Billy crooning "revolution" over and over, while Jimmy goes jungle drum crazy. "I don't have to run scared no more. I want to fight!"

NEVERLOST: Drowsy organs, xylophones and shuffly guitars culimate into what could be a lost track off Red Hot Chili Peppers' Stadium Arcadium.

BRING THE LIGHT: Bouncy, almost 80s/Cure-ish. A chugging delight with throbbing bass and much welcomed unpredictability. One of my favorites on the record.

(COME ON) LET'S GO!: Kickass rif***e, simultaneously sinister and merry, very melodic. "You could be my friends," Billy sings.

FOR GOD AND COUNTRY: Dirgy, mildly Nine Inch Nails-ish at their most morose. Kind of a snoozer.

POMP AND CIRCUMSTANCES: Holy fork, this song made me cry upon first listen! It's the Beach Boys meets Brian Eno. Warm, distant cymbals crash over organic-sounding electronic flourishes. An absolutely gorgeous but out of left field ending to a pretty good record.

hmm

It's a pretty poor review overall (for example, a comparison made to what could be a lost track off RHCP's latest album, lulz), yet it's still somewhat informative... maybe.

Oh, mtv.de is broadcasting them. Someone from Netphoria is recording it of course.

Reese-015

Wow, I just read a totally different version of the Tarantula lyrics from what I read first when I downloaded the song. I kinda hope this one is correct because the lyrics were the only thing I didn't dig about the song, but this sounds a lot more interesting:

"Tarantula
- I dont want to fight, every single night
Everything I want is in your lies
You and me go back, to places I don't know to care
The spoils of all I got were left as scraps
Don't let me say this, but you're no worse than me, too crazy

The unreal, real never was, just because
The ugly, feel we've had enough
The unbelief, someone gave us up

I wanna be there when you're happy
I wanna love you when you're sad
(Can't stand the morning rain)
Get out I'll take your place then
(Can't stand the blazing sun)
Close your eyes you'll see, the angel dies

I don't wanna be, anything believes
A million watts of sound can't compare
Come along you'll see the world home

Oh is the White House all they want? I'll sing for...

The unreal, real never was, just because
The ugly, every living soul
The oh so real, someone gave us up

Don't break the oath
I wanna love you when you're happy
Don't break the soul
I wanna be there when you're sad
Withstand the pouring rain

The unreal, as real as any loss, too easy now
The unreal in every living soul
Dumb day now

Can't stand the blazing sun
Can't stand the morning rain
Ah get out I'll take your place ... again
I don't wanna be alone
I don't wanna be alone
I dont wanna be alone - no

If its the White House all they want, Black house they'll get..."

Oh and btw for those who don't want to download flacs, check out this awesome quality recording of yesterday's Rock Am Ring show:
http://www.shannon-palmer.com/sp-june-2-2007/

Diablos

Here's the whole Rock Am Ring performance: http://www.sendspace.com/file/05qva9

Apparently there's a DVD ISO too... trying to find that.

Here it is.

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39258

THE SMASHING PUMPKINS
2007-06-02
Rock am Ring Festival @ Nuerburgring
Nuerburg, Germany

Completely authored with menus

Source: Digital TV (DVB-S) > Nokia d-box 2
Video Format: DVD PAL 4:3, MPEG-2 544 x 576 pixels @ 25 fps, 2247 kbps
Audio Format: MPEG Layer 2, stereo, 48.0 kHz, 256 kbps
Length: 01:38:46;02
TV Channel: MTV Germany
Broadcast Date: 2007-06-02

Chapters:
01 (Intro)
02 Today
02 Bullet with Butterfly Wings
03 United States > Star Spangled Banner [Key] (tease)
04 Bleeding the Orchid
05 Stand Inside Your Love
06 Cherub Rock
07 Shame
08 Silver**** > The End [The Doors] (tease)
09 Thirty-three
10 To Sheila
11 Tonight, Tonight
12 Tarantula
13 Starz
14 Zero
15 Disarm
16 1979
17 Untitled
18 Gossamer (with Uli Jon Roth)

Notes:
As broadcast live on MTV Germany.
Incomplete. Most of "Gossamer" is missing because MTV ended the
broadcast to show an episode of South Park.
MTV broadcasts in a resolution of 544 x 576 pixels. This does
not comply with the standard for PAL DVDs. Therefore, this DVD
might not be compatible with every DVD player.

