• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Diablos

You're gonna hear a lot of the new songs, including "Superchrist", which sounds just like United States. :\

Other than that, the new songs, from what I've heard, range from pretty good to awesome.

Have fun at your 23980492374th SP concert :D

Duffclown

Did anyone get the setlist for the July 30th concert? It was incredible!! I was so fortunate that they were there on my vacation.

Incredible venue. Never been to a place like the Fillmore.

i'm back fellas. both shows rocked my balls off! i think the setlist last night we a little better. they played half acoustic set, then came back for electric. acoustic you got drown, 1979, winterlong, and a bunch of stuff i didn't know :/ and i dont know what the songs name is, but the first song he played acoustic with the harmonica is ****ing awesome. he played it on the 31st too.

as far as electric goes, great show both nights, possibly a little better the first night as far as electric. they played zero, tonight tonight, starz (holy shit!), tarantula, and the awesome heavy metal machine remix/jam. 100% better than the original HMM. also gossamer rocked but truth be told it lagged a bit in the middle.

last night electric they played cherub rock, hummer, shame, doomsday, tarauntula, that's the way (ugh), glass + ghost children, and ended with **** YOU! yes! also, jimmy/billy came out for the first encore and did zeitgeist acoustic.

one thing i noticed is that jeff and ginger are lifeless bodies. jeff is a great guitarist no doubt about it but man he is a statue. i'm not asking for the punk rock jump every 5 minutes but shit if you're nailing a bad ass solo at least do SOMETHING cool.

the venue itself is awesome. and san francisco is an awesome city! i wish i lived there :(

go niners!

Macam

Banned
Sounds like an awesome set, though I have to say that That's the Way is probably one of the best songs on Zeitgeist, and it stuck out as such on the very spin of the record to me. I'm somewhat surprised you didn't care for it, unless it was the live version that you took issue with. Regardless, sounds like an absolutely awesome show. Hopefully, SP translates that to the non-residency shows, as I'd absolutely love to hear any of those tracks...especially F*ck You/An Ode to No One.

forgot they also sended the first night with Silver****. they also played muzzle the first night as an encore :DDD

and i don't like that's the way much period. it was a little better live, but i just don't like the song much. i wish they traded it out with 7 shades live :(

also during one of the new songs billy started it and then messed up and stopped and said "why do i always have to make these songs so difficult? it's just too hard. i should just skip it!" but then he ended up playing it again and he did it right :D

Diablos

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i'm back fellas. both shows rocked my balls off! i think the setlist last night we a little better. they played half acoustic set, then came back for electric. acoustic you got drown, 1979, winterlong, and a bunch of stuff i didn't know :/ and i dont know what the songs name is, but the first song he played acoustic with the harmonica is ****ing awesome. he played it on the 31st too.

as far as electric goes, great show both nights, possibly a little better the first night as far as electric. they played zero, tonight tonight, starz (holy shit!), tarantula, and the awesome heavy metal machine remix/jam. 100% better than the original HMM. also gossamer rocked but truth be told it lagged a bit in the middle.

last night electric they played cherub rock, hummer, shame, doomsday, tarauntula, that's the way (ugh), glass + ghost children, and ended with **** YOU! yes! also, jimmy/billy came out for the first encore and did zeitgeist acoustic.

one thing i noticed is that jeff and ginger are lifeless bodies. jeff is a great guitarist no doubt about it but man he is a statue. i'm not asking for the punk rock jump every 5 minutes but shit if you're nailing a bad ass solo at least do SOMETHING cool.

the venue itself is awesome. and san francisco is an awesome city! i wish i lived there :(

go niners!
Well to be fair, when did you see James jumping around on stage? He kinda stood there too. Although Linda Strawberry said Jeff got pissed off at one of the recent shows and smashed his guitar in a fit of rage.

Glad you enjoyed the show, and yes, Starz owns live.

Gossamer is heavily inspired by Grateful Dead, I think, especially with the whole "sit through ten hours of feedback" jam in the middle. Perhaps they should keep it at 10 minutes (instead of 30ish) so they can bust out more classics like Geek, Ruby, Soma, I Am One, etc.

i saw james active the last time i saw SP. he did a few jumps and also talked to the crowd. jeff didn't say SHIT. even last night billy wished someone happy birthday and then said "jeff is there anyone you'd like to wish a happy birthday?" and he didn't say shit he just looked nervous, shrugged his shoulders and shook his head. bleh!

jimmy was on his GAME. tore that shit up all night long. incredible drummer.

Diablos

Don't talk about Jimmy or else I won't be able to shut up. The guy just owns, that's all there is to it, no argument needs to be made. He's one of the best drummers around.

If Jeff wants to be nervous, he's allowed. He plays his parts incredibly well from what I have heard.

