• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stumpokapow said:
startropics 2

Disappointed that it's another one game VC week, but that seems to be standard operating procedure from here on out. I'll have to give Nintendo some credit here though - they released StarTropics on the first VC release week of 2008, and now they've released Zoda's Revenge on the last VC release week of 2008 - that's some nice and unexpected symmetry.

I loved the original StarTropics, but I do think the sequel is inferior. I'm not going to discourage anyone from downloading it though, maybe if StarTropics & Zoda's Revenge get enough purchases, I'll get a part three that's more like the original. :lol

PepsimanVsJoe and I agree on very little when it comes to the StarTropics franchise, but I do agree the hidden mini-dungeons at the beginning of the first area are bizarre, annoying, and definitely "unfun." Why the designers decided that it was a good idea to make that the first controlable action that players are exposed & forced to make their way through will always be beyond my comprehension.

TJ Spyke

This also means that the last 2 licensed NES games are now on the VC (Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II came out in March 1994, Wario's Woods came out in December 1994).

HUELEN10

TJ Spyke said:
This also means that the last 2 licensed NES games are now on the VC (Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II came out in March 1994, Wario's Woods came out in December 1994).
How many Nintendo NES games are yet to be released? Anyone got the list?

Capndrake said:
I think it's just Golf.

No, Pro Wrestling hasn't been released yet either. And we'll get Devil World as an import at some point I imagine. Once we get beyond those three titles though, you have to start wading through licensed games, games that utilize accesories (Zapper, R.O.B, etc.), or titles like Dr. Mario that would affect similar WiiWare offerings. The first party NES cupboard is pretty much bare.

Edit: Forgot about Nintendo World Cup, listed in TJ Spyke's post below. It's already hit Japan, so I'm sure it'll hit North America at some point. And if Nintendo World Cup hits, I don't see why we wouldn't get Super Spike Volleyball (another game that was Nintendo published, Technos developed).

I believe a poster in the previous thread mentioned that Joy Mech Fight would be fantastic import title since it features almost no text. Nazo no Murasamejou doesn't seem to feature much text either based on the YouTube video I watched. And of course Mother has already been localized, so that's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned (Nintendo of America's conclusions may vary).

TJ Spyke

HUELEN10 said:
How many Nintendo NES games are yet to be released? Anyone got the list?

Counting only games Nintendo owns the rights too (currently, meaning stuff like Tetris or arcade games from other companies that Nintendo published on the NES aren't included), the following NES games from Nintendo have yet to be released in North America (Famicom Disk System games not included):

Mahjong
Gomoku Narabe Renju
Family BASIC
Devil World
F-1 Race
4nin Uchi Mahjong
Wild Gunman (used Zap Gun)
Duck Hunt (used Zap Gun)
Golf
Hogan's Alley
Stack-Up (used R.O.B., but was not needed to actually play the game)
Gyromite (used R.O.B., but was not needed to actually play the game)
Gumshoe
Famicom Wars
To the Earth
Short Order + Eggsplode (used the Power Pad)
Mother (aka EarthBound Zero)
Dr. Mario
Barker Bill's Trick Shooting (used the Zap Gun)
Nintendo World Cup
Pro Wrestling
Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryū to Hikari no Ken ("Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragons and the Blade of Light")
Shin 4nin Uchi Mahjong: Yakuman Tengoku
Super Spike V'Ball
Fire Emblem Gaiden
Joy Mech Fight

26 games, 11 of which have never been released in North America before (although Devil World was released in Europe).

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Original Post for week of Dec. 22 through Dec. 28

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday in North America. They go up every Tuesday in Japan. They go up every Friday in Europe.