WTF, cutting off a song to play South Park of all things? That's ridiculous.

Diablos

Get the one Rindain posted! Mine is better quality but they CUT GOSSAMER OFF, and let me tell you something, that was really stupid. His has the whole thing, it's AMAZING. Holy shit that rocked my socks off. Ulrich Roth makes it even better. Triple guitar threat, baby.

****, that rocks. I'm gonna watch it again.

Zave

Diablos said:
Get the one Rindain posted! Mine is better quality but they CUT GOSSAMER OFF, and let me tell you something, that was really stupid. His has the whole thing, it's AMAZING. Holy shit that rocked my socks off. Ulrich Roth makes it even better. Triple guitar threat, baby.

****, that rocks. I'm gonna watch it again.
Wow, I'm listening to the Rock Am Ring "bootleg" and... well, United States is so ****ing awesome. Can't wait to listen the whole thing, can't wait to see them live one more time in Italy in a few days. :9

Rindain

Banned
Awesome seeing Billy smiling ecstatically at the end of Gossamer while rocking out with Uli Jon Roth---he knows how incredible that was. And the end when he stood up over the audience in the "I am a Golden ROCK GOD" pose...holy ****.

terrene

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
Getting pretty sick of your rebuttals. I'm an SP fan, I'm going to express my opinion. You can try to argue with me about it and look like a ****ing retard, or you can quietly let people have opinions other than your own.

Diablos

terrene said:
Billy has no energy.
4qx6t1x.jpg

Dude, you should start posting at Netphoria. There's a big group of people there like you (and a big group of people there more like me), and they can argue, insult, and just get generally nasty for as long as they want with basically no consequences.

Diablos

Mike Works said:
god you guys suck ****ING LEAK ALREADY
No we don't, we're just Smashing Pumpkins fans.

At least we aren't a bunch of blind sheep with the same opinion, Mike (*cough*Tool fans*cough*)

i used to hate Tool, i didn't start listening to them until 10,000 days came out. and i like the smashing pumpkins! am i supposed to post a picture of the band smiling to prove my point here?

Diablos

Mike Works said:
i used to hate Tool, i didn't start listening to them until 10,000 days came out. and i like the smashing pumpkins! am i supposed to post a picture of the band smiling to prove my point here?
You are a rare exception to the Tool fanbase. You'll find that we Pumpkinheads tend to have varied opinions about the band. It may sound corny, but it's true, and I kind of like that.

Diablos

Well, his vocals were too loud at times, kinda sounding out of place if that's what you meant. But that's because of how the show was recorded/broadcast. As for lacking energy? He had tons of energy when it was necessary, and used restraint when it was more practical. I don't see what the big deal is, it's not like Billy Corgan is an opera singer :p

Getting pretty sick of your rebuttals. I'm an SP fan, I'm going to express my opinion. You can try to argue with me about it and look like a ****ing retard, or you can quietly let people have opinions other than your own.

don't get all bent out of shape about it buddy. i know you're an sp fan and you can pick out 15 year old riffs in the middle of any random song and claim it's a mediocre song since it's clearly ripping off that older song, just thought it was funny that in back to back posts one guy says he's lacking energy, and another person says it was good to see enthusiasm on corgans part is all. continue on with your disappointment!

terrene

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
don't get all bent out of shape about it buddy.
I think I'll do whatever I want, actually. As I do that, you can choose to highlight statements that aren't slobbering fanboy gushing and get all uppity. But try not to get all bent out of shape.

fallout

Diablos said:
No we don't, we're just Smashing Pumpkins fans.

At least we aren't a bunch of blind sheep with the same opinion, Mike (*cough*Tool fans*cough*)
Can you go a day without ragging on Tool fans? Honestly, it's getting a little ****ing tired.

Sigh, anyway. Patiently waiting.

Diablos

fallout said:
Can you go a day without ragging on Tool fans? Honestly, it's getting a little ****ing tired.

Sigh, anyway. Patiently waiting.
I haven't ragged on Tool fans in at least a week. At least.

But really, I wasn't trying to insult you. C'mon, just go to a Tool messageboard for a few minutes. There's not much of a difference in opinion there.

Top Bottom