• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

Shaneus

Ive heard some really good things going on behind the scenes for XQEmu. Really good. People will be surprised.
I just want Outrun 2 to run at full speed. And RSC2. And the PGRs. Maybe a few others as well.

Not that I'm demanding all that much because, well, it's all free!

Is it wrong to think that we'll get Chihiro support with XQEmu as well?

Borman

I just want Outrun 2 to run at full speed. And RSC2. And the PGRs. Maybe a few others as well.

Not that I'm demanding all that much because, well, it's all free!

Is it wrong to think that we'll get Chihiro support with XQEmu as well?

This was on the XQEmu site ;)

STjjwQH.png

REDSLATE

Alright, thanks - I'll start by cleaning the drive and see what happens.

Regarding soft modding, that still requires an Action Replay + Splinter Cell, correct?

First Editions of either Splinter Cell, Agent Under Fire, or MechAssault will work. As for the Action Replay, a USB adapter and flash drive will work, but finding a drive that's compatible may prove challenging. Running the software itself is incredibly easy.

First Editions of either Splinter Cell, Agent Under Fire, or MechAssault will work. As for the Action Replay, a USB adapter and flash drive will work, but finding a drive that's compatible may prove challenging. Running the software itself is incredibly easy.

I used MechAssault and a standard 8MB Xbox memory card to softmod my console a year or two ago, because my cheap Chinese GC/Xbox/PS2-controllers-to-PC adapter that I got for a couple bucks years ago happens to support Xbox memory cards. Just upload the files to the card on the PC, you can use that for the softmod on the xbox.

REDSLATE

I used MechAssault and a standard 8MB Xbox memory card to softmod my console a year or two ago, because my cheap Chinese GC/Xbox/PS2-controllers-to-PC adapter that I got for a couple bucks years ago happens to support Xbox memory cards. Just upload the files to the card on the PC, you can use that for the softmod on the xbox.

Nice. How big was the file on the memory card? Or did you transfer it in chunks?

Raldoh

... but finding a drive that's compatible may prove challenging.

From my experience most usb sticks less or equal than 2 gb work pretty well, I have also had success using SD cards with USB adapters. It's a much cheaper and easier way than trying to hunt down those old xbox memory cards with the specific save files.

REDSLATE

From my experience most usb sticks less or equal than 2 gb work pretty well, I have also had success using SD cards with USB adapters. It's a much cheaper and easier way than trying to hunt down those old xbox memory cards with the specific save files.

I tried six or seven sticks all 2 GB and under (including a 512 MB Kingston) before finding an MP3 player that worked. Luck of the draw.

File size kept me from using an official memory card, but that's probably the way to go as it's standardized.

Nice. How big was the file on the memory card? Or did you transfer it in chunks?

You only actually need two files to install the softmod, one 5.3MB and the other very small, so it fit onto the memory card. I've only used it to play some Japanese import Xbox games I got, haven't tried to set up the xbox as some kind of media hub, link it to my pc via ethernet, or what have you.

Glowsquid

Random q: I own Ninja Gaiden Sigma and played it to near-completion, but I've periodically heard over the years Black is the superior version (don't remember much except complaints about the Rachel segments added to Sigma). Beside the removed puzzle elements (which I don,t care about) and the port of the arcade Ninja Gaiden (idem), is there anything that makes Black a more worthwhile package to someone who's not really into character action games?

----

I also got Battle Engine Aquila yesterday, and wow, this game is amazing! Unfortunately I found the hard way this is one of the 480p games bugged on 1.6 xboxes ;-;.

I suppose there's no known fix to this issue beside softmodding the console, eh

Booted up my Xbox today to play Breakdown. Found it yesterday for $9.99, not too shabby. Never forgot the first person vomit scene. I really wish I could get my softmod to force itself out of progressive scan mode though, it just won't play nice with my CRT. :/

Borman

Wow. Is that basically the same mod that was done for PGR2? Could something like that be done for any game (like RSC2 or Outrun 2) or is it only a small number of titles?

Edit: Never mind, I see you mentioned PGR2 in the description.

Some games make it more difficult, and of course some games would react better than others. Someone is figuring it out easier ways to do it.

koopas

Kameo also known as the greatest launch title for an Xbox console that no one ever talks about.

Cool video. Interesting to see the Kameo character model changed very little over the course up until launch

Just picked up Outun, and wow that game is great. Sad that, for the most part, console arcade racers are dead.

Also, I have had 3 copies of Mechssult, and none of them have worked on my machine. It's really annoying.

*edit because I can't spell

SparkTR

Nice, the black hole that is Xbox emulation might finally be filled soon. I've already ripped my GC and PS2 collection, Xbox is up next.

Borman

My understanding is right now they are going for accuracy and getting things to look and be as they should for a large majority of games. Following that, they can focus on speed.

Shaneus

My understanding is right now they are going for accuracy and getting things to look and be as they should for a large majority of games. Following that, they can focus on speed.
Yeah, that's what I figured as well, but I think some folk are missing that point and assuming it runs at speed as well as accuracy. I'm in the same boat, get accuracy then optimise for speed.

gelf

I'm just happy to see any emulation progress at all even if it still has a long way to go to be playable.
If they ever put footage of Panzer Dragoon Orta up I'll be a happy man.

Raldoh

Great to hear about the emulation progress. Looks pretty accurate too! Would be nice to finally being able to play Steel Battalion without having to spend a minor fortune on that beast of a controller.

Top Bottom