• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

My most fond gaming memory, and I wasn't much of an OH Xbox fan, was working at GameStop and playing PGR2 and Dead or Alive 3 with Trust Company ripped to the HDD. LOVED IT.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
HD AV pack is out for delivery...gotta go dig up those component cables.

You know it comes with component cables, right? All it doesn't include is cables for the audio.

Anyway, today's game came in:

BfBHurbCcAAUYfE.jpg

Slowly, but surely, my Xbox collection is becoming less of an embarrassment to my friends and loved ones.

Teknoman

You know it comes with component cables, right? All it doesn't include is cables for the audio.

Anyway, today's game came in:

BfBHurbCcAAUYfE.jpg

Slowly, but surely, my Xbox collection is becoming less of an embarrassment to my friends and loved ones.

I ended up getting one of these:

Wasnt brand new in box or anything, and didnt mention if the seller was going to include cables, would be nice though.

You don't even need actual component cables. Any ol' composite video/audio cables will do the same, too. I bought a used HD AV pack for a buck or two at a Play N Trade sometime early last year, and I just used some generic composite cables. Composite and component cables are identical. Just make sure that video cable connections are matching the same colors from the pack to the TV. I used yellow for green, white for blue, and red for...red.

I did eventually switch those out for some high-quality component cables I had laying around but couldn't find before, though, but it makes no difference in picture.

Also, make sure to use an optical audio cable for glorious 5.1 audio!

Wow. I feel like I could have written the OP, although Amped and Amped 2, as well as Rallisport Pro, would have figured more highly in my remembrance.

kick51

Banned
Genma Onimusha makes me wanna chuck a controller sometimes

also, Ninja Gaiden before it was Ninja Gaiden:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtSxAA9BMcE

That's Storm Riders, some weird licensed game tecmo was working on. You can see a jillion similarities in graphic design + animation that went right into NG. Can't get it to work on my modded xbox though or I'd be on that MamaRobotnick shit detailing everything :'( have i already posted that here? apologies for the repeat if so. I ordered the Ninja Gaiden demo disc as a consolation. It came out long before the game, so there should be some interesting stuff.

If I get rich, I'm gonna put a bounty on getting the Ninja Gaiden Hurricane packs to work on a modded xbox. What? I'm dead serious, that shit is LOST permanently right now and all these idiots running around the net saying it's the same thing as NGB aren't helping. lol

also, CoinOPs is a pretty amazing emulator. Only problem is you have to download the complete 50gbs of ROMs it supports with it or it doesn't fucking work because the creator is a nutjob.

Borman

Hey thats my video :p

Its really not NG before NG. In reality, it is a tech demo that uses stuff from Ninja Gaiden most likely. The demo was built on July 22 2005, while NG was out March 2, 2004. Now, I know of some screens from an early build of NG that was a bit different, but this isn't it.

I dont think the Hurricane packs are lost, I think I may have them in this folder called Ninja Gaiden DLC hah. Havent tried it to know what exactly is in it. I also know of a review copy that was sold if all is lost. Edit; Yep, says its both Hurricane packs. Whether or not they actually work and do anything without XBL is a different story :p

kick51

Banned
Hey thats my video :p

Its really not NG before NG. In reality, it is a tech demo that uses stuff from Ninja Gaiden most likely. The demo was built on July 22 2005, while NG was out March 2, 2004. Now, I know of some screens from an early build of NG that was a bit different, but this isn't it.

I dont think the Hurricane packs are lost, I think I may have them in this folder called Ninja Gaiden DLC hah. Havent tried it to know what exactly is in it. I also know of a review copy that was sold if all is lost. Edit; Yep, says its both Hurricane packs. Whether or not they actually work and do anything without XBL is a different story :p

ahhhhh, and after I had a whole argument with the unseen64 guy about it. He could've just told me the build dates lol

The data files are out there, but afaik, you can't start a new Hurricane Pack playthrough without being connected to Xbox Live. And there's all kinds of checks in place to make sure no one could cheat because of the Master Ninja Tournament. One of those is that you can't transfer a save with a new playthrough or it corrupts, iirc.

I forget if you can even load up the DLC. Maybe you can load it but can't start a playthrough? I forget what the exact situation was.

Any other info you wanna share on that would be awesome (and those early NG screens too!) Thanks for the response!

Borman

Someone said the Hurricane Pack 1 works at the very least.

Yeah, build dates are the first thing I check. People on Unseen64 tend to jump to conclusions without doing the proper research, which is why I tend to not visit very often anymore.

The Hurricane Pack 1 changed stuff in the main story mode of game. It added a counter move, new enemies, and AI enhancements, so those still work. I use the counter move a lot when I play the game. Hah.

The online stuff doesn't work, though, of course. I think Hurricane Pack 2 might have all been online-related.

Borman

The other pickup for the day: 3 builds of Mech Assault, a build of Pandora Tomorrow, and a build of CMR3. Don't expect anything majorly different on them, but it should be fun to pick at to see minor date changes.
xmq7xuY.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

The other pickup for the day: 3 builds of Mech Assault, a build of Pandora Tomorrow, and a build of CMR3. Don't expect anything majorly different on them, but it should be fun to pick at to see minor date changes.
xmq7xuY.jpg

Huh... they still used the Microsoft Confidential discs back in the Xbox era? I still have a few of those laying around here somewhere from my gamez journalizm days, along with some stuff for the PS2. I think I was supposed to send some of them back, but I uh... didn't.

Borman

Huh... they still used the Microsoft Confidential discs back in the Xbox era? I still have a few of those laying around here somewhere from my gamez journalizm days, along with some stuff for the PS2. I think I was supposed to send some of them back, but I uh... didn't.

Yep, they didnt change much really. The best stuff comes from developers and on HDDs, but this will do for now. Most people didnt send their stuff back hah. You should back up some of those games, you never know what is on it.

kick51

Banned
got my ninja gaiden OXM demo...didn't have anything too special that's different.

less geometry, more slippery controls, some different spawns, UTs work different. murai's hands looks like he has the mumps. Did make me start a playthrough of the original release though. I hate how you can only use the lightsaber for like 5 minutes in black before the game's over and with no new game+.

Borman

Todays pickups:
8XJBNtv.jpg

Cracked case on NfSMW and missing manual for Morrowind, but easily fixed. Looking forward to trying out the Topgun

Danny Dudekisser

I played through Gunvalkyrie again yesterday. It was kinda weird loading the game up, and then seeing that I had save files for it from about 12 years ago.

Game is still great, though definitely different. It's basically Burning Rangers, if it were way cooler and on a system that wasn't complete horse shit at 3D.

The controls are kinda like riding a bike -- I immediately remembered what I was doing and was zipping through stages like a goddamn pro. The thing that surprised me the most about the game is how much unexplained shit there is. There are all kinds of maneuvers you can do that the game never even hints at. And I like that.

Best level is still Naglfar's Pit 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK7r1Z3P99Y

So yeah, game is pretty sweet. It's not for everyone, but it was for me.

Apart from that... I bought a couple more games that aren't here yet, and a controller S. Those things are expensive. I'm hoping that it's actually an official one... obviously it's going back otherwise. Always tough to tell with that shit these days.

koopas

I'm finding the opposite. All I seem to find are controller s (reasonably priced I may add as well.) I just picked myself up a duke which i had trouble finding. Love that giant bastard.

Havoc2049

I played through Gunvalkyrie again yesterday. It was kinda weird loading the game up, and then seeing that I had save files for it from about 12 years ago.

Game is still great, though definitely different. It's basically Burning Rangers, if it were way cooler and on a system that wasn't complete horse shit at 3D.

The controls are kinda like riding a bike -- I immediately remembered what I was doing and was zipping through stages like a goddamn pro.

I love the feeling of accomplishment you get when you master the controls in GunValkyrie. Once the controls are mastered, game plays like a dream.

Because of this thread, I just bought Spikeout and a stand alone copy of Sega GT 2002 (only had the combo version).
WP_20140131_003_zps07c143fc.jpg

My complete Sega Xbox collection.
WP_20140131_009_zps6b0f33d5.jpg

Two of my favorite Xbox games:
WP_20140131_007_zpsac1e0653.jpg

WP_20140131_006_zpsa9a39ab6.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

i've gotta put in the proper time to Otogi 1+2 and Gun Valk.

any opinions on Arx Fatalis?

Arx Fatalis is the kind of game kids that who got beat up at school like.

Edit: To add some detail, Arx Fatalis is the nerdiest shit you can possibly play. It's for people who think Gothic is too mainstream. It's a game with completely busted mechanics and utterly obtuse everything. It has no redeeming qualities. I can't imagine someone liking it and not being a complete dork.

kick51

Banned
Arx Fatalis is the kind of game kids that who got beat up at school like.

Edit: To add some detail, Arx Fatalis is the nerdiest shit you can possibly play. It's for people who think Gothic is too mainstream. It's a game with completely busted mechanics and utterly obtuse everything. It has no redeeming qualities. I can't imagine someone liking it and not being a complete dork.

it's a rogue-like? cause i've been playing those lately. i administer my own swirlies after.

Danny Dudekisser

it's a rogue-like? cause i've been playing those lately. i administer my own swirlies after.

It's not a roguelike. It tries to be as open-ended as possible in terms of how you complete quests, and I remember spending a lot of time crafting. I hate crafting. Even if you like that sort of thing, though, it devolves into tedium pretty quickly. The game's bigger problem is that it was way too ambitious for the budget and tech that it had. Some of the game's ideas were genuinely interesting for a 2002 game... it's just the execution that was miserable.

kick51

Banned
^^weird japanese xbox games i've never heard of. what even
edit: nm, i see some of them are just differently titled. And I recognize Rent-A-Cop!

