• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

Borman

Another 720p Hex mod :) Otogi!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7StEFt2bo8

Edit:
Kameo at 720p! Yes, the original Xbox version :p A bit slow and glitchy, but damn!
8GX4gBw.jpg

Timu

^That's neat.

I got Spikeout Battle Street in the mail so I'm gonna try that. I should had tried this game earlier as I had interest in it.

Timu

The more I play Spikeout the more I don't like it as much as I thought I would.

You are only given 1 life per stage and once you die, you start from the beginning, no checkpoints. If the difficulty was balanced I wouldn't had mind it, but no, it's not balanced at all. Normal feels like Hard and Easy feels like Normal, lol. Enemies are cheap as well and can even break through your combos. Bosses do insane damage no matter the difficultly, but it's best to kill them quickly as the other enemies run away from you once the boss is defeated, which is kind of funny BTW. The difficulty spikes are all over the place in this game.

I like challenge, I mean, I love Ninja Gaiden, Contra, Battletoads and such, but at least make it fair and balanced. If the stages were short I wouldn't mind, but no, the stages get longer the more you progress. You could be at the end of a level, but die all because of a boss or a cheap attack and have to start all over from the beginning.

Combat is nothing special and there aren't much variety in the move set. You have 1 standard attack(plus 1 standard combo), 1 strong attack(plus 1 strong combo), grab moves and a charge move, that's it. They could had done more with the combat as it gets repetitive after a while. I mean, you don't even have sprint and jump attacks, lol.

Controls are questionable. Grab enemies with the left thumbstick automatically instead of a button? Ok, odd because sometimes you'll accidentally grab an enemy by walking into them when you just want to punch/kick them. Double tap up on left thumbstick to sprint? Ok, very odd as you have all these buttons. To pick up weapons, you do this, and I kid you not: Push down on the left thumbstick and press x and y at the same exact time. Wow, no single button, you need 2 and the thumbstick. You can't bring your weapon once you clear an area, and if you get hit once with the weapon you drop it and it disappears forever. WTF, I expect that in a late 80s/early 90s game, not an Xbox game that has Dreamcast graphics.

The Battle Street Mode is basically the Story but with no cutscenes, customization like choose characters you unlocked, choose stages you unlocked, multiplayer for up to 4 and have continues. This is more fun than the story mode, and yet, you need to beat the stages to unlock them for this mode, lol.

It's a shame, I wanted to really like this, but man does this game have problems.

Another 720p Hex mod :) Otogi!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7StEFt2bo8

Edit:
Kameo at 720p! Yes, the original Xbox version :p A bit slow and glitchy, but damn!
8GX4gBw.jpg

i wish there was a way to run the Hex mods on our disc copies, sort of like how Wii Homebrew allows us to apply mods/hacks before it boots the game from disc. my OG Xbox is modded with a bigger HDD and i still won't have enough room to store all of my disc games at once.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, what's lead to the influx of Xbox emulation development in the last month?

Kinda crazy that things are advancing so far all of a sudden. And it's a good thing.

Shaneus

Again, I'll remind people here that many of these videos are accelerated 4x-10x in some instances. So while they're good at indicating accuracy, don't at all think that these things are actually playable (yet). But it's a great indicator of what we have coming up in the future, when all we need is optimisation.

Timu

Again, I'll remind people here that many of these videos are accelerated 4x-10x in some instances. So while they're good at indicating accuracy, don't at all think that these things are actually playable (yet). But it's a great indicator of what we have coming up in the future, when all we need is optimisation.
Well, like I said before, I'm surprised to see the games start at all knowing how tough Xbox emulation is.

Shaneus

Well, like I said before, I'm surprised to see the games start at all knowing how tough Xbox emulation is.
Yeah, I wasn't targeting any one poster specifically, just seeing some enthusiasm that may or may not be misguided. Personally I think it's all quite amazing, the thought of being able to run something like Outrun 2 (or anything else, really) with no slowdown is incredible. Oh, and running Chihiro/dev stuff (like 720p-patched titles) on my PC.

But I think it'll be a long wait until things get to that state. But at least there's progress! Obviously I'm grateful to all the people working on this (even posting updates in here). It's pretty crazy.

PGamer

fucking juniors
So, what's lead to the influx of Xbox emulation development in the last month?

Kinda crazy that things are advancing so far all of a sudden. And it's a good thing.

More or less it's just that a couple of developers have actually been putting a lot of work into the emulator recently starting back in June/July which wasn't happening previously. For much of 2014 and early 2015 very little work was being done on XQEMU. These videos are the result of 2-3 months of sustained emulator development. Hopefully this progress keeps up and the developers aren't sidetracked with other things.

More games running in XQEMU:

- Future Tactics: The Uprising
- Kakuto Chojin: Back Alley Brutal
- MechAssault
- Slam Tennis
- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4

Shaneus

The way that texture/LOD popup is happening is interesting with THPS4.

Do you know if there's any progress (or attempt) to get the original menu system up and running? I can't remember what it used to be called, but I'd imagine that would be one of the simpler things to get running at full speed.

Borman

The way that texture/LOD popup is happening is interesting with THPS4.

