• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somnid

ksamedi said:
Whats the point of having this thread then? We already have huge VC and Wiiware threads. This should be weekly to avoid all the clutter.

Updates take place at different times in different regions. It's not like the PS Store where you can start on Wednesday and everyone will see it. Basically it'd need to be bumped and updated 3 times a week to account for every region, I think the idea here is that people can bookmark the first page and always have an idea of what's going on without finding the weekly thread.

The other benefit is for stuff like what Captain Drake posted. VC news in general isn't part of the OP, that comes up in the disscussion. Having a weekly thread would make that harder to find as well for those of us that are keeping up on it.

TJ Spyke

I loved Samus in the first two Smash Bros. games (I had well over 1,000 hours combined between SSB and SSBM just as Samus, yet alone how much time with others), but they nerfed her in Brawl. My a-hole dad sold my N64 and NES and all the games I had for them. I might get SSB.

Poor PAL gamers. They haven't even gotten Mario Golf yet, I hope Nintendo doesn't make it 2 N64 releases they are behind by.

TJ Spyke said:
It's been awhile since i've done, but if anyone cares this is the difference between North America and PAL for Virtual Console (I am including tomorrow's PAL releases in this).

Two corrections to your list:

Forgotten Worlds has been released in Europe. You left Tecmo Bowl off of your North America, but not PAL regions list. Not that I necessarily expect it to be released, although it might be cool if NoE released it as an import title the same week the NFL has their now annual London game.

I know this is right, but I'm still baffled why Australia received Axelay and Europe got left out, while Europe has gotten Super C & Ghosts 'n Goblins and Australia hasn't. Specific copyright issues? Content issues? Anyone have any insight here? I thought it might be a Konami thing until it apparently happened with Ghosts 'n Goblins as well.

jump_button said:
looks like smash bros going to be 1,200 points but still good news

It's the in-depth game surcharge again. I'm sure North America & Europe will get the game for 1,000 points only - Ocarina of Time was priced at 1,200 points in Japan & had standard pricing elsewhere.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Nice update, though the only one that the US is sure to see next month is SSB.

Besides SSB, the only other game that ever hit North America was Fantasy Zone II, so while this is pretty good update for Japan, it doesn't shed too much light on what North America and/or Europe are getting in the future.

For the record, here are the games that have been released in Japan that have not been released in North America yet have readily localized equivalents:

NES: Nintendo World Cup, Life Force
SNES: Tetris Attack, Ogre Battle, Nobunaga's Ambition
N64: Super Smash Bros.
GEN: Shadow Dancer, ESWAT - City Under Siege, Crack Down, Atomic Runner, Target Earth, Warsong, MUSHA, Phelios, Wings of Wor, Last Battle, Mercs
SMS: Black Belt, Rambo/Secret Command, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Fantasy Zone 2
TG16: Dragon Slayer - The Legend of Heroes, Dungeon Explorer II, Parasol Stars, Cadash

It's a shame that Hudson is discontinuing Virtual Console support (even if it turns out to only be a temporary move). It seems like a lot of people were looking forward to Parasol Stars, and the other titles would be nice additions as well.

TJ Spyke

FFantasyFX said:
Two corrections to your list:

Forgotten Worlds has been released in Europe. You left Tecmo Bowl off of your North America, but not PAL regions list. Not that I necessarily expect it to be released, although it might be cool if NoE released it as an import title the same week the NFL has their now annual London game.

I know this is right, but I'm still baffled why Australia received Axelay and Europe got left out, while Europe has gotten Super C & Ghosts 'n Goblins and Australia hasn't. Specific copyright issues? Content issues? Anyone have any insight here? I thought it might be a Konami thing until it apparently happened with Ghosts 'n Goblins as well.

Thanks, i've fixed it.

Not sure about the PAL title issues.

FFantasyFX said:
It's a shame that Hudson is discontinuing Virtual Console support (even if it turns out to only be a temporary move). It seems like a lot of people were looking forward to Parasol Stars, and the other titles would be nice additions as well.