Nick said:
I saw you and I spilled a drink on you.

Uh.... no you didn't.

It was a good show, but I'm still reeling from 48 hours of traveling between Seattle, San Fransisco, Denver and Omaha to really give any form of coherent thought on it, though.

Diablos

distantmantra said:
Uh.... no you didn't.

It was a good show, but I'm still reeling from 48 hours of traveling between Seattle, San Fransisco, Denver and Omaha to really give any form of coherent thought on it, though.
That's a lot of traveling.

He plays his parts incredibly well from what I have heard.

his playing is flawless. didn't miss a note, played incredibly tight. i just want some more personality on stage thats all!

ginger reyes is another story. she is also boring, but her playing isn't great either. she ****ed up the sweet little bass part in Neverlost last night. she skipped like 5 of the notes, didn't sound cool at all. f you ginger!

Diablos

Ginger's been pretty solid from what I've heard. Although I can see how she would have a hard time keeping up at times considering the bands she came from. I still say Billy is dumb for turning down Eric Avery. Thankfully SP doesn't put a huge emphasis on the bass guitar, and with Jimmy in charge of the rhythm section, who cares :p

Peace & Love is cool. Sounds like Bob Dylan or something.

Macam

Banned
I don't know if anyone here's been following SP's Day In The Life video series, but it's pretty awesome. The new songs sound absolutely awesome and to anyone who's not into Zeitgeist and prefers the more Gish/Mellon Collie B-side sound, you should dig around as the acoustic versions of the new songs are much more in that vein (99 Floors, The Rose March, etc). Point in case, check out BC working on The Rose March. That's also the first time I've ever seen BC's birthmark that he would constantly reference to being ashamed of growing up, which I've never seen -- but it explains the cover to his solo album, The Future Embrace, a lot.

btw, is there a cleaner, full version of Superchrist around? There's a shoddy YouTube version and that's about it save for the teaser during rehearsal on SP's site. It has a very Zeitgeist Doomsday Clock vibe to it, so I'm eager to hear it in full.

Diablos

I don't really like Superchrist. It sounds just like United States. I love United States, but Billy is not one to repeat himself so I hope he doesn't keep exploiting that exact same sound.

Do a youtube search, there should be something.

edit: Cool video...

edit 2: Macam, thanks for posting that.

http://www.brightcove.com/title.jsp?title=1130047798&channel=1080180395&lineup=-1

Awesome to see how they communicate. I can now see why they are so hung up on keeping Blue Skies in the setlist, it sounds amazing. Makes me forget about the mediocre (at best) Machina version.

http://www.brightcove.com/title.jsp?title=1130049278&channel=1080180395&lineup=-1

I like these new songs! The one at the end of this clip sounds like a more folky Hummer or something, but in a totally new way.

Diablos

Jeff is an official member now!

Smashing Pumpkins Get Violet Burning Guitarist

Published: 2007-08-07

Jeff Schroeder, former Violet Burning guitarist, has recently joined the Smashing Pumpkins new line up. Schroeder is not just a touring member, but an official member of the band and had started auditioning for the Pumpkins this time last summer. Lead singer Michael Pritzl of the Violet Burning says of the move, "[Jeff] has worked super hard to get to a very high level as a guitar player, and he remains a humble and faithful friend."

The Smashing Pumpkins will be playing in Canada this Fall, here are the dates where you can catch the new line up:

September 8, Montreal, QC - Osheaga Music & Arts Festival
September 9, Toronto, ON - Virgin Festival
September 24, Vancouver, BC - PNE Forum

For more on the Violet Burning please visit www.thevioletburning.com.

Writer: Soul Shine Staff

http://www.soulshine.ca/news/newsarticle.php?nid=4648

come back james :(

jeff is cool though. a talented guitarist but we haven't seen him put any of his signatures on the pumpkins yet so we can't know for certain if he is in iha's league as a guitarist on a technical and creative level.

Diablos

FMT said:
come back james :(

jeff is cool though. a talented guitarist but we haven't seen him put any of his signatures on the pumpkins yet so we can't know for certain if he is in iha's league as a guitarist on a technical and creative level.

Here's a song he did with Violet Burning (I am trying to track down some CD's as I type this).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3_DRyeDX7c

It has a very Siamese Dream-y sound.

I'd love to see those posters, btw.

I really don't wanna write James off or anything, but I think Jeff is a better guitarist in many ways. The question is if he's as creative as James, or if he's only better from strictly a technical standpoint. We won't know the answer to that question for at least a couple years.

6231_1.JPG

there is the poster. i have 2 of them.... i'm going to buy a frame for one and hang it up next to my alex smith bringing sexy back poster!

not sure what im going to do with the other one buddy ;)

Zep

Banned
Rumor going around with 3 Doors down and SP doing an album. Hopefully 3DD can teach billy how to make a song.

Diablos

Big Zep said:
Rumor going around with 3 Doors down and SP doing an album. Hopefully 3DD can teach billy how to make a song.
:lol

edit: Nice lyrics for these demos!

Geek USA: "She don't like me... 'cause I wear her clothes" :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Macam

Banned
SP just posted the That's The Way My Love Is Video: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=16914466

I'm not much of a fan of this one either, as it's just not a terribly exciting video, though I liked the premise at the outset. It lacks the energy the song has though, and I was secretly hoping we'd get something on the caliber of the Stand Inside Your Love video (even if the song has more of a thicker, more energetic Try, Try, Try/Stand Inside Your Love type of hybrid sound). Still, I'm glad they're pushing out singles. The local radio stations have been playing quite a bit of Pumpkins new and old of late, and it's refreshing to hear the more full rock sound back on the radio, rather than a lot of the more chord driven stuff that gets cranked out. Here's to hoping they go ahead with a Doomsday Clock video and really get some iconic out of it.

Diablos

I think Doomsday was more of a "hay we're back" single, no video was ever made/planned to be made for it iirc.

The video sure looks slick, but it really has nothing to do with the song. Not to say that's the worst thing in the world, as it is some splendid eye candy imo.

Macam

Banned
Diablos said:
I think Doomsday was more of a "hay we're back" single, no video was ever made/planned to be made for it iirc.

The video sure looks slick, but it really has nothing to do with the song. Not to say that's the worst thing in the world, as it is some splendid eye candy imo.

Probably, though it'd be rather silly to ignore such a key track in terms of promotion. To me, it's effectively the Bullet w/Butterfly Wings of the album -- it's powerful, it lends itself well to imagery, including the Zeitgeist theme, and, it's just a flat out awesome track. It'd also be a shame to let that one sit on the shelf.

Diablos said:

The video for Tarantula also had nothing to do with the song.

Macam

Banned
siamesedreamer said:
Wasn't it me who said "That's the Way" was the best song for the next single?

Yes it was... :D

When I bought the album, I explicitly remember it had a sticker on the front that read something like "Includes the new single "Tarantula". Also featuring Doomsday Clock, That's the Way.." so I think that was more or less predetermined from the outset.

terrene

Banned
Macam said:
SP just posted the That's The Way My Love Is Video: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=16914466

I'm not much of a fan of this one either, as it's just not a terribly exciting video, though I liked the premise at the outset. It lacks the energy the song has though, and I was secretly hoping we'd get something on the caliber of the Stand Inside Your Love video (even if the song has more of a thicker, more energetic Try, Try, Try/Stand Inside Your Love type of hybrid sound). Still, I'm glad they're pushing out singles. The local radio stations have been playing quite a bit of Pumpkins new and old of late, and it's refreshing to hear the more full rock sound back on the radio, rather than a lot of the more chord driven stuff that gets cranked out. Here's to hoping they go ahead with a Doomsday Clock video and really get some iconic out of it.
This is one of the better songs on the record, although it's a little "safe," and it's a shame that it has such a near-monochromatic, impersonal video. My favorite shot was simply the overhead view of Jimmy drumming that lasted 3 seconds. I realized then that I had been looking at fucking spaceships and shit for 4 minutes and had been rather bored. Oh well.

I've got tickets for the 10/30 show in ATL. Only problem is that I've got an appointment at MD Anderson in Houston the same day. I think they were $75 each. How much y'all think I could get for them on Ebay?

Diablos

distantmantra said:
The video for Tarantula also had nothing to do with the song.
Yeah, but it was just a performance video with some nice effects.

That's the Way seems to have some kind of futuristic theme. Tarantula is easily understood as your basic performance video.

siamesedreamer said:
I've got tickets for the 10/30 show in ATL. Only problem is that I've got an appointment at MD Anderson in Houston the same day. I think they were $75 each. How much y'all think I could get for them on Ebay?
A lot. Some SP tickets are as high as $300-400 iirc.

Too bad you're missing out -- can't you reschedule the appointment?

Ahhh, October 9th is so close.

I really hope they play Starla and TAFH, but I doubt it since these aren't the special shows. Either way, I'm getting all jumpy just thinking about this. It's like I have to make myself forget about the concert just so I can stay calm. :lol

Diablos

Chicago is too good for the shows they will be playing throughout the US with an opening act and all. When they play Chicago, it has to be big. Apparently they are going to do a huge surprise show. It would make sense if true.

that is bull that they aren't playing a normal show in los angeles. give me a fucking break!

now im cool with paying $100 to go to LA invasion and see the pumpkins and foo fighters, but i'd rather see both bands separately.

Top Bottom