Do you know if there's any progress (or attempt) to get the original menu system up and running? I can't remember what it used to be called, but I'd imagine that would be one of the simpler things to get running at full speed.

I believe the dashboard was partially working already.

Shaneus

What? How? I assume it's a custom mod and not anything dev-related. I'd love to play one just to experience Outrun 2 without slowdown.

Borman

What? How? I assume it's a custom mod and not anything dev-related. I'd love to play one just to experience Outrun 2 without slowdown.

Yep, a custom deal from a guy in Hong Kong. Expensive, and runs hot so Ill be doing some modding this weekend, but worth it.

Shaneus

Yep, a custom deal from a guy in Hong Kong. Expensive, and runs hot so Ill be doing some modding this weekend, but worth it.
I just realised what it'd mean not only for games that traditionally run a little slower than they should (like Outrun 2) but also 720P-patched titles like PGR2. Yikes.

Wonder if some games could also be patched to run at 60fps rather than 30? Doubt it, but interesting to contemplate.

Bar81

I just realised what it'd mean not only for games that traditionally run a little slower than they should (like Outrun 2) but also 720P-patched titles like PGR2. Yikes.

Wonder if some games could also be patched to run at 60fps rather than 30? Doubt it, but interesting to contemplate.

The flipside is that some games don't work properly even at the "default" xbox speed so it's not a universal solution.

Cday

Banned
The only easy one is to change the default 40 wire ide cable to an 80 wire one. Gives you a significant boost in transfer rate. I've heard that this is incompatible with sata adapters though. Upgrading the RAM requires SMD soldering and some other junk.

Can you tell me how to play PGR2 in 720p?

I have a modded XB running coinops at the moment with a component lead and would love to play some Xbox games in 720!

Borman

I have a modded XB running coinops at the moment with a component lead and would love to play some Xbox games in 720!

Without 128mb of RAM, it is going to be even glitchier than it already is

Are there any easy XBOX hardware mods (RAM upgrade, etc.) that would enable it to play Full HD MKVs?

Not really. RAM isn't easy, but it would help. Even still, most files need to be re-encoded since the Xbox lacks any real hw acceleration for that sort of thing, so its slow.

Would probably depend on the game. Theoretically, some can be patched.

Shaneus

Speak to Borman :) I believe it's not hard to do, but you may need to have upgraded memory. And it runs way slower (otherwise they would've released the game in 720P).

Khaz

Ooh I've been meaning to ask: the Xbox controller has two memcards slots, but why two? Why even one, when any USB stick can be plugged into the console with a simple adapter?

Was there any meaningful use of memory cards on the console?

Shaneus

Ooh I've been meaning to ask: the Xbox controller has two memcards slots, but why two? Why even one, when any USB stick can be plugged into the console with a simple adapter?

I don't think there was ever an official way to use a USB stick on a console, the adapter would've been third party. For the two memory slots, they were both use as generic expansion ports (like the Dreamcast) so while they could've been used for memory, they also could be used for headsets and maybe some other things.

Borman

I don't think there was ever an official way to use a USB stick on a console, the adapter would've been third party. For the two memory slots, they were both use as generic expansion ports (like the Dreamcast) so while they could've been used for memory, they also could be used for headsets and maybe some other things.

Technically, Microsoft released a USB keyboard adapter for PSO that works with USB memory sticks. Put yourself back in 2000 when the Xbox was being created though. At that point, the first commercial drive had been released in December 2000, which is when alpha kits were available. The size? 8mb. Same size as the Xbox memory card. USB thumb drives just werent a sure thing, and requiring an extra adapter to use them wouldnt have been popular, and just imagine the nightmare of trying to support a brand new technology.

The reason for two slots comes with Xbox Live. First slot, communicator headset. Second slot, memory card with your XBL profile that you can take anywhere. With just those two things, and a controller of course, you could play on XBL at a friends house or wherever you wanted to go.

And of course, that USB keyboard adapter was available :)

Khaz

There were no USB sticks in 2000? Damn I'm getting old.
What was the trend in portable storage back then? Zip drives? I want to say Minidisc but I don't think they were used for anything but audio.

gelf

What was the trend in portable storage back then? Zip drives? I want to say Minidisc but I don't think they were used for anything but audio.

I used to burn onto a CDRW to take bigger files into university back in those days or just email them to myself for smaller files. It was a confusing time for storage. I imagine USB sticks weren't as cheap as there are now when they first appeared also.

*feels old*

REDSLATE

Floppies were still in use, and CDs were an option (though I recall the default burning software being a pain to use).

I had Zip Disks for personal storage (100 Megs!), but the drives usually weren't common enough for me to use the disks portably. I don't believe DVDs were widely in use as DVD readers/players were still fairly new.

Borman

Started working on my Xbox site again. Managed to figure out one of the major features using the tags, so Im happy with that. But does anyone happen to have an A-Z index recommendation for wordpress that actually works? Really, all I need it for are games, being able to select the Game category and have it list a clean table of names by letter would be a great start. Bonus points if I can pass on tags to it.

televator

OMG, this last conversation here reminded me of having to use floppy disks in High School all the time. Holly damn, might as well tell me the light bulb was just invented 10 years ago. Lol!

Top Bottom