Japan

This week's JP WiiWare games (released Dec. 24)

Simple Series Vol. 3: Mahjong (D3, 1-4 players, 500 Nintendo Points)

Lost Winds (Square-Enix, 1-2 players, 1,000 Nintendo Points)

This week's JP Virtual Console games (released Dec. 24)

Salamander (Famicom, Konami, 1 player, 500 Nintendo Points)

Super Nobunaga no Yabou: Zengoku Han (Super Famicom, KOEI, 1-8 players, 1,000 Nintendo Points)

Super Wonder Boy: Monster World (Master System, Sega, 500 Nintendo Points)
(no screenshots available)

Fire Pro Wrestling 3: Legend Bout (PC Engine, Human Entertainment, 600 Nintendo Points)
(no screenshots available)

This week's JP DSiWare games (released Dec. 24) (there's too damn many games in DSiWare's debut, I'm not putting descriptions or pictures this week)

Chotto Magic Taizen (Nintendo, 200 Nintendo Points)

Paperplane (Nintendo, 200 Nintendo Points)

Pyoro (Nintendo, 200 Nintendo Points)

Art Style: AQUARIO (Nintendo, 500 Nintendo Points)

Art Style: DECODE (Nintendo, 500 Nintendo Points)

Chotto Asobi Taizen (Nintendo, 500 Nintendo Points)

Chotto Dr. Mario (Nintendo, 500 Nintendo Points)

Utsusu Made in Wario (Nintendo, 500 Nintendo Points)

Chotto Brain Training: Arts version (Nintendo, 800 Nintendo Points)

Chotto Brain Training: Science version (Nintendo, 800 Nintendo Points)

North America

This week's NA WiiWare games (released Dec. 22)

Tiki Towers (RealArcade, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone-Comic Mischief, 500 Nintendo Points, 284 Blocks)
Tiki Towers is a game of construction, destruction, problem-solving and monkeys. Reclaim the islands of your tribe by defeating a series of evil enemy chiefs. Work with your monkey friends to build towers out of bamboo poles, coconuts and vines. Match wits against the enemy chiefs bent on destroying your towers and driving you from the islands. Navigate levels filled with crazy building challenges, and deal with unfriendly wildlife and other environmental obstacles. Get your monkeys to chant for the BananaMana necessary to counter enemy attacks. Play in either single-player or two-player cooperative mode in this game where monkeys rule.

Fun! Fun! Minigolf (Shin'en Multimedia, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 900 Nintendo Points, 302 Blocks)
Play minigolf with your friends in beautiful environments. Choose a character and turn your Wii Remote controller into a golf club. With its easy-to-use controls, all you need to do is aim, swing and see who's the best putter. Play 27 holes spread across America, Asia and Europe. Enjoy exotic locations all over the world. Go for gold in single-player mode, or invite your friends. Fun! Fun! Minigolf supports up to four players. You can use one to four Wii Remote controllers. Fun! Fun! Minigolf is the ultimate party game for everyone.

This week's NA Virtual Console game (released Dec. 22)

Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium (Sega Genesis, Sega, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone-Fantasy Violence, Mild Sexual Themes, 800 Nintendo Points, 42 Blocks)
Phantasy Star IV is the fourth released game from SEGA's epic Phantasy Star series, one of SEGA's biggest RPGs on the SEGA GENESIS. In the year AW 2284, planet Motavia is once again plagued by strange biocreatures, and it's up to the brave men and women of the Hunters Guild to exterminate them. You are Chaz Ashley, a rookie Hunter straight out of training who is supported by Alys Brangwin-a crafty veteran whose good looks and prowess with the blade have earned her an awesome reputation. These two Hunters, along with a cast of supporting characters, will go beyond Motavia to unwittingly save their entire solar system.

Europe

This week's EU WiiWare games (released Dec. 26)

None. =(

This week's EU Virtual Console games (released Dec. 26)

SECRET OF MANA (Super Nintendo, Square-Enix, 800 Nintendo Points)
The acclaimed action RPG arrives on Virtual Console! Featuring an epic storyline, a strategic real-time combat system and a cooperative three-player mode, Secret of Mana rightly deserves its place in any fan's collection.

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (Master System, Sega, 500 Nintendo Points)
This unique SEGA MASTER SYSTEM sequel sees Sonic on the trail of his kidnapped friend, Tails, through seven zones of platform peril. Collect the Chaos Emeralds, go for a spin in a minecart and take to the skies for some hair-raising hang gliding!