It's not a roguelike. It tries to be as open-ended as possible in terms of how you complete quests, and I remember spending a lot of time crafting. I hate crafting. Even if you like that sort of thing, though, it devolves into tedium pretty quickly. The game's bigger problem is that it was way too ambitious for the budget and tech that it had. Some of the game's ideas were genuinely interesting for a 2002 game... it's just the execution that was miserable.

ah, sounds like wrpg jank.

I was still using my Xbox 1 up until around 2011. Softmodding it opened up new possibilities. XBMC. UnleashX. Shitload of emulators. Customized Halo 2 levels. If the PSP was the homebrew king, the Xbox 1 was the console equivalent.

I love the OG Xbox. One of my favorite consoles. It had the superior ports of multiplatform games for the most part, and It also had some awesome console exclusives too!

Here's my collection so far. It is still missing many key titles (shame on me for not owning Halo CE), but I am happy with what I have.

5E2xuu9.jpg

-Amped
-Amped 2
-Black
-Blinx
-Bloodwake
-Breakdown
-Brothers in Arms: Hill to Road 30
-Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood
-Burnout 2
-Burnout 3
-Burnout Revenge
-Chronicles of Riddick: EFBB
-Cold Fear
-Colin McRae Rally 2005
-Counter Strike
-Crimson Skies
-Dead or Alive Ultimate
-Dead or Alive 3
JUaOiAY.jpg

-Dead or alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball
-Dead to Rights
-Demon Stone
-Deus Ex Invisible Wars
-Doom 3
-Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil
-Enclave
-Fable Lost Chapters
-Far Cry Instincts
-Far Cry Instincts Evolution
-Forza Motorsports
-Full Spectrum Warrior
-Genma Onimusha
-GTA Double Pack
-GTA San Andreas
-Group S Challenge
-Half-Life 2
-Halo 2
JTWVnAG.jpg

-Hitman 2
-Indigo Prophecy
-Jade Empire
-Just Cause
-Kill Switch
-LOTR The Two Towers
-LOTR Return of the King
-LOTR The Third Age
-Max Payne
-Max Payne 2
-MechAssault
-MechAssault 2
-Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance
-Midtown Madness 3
-Midway Arcade Treasures 3
-Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2
-Need For Speed Most Wanted
-Ninja Gaiden Black
JHN8FuP.jpg

-Oddworld Munch's Odyssey
-Oddworld Stanger's Wrath
-Otogi
-Outrun 2006 C2C
-Painkiller
-Panzer Dragoon Orta
-Phantom Dust
-Pirates of the Caribbean
-Prince of Persia Sands of Time
-Prince of Persia Warrior Within
-Prince of Persia The Two Thrones
-Project Gotham Racing
-Project Gotham Racing 2
-Quantum Redshift
-Rallysport Challenge
-Rallysport Challenge 2
-Return to Castle Wolfenstein
-Serious Sam 2
YtNag6S.jpg

-Shenmue II
-Soul Calibur II
-Spy Hunter
-Star Wars KOTOR
-Star Wars KOTOR II
-Sudeki
-Thief Deadly Shadows
-Time Splitters 2
-Time Splitters Future Perfect
-Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3
-Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
-Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
-Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
-Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent
-Tomb Raider Legend
-Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2X
-Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3
-Top Spin
T7bRoML.jpg

-Unreal II
-Unreal Championship
-Unreal Championship 2
-Voodoo Vince
-Wreckless
-XGRA
-XIII

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Finally were able to pick up a used Xbox with 2 controller S and all cables for 25€. Very happy, now I can finally play some older Microsoft gems :D

Borman

How much did all of those set you back? Do you have a list of all of them?

Rent a Hero No 1
Magatama
Innocent Tears
Double Steal the Second Clash
Thousand Land
Angelic Concert
Braveknight
J-phoenix
Ex Chaser
Dinosaur Hunting
Exaskeleton

Was around 200$ all told. Some of it would have been cheaper to buy on Amazon US, but I didnt trust the shipping for it.

Rent-a-Hero still stings.

Game looked baller beyond belief.

Play the leaked English version

Borman

Today's awesome pickup:
p1E4sp4.jpg

50$. Has an Xbox and some games. Would have been like 30 games but a bunch got stolen from the guy at some point. Got a little damp on the way home but what can you do?

Nvzman

Conker: Live and Reloaded looked like a 360 game on this thing. Awesome console, too bad MS took the toll shortly after.

Borman

Ended up with a refurb Xbox and 3 games that I didnt have with the kiosk unit. Also a bunch of games that were in poor condition that were without the disk but the cases were good, which is nice. And a few more that were case and manual only that Ill hold onto until I get the game (complete or not, can make a better condition version otherwise).

Top Bottom