• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

Borman

Yeah, it just does it automatically when you set it in the dashboard, right? I also had widescreen on, but it stretches everything out, other than the actual gameplay (in NGB, at least), so I turned it off again. 4:3 is just the way to go with that generation.

Unfortunately, I can tell that my disc drive is about to crap out, which isn't surprising considering the abuse this system's seen over the years. I was planning to just buy a new one. Problem is, I dunno which version number to look for, or when the Xbox hardware saw those revisions. Because don't the 1.6 Xboxes have an issue playing certain games in 480p? Yuck!

That, and I was kinda hoping to get one of the fancy pants limited edition systems, but wanna know whether or not it's "safe" to replace my launch day one with it.

Yep, so long as its on in the dash you're set.

Don't buy a new Xbox, just buy a new drive if that's the path you want to do. No reason to replace everything. Thompson drives are known to be the worst of the bunch (although later ones are decent), philips are middle ground, samsung are considered the best (although they dropped a bit towards the end). The Hitachi-LG drives are good as well, but more limited. There are no fancy firmwares, just unscrew, unplug, and reverse with the new drive. Sure, you could start by cleaning your drive, tweaking the pot, but that is a stopgap fix at best.

My recommendation is to honestly skip out on a DVD drive, and go all out with a modification. Since yours is a launch system, it is easily flashed with a new bios. Pop in a new HDD, and enjoy all the benefits of having everything available a click away. Now it may seem like a lot of work, but it is the best path, and there are still people out there willing to do it for you. A new or used DVD drive may work for a bit, but you'll ultimately run into the same issues no matter the system you get.

bigace33

Still one of my favorite consoles of all time. The first time I saw Splinter Cell and Halo my jaw just dropped. Loved GTA3 on the OG Xbox as well with it's shiny cars and spruced up graphics.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yep, so long as its on in the dash you're set.

Don't buy a new Xbox, just buy a new drive if that's the path you want to do. No reason to replace everything. Thompson drives are known to be the worst of the bunch (although later ones are decent), philips are middle ground, samsung are considered the best (although they dropped a bit towards the end). The Hitachi-LG drives are good as well, but more limited. There are no fancy firmwares, just unscrew, unplug, and reverse with the new drive. Sure, you could start by cleaning your drive, tweaking the pot, but that is a stopgap fix at best.

My recommendation is to honestly skip out on a DVD drive, and go all out with a modification. Since yours is a launch system, it is easily flashed with a new bios. Pop in a new HDD, and enjoy all the benefits of having everything available a click away. Now it may seem like a lot of work, but it is the best path, and there are still people out there willing to do it for you. A new or used DVD drive may work for a bit, but you'll ultimately run into the same issues no matter the system you get.

Primary reason I'm considering just getting a new system is because the case is really banged up. I want something that looks nice on the shelf. Such vanity, I know... but alas.

Borman

Primary reason I'm considering just getting a new system is because the case is really banged up. I want something that looks nice on the shelf. Such vanity, I know... but alas.

Even still, you can consider doing all the same advice to the new console then :p

Codiox

just bought one for 10€ with 1 controller + 5 games (far cry instincts,nfs u2, nfs carbon, football manager and my favorite: Turok Evolution)

just ordered a component cable from china, i hope this works out well (est. delivery: 8 weeks.....)

in the next couple of days i will install a 160GB HDD.

cant wait to play the Tony Hawks in 720p. i read some pages ago the Xbox versions are the definite versions of the games.

never owned a Xbox, just a Gamecube back in the 6th Gen. i really regret that i went with Nintendo back in the days instead of a powerhouse like the xbox :-(

Borman

Awesome :) I have two prototype Xboxes on the way (along with two more that should have been here months ago...), a handful of US games, and a handful of Japan-only games. Should put me close to 200 games, around 185 unique if I had to guess.

Codiox

any suggestion what the best fan is for the xbox? the stock one is really loud >_< i really wanna change it.

Should I grab one of these things? I was always a Sony fan growing up (still am), but some of the exclusives here look like a lot of fun.

Borman

New lighting setup is going to be lots of fun.

EFXlcDx.jpg

Somnia

I really miss my OG Xbox, I wish I had never sold it.

Time to go searching on ebay! I can honestly say it was one of my favorite systems right after the SNES, I miss day one of Xbox Live with Mechassault =)

I also need to re-start my 360 collection, I have so much shit to buy.

edit: They do make component cables for the xbox right?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What's the problem with 1.6 besides them having issues with that old Softmod that broke the GPU's image to the TV while flashing. After the mod (takes like 30 mins or so "blind") it was fine?

Speaking of which, you say there's people out there still willing to work on the systems? I've been wanting to fully trick my X-box out but I don't have the mechnical skill to unlock/upgrade the drive and move my X-box's X-box Live DRM and account information over.

Also IIRC there's a mod for PSO X-box that upgrades the EXP given that I've been wanting to look into for the sake of running through PSO's two episodes pretty quickly but haven't looked at it.

Danny Dudekisser

Finished Ninja Gaiden Black. Still the best action game ever... in fact, I think I actually liked it even better this time around. Just a masterclass in game design.

Fortunately, this came in the mail today:

BejNg7pCEAEBFiF.jpg

Cannot fucking wait. And I have a bunch more games on the way. It's weird how, even though I've had the thing since 2001, I'm just now figuring out how good this system is.

I
edit: They do make component cables for the xbox right?

They do. The one you probably want to get is Microsoft's "High definition AV pack." It's got component video and optical audio.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's like an OG Xbox Renaissance in here. I've been buying games lately and having a great time. In the last two weeks I've picked up:

Jedi Outcast
Burnout 3
Jet Set Radio Future

In addition to the ones I had in the closet from before. The eject button on my Xbox is sticking, so I'll probably pick up a new one soon.

Somnia

It's like an OG Xbox Renaissance in here. I've been buying games lately and having a great time. In the last two weeks I've picked up:

Jedi Outcast
Burnout 3
Jet Set Radio Future

In addition to the ones I had in the closet from before. The eject button on my Xbox is sticking, so I'll probably pick up a new one soon.

Bolded was so good (was never much of a car guy), man the amount of great games on the OG Xbox now that I'm going through and making a list of games to buy... my list is getting fucking huge lol

Shenzakai

Banned
Now I've ordered Breakdown thanks to this thread :)
Phantom Dust never was available in PAL regions isn't codefree, therefore I won't be able to play it unless I mod my Xbox. The same for Component/HD support, which isn't working out of the box on PAL Xboxes.

Nevertheless I started with setting the internal clock on the european launch date (2002-03-14) and smashed JSRF into the disc drive. Played it round about 2hrs and realized how awesome this game is. Totally love to play with the Duke! 8)

Borman

Now I've ordered Breakdown thanks to this thread :)
Phantom Dust never was available in PAL regions isn't codefree, therefore I won't be able to play it unless I mod my Xbox. The same for Component/HD support, which isn't working out of the box on PAL Xboxes.

Nevertheless I started with setting the internal clock on the european launch date (2002-03-14) and smashed JSRF into the disc drive. Played it round about 2hrs and realized how awesome this game is. Totally love to play with the Duke! 8)

No reason not to modify it at this point really.

Was bored today, so I finally went ahead and hooked this sonbitch up:

BeczK0nCIAAPuuK.jpg

I haven't actually used the thing in... uh... 7 years, so I was glad it turned on. I tried using it with composite cables at first, just to remind myself what it looked like, and then opened up the component box. Night and fucking day. Composite has always looked really washed out on the Xbox. Component, unsurprisingly, fixes that. I'm pretty amazed by the image quality on this system. And the color looks so, so good.

Maybe more surprising, though, is the sound quality. I'm using the official MS component box, which has optical out. It sounds crazy good. Sound is extremely clear, and games seem to make much better use of LFE than the PS2 or GC do. It doesn't sound compressed, nor does it sound boomy even when it comes to the bass. I like it.

Ninja Gaiden Black is obviously still fantastic. I haven't played Black since 2005, and the last time I played NG was with Sigma... and now I realize exactly how awful of a port that was. Black is still as good as it gets, and I'm stunned by how good the game still looks. Something about the lighting outside of Han's Bar in level 4 just makes me feel good. It's weird, I know.

So, it's weird. I knew that "HD AV Pack" would make a difference, but it's really revitalized the system for me. Clearly, between that and the stupid cheap game prices right now, this is a good time to work on my XBox collection. Before everyone else catches on.

so beautiful. the component cables look great too, I have an official pair also.

antronoid

I found my old copy of Midtown Madness 3... I spent a lot of time on that game, so that made me happy!

I have been tempted to get my old Xbox out for a while.

Tain

Crazy Taxi 3 is definitely overlooked and should be played by all fans of the original.

I'm not sure if I'd put it above the original though. Maybe it's just the camera, but the cars feel very different between CT and CT2/CT3. I love the jerky camera in CT1, really lets you feel every shift. And I think I prefer CT1's console-exclusive city over Small Apple and Glitter Oasis, even if CT3's West Coast is better than the original arcade city and undoubtedly the best city in the series.

Danny Dudekisser

My copy of Outrun 2 came in today. Neat!