Links to Related Threads

For a more exhaustive look at the entire WiiWare library, including recommended titles to purchase and to avoid, check out PantherLotus' WiiWare Discussion thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247865

If you're looking for the old thread for Virtual Console and, to a smaller extent, WiiWare discussion, check out Kobun Heat's thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129709
He... he wants you to complain about how shitty VC is. So do that there.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Shits already gettin' confusing with two kinda official threads.

Anybody bought Secret of Mana in PAL land? How is it conversion wise?

MaBoShi: The Three Shape Arcade (Nintendo, 1-3 players, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Nintendo Points, 109 Blocks)

Play minigolf with your friends in beautiful environments. Choose a character and turn your Wii Remote controller into a golf club. With its easy-to-use controls, all you need to do is aim, swing and see who's the best putter. Play 27 holes spread across America, Asia and Europe. Enjoy exotic locations all over the world. Go for gold in single-player mode, or invite your friends. Fun! Fun! Minigolf supports up to four players. You can use one to four Wii Remote controllers. Fun! Fun! Minigolf is the ultimate party game for everyone.

The OP is screwed up :p

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Another first-party NES game that could make it as an import is Mother. Yes, I know, Nintendo hates Mother and its fans, but there is an official translation for Mother. It's not like Nintendo would have to do any translation work for the VC release.

Of course, not even Japan has Mother yet, so why bother hoping? D:

Somnid

Japan has no update this week, that can be erased from the OP.

Also the other thread should probably be killed/renamed to avoid confusion.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
DAIRANTO SMASH BROZAHS!

Well I'm excited. My top Virtual Console release request since the Wii's launch is finally coming (albeit to Japan)... Can't wait for the NA release. :D

Edit- Yup, been posted.

cvxfreak

Super Smash Bros. shall be mine on my Japanese Wii. Can't believe it's been 11 months since Brawl hit Japan. Time flies. Better remind myself to buy 2 1000 Point cards in Japan next week.

Somnid

Danthrax said:
Ah hell! Thanks, fixed now.

Yeah, it's blanked out now. I wanted to leave it up until at least Tuesdayish.

The Japanese update is only about 6 or so hours later than the US one. Japan time is ahead so it'll actually go up Monday night. You can edit at the same time.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TJ Spyke said:
IIRC, that was nothing more than a rumor.

No, it was reported in GameReactor.

picfu2.png

It'll probably hit this quarter, Opera's very busy right now with Opera 10.

So, fill me in guys, is Smash Bros. coming next week in both Japan and America?

Also, I've extensively been looking into picking up MaBoShi's Arcade, anyone have it that could recommend it?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Wii Will Rock U said:
So, fill me in guys, is Smash Bros. coming next week in both Japan and America?

Also, I've extensively been looking into picking up MaBoShi's Arcade, anyone have it that could recommend it?

America? No idea. Japan? No. It'll be out in Japan sometime in January, but not in the first week.

[edit]aaaand the OP is updated with European WiiWare information. enjoy!

wsippel

Banned
Andrex said:

This screenshot is fake as far as I know. It shows Firefox rendering a website, not Opera, with a very unbelievable interface put on top. Look at the cube in the top right corner - looks like ass and completely out of place, doesn't it? Nowhere near as polished as you'd expect.

And I checked all GameReactor sites back when the rumor came up, and couldn't find this news anywhere...

Danthrax said:
America? No idea. Japan? No. It'll be out in Japan sometime in January, but not in the first week.
Okay, thanks. Hopefully Nintendo loves me because I'd really love ot be playing it on my Wii come this Monday. :lol

And again, the question about Masboshi's quality is still up in the air. I really am debating a purchase and I'd like to have an answer from whoever can help.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
wsippel said:
This screenshot is fake as far as I know. It shows Firefox rendering a website, not Opera, with a very unbelievable interface put on top. Look at the cube in the top right corner - looks like ass and completely out of place, doesn't it? Nowhere near as polished as you'd expect.

And I checked all GameReactor sites back when the rumor came up, and couldn't find this news anywhere...

Maybe you're right. I hated how the interface looked, but I'm not one to be judging Opera's design decisions.

TJ Spyke said:
No Virtual Console games in PAL regions this week?

It's been like this for about six months now. One week has 2 - 4 Virtual Console releases with the next week having 2 - 4 WiiWare titles. Lather, rinse, repeat. So, next week will be all Virtual Console titles in PAL Land with no WiiWare games, unless Nintendo of Europe dramatically changes course in the new year.

Wii Will Rock U said:
Okay, thanks. Hopefully Nintendo loves me because I'd really love ot be playing it on my Wii come this Monday. :lol

And again, the question about Masboshi's quality is still up in the air. I really am debating a purchase and I'd like to have an answer from whoever can help.
Did you like the Art Style/Bit Generation games? Maboshi is based on the same philosophy, games that appear simple but have lots of intricate mechanics that give the gameplay plenty of depth.

Among the three games included, I think the circle game stands out above the other two - it's faster pace makes it better suited for the arcade-style gameplay found in Maboshi, but the stick and square games are solid in their own right. The entire game is extremely polished and has plenty of features (DS download play is like the coolest feature in any game ever), so it's definitely been worth the price of admission for me.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
phantasy star 4?!

GC|Simon

Fun! Fun! Minigolf is available in Europe now. I already got it. Some impressiones:
- graphics are great, looks much better than many retail games, bump mapping, ...
- 30 courses, divided in three degree of difficulty
- the courses are very realistic, like real minigolf courses
- good controls, just swing the wiimote, small movements are enough
- there is only one mode and you can play this mode with up to 3 friends
- no things to unlock

I like the game, I played all courses together with my brother and we had a lot of fun. It's a bit disappointing that I've already seen the whole game but I'm really loking forward to play this with friends. If you like minigolf you should check this out.

nincompoop said:
Did you like the Art Style/Bit Generation games? Maboshi is based on the same philosophy, games that appear simple but have lots of intricate mechanics that give the gameplay plenty of depth.

Among the three games included, I think the circle game stands out above the other two - it's faster pace makes it better suited for the arcade-style gameplay found in Maboshi, but the stick and square games are solid in their own right. The entire game is extremely polished and has plenty of features (DS download play is like the coolest feature in any game ever), so it's definitely been worth the price of admission for me.
Yeah, I actually love the concept of the Art Style games but I never purchased any on WiiWare.

So yeah, from that recommendation, I think I'll download Mashboshi's and save my other 1200 for Smash Bros. on Monday (If it comes this Monday)

Lee N

Membre
Andrex said:

picfu2.png

GameReactor never reported about it. Some guy admitted to photoshopping that picture and sending it to Go Nintendo and claiming that GameReactor wrote about it - which of course they didn't.

Go Nintendo swallowed the bait without even checking the source, and it spread to other blogs after that.

TJ Spyke

Updated with this weeks release, this is the difference between North America and PAL for Virtual Console.

North America, but not PAL regions:
NES- The Legend of Kage, Elevator Action, Milon's Secret Castle, Lode Runner, Star Soldier, Super C (available in EU, not in AUS), NES Play Action Football, Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos, Zanac, Ghosts 'n Goblins (available in EU, not AUS), Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom, King's Knight, Bases Loaded, Renegade, Sky Kid, Donkey Kong 3, Clu Clu Land, Super Dodge Ball, Tecmo Bowl, Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II

SNES- Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV: Wall of Fire, Metal Marines, Axelay (available in AUS, not EU), Super Turrican 2

N64- Mario Golf

SMS- Enduro Racer

GEN/MD- Powerball

TG16 & TG16CD- Bravoman, Ordyne

PAL regions, but not North America:
NES- Skate or Die!, Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, Devil World

SNES- Mario's Super Picross

GEN/MD- Crack Down, ESWAT: City Under Siege

C64 (in EU, not AUS)- International Karate, Uridium, California Games, Impossible Mission, The Last Ninja, World Games, Paradroid, Last Ninja 2: Back with a Vengeance, Nebulus, Cybernoid: The Fighting Machine, Summer Games II, International Karate +, Pitstop II, Boulder Dash, Jumpman, Mayhem in Monsterland, Impossible Mission II, Last Ninja 3: Real Hatred is Timeless

Total: 28 only in North America only, 6 in EU/AUS only, 18 in EU only, 2 in NA and EU, 1 in NA and AUS.

Nabs said:
it's very good
Haha, thank you.

Decisions...decisions...

Buy Masboshi's Arcade and Mario Golf 64 today and have 20 points left over or wait until Monday for Smash Bros. and then buy one or the other of Masboshi/Mario Golf.

What should I do GAF?

TJ Spyke

Super Smash Bros. has not been announced for North America yet, so don't expect it to show up Monday or you will be disappointed if it doesn't get added.

HUELEN10

TJ Spyke said:
Super Smash Bros. has not been announced for North America yet, so don't expect it to show up Monday or you will be disappointed if it doesn't get added.
Nailed it.

TJ Spyke said:
That's true but considering every other N64 VC Update listed for Japan came to America the same week or earlier and we always get a good game for the first VC update of a year, I feel pretty confident in thinking we'll ge tit this week and if not this week then the next.

Of course, I'm not saying it WILL be the Monday release but I have high hopes.

TJ Spyke

Wii Will Rock U said:
... and we always get a good game for the first VC update of a year,

:lol :lol

Are you forgetting 2007 already? The first VC update was January 1, when we got Baseball and Urban Champion.

I'm sure we will get SSB soon, but even in Japan it just has a general January 2009 release date.

Baseball and Urban Champion? Oh...yuck.

Well, I still have high hopes for Monday. And, even if it doesn't come out, I WILL be downloading SOMETHING good since I got 2000 Points for Christmas and haven't touched 'em yet.

Also, do all newly released games on VC and WiiWare give Club Nintendo points now??

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Wii Will Rock U said:
Also, do all newly released games on VC and WiiWare give Club Nintendo points now??

Don't you only get those for buying new Nintendo-published games from brick-and-mortars? I don't think they come with every game that comes out for Wii, nor for any digitally distributed game.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though.

TJ Spyke

Right now, only select Virtual Console and WiiWare games provide Coins. Check the Club Nintendo thread for the list. There are third party titles that get coins like Mega Man 2 and Mega Man 3. I don't think any of them are set up to provide coins yet but they are eligible.

Hot off the presses . . .

Nintendo PR said:
WII-KLY UPDATE: ONE WIIWARE GAME AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Jan. 5, 2009

A new year means even more new games at the Wii™ Shop Channel, starting with a pair of imaginative titles to kick off 2009 in style. Anyone who loves Kirby™ can keep the confetti flying to celebrate the release of the classic Kirby's Dream Land™ 3 for the Virtual Console™. And if you're already desperate for a warm mid-winter getaway, check out Sandy Beach, a sand castle game on WiiWare™ that's loaded with sunny fun.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare

Sandy Beach (Konami, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone—Comic Mischief, 500 Wii Points): Enjoy a fun day at Sandy Beach as you build elaborate sand castles. You can work peacefully on your sand castle or enter into a battle with invading crabs in Crab Battle mode. Players will strategically build their sand castle and use cannons to defend it against an army of destructive crabs. After successfully defending your sand castle, discover beach treasures and additional cannons with your metal detector to customize your castle even more.

Virtual Console

Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Super NES™, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Wii Points): Kirby, Dream Land's resident hero (and everyone's favorite puffball), must once again save the day when the mischievous King Dedede starts causing trouble. Kirby must travel through an assortment of levels, battling an exotic array of enemies (both new and familiar) determined to stop him from completing his mission. Always armed with his trusty ability to swallow enemies and gain special attacks, Kirby can also unite with some of his animal friends and make use of their particular talents. Featuring detailed graphics, challenging boss battles and the distinct charm of a Kirby game, it's no wonder this title is considered a classic.

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.

Sandy Beach (Konami, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone—Comic Mischief, 500 Wii Points): Enjoy a fun day at Sandy Beach as you build elaborate sand castles. You can work peacefully on your sand castle or enter into a battle with invading crabs in Crab Battle mode. Players will strategically build their sand castle and use cannons to defend it against an army of destructive crabs. After successfully defending your sand castle, discover beach treasures and additional cannons with your metal detector to customize your castle even more.

CRAB BATTLE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom