• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

farnham

Banned
FFCC My Life as a King is a very good game..

kinda like sim city

graphics are gorgeous and there are small touches that makes the game

Come on Wonderboy in Monsterland!

Woo Wonderboy! :D Now my Wii WB collection is complete <3 VC.

Unless you want to release a translated MWIV Sega? I doubt you're cool enough to do that though, come on prove me wrong.

I'm not too familiar with the Wonderboy series. So I don't really know how good this week is. :lol The kinks in my gaming cred are beginning to grow.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Original Post for week of Jan. 19 through Jan. 25

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday in North America. They go up every Tuesday in Japan. They go up every Friday in Europe.

Japan

This week's JP WiiWare game (released Jan. 20)

Princess Ai (Sunsoft, 1 player, 500 Nintendo Points)

This week's JP Virtual Console games (released Jan. 20)

Super Smash Bros. (Nintendo 64, Nintendo, 1-4 players, 1,200 Nintendo Points)

Champion Wrestler (PC Engine, Taito, 600 Nintendo Points)
(no screenshots available)

This week's JP DSiWare games (released Jan. 20)

No new games, but Art Style: Decode and Art Style: Aquario got updates, which are free to those who downloaded the original game.

North America

This week's NA WiiWare games (released Jan. 19)

High Voltage Hot Rod Show (High Voltage Software, Inc., 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 1,000 Nintendo Points, 318 Blocks)
High Voltage Hot Rod Show is a slick and fast-paced racer that challenges up to four players to tear up the track on a variety of off-road courses, mastering death-defying stunts and building enough Boost to stomp the competition. Players must learn to tame their monster Hot Rods by nailing ramps, power slides, bunny hops and tricks while avoiding mud pits and smashing through Boost Rings to fill their Boost Meters. Players can compete against seven CPU opponents in Championship mode or set their best lap times in the time trials. Top times can be uploaded to an online scoreboard via Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection* and shared with players around the world. Multiplayer supports up to four players in split-screen mode, giving each player a wide range of controller choices. (Router and broadband access required for online play. For more information, go to www.Nintendo.com.)

Family Glide Hockey (Aksys Games, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Nintendo Points, 231 Blocks)
Daddy, Mommy, Sarah and Billy are back for more family fun, and this time it's glide hockey. Hone your skills in a gymnasium, a forest park, a beach, an amusement park, even the freezing Arctic. Family Glide Hockey sports appealing cel-shaded graphics and endearing music to go with its friendly, competitive match-ups. Choose between single-player mode, versus mode (up to four players can play), or challenge your skill in engaging minigames such as Glide Hockey Brawl, Glide Hockey Drill and Glide Hockey Tracer.

This week's NA Virtual Console game (released Jan. 19)

MUSHA (Genesis, Sega, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone — Mild Fantasy Violence, 800 Nintendo Points, 22 Blocks)
MUSHA is a SEGA GENESIS game that shooter fans favor for its intense and exciting gameplay. Players must control Terri, a girl who pilots a MUSHA (Metallic Uniframe Super Hybrid Armor). Terri's goal is to eliminate Dire 51, an Intellicomputer that has gone out of control and is planning an offensive attack upon humanity. Use special weapons like the Vanishing Buster, Blazing Beam and Defensive Detonator, along with offensive options that allow six types of formation fire. Battle through seven exhilarating levels to finally reach and destroy Dire 51 once and for all.

Europe

This week's EU WiiWare game (released Jan. 23)

None, of course. It's a VC week!

This week's EU Virtual Console games (released Jan. 23)

Mario Golf (Nintendo 64, Nintendo, 1-4 players, 1,000 Nintendo Points, I have no idea how many Blocks)
Mario takes a well-deserved break from his role as the Mushroom Kingdom’s busiest hero and returns to the links for some world-class golfing action. Since no one likes to hit the fairways alone, he’s brought along a group of friends - both familiar characters and brand new ones. Choose from 10 different modes of play and six 18-hole courses in a variety of environments for a golfing experience with endless replay value. Add in fun, colorful graphics with a Mario touch (a Boo indicates wind direction), intuitive controls, incredibly deep game play and multiplayer support (taunt your opponents), and you have a game anyone will enjoy - even if you’ve never played a round of golf. Fore!

Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Master System, Sega, 1 player, 500 Points, I don't know how many Blocks)
Eleven years have gone by since the original Wonder Boy. After saving Tanya, Tom-Tom was named the "Wonder Boy" by the population of Wonder Land. However, out of nowhere, an evil dragon appeared and invaded Wonder Land with an army of monsters, turning it into "Monster Land". Tom-Tom is once again asked to save Wonder Land. There are twelve locations in which Tom-Tom must venture through, including (but not limited to): the city of Wonder Land, Valley of Peace, The Coastal Town of Baraboro, The Mam Desert, and Pororo Islands. During his journey, he must defeat monsters with the sword that he got at the beginning of his adventure. These monsters will leave either gold coins or bags of cash, which he can use to buy better weapons, shields, armor, and boots. At the end of each location, there is usually a boss that Tom-Tom must defeat in order to obtain a gold key that will unlock the exit gate, as well as plenty of gold coins or bags of cash. If he touches any enemies, or their projectiles, he will lose health. During his travels, Tom-Tom must take note of the hourglass; if all sand falls to the bottom, he will slowly start to lose health until he finds another hourglass or heals at a bar or hospital.

Links to Related Threads

For a more exhaustive look at the entire WiiWare library, including recommended titles to purchase and to avoid, check out PantherLotus' WiiWare Discussion thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247865

If you're looking for the old thread for Virtual Console and, to a smaller extent, WiiWare discussion, check out Kobun Heat's thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129709
He... he wants you to complain about how shitty VC is. So do that there.

To see the OP from Dec. 22 — 28, click here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14175114&postcount=158
To see the OP from Dec. 29 — Jan. 4, click here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14249639&postcount=231
To see the OP from Jan. 5 — Jan. 11, click here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14342653&postcount=389
To see the OP from Jan. 12 — Jan. 18, click here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14440932&postcount=506

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
OP is updated with NA stuff.

If anyone buys Niki or Wonder Boy, could they please post in this thread (or PM me, whatever) with how many Blocks they take up? I can't find info on this and it annoys my life when I'm updating the post.

Jiggy

Downloaded Wonder Boy immediately (25 blocks), to be played later. On a sidenote, I forgot to say this two weeks ago with Castlevania III, but I found out what happens if you download a game while you have all 48* channels filled: it's still there behind the scenes, but it simply won't show on your menu until you delete something else.

*47 in my case. For whatever reason, there's an empty slot that's always stuck being reserved for I-don't-know-what, unless it's that ??? channel that also does I-don't-know-what.

DarkWish

From DSFanboy...

8 new DSiWare games releasing on the 28th in Japan:

Solitaire DSi (200 Points)
Nintendo DSi Tokei, a clock app that can display photos (200 Points)
Hobonichi Rozenzu, a travel guide to Japan (500 Points)
Art Style: PiCOPiCT, a chiptunes puzzle game! (500 Points)
Art Style: SOMNIUM, a puzzle game about sliding rows of slots to match up with same-colored spheres (example screens here) (500 Points)
Chotto Panel de Pon, a mini version of Planet Puzzle League (500 Points)
Chotto Suujin Taisen, a Japanese board game (500 Points)
Chotto Asobi Taizen: Jikkuri Trump, a card game (500 Points)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Alright, more VC/Wiiware stuff I don't want. Well, there is always next week *Goes and plays more Kirby Dreamland 3*

bryehn

From the other thread...

bryehn said:
Niki - Rock n' Ball is certainly not the most attractive game I've played lately. Looks like a freeware PC game or some of the 99 cent garbage you see on iPhone. Gameplay itself it pretty decent so far, if not predictable.

Oh, Niki was 129 blocks.

These one VC game weeks hurt, especially when it's accompanied by only 1 Wii Ware (Which doesn't look to be very good) :(

Why bother holding back your VC releases when there aren't any good standout WW games that week that would otherwise be cannibalized!

It's just stupid, I'm desperate for a return to the days of 2-3 VC game updates and NOA obviously don't want my money :(

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
PiCOPiCT is the second DSi download I'll make whenever I get one, right after Ugoku Memo.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
bryehn said:
From the other thread...

Oh, Niki was 129 blocks.

Jiggy said:
Downloaded Wonder Boy immediately (25 blocks), to be played later. On a sidenote, I forgot to say this two weeks ago with Castlevania III, but I found out what happens if you download a game while you have all 48* channels filled: it's still there behind the scenes, but it simply won't show on your menu until you delete something else.

*47 in my case. For whatever reason, there's an empty slot that's always stuck being reserved for I-don't-know-what, unless it's that ??? channel that also does I-don't-know-what.

Thank you and thank you.

Also, Jiggy, you seriously filled all 48 slots?! Holy cow! That's something I always wondered what would happen if I reached the limit but figured I never would... I have like three channels on the second "page" and that's it. The Strong Bad episodes take up so much fridge space...

Jiggy

Well, I have 71 VC games and a few WiiWare. It was just a matter of arranging them to keep enough of the small ones around so that I filled up the channels before the blocks. :lol

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Jiggy said:
Well, I have 71 VC games and a few WiiWare. It was just a matter of arranging them to keep enough of the small ones around so that I filled up the channels before the blocks. :lol

You were trying to fill it up, weren't you? :lol

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
It's probably not hard to fill up the menu slots before the blocks as long as you don't have any of the larger games taking up space.

At any rate, yay for more Wonderboy, boo for there only being one VC game this week.

Iam Canadian said:
It's probably not hard to fill up the menu slots before the blocks as long as you don't have any of the larger games taking up space.

At any rate, yay for more Wonderboy, boo for there only being one VC game this week.
That's complaining, sir, and I'll thank you to take it to its appropriate thread. :p

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
You should have made a new thread before you posted the trailer the first time jarrod, it deserved one. So awesome, looks addictive as hell.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
crowphoenix said:
That's complaining, sir, and I'll thank you to take it to its appropriate thread. :p

Oh, I'm sorry, you're right. This is the thread for baseless optimism, unwarranted hope, and overly positive attitudes. How silly of me. :D

Seriously, though, Wonderboy is pretty cool.

jarrod

Banned
jj984jj said:
You should have made a new thread before you posted the trailer the first time jarrod, it deserved one. So awesome, looks addictive as hell.
Sorry. :(

Someone else should do a new thread though. Needs HYPE!

Does the U.S. VC WB in Monster Land rom have the FM sound option?

And ditto on M2 being a top shelf porting house. Besides Sega Ages 2500, another example of their greatness is the Konami Arcade Classics Collection on DS. Dual DS mode with the option to use another DS as a TATE controller (which I've done, very cool), full 2 player game sharing (especially good for Twinbee and Contra), using the stylus to trick out the PCBs' dipswitches, man I could go on. M2 = gaming love + tight emulation + great presentation. That's all there is to it. :)

Yes Boss!

Agent Unknown said:
Does the U.S. VC WB in Monster Land rom have the FM sound option?

Yes it does. Hit the select or "-" button and a Wii menu overlay comes up to change to the much better sounds and music.

Now, I'm new to Master System. What exactly was this historically?

Fuck those dismissing Wonder Boy!

large.jpg

Buy it.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Ton of new DSiWare games coming, I know you guys mentioned it above but there is more then the Art Style.

From TinyCartridge

Nintendo of Japan announced several new games and applications coming to its digital download service for the Nintendo DSi this Wednesday (January 28th), including several “excerpts” from existing puzzle titles and two new Art Style releases.

Art Style: PiCOPiCT (500 Nintendo Points) combines Picross with falling blocks and Nintendo franchises. It also features chiptune tracks from YMCK!:

Video

Art Style: Somnium (500 NP) features slide puzzles:

Video

Chotto Panel de Pon (500 NP): Panel de Pon, or Planet Puzzle League, without multiplayer support.

Chotto Suujin Taisen (500 NP): Based on a Mitchell Corp.-developed puzzle-battle game that never made it to the States, but received positive import impressions. Includes WiFi support for up to four players.

Chotto Asobi Taizen: Jikuri Trump (500 NP): Bits from Clubhouse Games, including Blackjack, Poker, and more. Features local multiplayer, but no online.

Hobonichi Rosenzu (500 NP): Map application for train/metro routes in Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe, Fukuoka, Nagoya and Sapporo. Users can search for stations and routes, as well as add bookmarks, notes, and photos to the map.

DSi Solitare (200 NP): Solitaire, Klondike, and Spider with cat shapes on the cards!

DSi Clock: Slide Show Type (200 NP): A clock using photos taken with the DSi. Also has alarm/sleep functions — you can even record your own alarm sounds! This is the first in a series of planned downloadable Clock apps.

Yes I will be downloading them all, impressions soon after. Oh shit still gotta post those pictures I promised :(

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Agent Unknown said:
Dual DS mode with the option to use another DS as a TATE controller (which I've done, very cool)
Awesome. :lol

Yes Boss! said:
Now, I'm new to Master System. What exactly was this historically?
The Sega Mark III (Japanese SMS equivalent) had an FM Sound Unit add-on that extended the audio capabilities of the system. Most games produced for the system utilized it in some fashion.

jarrod said:
Are more Quintet games coming? :(

&#12381;&#12428;&#12399;&#31192;&#23494;&#12391;&#12377;&#12290;

Has anyone tried to flip the Monster World game over to FM sound in the US VC release? I'm going to probably buy it anyway but it'd be nice to know.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
VOOK said:
Ton of new DSiWare games coming, I know you guys mentioned it above but there is more then the Art Style.

From TinyCartridge

Yes I will be downloading them all, impressions soon after. Oh shit still gotta post those pictures I promised :(

Wait, "coming" as in "coming TONIGHT"?

shitballs. Any help you or anyone else can give me as far as titles, links and other information would be great. The Japanese language and I do not get along well.

Yes Boss!

Dragona Akehi said:

Has anyone tried to flip the Monster World game over to FM sound in the US VC release? I'm going to probably buy it anyway but it'd be nice to know.

Yes, it works and has a dedicated menu and sounds awesome!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Sixfortyfive said:
The Sega Mark III (Japanese SMS equivalent) had an FM Sound Unit add-on that extended the audio capabilities of the system. Most games produced for the system utilized it in some fashion.
this isn't entirely correct. The Master System was an upgraded Mk3 with the FM sound built in. It's unclear why most games brought over didn't use the FM sound of the US SMS even though it was there, but the US SMS had the same sound capabilities as the MkIII with FM module.

Out of curiousity, is there a list anywhere of games in the US that don't support the FM audio on the US SMS? or if shorter, a list of games that do support it?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
borghe said:
the US SMS had the same sound capabilities as the MkIII with FM module.
Pretty sure you're wrong on that.

The Mark III was given a cosmetic facelift and released in the West as the SMS. Then the SMS was released in Japan w/ the Mark III FM unit built-in. Only that version of the SMS has FM sound capabilities.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Sixfortyfive said:
Pretty sure you're wrong on that.

The Mark III was given a cosmetic facelift and released in the West as the SMS. Then the SMS was released in Japan w/ the Mark III FM unit built-in. Only that version of the SMS has FM sound capabilities.
nevermind, I am.. the specs I was reading seem to be for the US SMS but it seems those are the only ones claiming the Yamaha processor in the SMS... I could have sworn it always had the Yamaha processor back in the day but it seems I was wrong.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
crowphoenix said:
Do you want to complain about the lack of Ogre Battle or laud the idea that we may be getting it?

*edited because I don't wanna get anyone in trouble*

I actually wanted to talk a bit about the series.
Is this one the right thread or that old one's a better fit?
:confused:

I'd like to know what kind of srpg it is since I've never played a game in the series.
I LOVE Fire Emblem and I have no problem beating the series' entries (the ones we got in EU) at very hard and yet I found the FFT Advance series too confusing (million stats and rules) for its own good. I think I could say the same for Disgaea (too deep for me maybe?) but I have yet to try playing it with a bit more time and effort (I have only first game).
I like a lot Shining Force 2 though (Sega Megadrive).
Oh, and I also like a lot the Super Robot Wars franchise (Original/Alpha/Z) but never played a Front Mission game because judging from videos I'm not sure I'd like it.
I like battlefield tactics, what I find less appealing is spending hours tweaking every little minutia before going to war like in a Tower Defense game or having to remember a million stats/rules to have a chance to succed (or not, but it's the same since at that point I feel like I'm mission out anyway).

So, do you guys think that the Ogre Battle series is right up my allie?

Hobbun

Dragona Akehi said:

Wait, wut? Does that mean yes more Quintet games are coming?

Oh come on the Soul Blazer series!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom