• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

Borman

Bought a bunch of Xbox games at the local swapmeet assuming theyd probably work on 360....nope! Gunvalkyrie, Otogi look great just from their cover art but 360 emulation really is spotty/half-baked.....well are xbox's cheap yet?

Xboxes can be had for as little as 10-15$ locally to me, so I imagine it is similar elsewhere.

hi there,

does someone know which games were region-free and which were not? is there a list? since the 360 its impossible to find such a list.

back then, some shops were offering imported games which would also run on the OG xbox or 360. but these shops are long gone.

i hope some of you guys can help out.

another question is, since the ac/dc adapter is outside of the xbox, i can just buy a OG xbox from japan/us and i can run it here in PAL regions with its ac/dc adapter... right?

another question is...

phantom dust and N.U.D.E.

any other prime examples of xbox games, i definitely have to buy?

Get Phantom Dust, and not NUDE. Youll be staring at a translation guide for NUDE the entire time.

The power supply is INSIDE the box for the Xbox, so you'll need a power converter. Otherwise, you can swap the internal power supply with the same model. Beware, there are a few different revisions of Xboxes, each with a different power supply.

I haven't seen a region free list, although I would be curious to know which are myself so I can add it to my website.

The second best way (maybe best because of the other benefits) to play original Xbox games is to get a jtag hacked Xbox 360. There is a modified backwards compatibility update that lets you play any original Xbox game, plus you can run them from disc, hard drive or external, with or without mods and from any region.

That reminds me, I need to look up Rent-A-Hero, Metal Wolf Chaos, and a few other games again.

It helps, but obviously isn't perfect. Some games will look great, but will suddenly start running at half the framerate.

You and me both. Going off the first quote, Cat and Mouse was ALL I played once I found out about it. To this day, I have yet to have a proper revival of Cat and Mouse. In any game, period. So great to hear people bring this back up. Nothing like FLYING down that last straightaway in the Nurb to plow the back corner of the winning mini at the last moment, causing spin outs, massive pileups, andplenty of hilarity. I DANGIT WE NEED TO BRING THIS BACK. GTA:eek:nline might be the next best/easiest way of doing so...though, it'd be MUCH harder to accomplish..

Play it on XLink Kai :D

Is there an easy way to check the Xbox version by looking at the console label on the bottom?

You can kind of tell by date, Ill see what I can find shortly.

Elija2

The second best way (maybe best because of the other benefits) to play original Xbox games is to get a jtag hacked Xbox 360. There is a modified backwards compatibility update that lets you play any original Xbox game, plus you can run them from disc, hard drive or external, with or without mods and from any region.

How does that work? Wouldn't the unsupported games be incredibly buggy?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Depends on the game. Some are better than others. Some games weren't enabled not because they didn't work, but because of licensing or the developer/publisher not wanting it I think. Sports games in particular.

Edit: Estimate an Xbox version: http://www.eurasia.nu/wiki/index.php/XboxVersionTable

The 1.6 ones are the only ones you want to avoid, right? Or were there other models that had issues running certain games in 480p?

Double posting again, bleh.

Here is a picture to give you an idea of the mess I have going. The wires are all for lights, I moved recently and havent gotten to figuring them out yet.

qTh1tZV.jpg

No, that isn't all of them -_-

damn bruh

wanders

Can anyone recommend me any local 4 player games that would also work on 360? I'm picking up Fuzion Frenzy I'm wondering if there's anything else.

lem0n

It's almost like I wrote that post. You have impeccible tastes.

You and me both. Going off the first quote, Cat and Mouse was ALL I played once I found out about it. To this day, I have yet to have a proper revival of Cat and Mouse. In any game, period. So great to hear people bring this back up. Nothing like FLYING down that last straightaway in the Nurb to plow the back corner of the winning mini at the last moment, causing spin outs, massive pileups, andplenty of hilarity. I DANGIT WE NEED TO BRING THIS BACK. GTA:eek:nline might be the next best/easiest way of doing so...though, it'd be MUCH harder to accomplish..

Never played PD, but I would KILL to see a new Otogi. THAT MUSIC. THAT WATER!!!! THAT TERRAIN DEFORMATION!!!!!!! Man too much goodness in those games...

Man... Cat and Mouse. TVR's vs Minis. So many good memories there. I had countless hours on PGR2, I actually broke the in-game clock lol. Many of those hours were undoubtedly spent in C&M. As someone else mentioned, XLink Kai might be the answer, I'm just reading about it now, and might give it a shot. I've never heard of it before today lol. I wonder if the Kudos levels still work......

How does that work? Wouldn't the unsupported games be incredibly buggy?

Honestly, most of them aren't that buggy. Don't get me wrong you aren't getting 100% of them to work perfectly, but it certainly is a space saving option. Plus you can run emulators, unsigned code and so on and so forth.

lem0n

So... does anyone here still mess with XLink Kai? I just joined and PGR2 rooms seem non-existent. I'd love to get some PGR/Halo/Midtown Madness 3 rooms going at some point!

Danny Dudekisser

Any opinions on Super Monkey Ball Deluxe? I have the GC version of SMB1, but I know that this is supposed to collect all of that content, along with the second games, and then throws in some extra stuff. So is this the definitive version of those games, or would I be better off sticking with the GC originals?

Borman

So... does anyone here still mess with XLink Kai? I just joined and PGR2 rooms seem non-existent. I'd love to get some PGR/Halo/Midtown Madness 3 rooms going at some point!

I was trying to get an idea of when people were available and what they wanted to play a few pages back. Its tough within this thread, so I thought about hastily setting up the forums on my hopefully-soon-to-launch Xbox site, but I havent gotten to it.

Edit: New game day! Some I already had in Japanese or crappy copies, but still hah
obouOyM.jpg

lem0n

I was trying to get an idea of when people were available and what they wanted to play a few pages back. Its tough within this thread, so I thought about hastily setting up the forums on my hopefully-soon-to-launch Xbox site, but I havent gotten to it.

Edit: New game day! Some I already had in Japanese or crappy copies, but still hah
obouOyM.jpg
Ah, I didn't see that a few pages back, I'm just tuning into this thread and haven't made my way backwards yet. If you get some people interested let me know, as I'd love to get some rooms going in whatever game!

Also, I just scored a 36'' Trinitron flat screen and a 32'' widescreen RCA flatscreen off of craigslist for $10. What a deal that was lol. Old man just wanted em gone... what will be better, probably the 4:3 one, right?

Borman

The Trinitron should be amazing. Someone threw one out in my apartment complex. Good size, but no component inputs so I was sad.

Im up for trying just about any game online. If it has a dedicate server, I can host that too.

Danny Dudekisser

Outrun 2 along with the two games that came in today:

BethOTgCYAAKlDg.jpg:large

Awesomely, Outrun 2 has a sticker on the top saying not to open before 10/26/04. I think I'm safe.

Danny Dudekisser

I have no idea if Spikeout is good. It looks like it could be cool. It's a Sega beat-em-up, and IIRC, Tain recommended it earlier in the thread. I trust that dude.

Anyway, thinking about rebuying Shenmue II on Xbox, I've noticed that the old Shenmue II Xbox cover has pretty much disappeared from the internet. This is apparently real, and what Sega was going to use at first. Talk about your missed opportunities.

y2NBGYT.jpg

Elija2

Anyway, thinking about rebuying Shenmue II on Xbox, I've noticed that the old Shenmue II Xbox cover has pretty much disappeared from the internet. This is apparently real, and what Sega was going to use at first. Talk about your missed opportunities.

y2NBGYT.jpg

Man, what's with Ryo's head there? Were they trying to make him look like more of a gritty badass?

lem0n

The Trinitron should be amazing. Someone threw one out in my apartment complex. Good size, but no component inputs so I was sad.

Im up for trying just about any game online. If it has a dedicate server, I can host that too.
Ok so update on those TV's! The Sony does not support 480p, I was getting a crazy scrambled signal when I started a game. Turned progressive off on the Xbox and then it was fine. But that RCA widescreen? Damn, what a picture. It makes the Xbox look like a 360, nearly. I just need to find a spot for it now lol.

Shenzakai

Banned
Is there an easy way to check the Xbox version by looking at the console label on the bottom?

Unfortunately not, but someone has linked a website in this thread where it is described how you can determine your OG Xbox's revision.

Besides, does anyone have an overview of all the existing Xbox dashboard software versions? I can't find anything about it on the net. My OG Xbox dashboard dates to 2004 with some kind of version number, but I don't have it at hand right since I'm at work.

Can you guys recommend good local MP games for up to 4 players on Xbox besides Halo 2 and Fuzion Frenzy?

Xboxes can be had for as little as 10-15$ locally to me, so I imagine it is similar elsewhere.

Really? Not in SF! Or ebay for that matter, a cursory scroll on my end found only 70$ systems :(

I'd love to reimburse a fellow gaffer if they find one for such price and would be willing to ship it!

I'll be softmodding mine again this weekend for HD component output (PAL machine here) but I simply LOVE this console. I'm so glad I could get mine fixed when it broke last year. I will keep it forever, even if only as a SF:AC arcade machine.

Havoc2049

Unfortunately not, but someone has linked a website in this thread where it is described how you can determine your OG Xbox's revision.

Besides, does anyone have an overview of all the existing Xbox dashboard software versions? I can't find anything about it on the net. My OG Xbox dashboard dates to 2004 with some kind of version number, but I don't have it at hand right since I'm at work.

Can you guys recommend good local MP games for up to 4 players on Xbox besides Halo 2 and Fuzion Frenzy?

There is actually a bunch. Many of the FPS, vehicle combat and racing games on the XB have split screen multiplayer.

Then there are all the co-op dungeon crawler action-RPG's, such as Bauldur's Gate: Dark Alliance I & II, Gauntlet I & II on the Midway Arcade Treasure games, Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows and Dungeons & Dragons Heroes.

My favorite co-op game is Microsoft's own sci-fi action adventure game, Brute Force, which was made for 4-player co-op. It's really good via lan/system link. The graphics take a hit when you play split screen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy2rkKco3tU

Borman

We're working on compiling version numbers, its slow going.

http://xboxarchive.co.uk/doku.php?id=operating_system:start

So I think I'm probably going to go for it and pick one of these guys up sometime in the near future. My list of games to get right now is:

JSRF
PGR2
Ninja Gaiden (Black)
Otogi2
Forza
Otogi 2 (maybe)
Halo/2

Are there any other noteworthy games worth checking out? I love racing and action games, so those would be especially interesting to me.

Borman

As Sixteen-Bit said, Rallisport 2 is a must have.

Double STEAL Second Clash is great, but Japan only (despite having an English mode)

Riddick is amazing.

Crash Nitro Kart is surprisingly good. 720p support. Same with Hulk Ultimate Destruction

Grabbed by the Ghoulies is underrated.

Can't go wrong with Midtown Madness 3. I bet its one of the titles we'll play on a game night. Same with Phantom Dust

Khaz

Hi guys!

I bought an Xbox a couple years ago but I only could plug it once to test it and I had to put it back in a box because life. You can probably help me here.

I bought it used and it came with a five racing games. I'm not a fan of this genre and I was wondering if you could give me your advice on them. I like arcade-ish racing better, I may get that Sega GT game.
  • midnight club 2
  • midnight club 3
  • the dukes of hazard
  • midtown madness 3 (not for resale, was it bundled?)
  • R:racing

I couldn't play them but I still bought:
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta
  • Jet Set Radio Future
  • Rocky Legends (I played the demo at a friends and loved it)
  • Gunvalkyrie
  • Dead or Alive 3
  • Halo (came with the box, not really interested in FPS)

At some point I plan to get:
  • Conker live and reloaded (or am I better off with the N64 one?)
  • DoA xtreme volleyball (for the novelty of it. Is the volleyball part worth it?)
  • Hunter: The reckoning (but which one? I think I played a bit of the first at a friends)
  • Ninja Gaiden Black (how does it compare to Shinobi PS2?)
  • Phantom dust (praised on GAF)
  • Sega GT 2002 Online

What am I missing? I have a PAL console but it can probably be modded I guess.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
shame it's not playable at all if you don't have the cnsole anymore :(
That's how most video games work ;)

Ok guys, PSO arrived today. There is one telltale indication that the game was resealed, right here:
Still, this sticker is ON the plastic wrapping so whoever resealed it would have had to peel it off and reapply it. Which isn't impossible, unlikely though as this game isn't worth all that much even new, and it WAS sold to me as "used".
Either way I don't collect new games, so I eagerly cracked it open.
Interesting offer for a free usb keyboard adapter, didn't know og Xbox had one but that beats the hell out of paying $80 for the GC keyboard!

Sits rather comfortably with the other SEGA Xbox games I've picked up over the past few months.

koopas

Ok so update on those TV's! The Sony does not support 480p, I was getting a crazy scrambled signal when I started a game. Turned progressive off on the Xbox and then it was fine. But that RCA widescreen? Damn, what a picture. It makes the Xbox look like a 360, nearly. I just need to find a spot for it now lol.
What model is the rca widescreen?

koopas

Ok guys, PSO arrived today. There is one telltale indication that the game was resealed, right here:

Still, this sticker is ON the plastic wrapping so whoever resealed it would have had to peel it off and reapply it. Which isn't impossible, unlikely though as this game isn't worth all that much even new, and it WAS sold to me as "used".

Either way I don't collect new games, so I eagerly cracked it open.

Interesting offer for a free usb keyboard adapter, didn't know og Xbox had one but that beats the hell out of paying $80 for the GC keyboard!

Sits rather comfortably with the other SEGA Xbox games I've picked up over the past few months.
I seem to never be able to find JSRF stand alone - I only come across the combo disc.

Codiox

Just played THUG and man,that was one hell of a tony hawk game.also played ssx 3,never played it before,and it is soo much better than the ssx remake.

Im really glad i bought this thing,and thats for only 10€! and all because of this thread lol

Already swapped a 160gb hdd into it. Loving it!

Danny Dudekisser

Actually, that first pic suggests to me that the game was still factory sealed. A number of Xbox games came with the heat shrinkwrap that was sealed in that exact spot, including some from Sega. So... neat!

But, you opened it and played the game, so whatever. That's what matters anyway!

lem0n

What model is the rca widescreen?
Heh, so I actually looked at the thing, it's a Phillips. Lol. The old fart told me it was an RCA so I never gave it a second thought. Couldn't find a model number for you but here it is- Please excuse the horrifyingly awful cellphone picture. I don't have flash.

fae90778-7c5c-4e44-b34f-9fcbb880437e_zps4d2ecbe7.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

This showed up today:

Be2wiRyCEAAiwyI.jpg:large

Neat. I'd always kinda meant to play Tenchu 3. I remember that back in the day, Xbox Magazine put out a demo disc that had both Tenchu and Ninja Gaiden on it. Poor game.

Anyway, I played a bunch of Outrun 2 today. I'm trying to get through every route through the game, so I've played through it like... 12 times already, and I've played a bunch of the challenge missions. And yeah, Outrun 2 kicks the ever-loving shit out of Outrun 2006. The challenge mode is soooooooooo much better in this one, in that it's something that's actually worth playing. The challenges are fun, they're unique, they're never too long... it's great. It's basically the Outrun equivalent of Crazy Taxi's Crazy Box mode. And the fact that you can only unlock stuff by playing through them gives you some incentive to play through the missions, and makes it a lot more satisfying when you get something new. In conclusion, Outrun 2006 is like a 7/10 sort of game while Outrun 2 is a 9/10.

This showed up today:

Be2wiRyCEAAiwyI.jpg:large

Neat. I'd always kinda meant to play Tenchu 3. I remember that back in the day, Xbox Magazine put out a demo disc that had both Tenchu and Ninja Gaiden on it. Poor game.

Anyway, I played a bunch of Outrun 2 today. I'm trying to get through every route through the game, so I've played through it like... 12 times already, and I've played a bunch of the challenge missions. And yeah, Outrun 2 kicks the ever-loving shit out of Outrun 2006. The challenge mode is soooooooooo much better in this one, in that it's something that's actually worth playing. The challenges are fun, they're unique, they're never too long... it's great. It's basically the Outrun equivalent of Crazy Taxi's Crazy Box mode. And the fact that you can only unlock stuff by playing through them gives you some incentive to play through the missions, and makes it a lot more satisfying when you get something new. In conclusion, Outrun 2006 is like a 7/10 sort of game while Outrun 2 is a 9/10.

I always wondered, what was the difference between this game and Tenchu 3?

Top Bottom