• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teknoman said:
Anyone want to enlighten me on why people want Super Smash Bros so bad?
Because unlike its sequels it doesn't try to be a serious fighting game. It knows it's an amazing party game and goes with that.

That said I still love Brawl and Melee to death

Capndrake

Dash Kappei said:
Bleah.
Is there a point in releasing Monster Land SMS?
It was the last "unique" Wonder Boy game not available on VC yet, not counting Monster World IV (Which probably won't come). It's not as good as Monster World or Dragon's Trap but I like it.

beje

Banned
Emotions said:
It's time for Mischief Makers and Ogre Battle 64 to get on the VC as well Snowboard Kids....

Sadly, it looks like third party N64 games seem to be out of the question. Not a single one has been released in more than two year aside from Sin & Punishment (which was produced by Nintendo I think, so it may count as first party too)

beje said:
Sadly, it looks like third party N64 games seem to be out of the question. Not a single one has been released in more than two year aside from Sin & Punishment (which was produced by Nintendo I think, so it may count as first party too)

It's interesting. There doesn't seem to be a problem with any other system, so why no third-parties on the N64?

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Emotions said:
It's time for Mischief Makers and Ogre Battle 64 to get on the VC as well Snowboard Kids....

Isn't there some kind of rights dispute regarding Mischief Makers? I don't know the details, but it seems that even if we were getting third-party N64 games, Mischief Makers would be out of the question. It's too bad, because Mischief Makers is a fantastic game.

But, thoughts of "lol, third-party N64 games" aside, it is strange that we haven't gotten any. (Sin and Punishment doesn't really count since it was Nintendo-published) Not that it's a deep well to draw from, but there are still a few good ones we could be getting.

beje

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
It's interesting. There doesn't seem to be a problem with any other system, so why no third-parties on the N64?

Mostly because most of them needed a controller pak, which would require some (massive) re-programming, then there goes three options:

a) Games are not supposed to be modified at all. This is not really plausible as Nintendo themselves have modified Mario Kart 64 to allow saving ghost races (which was only possible with a controller pak) and added the option to transfer photos to the Wii from Pokémon Snap.

b) Third parties just want to send their games "as is" and receive their paycheck as they do with the other systems in VC so they refuse to assign a team to an N64 game even to change "controller pak port 1" to "save slot 1". Obscure studios and publishers holding IPs from dead studios (Acclaim, etc...) may have something to do with this point too. This is the most realistic option.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
beje said:
This is not really plausible as Nintendo themselves have modified Mario Kart 64 to allow saving ghost races (which was only possible with a controller pak)

When did that happen? As far as I knew, Mario Kart 64 on VC had no support for saving ghosts.

Jiggy

If the GAF discussion last time Mischief Makers came up is any indication, the issue is that Treasure developed while Enix published and they dispute who owns the IP. Edit: Looking below, I sure hope jarrod's right.

Teknoman said:
Anyone want to enlighten me on why people want Super Smash Bros so bad?
I sold off the N64 original years ago because I couldn't go back to its slow pace after Melee--but after Brawl went back to being slow, I really want to have all three readily available for comparison purposes. Besides, I think it'll play much better with a GC controller than it ever did with the N64's.

jarrod

Banned
Capndrake said:
EU VC update:

-Mario Golf (N64)
-Wonder Boy in Monster Land (SMS)
YES! Monster Land Monday plz!

TheGrayGhost said:
Yoshi's Island is definitely my most wanted game. Hopefully, its absence means there is a Wii iteration in the works.
SFX2 emulation probably means it's a ways off. We haven't even seen any SFX1 chip games yet. :/

Cosmonaut X said:
They're more work. Nintendo does all NES/SNES/N64 emulation and testing inhouse, from their perspective it's probably not worth sinking the investment into 3rd party N64 stuff yet.

Iam Canadian said:
Isn't there some kind of rights dispute regarding Mischief Makers?
It was thought so until Ragukagi Showtime came to PSN. That couldn't have happened if Enix and Treasure were still fighting over IPs....

jarrod

Banned
jay said:
Anyone have any idea if there is even the slightest chance the states will get C64 games?
No clue.

I'm more curious if we'll get MSX games... especially since they're now being translated to english for Project EGG and iPhone...

Jiggy

Wonder Boy in Monster Land on Monday would be nice. I'm all set to get demolished again and again, seeing so many people make claims about its difficulty--especially since I didn't even have an entirely easy time with some of the Dragon's Curse bosses and will probably never beat the final boss of Wonder Boy in Monster World.

jay

Jiggy said:
Wonder Boy in Monster Land on Monday would be nice. I'm all set to get demolished again and again, seeing so many people make claims about its difficulty--especially since I didn't even have an entirely easy time with some of the Dragon's Curse bosses and will probably never beat the final boss of Wonder Boy in Monster World.

