• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Grimmy

Banned
Reese-015 said:
What the hell, I understand that a lot of people don't dig the album but I'd most definitely say it's damn 'fresh'.

On the first listen I found myself constantly thinking "what a daring move to do a comeback with an album that is not only very different from all other rock stuff today but also very different from the old Pumpkins". The heavy layered guitars often clashing with choruses, the peculiar mixing of the vocals and f/x, almost zero focus on traditionally catchy stuff, the experimental For God And Country, the only-hardcore-fans-will-get-it Pomp And Circumstance, need I go on? I just don't get it, I was very amazed by this album at first and wasn't sure what to think of it, only upon second listen did it really click and it's definitely a favorite of mine now.

I like Pomp and Circumstance too, and the traditional stuff like 7 Shades of Black, but much of it, like Starz or Bring the Light, feels like it's just mixed wrong. The songs themselves are good but lacking that "spark". I mean, I've liked pretty much everything Billy's done (yes, I also liked Machina, Mary and TFE), so it's just disappointing that this one just doesn't click with me.

Bebpo

Banned
Man, the people on Netphoria are so jaded. Everyone piss and moans about 30 min Gossamer and wants other songs instead, but for those who haven't been to the east coast or Euro shows, it's new and awesome. Gossamer really isn't a song for boots. You can enjoy it and all, but it's really just about the intense moments going on right in front of you. From guitars rocking the intro out to the solo drums, it's excellent music in your face. Like the part where it goes to organs and Billy goes "We'll find you another son..., we'll find you another son to love, we'll find you another son./we'll find you another son..., we'll find you another son to kill, we'll find you another son." is something that just doesn't translate well on the mp3s. The whole loud full on out rocking dropping to nothing except darkness and this organ and Billy's somber voice...it's just incredibly powerful and almost brings you to tears; especially at near 1am when every is sort of in a passed out daze but at that moment BC has everyone's full attention.

To me I see Gossamer as the 2007 Silver****. Silver**** is the young kid with the whole world in front of him and full of blood excited. Gossamer is the 10 year later man whose seen the world, lost hope, and is sending off the world with a somber riff.

Speaking of which, Billy looked pretty skinny and paler than usual. Hopefully he's doing ok, and not withering away after all the zeitgeist and soon to be tour criticism ^^;

Diablos said:
Awesome post, man. I'm glad you enjoyed the show.

What's The Leaving Lament like? Not in terms of an impression or something, just its general sound?

Eh, it was late, I was tired like most people at the show, and they were acoustic and just sorta there. Can't really remember either, and I think half the time I was just trying to place the songs before giving up and figuring I've never heard them.

And wow, those girls did not grow up well ^^;

Bebpo

Banned
Tyrone Slothrop said:
thats why i just stay away from boots. despite the fact sp arguably has the best and varied live shows of any band

Well, they're still good music because they have the variation and new mixes of songs, but just obviously, they're not as good as the real thing :)

Diablos

Ok, so I just fully read over your impressions, very very nice. Their live show has been solid lately, I wonder why they had problems? Could've just been somewhat of an off night. Rolling Stone already wrote about the show, saying Gossamer was too long and "don't call it a reunion -- yet." What the **** do these people know?

Also, Netphoria is a joke. The people who run it suck, and a lot of the people who post there suck.

Diablos

The top five albums for the week ending July 15:

1. 'T.I. vs. T.I.P.,' T.I. (175,000 in 2nd week; 644,000 total)
2. 'Zeitgeist,' the Smashing Pumpkins (146,000 in 1st week)
3. 'Hannah Montana 2: Meet Miley Cyrus,' soundtrack (128,000 in 3rd week; 642,000 total)
4. 'Our Love to Admire,' Interpol (73,000 in 1st week)
5. 'My December,' Kelly Clarkson (59,000 in 3rd week; 463,000 total)

http://www.spinner.com/2007/07/18/with-a-bullet-todays-charts/

****in' T.I. :mad:

At least Zeitgeist didn't get outsold by Hannah Montana :lol

Man, what a shitty week of album sales (which is to say nothing out of the ordinary).

Macam

Banned
Infinitemadness said:

That more or less sums up my view, notably the Iommi/Cure comments (which I found fairly amusing since Robert Smith joined BC on his cover of To Love Somebody on his solo album and co-wrote Black Oblivion w/Tony Iommi). It seems like a lot of reviews just didn't enjoy the "hard-rock architecture" and were more focused on looking for the next Today or Hummer or some sort of American Idiot/Pearl Jam laser focused political rock album. Glad to see at least one prominent music review out there that at least mentioned it and brought that aspect to light, regardless of what the score may have been. It's that sound where I lose myself the most in the music which probably explains why I can never stop playing things like Through the Eyes of a Ruby from their '96 so-called Naked Man show.

Grimmy said:
Hello fellow AMSPer! :)

Hey Grimfarrow! I think you, Terrene, and myself have had our little AMSP nostalgia fest in this thread previously. :)

Is AMSP even alive anymore? Last time I checked it out was during Zwan's abbreviated heyday.

Crispy

OMG never listened to The Samshing Pumpkins before and bought this album on a whim, but I'm glad I did! It's awesome! Could you guys list some other albums (from the smashing pumpkins) I should be listening to?

Diablos

Crispy said:
OMG never listened to The Samshing Pumpkins before and bought this album on a whim, but I'm glad I did! It's awesome! Could you guys list some other albums (from the smashing pumpkins) I should be listening to?
<3

You should start with Gish and Siamese Dream.

Macam

Banned
Diablos said:
No wai.

Gish is awesome.

I just think if you're coming from Zeitgeist, which has a much more layered, production focused sound, that something like Gish, which is definitely a good album in its own right, isn't really where'd you want to head next. Comparatively, Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie (especially Mellon Collie in my opinion) are great starting points. From there, you can go in any direction, as the other 4 albums (or 5, if you count Machina II) deviate further in sound in different ways. I'm not trying to knock Gish in any way, as I think anyone that likes the Pumpkins even remotely can get into something like I Am One. Which reminds me, do you have the 1989 album, Diablos? I'm somewhat curious what you think of that, if you do or have heard it.

Oh, and Crispy, they do have a Greatest Hits album (called Rotten Apples) which spans all their albums along with some notable B-sides and contributions (I still can't believe Drown never made it onto a proper studio album), so that's also a great way to quickly get a good sample of things. It's pretty much chronological too, so you can more or less see how their sound evolved and what you like.

Diablos

Yeah I have the 1989 album. It's different. They sound like an 80's band for the most part, lolz

As for Gish, it's pretty heavy in its own way. Quite honestly it sounds like a sick combination of shoegaze and metal in some places.

Bebpo

Banned
Diablos said:
Excellent choice.

But, after that, get Gish! Don't listen to them! huahuahuah

Gish is my least favorite album of theirs. The songs are good, but it's just...too amateurish sounding to grab me.

Macam

Banned
On an off note, has there been any word whether the Zwan material is gone and dead? Sans an extra guitarist and some rehearsals, there isn't much stopping BC from playing any of those songs, though I imagine he'd be rather careful and passionate to keep the two identities separate after the Zwan falling out. Still, to see Jesus, I, Spilled Milk, and co. just fall to the wayside is a bit of a shame as there were some great Zwan songs, though most of them seemed to have been saved for the live shows and the like (i.e., Pinkpop). Any concert goer want to yell out a request at their next show:)?

BirdBomb

Banned
at first listen in i thought the album was trash. listening to it more, i think it is very good.

im not too fond of the first few tracks, but right around that's the way, the album is like a night and day difference all the way to the end. definitely the best album i have heard in a long time.

MaX_PL

Banned
Reese-015 said:
What the hell, I understand that a lot of people don't dig the album but I'd most definitely say it's damn 'fresh'.

On the first listen I found myself constantly thinking "what a daring move to do a comeback with an album that is not only very different from all other rock stuff today but also very different from the old Pumpkins". The heavy layered guitars often clashing with choruses, the peculiar mixing of the vocals and f/x, almost zero focus on traditionally catchy stuff, the experimental For God And Country, the only-hardcore-fans-will-get-it Pomp And Circumstance, need I go on? I just don't get it, I was very amazed by this album at first and wasn't sure what to think of it, only upon second listen did it really click and it's definitely a favorite of mine now.

EXACTLY. anyone who doesnt understand this does not listen to SP.

MaX_PL

Banned
Grimmy said:
So let me guess...I should listen to what to be considered "in" for you"? My Chemical Romance? Velvet Revolver? Incubus???

There are other artists I like, like The White Stripes and Modest Mouse. But there's also an ever-increasing list of artists I *stopped* listening to: Nine Inch Nails, Garbage, Tool, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, etc. I simply got bored.

And this is the exact same problem with this new album - it is mostly just rehashed sounds.

BTW I saw the Pumpkins three times - including the final concert in Chicago. All three times WERE IN THE US.

actually i hate every band you listed with the exception of some RHCP songs.

dunno if this is cliche, but my favorite music is by moby, the verve, radiohead, enya, sp. besides the artists listed, i'll listen to all sorts of music but wont list anyone else as a favorite artist.

Diablos

Fun fact: The title "Tarantula" (and I would assume at least some of the music) is a tribute to The Scorpions. Pretty cool, and is an instant stfu to any stupid critic or braindead disc jockey that wants to sound informed and say SP is trying to rip off Green Day, MCR, etc.

Which brings me to my next fun fact: Reprise had Green Day's producer lined up for Billy and Jimmy, but they turned him down and went with Roy Thomas Baker because they wanted to. Respect.

Grimmy

Banned
MaX_PL said:
actually i hate every band you listed with the exception of some RHCP songs.

dunno if this is cliche, but my favorite music is by moby, the verve, radiohead, enya, sp. besides the artists listed, i'll listen to all sorts of music but wont list anyone else as a favorite artist.

I hate the bands I listed too - I was being facetious.

But then, Enya??? The Verve?? Moby??? Ugh... Radiohead I do like. Moby was good for a bit but after PLAY he began to suck. Hard.

Grimmy

Banned
distantmantra said:
Hey Grimfarrow! I think you, Terrene, and myself have had our little AMSP nostalgia fest in this thread previously. :)

Is AMSP even alive anymore? Last time I checked it out was during Zwan's abbreviated heyday.

Yes indeed we did, but wanted to give you all a shout-out anyhow :)
I haven't been to AMSP in years. I have no idea if it's alive or not either. I think most of us regulars are probably scattered to the winds...

Grimmy said:
Yes indeed we did, but wanted to give you all a shout-out anyhow :)
I haven't been to AMSP in years. I have no idea if it's alive or not either. I think most of us regulars are probably scattered to the winds...

I stopped by AMSP earlier today. R. Mast and Eric Wong had found their way back from what I saw.

Manics

Banned
Diablos said:
Fun fact: The title "Tarantula" (and I would assume at least some of the music) is a tribute to The Scorpions. Pretty cool, and is an instant stfu to any stupid critic or braindead disc jockey that wants to sound informed and say SP is trying to rip off Green Day, MCR, etc.

Which brings me to my next fun fact: Reprise had Green Day's producer lined up for Billy and Jimmy, but they turned him down and went with Roy Thomas Baker because they wanted to. Respect.

They should have went with Green Day's producer.

MaX_PL

Banned
Grimmy said:
I hate the bands I listed too - I was being facetious.

But then, Enya??? The Verve?? Moby??? Ugh... Radiohead I do like. Moby was good for a bit but after PLAY he began to suck. Hard.

Well youre kinda right about the Verve; i dont know why I still think theyre great.

Moby though, I love the music. On par with Radiohead and SP if you ask me. For me at least, you can listen to Moby or Radiohead and never be upset and just enjoy it regardless of the mood youre in. And as for Enya, well I just find many of her songs enjoyable on long trips to school. Its surprising how much of her music grows on you the more you listen to it.

yes! it's finally here! i'll be at the show tomorrow and wednesday. gaffers look for possibly the only person in an autographed alex smith jersey
psyche! i will probably wear a niners hat though

Top Bottom