I'm sure it's only temporary until they've released their backlog of WiiWare games, otherwise it is quite literaly money left on the table! (Especially when the emulation is already done for a lot of these unreleased games, I'm looking at you Rondo of Blood!)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Capndrake said:
Japanese schedule for January:

FC:
-Tantei Jinguji Saburo
-Getsu Fuma Den
-Zoids Revelations

N64:
-Super Smash Bros.

SMS:
-Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of ***-*** (Why is that word still blocked)

MD:
-Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair

PCE:
-Rastan Saga Part 2
-Legend of Xanadu 2
-Spriggan Mark 2
-Champion Wrestler

Awesome, thanks. What was your source on this? Is it somewhere on the Japanese Nintendo site?

Capndrake

Danthrax said:
Thank you. I take this to mean they won't be putting anything up until Jan. 6? Nothing this coming week?
Nope, no WiiWare games either. I think there was no Japanese update the first week of this year as well.

TJ Spyke

Capndrake said:
Nope, no WiiWare games either. I think there was no Japanese update the first week of this year as well.

We don't know that yet. Several of those games just have "January 2009" listed as their date.

Capndrake

TJ Spyke said:
We don't know that yet. Several of those games just have "January 2009" listed as their date.
If they've already revealed what games will be released in two weeks, I doubt they'll release anything next week.

Just incase no one has seen it yet, the Japanese January VC List is officially up. here is what Japan is getting on VC next month. The full schedule is as follows:

Famicom:

Tantei Jinguji Saburo Kikena Faturi (January 6th)
Getsu Fuuma Den
Zoids: Mokushiroku

Nintendo 64:

Super Smash Bros.

Sega Master System:

Fantasy Zone II

Sega Mega Drive:

Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair (January 6th)

PC Engine:

Rastan Saga II (January 6th)
Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu II (CD)
Spriggan Mark 2 (CD)
Champion Wrestler

EDIT: FUCK, I was too late.

Oh well, whatever, I am really fucking excited for Smash Bros. to hit VC.

MoxManiac

Wii Will Rock U said:
Trust me, you don't want them.

What the hell you be talking about? Adventure Island 2 was one of my favorite NES games of all time. The only eh one is SA1. A 2/3/4 on NES and SA2 on SNES are all fab.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
TJ Spyke said:
I loved Samus in the first two Smash Bros. games (I had well over 1,000 hours combined between SSB and SSBM just as Samus, yet alone how much time with others), but they nerfed her in Brawl. My a-hole dad sold my N64 and NES and all the games I had for them. I might get SSB.

Samus was already nerfed in the original Smash, to be fair. Each installment has just made her worse.

TJ Spyke

Samus was great in Melee, I could kick anyone's butt with her. She was also good in the first Smash game. It wasn't until Brawl that she felt weak. It still annoys me that Sakurai decided to make her so much weaker in Brawl.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
TJ Spyke said:
Samus was great in Melee, I could kick anyone's butt with her. She was also good in the first Smash game. It wasn't until Brawl that she felt weak. It still annoys me that Sakurai decided to make her so much weaker in Brawl.

Samus was actually ranked the second worst character in the original Smash in the tier lists, primarily due to the very situational moveset she got.

I was wrong that she got worse in Melee (wavedashing helped her a lot), I'll give you that.

TJ Spyke

I will confess that I haven't played the original Smash in several years.

I never cared about what fansites ranked characters though, a good player will almost always beat a less talent gamer. Those sites also tend to think that games should be played with items turned off (and often think that matches should only be on stages like Final Destination). Tournaments should be free-for-alls, with all items on and all stages available with every character open. If you can't win in that, you are not the best.

Sorry for getting sidetracked. I wish Sakurai would say why he changed certain characters (others changed too, Samus just stuck out more to me since I put some much time into her in Melee).

MoxManiac said:
What's this about Hudson discontinuing VC support?!? There's still like 5 adventure island games i'm waiting for :mad:

In the previous thread, Capndrake stated that his contacts at Hudson have indicated that they are terminating Virtual Console support in North America & Europe/Australia. In a follow up post, he implied that the decision is not irreversible but that it was extremely unlikely we would see any TG16 titles released in the first half of 2009.

