• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

Borman

Despite still collecting money to pay for the last unreleased title, I've secured another one that should be here within a week or so.

tumblr_nke9x2ijQ01qhy7g3o1_500.gif

Borman

Going to be posting a short clip of the newly preserved South Park Xbox game on my Patreon shortly :) Will go public in a few days probably.

JQWo0EI.jpg

Edit: Now available :)

Raldoh

Started playing Silent Hill 2 a couple of days ago. Very impressive graphically for a game released in 2001! Although the controls are quite clunky, it is a bit refreshing to play a game that does not use your typical 3rd person action controller layout.

televator

I'm jelly of that Metal Wolf... Because I'm the President of the United States.

Anyway, is there a write up on the net about all the different mobo revision of Xboxes? I've always been curious about what boxes have the better video and/or audio chips and such.

Raldoh

Nice find! I have always wondered about the controllers with the green jewel on it. Never seen them in EU, only controllers with the xbox boot logo on them. Are they part of a limited series or just a regional difference?

Coda

Is there an easy way to play US Xbox games on an Japanese Xbox? I want Otogi 2 as well but feel like I'd need the US version to get through the menus.

Also, randomly came across this game while looking for imports. Looks amazing and seems way better than the original Wreckless, plus it has English text and voice acting all over it.

Double S.T.E.A.L. The Second Clash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSRIjrNpfJw

Borman

Nice find! I have always wondered about the controllers with the green jewel on it. Never seen them in EU, only controllers with the xbox boot logo on them. Are they part of a limited series or just a regional difference?

Thats how they were released in Japan. They have different buttons as well, if you look closely. They were released in certain regions in different packs and limited editions. The US got a "Japanese Controller" limited edition, while it was bundled with some Australia things too. Not sure of other regions though.

Is there an easy way to play US Xbox games on an Japanese Xbox? I want Otogi 2 as well but feel like I'd need the US version to get through the menus.

Also, randomly came across this game while looking for imports. Looks amazing and seems way better than the original Wreckless, plus it has English text and voice acting all over it.

Double S.T.E.A.L. The Second Clash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSRIjrNpfJw

Double Steal 2 is great. And hey, that is my video :) As for imports, you can do softmods and hardmods for the console, just like any other region. But the key is to find the proper games for the region.

And in case you missed my thread, I went hands-on with a cancelled version of BC :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK9G4gZ0hMw

Pf97MDU.jpg

Coda

Double Steal 2 is great. And hey, that is my video :) As for imports, you can do softmods and hardmods for the console, just like any other region. But the key is to find the proper games for the region.

Is it the same process to softmod a Japanese console? Do I need the Japanese version of Splinter Cell? I'm super nervous to do the mod but man would it be great to get Final Burn Legends running and have all my favorite beat 'em ups and shmups on one box.

Borman

Is it the same process to softmod a Japanese console? Do I need the Japanese version of Splinter Cell? I'm super nervous to do the mod but man would it be great to get Final Burn Legends running and have all my favorite beat 'em ups and shmups on one box.

Yeah you would need Japanese versions. The games themselves may be a bit different, so I would take a look around. I do know it is possible though

Coda

Yeah you would need Japanese versions. The games themselves may be a bit different, so I would take a look around. I do know it is possible though

Yeah from some further research it seems like I would need the Asian versions of the games not the Japanese ones. Seems like a pain in the ass here in the states to find an Asian copy of an Xbox game. Probably will hold off from doing it because it seems like to need all these silly things to get it working and would cost me more money than I can spend right now. The fact that I found a US seller selling MWC and a Japan Xbox in one bundle made me jump on the opportunity.

So far I've got 3 games coming that should keep me busy for quite some time:
-Metal Wolf Chaos
-Panzer Dragoon Orta
-Double S.T.E.A.L.: The Second Clash

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Yeah from some further research it seems like I would need the Asian versions of the games not the Japanese ones. Seems like a pain in the ass here in the states to find an Asian copy of an Xbox game. Probably will hold off from doing it because it seems like to need all these silly things to get it working and would cost me more money than I can spend right now. The fact that I found a US seller selling MWC and a Japan Xbox in one bundle made me jump on the opportunity.

So far I've got 3 games coming that should keep me busy for quite some time:
-Metal Wolf Chaos
-Panzer Dragoon Orta
-Double S.T.E.A.L.: The Second Clash
an Xbox without OutRun2 is no xbox at all

Raldoh

I've heard great things about Juiced and remember it being one of the more good looking games released for the Xbox. Never got my hands on it unfortunately. How does the canceled version differ?

Coda

Does anyone know if you can use an American S type controller on a Japanese Xbox? I got the bundle in the mail but had to get my own controller and it's not recognizing it. I thought all peripherals on consoles were region free, so is my controller just busted or is this an issue with regions?

Borman

Does anyone know if you can use an American S type controller on a Japanese Xbox? I got the bundle in the mail but had to get my own controller and it's not recognizing it. I thought all peripherals on consoles were region free, so is my controller just busted or is this an issue with regions?

Should work fine.

televator

Just tried cleaning the contacts still nothing. Stuck at the setup clock screen wanting to play Metal Wolf Chaos for the first time is agonizing.

Did you try messing with any pin connectors on the controller board? There's usually a set of pins that controllers have where the player end of the cord plugs into. Try seeing if that's loose and/or unplug, clean, and replup.

Coda

Did you try messing with any pin connectors on the controller board? There's usually a set of pins that controllers have where the player end of the cord plugs into. Try seeing if that's loose and/or unplug, clean, and replup.

I took it apart and tried but it seemed just completely junk. I picked up another controller today at a local game store and it worked great.

MattyH

picked up a black 2005 manufacture date so 1.6? with 10 games and 2 pads for 20 quid from cash converters today mostly tat games like cat woman but one or two gems like gta san andreas and midnight club 2 not sure what to do with it yet as i already have a softmodded crystal also would it be worthwhile grabbing a component cable

Coda

Is 480i supposed to look any better with a component cable vs composite video? I ask because it seems like Metal Wolf Chaos only supports 480i it seems and it looks practically identical in quality to composite. Also what is the best component cable for the Xbox, the Monster cable or Xbox official cable? It seems I have a generic off brand one so I'm wondering if that is why the quality doesn't look much different or because the game can only run in 480i.

Also how did I not know about this 4 player beat 'em up game that Dimps (the developers for SF IV) made? It doesn't look spectacular but it looks like some Die Hard Arcade kind of fun. Man, the OG Xbox really was the Dreamcast 2.

53844185161865419942.jpg

Top Bottom