I'm kinda thinking about picking up Shenmue II again. I have the Dreamcast version, and even if I get this one, I'll keep that one just 'cuz. The English voice acting is obviously pretty bad (the JP voices are crap too, though), but the Xbox version is a lot prettier and runs at a way more consistent frame rate. Decisions, decisions.

Danny Dudekisser

Where did you get an official HD pack?

Third party seller on Amazon. They show up from time to time, though I'd ask them to make sure it's the first-party one, cuz there's a ton of third party cables out there.

It looks like there's one seller with a new one on Amazon right now.

I had to go out and buy myself another Xbox after getting rid of the first one when I got a 360. I play Rallisport Challenge 2 a lot even to this day. NFL 2k5 is still the best football game out there (thank god for updated rosters.)

Havoc2049

I already have a fairly large Xbox collection, but there are still around 10 or so titles that I want to pick up. Went to a local used game store and all the good stuff they had I already owned. I did pick up Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter though, which I had forgotten about and it's fairly unique in that it's a FPS/Space Combat Sim hybrid, with Henry Rollins doing the voice work for the main character. At only $5 it seemed interesting and just might be a unique somewhat hidden gem. I remember the game getting average to slightly above average reviews back in the day. Anyone else play it?

Henry Rollins as the voice of the main character is a riot. The trailer is pretty good and has me geeked to play it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YKr-XsCv4s

The second best way (maybe best because of the other benefits) to play original Xbox games is to get a jtag hacked Xbox 360. There is a modified backwards compatibility update that lets you play any original Xbox game, plus you can run them from disc, hard drive or external, with or without mods and from any region.

That reminds me, I need to look up Rent-A-Hero, Metal Wolf Chaos, and a few other games again.

lem0n

Been playing PGR 2 again. Platinums are so tough, ugh.

Also had a Halo 2 LAN party this past weekend for my birthday.

OG Xbox has been getting a bit of use lately <3

Bought a bunch of Xbox games at the local swapmeet assuming theyd probably work on 360....nope! Gunvalkyrie, Otogi look great just from their cover art but 360 emulation really is spotty/half-baked.....well are xbox's cheap yet?

TheYanger

I guess this is the new list then:

Tony Hawk 3 (better than PC version it seems, so must own)
Conker: Live and Reloaded
Blinx
Blinx 2
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
Dino Crisis 3 (game probably sucks but its exlusive)
GunValkyrie
Jet Set Radio Future
Ninja Gaiden Black
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Phantom Dust
Steel Batallion
Crazy Taxi 3: High Roller (Its on PC but not easy to find)
OutRun 2
Shenmue 2
Crimson Sea
Grabbed By the Ghoulies
Otogi 1 and 2
Armed and Dangerous
Breakdown Another
Spikeout

Anyone wants to add something? its time to raid Kijiji, local shops, etc :D

Deathrow. FANTASTIC futuristic sports combat game. I liked to call it Mutant League Rugby when I had to try and describe it.

4 player head to head or co-op was a blast too, What can beat teams of ninjas, robots, demons, boba fett style mercenaries, convicts, etc killing each other while scoring with a disc and a goal?

MadLukas

Banned
I played two of the greatest games of the my gaming life on this machine:

-Conker's Bad Fur Day (also on N64)
-Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

I would initially bought a PS3 and started saving for it. But through a summertime job i had enough for a 235€ Ebay Xbox 360 and that was the beginning of my new started Love for Microsoft.

Hasnt stopped since with my Xbox One.

Sakujou

Banned
hi there,

does someone know which games were region-free and which were not? is there a list? since the 360 its impossible to find such a list.

back then, some shops were offering imported games which would also run on the OG xbox or 360. but these shops are long gone.

i hope some of you guys can help out.

another question is, since the ac/dc adapter is outside of the xbox, i can just buy a OG xbox from japan/us and i can run it here in PAL regions with its ac/dc adapter... right?

another question is...

phantom dust and N.U.D.E.

any other prime examples of xbox games, i definitely have to buy?

Some answers:

another question is, since the ac/dc adapter is outside of the xbox, i can just buy a OG xbox from japan/us and i can run it here in PAL regions with its ac/dc adapter... right?

Right, you can do that, on the original Xbox and the 360.

phantom dust and N.U.D.E.

any other prime examples of xbox games, i definitely have to buy?

Phantom Dust is a must but for N.U.D.E. you need great Japanese skills, since you are teaching the girl. If you do not speak Japanese, it is prety much unplayable. I have the game on my collection however.

Dehnus

I loved it so much more than the 360, everybody made fun of it, but really it was a decent piece of gaming kit. So many nice games for it and it was an absolute blast to play on as things just worked.

You still had a similar atmosphere in the start of the 360, but half way up that thing became COD machine.

Games like PGR 2, Crimson Skies: HRTR, Midtown Madness 3, Rallysport Challenge, Voodoo Vince, Blinx, Halo, Conkers live and Reloaded (As a remake it still holds up nice, the graphics blew even Doom 3 away.. what lighting!), Grabbed by the Ghoulies...

Really miss that machine, but I suppose MS had to be the first to market and Nvidia had no intention of lowering the price of the GPU.

Recall

I have a binder full of my Xbox discs as I scrapped the boxes except for Tony Hawk 3, Tony Hawk 4, Halo 1, Halo 2, Fable, Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and SF: Anniversary Collection, which I kept in their boxes as normal.

WarpathDC

This thread is making me want to run out and buy another OG. I bought livel as soon as it was available and I miss how much better the community was than now. I distinctly remember an annoying 12 year old trying to be obnoxious in ghost recon and instead of just muting him out both teams just circled him and repeatedly shot him. I hardly play mp shooters now because the communities are so terrible.

Playing the Whacked xbl demo online was hilarious fun too. Drunken nights of That, ghost recon,and mech assault with friends put me on academic probation in college lol.

PGR2 is my favorite racing game of all time. Makeshift games of Cat & Mouse with Mini Coopers on Nürburgring were some of the best times I've had playing online with friends. KGB Corner is a fantastic track as well. So many good memories. It along with Otogi 1 & 2 are the only Xbox games in my collection.
It's almost like I wrote that post. You have impeccible tastes.
We probably played PGR2 together at some time. I was a 52..53? Somewhere around there. Anyhow, Carrera GT on Castle Eight? The best shit ever. I miss those days
You and me both. Going off the first quote, Cat and Mouse was ALL I played once I found out about it. To this day, I have yet to have a proper revival of Cat and Mouse. In any game, period. So great to hear people bring this back up. Nothing like FLYING down that last straightaway in the Nurb to plow the back corner of the winning mini at the last moment, causing spin outs, massive pileups, andplenty of hilarity. I DANGIT WE NEED TO BRING THIS BACK. GTA:eek:nline might be the next best/easiest way of doing so...though, it'd be MUCH harder to accomplish..
Man I'd kill for a new Phantom Dust or Otogi.
Never played PD, but I would KILL to see a new Otogi. THAT MUSIC. THAT WATER!!!! THAT TERRAIN DEFORMATION!!!!!!! Man too much goodness in those games...

Danny Dudekisser

I'll post some more pics later. The first year of OXM, along with the original E3 issue.
DSCN0391.jpg

Xbox magazine was actually pretty good for the first year or so. Got kinda shitty after that, but uh... yeah. It was cool for a while.

Only issue I still have is the first one. My favorite part of it is the "ultimate Xbox setup" guide they have in there, which pretty much got me into home theater stuff and all that. If I'd never read it, I might be a much saner person today.

It's almost like I wrote that post. You have impeccible tastes.

Weird. Is PGR2 better than the 360 sequels or something? I only played PGR1 extensively.

Xbox magazine was actually pretty good for the first year or so. Got kinda shitty after that, but uh... yeah. It was cool for a while.

Weird. Is PGR2 better than the 360 sequels or something? I only played PGR1 extensively.
Funny, I just moved, and when I got to packing up my Xbox games, I found ALL my demo discs from those mags...so many great memories of getting SOOOO excited for those demos.

I only played PGR3 extensively on the 360, never got 4. Played 1 to death, and 2 FAR more than that. 3 never quite had the same feeling for me. It was a lot of fun, and it looked gorgeous, but something about it, it just never was the same for some reason. I don't know if the freedom of online racing from 2 was gimped in 3 or not, can't remember, but I just vividly remember PGR2 over any of the others. I can't say for sure, but it just wasn't the same. Any other PGR2 vets care to weigh in? I'm afraid it's been faar too long, and my memory just isn't what it used to be -_-

I totally forgot to add though, my absolte FAVORITE game on the Box. UNREAL CHAMPIONSHIP 2. It was not connected to UC1 in any way, aside from the name. The game was far, far, faaar ahead of it's time. Imagine Unreal Tournament, where everyone had melee weapons. These were balanced by the fact that you could reflect ANY projectile back at the shooter for more damage (and the projectiles went faster) if you timed it right. Imagine reflecting a headshot back, or reflecting a group of rockets with another player, then playing "tennis" with the cluster of rockets. Levels designed with tri jumping, wall jumping everywhere, 1st or 3rd person gameplay, mutators, online play, and so much more. I'd post screens & a video if I wasn't at work. But the game was a masterpiece that got overlooked due to the crappy UC1 game that was put out.

Top Bottom