Hudson seems to want to put all its eggs in the WiiWare basket. Given Nintendo's (and especially Nintendo of America's) increased emphasis on WiiWare, arguably at the expense of the Virtual Console, that makes some sense. And if they get better returns on WiiWare products, it makes even more sense. They've also picked most of the low hanging fruit in terms of VC games, so they would have to put more effort into their releases (in terms of haggling with third parties, prepping import titles) than they did in 2007/2008.

Based on info from the previous thread, third parties apparently have little input in the VC process. Nintendo serves as a gatekeeper for NES, SNES, and N64 games, Sega serves as gatekeeper for Master System & Genesis titles, Hudson for TurboGrafx-16 games, etc. They handle the emulation, electronic manual, picking what titles to release. Supposedly, Nintendo has just been licensing third party's entire NES/SNES libraries and then doing the rest of the work in prepping the titles for release. Anyway, if the post I'm referencing is accurate, then Hudson's decision should have no effect on whether we see non-TG16 Hudson titles in 2009. Of course, it would also mean that the chances for third party TG16 titles (e.g. Rondo of Blood) are pretty much nil as well until Hudson changes its mind.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Damn, just signed onto the store for the first time since Mario kart Channel launched. I wanted to snag Alien Crush remake whatever, but my fridge is full. Hell, I can't even download the Nintendo Channel!

So do I remove Sin & P? Lords/Gate of Thunder? Super Metroid? F zero X? Starfox 64?

How about fuck you Nintendo.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Brandon F said:
Damn, just signed onto the store for the first time since Mario kart Channel launched. I wanted to snag Alien Crush remake whatever, but my fridge is full. Hell, I can't even download the Nintendo Channel!

So do I remove Sin & P? Lords/Gate of Thunder? Super Metroid? F zero X? Starfox 64?

How about fuck you Nintendo.

I don't know if you want an actual serious answer to this, but Super Metroid won't free you much room. Out of the options, I'd delete Gate of Thunder, but that's just me. Also, if you have useless bits of software like Everybody Votes or the internet browser, those can be deleted for extra space.

But I agree with you, the entire "fridge" concept is incredibly stupid and it's inexcusable that Nintendo hasn't come up with a better solution.

HUELEN10

So it be only 5 more hours until we know what we get!

Prediction time! As always, I am HOPING for Mario' Super Picross......

Realistically though, I could see Devil World.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
HUELEN10 said:
Realistically though, I could see Devil World.

I have doubts that we'll EVER see Devil World in the USA. I mean, it's an obscure game with gameplay that isn't overly fun today and it was never released in the USA before.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Oh, and today we will be getting Hudson's Pool Revolution and Mashobi (Three Shape Arcade) for 500 and 800 points, respectively.

It's a shame that the Nintendo Channel no longer lets you sort the "new titles" list by Virtual Console... Wii Ware games appear to be displayed as of 12:01am on Monday mornings.

Nintendo of America Press Release said:
WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO WIIWARE GAMES AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Dec. 29, 2008 - Champagne? Check. Confetti? Got it. But you're not fully prepared for New Year's revelry unless your Nintendo game library is stocked with games to please everyone under the sun. As always, the Wii™ Shop Channel is open 24 hours a day for your downloading pleasure. The final slate of new game offerings for 2008 includes a couple of wild multiplayer titles on WiiWare™, plus an enthralling sci-fi title for the Virtual Console™. Load up and enjoy!

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare

Maboshi's Arcade™ (Nintendo, 1-3 players, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Wii Points): Featuring three distinct modes and simultaneous play across three game windows, the constantly changing environment of Maboshi's Arcade creates an atmosphere unlike any other. Each of the modes is based on one of three familiar shapes (circle, stick and square) and offers the same goal: score a million points. Use the intuitive controls to bash enemies in Circle mode, weave your way through Stick mode or burn a path around obstacles in Square mode-all while dealing with power-up items and keeping watch on which effects the other game windows may have on your own. Also featuring Mii™ characters, action replays that you can send to your Wii™ Friends via WiiConnect24™, and the ability to download a version to a Nintendo DS™, you may never want to leave this arcade.

Cue Sports – Pool Revolution (Hudson Entertainment, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): Grab your Wii Remote™ controller and take a shot at this virtual billiard game. Enjoy match-ups, playing classic favorites such as 9 Ball, 8 Ball, Rotation and Snooker, as well as walk-through trick shots in Puzzle mode. Connect to Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection (Nintendo WFC) to go head-to-head with your friends, or even hustle opponents across the world in Nintendo WFC match-ups. This game offers two types of controls, allowing you to virtually strike the cue ball with your Wii Remote controller or use the buttons to adjust the strength of your shot and then strike. Hone your skills in Practice mode, learning all the cool techniques you need to be a true hustler. Use the edit feature to create your own challenge and nail the trick shot you've always dreamed of sinking. Pull off an amazing shot and show everyone who's the biggest shark in the pool.

Virtual Console

Zoda's Revenge™: StarTropics II™ (NES™, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone-Mild Cartoon Violence, 500 Wii Points): Take on the role of Mike Jones, intrepid hero of the StarTropics universe, and once again battle the evil alien Zoda to control the fate of the Argonian people. In this journey, the island hopping of Mike's original adventure gives way to traveling through time and visiting locations around the world. And you never know what famous historical figures may appear along the way, giving Mike helpful advice or useful items. Luckily, Mike also has a wider range of weapons and improved play control on his side, so he may yet stand a chance against Zoda. Can you help Mike stand the test of time and save the world again?

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.

Maboshi's Arcade sounds interesting. Star Tropics II!!! At least Nintendo is ending the year with a good week.

If the Hudson pool game is any cop, that's a pretty damn good week to end the year. MaBoShi is great fun, and StarTropics 2 is one of my favourite NES games - hopefully the PAL update this Friday will be as good.

Does anyone know how the controls in Pool Revolution compare to the billiards game in Wii Play? Hopefully they're the same.

Edit: After watching a few videos, they do seem to be fundamentally the same. I don't understand why it took so long for someone to make a fuller featured game out of those controls, but I'm glad it's finally here.

Further edit: It seems Pool Revolution wasn't first and I completely missed Midnight Pool.

StarTropics 2...blech.

One of the first things the game throws at you is a maze where you have to follow the correct symbols to reach the end. This IMO is unforgivable.

Actually on top of that there's an area with hidden holes in the ground. Sorry but that's just plain shit, especially at the beginning of the game.

The controls are a major improvement over the first game at least.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Maboshi's Arcade™ (Nintendo, 1-3 players, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Wii Points): Featuring three distinct modes and simultaneous play across three game windows, the constantly changing environment of Maboshi's Arcade creates an atmosphere unlike any other. Each of the modes is based on one of three familiar shapes (circle, stick and square) and offers the same goal: score a million points. Use the intuitive controls to bash enemies in Circle mode, weave your way through Stick mode or burn a path around obstacles in Square mode-all while dealing with power-up items and keeping watch on which effects the other game windows may have on your own. Also featuring Mii™ characters, action replays that you can send to your Wii™ Friends via WiiConnect24™, and the ability to download a version to a Nintendo DS™, you may never want to leave this arcade.
This sounds really cool.

Davey Cakes

Was it a cat I saw?
Was it a rat I saw?

StarTropics II is underrated in it's predecessor's wake. It's definitely a fun game.

Capndrake

handofg0d said:
That video just confused me more.

Could you please explain how this controls? Can you select which mode you are "focused" on and control only that window, or are you controlling all 3 simultaneously with the same movements?
You play just one game, the AI (Or 2 friends) controls the other two.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Wii Will Rock U said:
I feel the same way. That, Majora, and Smash are the only other three N64 games I really NEED to see on VC .
You have a considerable lack of taste if you don't need Blast Corps.

Capndrake

HUELEN10 said:
I'm in the process of updating the banner. Do we know any definites for EU/JPN yet? What about DSiWare?
Japan gets nothing this week.

It's WiiWare week for Europe this week, the only game confirmed is Fun! Fun! Minigolf.

HUELEN10

Capndrake said:
Japan gets nothing this week.

It's WiiWare week for Europe this week, the only game confirmed is Fun! Fun! Minigolf.
That's all I needed to know, thank Cap'n! Time to update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom