• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggy

While I'm thinking about it, does anyone who downloaded StarTropics II know if it counts for coins on Club Nintendo?

Capndrake

I'm guessing Hudson imports are still fair game - The OFLC just rated one (Plus a Konami game):

-Bomberman '94 (TG16)
-TwinBee (NES)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Bomberman '94 is Mega Bomberman, right?

That one is probably my favorite as far as the classic singeplayer mode is concerned.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
GAF gets some impressions before even my site does ;)

Chotto Panel de Pon

It’s Panel de Pon, the old favourite which hasn’t changed much since it first came out – the DSi Ware version offers you to play it either vertical or horizontal mode and there is various ways to change the game and different background music to choose from but apart from that theres not much to report. There is the old famous endless mode, a couple of other clearance modes and a puzzle mode.

Video is YouTubing now, Will post a collection and videos all on my site once all done.

Capndrake said:
I'm guessing Hudson imports are still fair game - The OFLC just rated one (Plus a Konami game):

-Bomberman '94 (TG16)
-TwinBee (NES)

Are you sure that's the TG16 game and not Mega Bomberman? if it is indeed the TG16 then Rondo of Blood has suddenly gotten a much greater chance of an English release! :D

Jiggy

At the very least, we've had one open, public situation where a TG16 game was said to be in queue for several months down the line, when Neutopia was confirmed for summer 2007 in April 2007. So, as much of a dose as cynicism as it might be, I'm not willing to write off the possibility that Bomberman '94 was prepared for VC before Hudson decided to call it quits, and that the rating's showing up just now in accordance with that...

A Link to the Snitch said:
Not that I can see, no.
Ah, oh well. :( Thanks.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
It's fucking impossible that Hudson's not going to handle (for Konami) the Dracula X situation and bring it on VC.
They're not going to pass on that kind of money and what probably is the most sought after game in the entire PCE/TG16 library.

I say wait for the next (or next next :p) Hanoubi Festival.

VOOK

Alrighty GAF, here it is text and video impressions for the latest DSi Releases including

- Chotto Panel de Pon
- Art Style PiCOPiCT
- Art Style Somnium
- Solitaire DSi
- DSi Ware Clock

Sorry no impressions on the Mitchell Game (too much Japanese), Club House Games compilation (they are the same basically) and on the Japanese Metro System map - I'm not spending the money on it :p

All can be found here - Feedback on the videos is appreciated.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Solitaire DSi is such a killer app for me. I hope Spider Solitaire is released too.

All I need now is a DSiWare local multipayer download-play Chess and I'm set. :lol

That's another thing, I hope DSiWare is similar to WiiWare in that it can use all of the DS's functions like online and download play (which I hope would include the old DS systems too).

VOOK

Andrex said:
Solitaire DSi is such a killer app for me. I hope Spider Solitaire is released too.

All I need now is a DSiWare local multipayer download-play Chess and I'm set. :lol

That's another thing, I hope DSiWare is similar to WiiWare in that it can use all of the DS's functions like online and download play (which I hope would include the old DS systems too).

Two of the DSi Ware games release today have Wi-Fi, I got an extra warning screen in the store for them. Also you can use download play from the DSi versions of the Club House games (they're the only ones that have it so far) to a normal DS;

Evidence below;

w7bq5j.jpg

VOOK

Andrex said:
YES

THANK YOU VOOK

Clubhouse Games is so mine!

There is two packs, some with card games like Old Maid - and another with BlackJack and Poker etc. 500 Points each I think.

VOOK

:Motorbass said:
Why not buy the cardrige game? 42 games on it including chess; local download- and online-play.

I would buy the cart (I have the game, but if I didn't) over these packs. But if you only like a few little games it's still pretty cheap.

Also Club House Games is near impossible to find outside of America (they got a reprint).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
:Motorbass said:
Why not buy the cardrige game? 42 games on it including chess; local download- and online-play.

Because the cartridge one is hard to find...

Plus for small games like these I wouldn't feel like swapping carts just to play them. Having them instantly bootable is awesome.

Capndrake

Jiggy said:
While I'm thinking about it, does anyone who downloaded StarTropics II know if it counts for coins on Club Nintendo?
Actually, a friend of mine says it does count - Maybe A Link to the Snitch looked at the initial list of games that counted, but that hasn't been updated since Club Nintendo launched in the US. All games released since then count.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Sorry I haven't updated the OP with Japanese stuff yet guys, I've had a lot of work lately. Hopefully I'll get finished early this afternoon and I can update.

What I don't get is why Nintendo choose to release only the smaller versions of these games like Planet Puzzle League and Clubhouse Games, why not also give people the option of buying the full retail version as a download for a higher price, or at least offer the rest of the content as DLC?

I'd love to get PPL DSi just so I could have it instantly accessable on the menu but I want the full game, not just a smaller version. I'd also love a fully fledged Dr Mario game with local and online multiplayer like on the Wii, I don't want a single player only version (The multiplayer is the best bit!) and the lack of Virus Buster is inexcusable when it originated from the DS anyway!

Here's a potential DSi killer app Nintendo, Advance Wars Dual Strike (Full Game) on DSiWare with online play and map sharing (With an option for online play to play with either Advance Wars 1,2 or DS rules). Also add Sturm back into the game for multiplayer. I'd pay 2-3000 points for that, no question!

So what does everyone expect to be next for the Chotto series?

I expect...

Advance Wars (basically it'd just be War Room and Versus w/ online play) for 800
Daigasso! Band Brothers (some songs included, but has the same download system of DX) for 500
Picross (some included puzzles, but a focus on user-created and downloaded puzzles) for 500
Pokémon Box (for transferring Pokémon with one DS) for 500
Tetris (the Tetris DS version of it) for 500
Mario Kart for 800

Neo Samus

Jiggy said:

Yes...to a point. you have to wait six weeks and give after thought impressions and you get 10 coins. This actually works with all games that you can register download and physical. So you can actually get 60 coins for Wii games and 40 for DS.

jarrod

Banned
A Link to the Snitch said:
So what does everyone expect to be next for the Chotto series?

I expect...

Advance Wars (basically it'd just be War Room and Versus w/ online play) for 800
Daigasso! Band Brothers (some songs included, but has the same download system of DX) for 500
Picross (some included puzzles, but a focus on user-created and downloaded puzzles) for 500
Pokémon Box (for transferring Pokémon with one DS) for 500
Tetris (the Tetris DS version of it) for 500
Mario Kart for 800
Honestly, the only one out of those I'd expect would be maybe Picross. The Chotto line seems very puzzle/table/non-game oriented. I also doubt Nintendo wants to pay out for the Tetris license, more likely we'll see Hudson doing Tetris again on DSiWare.

I want Chotto Mario Bros. WFC though. :lol

Noob here wondering if DSi Shop games can be both stored (and more importantly) booted from SD?

Neo Samus said:
Yes...to a point. you have to wait six weeks and give after thought impressions and you get 10 coins. This actually works with all games that you can register download and physical. So you can actually get 60 coins for Wii games and 40 for DS.

Pardon my ignorance but are you saying a game can be milked more than once for coins? Or that say, even older games with reg codes (like my registered in '05 copy of Yoshi Touch n Go) can now be surveyed for coins? I'd look myself but I don't have a laptop right now and Wii Opera is currently my only browser (hooray for 10 part Youtube'd MST3K episodes on my TV!) and Nintendo.com is definitely not optimized for it (not that it ever was).

Neo Samus

Agent Unknown said:
Noob here wondering if DSi Shop games can be both stored (and more importantly) booted from SD?

Pardon my ignorance but are you saying a game can be milked more than once for coins? Or that say, even older games with reg codes (like my registered in '05 copy of Yoshi Touch n Go) can now be surveyed for coins? I'd look myself but I don't have a laptop right now and Wii Opera is currently my only browser (hooray for 10 part Youtube'd MST3K episodes on my TV!) and Nintendo.com is definitely not optimized for it (not that it ever was).

Touch n' Go no, but any game on the Club Nintendo List and any game there after produced by Nintendo, yes.

So for example. Zelda Twilight Princess- Regeister and get 50 coins. Then wait about six weeks and TW will pop up on your to-do list again and it will be a post gameplay survey. That will give you 10 coins. VC and WiiWare work with the latter only. Registering gets you no coins, but post gameplay will get you 10 coins. Does this make sense?

jarrod said:
Honestly, the only one out of those I'd expect would be maybe Picross. The Chotto line seems very puzzle/table/non-game oriented. I also doubt Nintendo wants to pay out for the Tetris license, more likely we'll see Hudson doing Tetris again on DSiWare.

I want Chotto Mario Bros. WFC though. :lol

But one of their new Chotto games was a strategy game.

Capndrake

According to NoE's site, tonight's EU WiiWare update is:

Family Glide Hockey
Get all the thrills of the popular table sport from the comfort of your own living room! Bash the puck using the Wii Remote and pull off trick shots with ease. The game also features fun minigames and supports up to four players, so the whole family can join in!

Pop Them, Drop Them SAMEGAME
This simple yet engrossing puzzle game challenges you to clear matching blocks in sets of two or more, with the ultimate aim of clearing the entire grid. Challenge yourself in solo mode or compete with friends in modes like 'Fame Game', 'Shame Game' or the crazy free-for-all 'Blame Game'!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Agent Unknown said:
Gah. Figures. How much internal flash is available?

256 MB. But the games are like less than 1MB.

And the SD slot is SDHC compatible, which means cards up to 32GB in size can be used.

It's odd they can't be booted though. I thought I read somewhere they could be. It seems like an even stranger decision because Nintendo's kicking themselves right now for not making VC/WW games bootable from the Wii's SD card (going so far as to say a majority of the Wii OS has to be rewritten to allow the update.)

beje

Banned
Capndrake said:
According to NoE's site, tonight's EU WiiWare update is:

Family Glide Hockey
Get all the thrills of the popular table sport from the comfort of your own living room! Bash the puck using the Wii Remote and pull off trick shots with ease. The game also features fun minigames and supports up to four players, so the whole family can join in!

Pop Them, Drop Them SAMEGAME
This simple yet engrossing puzzle game challenges you to clear matching blocks in sets of two or more, with the ultimate aim of clearing the entire grid. Challenge yourself in solo mode or compete with friends in modes like 'Fame Game', 'Shame Game' or the crazy free-for-all 'Blame Game'!

Saving the 2000 points I got dirt cheap for another 2 weeks then :'( well, unless we get a surprise Hanabi Festival or a new N64 game next week which is highly improbable.

Capndrake

The update is indeed those two games.

I got Samegame, it's pretty good so far. Just 500 Wii Points and it only takes up 46 blocks.

beje

Banned
Capndrake said:
The update is indeed those two games.

Yet american users still complain. Heh, at least you get 3 or 4 games weekly while we should be grateful for getting just 2.

Besides, your VC games are not rated R for "Retarded Edition" and you're not getting flooded with overpriced C64 crap

Capndrake

Hey, there's quite a few C64 games which are worth the price. Last Ninja 1-3, Paradroid, IK+, Nebulus, Boulder Dash, Jumpman, Wizball's coming soon...

Andrex said:
256 MB. But the games are like less than 1MB.

I figured they'd be small, that definitely alleviates my concern.

It's odd they can't be booted though. I thought I read somewhere they could be. It seems like an even stranger decision because Nintendo's kicking themselves right now for not making VC/WW games bootable from the Wii's SD card

At least they're finally listening to fans for a change (maybe) and trying to do something. And hopefully this will teach them to be a little more progressively minded when deciding the memory for Wii 2.

(going so far as to say a majority of the Wii OS has to be rewritten to allow the update.)

This really caught my eye, do you have a link to where they said this? In the recent IGN Wii "things to come in '09" preview, Matt cited the update and specifically stated that with it, "VC/WW games will be bootable from SD card" as if it's a fact. But all I remember from Iwata's speech was him making a rather vague statement that the update will allow games to be downloaded from the shop to card (of course) and that it will make copying to the card smoother, so I'm still skeptical. But here's hoping they really have figured out a way to make for VC/WW content to pseudo-boot/quick copy into system memory. If so, first game I would test would be a Strongbad epsiode (seeing as how I'd finally have enough space to buy one).

I'm also guessing that the update would instead of adding an "SD card channel," would put a new button on the dashboard allowing you to switch to the card with a virtually endless page of channels. I can hope, just my prediction.

Capndrake

PC Engine games for Japan next month:

-L-Dis (Feb 2nd, CD)
-Ghouls 'n Ghosts (Feb 2nd, Supergrafx)
-Super Darius 2 (CD)
-Usagi no Kuni no Kangaroo Race Wallaby!!
-Winning Shot

None for US/EU/AU, of course.

Capndrake

Nintendo of Japan just updated with the other systems:

Famicom:
-Formation Z
-Double Dragon

Super Famicom:
-Tactics Ogre

Master System:
-Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars

Mega Drive:
-Galaxy Force II
-Dragon Slayer (1)

Lee N

Membre
jj984jj said:
The Mitchell game? It's a puzzle game really.
I wouldn't call Chotto Suujin Taisen a puzzle game.. it's a board game (think Scrabble, Go, etc). Though there is a puzzle mode (comparable to Chess problems) in the game.

I've played the original game since it was released back in 2007 and it's definitely one of my all time favorite DS games. Re-releasing it on DSiWare is awesome, and I rebought the game there immediately.

Yes Boss!

Capndrake said:
PC Engine games for Japan next month:

-L-Dis (Feb 2nd, CD)
-Ghouls 'n Ghosts (Feb 2nd, Supergrafx)
-Super Darius 2 (CD)
-Usagi no Kuni no Kangaroo Race Wallaby!!
-Winning Shot

None for EU/EU/AU, of course.

Oh shit, curse Hudson USA for stopping VC. I'd kill for the first three. Looks like I'll be picking up a Japanese Wii sometime this year.

Jiggy

Capndrake said:
Nintendo of Japan just updated with the other systems:

[...]Super Famicom:
-Tactics Ogre
I know we'll never get this since the only translation is for the PS1 version, but still awesome to see it showing up in another region.

I'm still pissed off that NoE haven't provided more updates to their VC offerings yet - I still have a few VC games that I can't play because there's no component cable support.

Wonder if they'll ever get round to updating the few games in their catalogue that can't be played. It's bad enough that we get the inferior broken versions to begin with, but I'd take playing a slow bordered game to not being able to play it at all anyday.

Constantly switching cables is not a solution, NoE - it's an incredibly inconvenient workaround.

Jiggy

Even someone I know with an NA Wii couldn't play a Neo Geo game that I gifted to him because of his cables. So lame to think that that kind of thing wasn't accounted for. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom