• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Diablos

That was a while ago, though.

I really think they're just friends. Maybe friends with benefits (why Billy, why)... but still just friends.

terrene

Banned
Diablos said:
That was a while ago, though.

I really think they're just friends. Maybe friends with benefits (why Billy, why)... but still just friends.
Uh, no? That song she's singing ("Sunset Marquis") is from the album that hasn't come out yet, bro.

terrene

Banned
White Man said:
I don't why you keep following this, Terrene.
Man, look. THIS is the band I signed up for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1N_qX_r4Iw

How was I to know that if I stuck around long enough it would turn into this:

11t.jpg
431t.jpg
465t.jpg
466t.jpg
467t.jpg

(It's actually 5 versions if you count the "special edition.")

Diablos

Yeah, but that clip has been up forever. The song has likely been recorded, bro.

I don't really care if Billy is with her or not, it's his life, and I'm not going to obsess over it like people do over other stupid celeb news. Also, as crazy as I think this is too, I'm not gonna write the band off just because of the different albums. I think it's time for terrene to let go. :'(

The Lisbon performance of Gossamer is supposed to be amazing, I will upload it as soon as I have it.

Anyway, what studio song is everyone looking forward to most? I really can't wait to hear Starz. That song is pretty badass.

Also, some info about the vocals from some guy who heard the album:

They are high in the mix [Doomsday Clock], but the only track that sounds quite inappropriately mixed is DC. Others like Starz, Neverlost, God & Country, That's the Way (tracks I heard at listening party) sounded better mixed. But I can't judge definitely from just that party where I only heard the tracks 3 times.

Diablos said:
Zeitgeist is pretty short (standard edition); I wish they would just have all of the tracks on the album (hell, the Best Buy one is thrown right into the middle of the regular tracklisting, implying it could work just as well as a standard album track). Then, sell one special edition with the booklet and DVD.

I can't see how this is going to give them a sales boost. If anything, it's going to keep people from buying it.
I predict that there will be a SPECIAL EDITION released come Holiday Thyme containing all of the various exclusive tracks, the dvd, and probably some additional OMG EXCLUSIVE shit. In the meantime I suggest leeching the album in all its various configurations.

Diablos

Jeff Schroeder updates the blog:
http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/blog
Seems like a really cool guy.

What a lame post, FMT. It's a total rehash of #943. Why don't you write something original, you ****ing hack?
Why don't you just stop paying attention to the band if you are so fed up with everything Billy's doing now?

That's the Way is the next single, btw. It comes out in September.

Diablos

He Wants Chalupas said:
I predict that there will be a SPECIAL EDITION released come Holiday Thyme containing all of the various exclusive tracks, the dvd, and probably some additional OMG EXCLUSIVE shit.
More than likely.

While I was watching the 80's animated classic Heavy Metal on Universal HD this morning, they ran an ad stating they'll have 22-hour coverage of Live Earth.

Bebpo

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
i didn't realize doomsday clock was on the transformers soundtrack. that's why it leaked. 2 for 2 so far!

Actually, it leaked because Itunes was giving it away for free if you pre-ordered the album ;P

Man, I really hope this is the week the album finally leaks...

terrene

Banned
Diablos said:
Why don't you just stop paying attention to the band if you are so fed up with everything Billy's doing now?
Are you going to say that to everyone who complains about the 32-different-editions-of-Zeitgeist thing? I think I'll do whatever I want. Thanks, though.

it's his life diablos! it's now or never... he aint gonna live forever! he just wants to live while he's alive! his hearts like an open highway... and he does it HIS way!

terrene

Banned
Sort of?

I figure, I won't have gotten my fill until I've: a) seen them live, and b) heard the new album. So really, might as well make your peace with my existence now.

White Man

terrene said:
Sort of?

I figure, I won't have gotten my fill until I've: a) seen them live, and b) heard the new album. So really, might as well make your peace with my existence now.

BUT YR NOT ALLOWED TO BE HERE IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN THE INFALLIBILITY OF BILLY.

Diablos

I think the numerous Zeitgeists (LET ME SHOW YOU THEM, LOL) is ridiculous. I'm talking about terrene's general stance which seems to be that he doesn't feel Corgan is a good artist anymore. He's kinda rabid about it. It's one thing to say "meh" but he keeps on going. To each his own I guess, but I personally would be getting tired of wasting keystrokes.

Anyway, enough of that.

Lots of stuff coming from the Asheville shows, so I'll just paste some posts I've read:

Asheville Show 1:

Sound Check (in no particular order)
Starla
Translucent
Ava Adore
Aeroplane Flies High
Window Paine
With Every Light (Electric New Version)
7 Shades of Black
Come On (Let's Go)
Rocket Tease
Glass & The Ghost Children (New Version)
Apples & Oranges w drums (New Version)
Blue Skies Bring Tears (New Version)

Set List (no particular order, just what i remember .. been a long day, may have left something out)

United States
Doomsday Clock
Bleeding The Orchid
Today
Hummer
Glass & The Ghost Children (New Version)
Come On (Let's Go)
Tarantula
Disarm
Home
Lucky 13
Tonight Tonight
1979 (acoustic)
Daydream (acoustic)
Rocket (acoustic)
New Song (No Title/written last night/acoustic/djali zwaniish)
Translucent
Starla
Starz
Zero
Gossamer
Silver****
With Every Light

Show #2:

NIGHT 2 6/24/07 PLAYLIST (as posted by Spankarine on page 4...it took me 30 seconds to find).

SET I
ZERO
STAND INSIDE YOUR LOVE
TODAY
STARZ
TARANTULA
HUMMER
HOME
BULLET WITH BUTTERFLY WINGS
UNITED STATES
NEVERLOST
BLUE SKIES

SET II
TO SHEILA
CRYING TREE
I DON'T MIND
?
TONIGHT
CHERUB ROCK
LUCKY 13
DOOMSDAY CLOCK
C'MON LET'S GO
UNTITLED
--------------------------------------
E:
MUZZLE
SILVERF*CK
-------------------------------------
E2:
GOSSAMER

So, my friends (vitaldust and kitkat21) and i drove down to Asheville this morning. As soon as we got here, we decided to take a walk down to the Peel and check it out a little. We peeked inside and saw lots of movement. The Pumpkins were inside rehearsing. And they played some awesome ****ing stuff

Bury Me
Cherry
Crush
Frail and Bedazzled
**** You
Heavy Metal Machine
In My Body
and they were messing around with the arrangement for Rocket.

It sounded SO great. We hung around a little and got to talk to Billy, Jimmy and Ginger. Not al that long, but they were really cool about it and seemed to be enjoying Asheville so far.
I haven't had a chance to read the other threads, so if they rehearsed any of this other stuff before, it's all new to me! Billy didn't confirm or deny that they would play any of them at the upcoming shows.
Awesome, just awesome.

Bebpo

Banned
Some nice songs there. The continued Adore and good-Machina-songs love is nice.

I hope someone recorded the first show. I'd like to hear their latest version of With Every Light.

Bebpo

Banned
distantmantra said:
That's really awesome that they played Cherry. Come on Whir!! Play Whir!!

Saw this while reading The Stranger today:
http://lineout.thestranger.com/2007/06/what_is_the_sound_of_one_ego_tripping

Can't really argue with the notion. Zeitgist definitely feels like a Billy/Billy/Billy (w/good drumming) album like TFE did (without good drummer for the most part). I was listening to Machina today and the spacey background sounds that kept a lot of the tracks from being pure hard rock songs is nowhere to be found in the new non-Iha SP.

Luckily, I think BC is a great musician and a good guy so I don't mind him controlling the album 100% (I like TFE), but I can't argue that it's not a bit of an ego thing (ie: that James interview where he's like "[Billy] hasn't even called me in 3 years".