Fear the timer! I think I got stuck on the final boss in Monster World, too. Assuming that means you are exactly as good at games as me, after many play throughs you will finally get stuck in the final maze dungeon (which is where the next game opens).

jarrod said:
No clue.

I'm more curious if we'll get MSX games... especially since they're now being translated to english for Project EGG and iPhone...

MSX would also be nice. Maybe I'll finally get to play the original crappier version of Golvellius.

jarrod

Banned
Jiggy said:
LOL. Even thinking about VC Dragon's Curse makes my eyes water. Damn Hudson's shitty emulation!

Sega needs to deliver the SMS version so I can actually play through it again.

jay said:
MSX would also be nice. Maybe I'll finally get to play the original crappier version of Golvellius.
Both MSX versions were already translated! :D

Sega needs to get on that SMS version asap. Actually, there's a lot of great SMS games they need to get on (Psycho Fox, Zillion, Golden Axe Legend, Phantasy Star, Shinobi World, Bubble Bobble, R-Type, Ghouls n’ Ghosts, Rampage, etc, etc).

jay

jarrod said:
LOL. Even thinking about VC Dragon's Curse makes my eyes water. Damn Hudson's shitty emulation!

Sega needs to deliver the SMS version so I can actually play through it again.

Both MSX versions were already translated! :D

Sega needs to get on that SMS version asap. Actually, there's a lot of great SMS games they need to get on (Psycho Fox, Zillion, Golden Axe Legend, Phantasy Star, Shinobi World, Bubble Bobble, R-Type, Ghouls n’ Ghosts, Rampage, etc, etc).

Sega's version of Dragon's Trap was better and had better music. I know Golvellius was translated and then the remake too but it's not the same. When I was in college I downloaded a billion ROMs and played each for 3 seconds. To really appreciate it, as stupid as this sounds, it needs to cost me something. or maybe I just need to exercise self control.

Those SMS games should come out but I grew up with a Master System and still own a lot of them so I can wait. And I'm offended you didn't mention Miracle Warriors.

Jiggy

I'd probably buy Dragon's Trap on VC--Ialready double-dipped on both versions of Monster World, and those were more expensive. Really wish that series would make a comeback these days (on DS, WiiWare, XBLA, DSiWare, whatever it took), though I guess I'm part of the problem for not having even heard about it before VC.

I'd definitely buy Monster World IV too, but the odds of that--yeah. :(

jarrod

Banned
jay said:
Sega's version of Dragon's Trap was better and had better music. I know Golvellius was translated and then the remake too but it's not the same. When I was in college I downloaded a billion ROMs and played each for 3 seconds. To really appreciate it, as stupid as this sounds, it needs to cost me something. or maybe I just need to exercise self control.

Those SMS games should come out but I grew up with a Master System and still own a lot of them so I can wait. And I'm offended you didn't mention Miracle Warriors.
But Golvellus MSX/2 was translated for money. It was on the short lived woomb.net, along with some other Compile games (Aleste, Aleste 2, Zanac & Zanac EX iirc).

Also, I HATE Miracle Warriors. Sorry. :(

cvxfreak

Can we expect to see the last two SNES-era Mario games I care about, Super Mario Kart and Yoshi's Island, to show up in 2009? (I care about Super Mario All Stars too, but let's be realistic about that one...)

I loved Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart Wii a lot, but my memory is very rusty on SMK. It'd be nice to play Yoshi's Island again on the big screen (I put my GC away due to space issues, so no GB Player for me).

jarrod

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Can we expect to see the last two SNES-era Mario games I care about, Super Mario Kart and Yoshi's Island, to show up in 2009? (I care about Super Mario All Stars too, but let's be realistic about that one...)

I loved Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart Wii a lot, but my memory is very rusty on SMK. It'd be nice to play Yoshi's Island again on the big screen (I put my GC away due to space issues, so no GB Player for me).
Both use currently unemulated chips. DSP-1 (SMK) and Super FX-2 (YI). :(

cvxfreak

jarrod said:
Both use currently unemulated chips. DSP-1 (SMK) and Super FX-2 (YI). :(

:(

Guess I'll never get that all-Mario channel front page I was hoping for on my Japanese Wii. :lol

Super Mario Galaxy - Mario Bros. - Super Mario Bros. - Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario USA - Super Mario Bros. 3 - Super Mario World - Super Mario 64
Super Mario RPG - Paper Mario - Yoshi's Island - Yoshi's Story

jarrod

Banned
cvxfreak said:
:(

Guess I'll never get that all-Mario channel front page I was hoping for on my Japanese Wii. :lol

Super Mario Galaxy - Mario Bros. - Super Mario Bros. - Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario USA - Super Mario Bros. 3 - Super Mario World - Super Mario 64
Super Mario RPG - Paper Mario - Yoshi's Island - Yoshi's Story
You can sub Dr Mario RX. :lol

Jiggy said:
Or Mario Golf. Or Mario Tennis, if that ever shows up despite the GC remake.
Since we're getting a remake, I doubt we'll see Mario Tennis, but I hope to the heavens that I'm wrong. That game is awesome.

cvxfreak

Jiggy said:

Maybe one of the Mario Party games will show up too. It's been long enough since MP8, and we did get Smash Bros., so prequels aren't always automatically out.

jay

jarrod said:
But Golvellus MSX/2 was translated for money. It was on the short lived woomb.net, along with some other Compile games (Aleste, Aleste 2, Zanac & Zanac EX iirc).

Also, I HATE Miracle Warriors. Sorry. :(

Oh yeah, I checked woomb.net last week looking for it actually. 'Twas down. Or over. Or something. And why no love for Haja no Fūin? Nice enemy art, sweet music, four character party, topless demon chick as final boss...

jay said:
When I was in college I downloaded a billion ROMs and played each for 3 seconds. To really appreciate it, as stupid as this sounds, it needs to cost me something. or maybe I just need to exercise self control.

:lol I'm the same way. However, I've bought over 80 VC games and I've only really played, much less finished, a handful of them. I guess it's just knowing that I own the game legitimately that makes VC more satisfying.

Jiggy

crowphoenix said:
Since we're getting a remake, I doubt we'll see Mario Tennis, but I hope to the heavens that I'm wrong. That game is awesome.
With Smash Bros. being out in Japan despite Brawl, I'm not worried just because the remake exists.

Besides, if by any chance Nintendo took Gamecube controller support out of the GC remake, they'll have to throw us analog stick purists a bone somehow to be nice. :p they need some kind of contingency plan to profit from us purists. To say nothing of double-dippers!

On a separate note that's only somewhat on-topic, I'm surprised Nintendo isn't doing (or at least hasn't announced that they'll do) a remake of the GC Mario Golf too. I realize their Wii Sports golf controls weren't anywhere near that of the tennis ones, but still. And I doubt they specifically held back because they figured the N64 VC release was sufficient.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Jiggy said:

Well speak of the devil, Europe just got Mario Golf on VC today. :lol

They also got Wonder Boy in Monster Land for the Master System. Working on the OP now.

[edit] ...aaaaand done. OP is finished for the week.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Jiggy said:
On a separate note that's only somewhat on-topic, I'm surprised Nintendo isn't doing (or at least hasn't announced that they'll do) a remake of the GC Mario Golf too. I realize their Wii Sports golf controls weren't anywhere near that of the tennis ones, but still. And I doubt they specifically held back because they figured the N64 VC release was sufficient.

Maybe Nintendo's just holding it in reserve for a future batch of Wiimakes. I doubt we've seen the last of the Wii control remakes unless they bomb spectacularly or something.

jarrod said:
It was thought so until Ragukagi Showtime came to PSN. That couldn't have happened if Enix and Treasure were still fighting over IPs....

You've given me new hope! Thank you, kind sir!

Bo130

Yes! First game bought on Virtual Console (not counting WiiWare) in a long time. Loved Mario Golf 64 as a kid, hope it's still just as good :D

Capndrake

Japanese update next Tuesday:

VC:
-Getsu Fuuma Den (FC)
-Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu II (TGCD)

WiiWare:
-Crystal Defenders R1
-Minna no Theater Wii
-Okiraku Sugoroku Wii
-Popple and the Magic Crayon

wsippel

Banned
Probably already well known, but Nicalis' Night Game is coming to WiiWare:

Designed by Nicklas Nygren, Night Game is an action-puzzle game that focuses on providing players with an ambient gameplay experience, challenging the mind with increasingly challenging picturesque worlds. Each level is broken into different areas in which the player must maneuver a ball and using realistic physics to advance through each level. There are no enemies, per se, and no violence in Night Game. Although 2D, Night Game offers a significant challenge for the hardcore gamer (with an unlockable Hard mode), it begins with a friendly and intuitive experience for casual and mainstream gamers.
http://www.igf.com/php-bin/entry2009.php?id=627

Screen:

20u4l6w.jpg

Somnid

Capndrake said:

VC:
-Getsu Fuuma Den (FC)

WiiWare:
-Crystal Defenders R1
-Minna no Theater Wii
-Okiraku Sugoroku Wii
-Popple and the Magic Crayon

Minna no Theather is a 3rd party video content delivery system. You rent movies and TV shows by days.

2 days, 1 show = 300pts
3 days, 2 shows = 600pts
5 days, 3 shows = 800pts

There seem to be some free ones too.

http://theaterwii.jp/index.html

Capndrake said:

VC:
-Getsu Fuuma Den (FC)

WiiWare:
-Crystal Defenders R1