On a side note: hurry up and leeeeeeeeak... :(

Diablos

Bebpo said:
Can't really argue with the notion. Zeitgist definitely feels like a Billy/Billy/Billy (w/good drumming) album like TFE did (without good drummer for the most part). I was listening to Machina today and the spacey background sounds that kept a lot of the tracks from being pure hard rock songs is nowhere to be found in the new non-Iha SP.
Not to be disrespectful, but WTF are you talking about?

I'm sitting here listening to Starz, Neverlost, and That's the Way... and I can tell you with 100% certainty, this is not pure hard rock cheesiness. These songs are incredible. Not to mention, they do have a Gish/Siamese/MCIS vibe, so I'm not sure what you're worried about.

Speaking of That's the Way -- excellent single choice.

These songs are really great. I can't wait for the album.

Also, TFE is definitely different than Pumpkins. As lame as this sounds, with SP comes a certain attitude from Billy and Jimmy. And it does drive the music. It's weird. TFE does not sound like a SP record, nor does Mary Star of the Sea.

edit: btw, I am now in contact with someone who's heard the album a lot, so if you want me to ask any specific questions, post them.

edit 2: Some info.

On the vocals:

"They are buried in the mix more on some songs. Layered in the others with backing vocals. Some are out-front like DC.

That's the Way vocals sound Zwan-like. (this is good because it's not out-front)

Come On (Let's Go) is buried, sort of like Siamese Dream."

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'm here to appreciate. Tarantula has really grown on me. I think Corgan's vocals need some post-processing to sound a little spacey, but otherwise it's a good song.

Diablos

last night's setlist

The Best I can (New?)
In a Dream - new
Not sure - ??
TAFH
Hummer
BWBW
In My Body
**** you
Orchid
Doomsday
Neverlost
Lucky 13
United states

End Set 1

Tonight
Tarantula
Starz
Zero
Starla
Blue Skies
Today
I Dont Mind
Rotten Apples
????
Cherub Rock
Untitled

End Set 2

Shame
Silver****

End encore 1

With every light

End encore 2

TAFH and **** You, ZOMG

Also, new songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw4mHyJ-rC0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT4P6jA5MKQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEZO_yDpMSw

http://www.smasheville.com/video/video/show?id=788216:Video:1909, http://www.smasheville.com/video/video/show?id=788216:Video:1715

http://www.smasheville.com/video/video/show?id=788216:Video:1706

those vids reminded me of how much TAFH rocks my nutsack. cant wait for the end of july! i'm hoping alex smith will be at the show, he is rumored to be a big pumpkins fan

Diablos

Death From Above leaked. Some store in the UK sold the Tarantula single too early, lawl.

A word of advice: Don't get the Best Buy version. It's got stupid religious lyrics. It sucks. I never ever flat out say that SP songs suck like this, but this is pretty bad. In fact, this is the first time I've ever really done that. The music is ok I guess... kinda sounds like a more stripped down TFE song, which I can appreciate. But the lyrics make me cringe. Stop singing about god already, b0lly. Yeesh.

Go figure, Best Buy sells a lot of music and their exclusive Zeitgeist has this trash. It'll probably sell more than the other versions just because a lot of people seem to buy their music at Best Buy these days. Crappy song.

Well, that's one version of Zeitgeist I won't be buying! Spread the word.

edit: Second listen. Seriously, I can't defend this song at all. You know it's a bad song when even I can't defend it :lol

Vicious

The entire thing has leaked, for those of you who know where to look. Not that I would ever DL pirated materials or encourage others to. *cough*

ZeoVGM

Banned
Congrats Smashing Pumpkins, you put out a completely generic album where nothing stands out. Not a single song on here that makes you go "SO GOOD".

It sounds so amateurish.

White Man

omg rite said:
Congrats Smashing Pumpkins, you put out a completely generic album where nothing stands out. Not a single song on here that makes you go "SO GOOD".

It sounds so amateurish.

The guitars sound the same on too man of the songs. Tre put it best when he said he started the album, and he thought the first song was Tarantula.

Top Bottom