• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OK, all you dorks who claimed Equilibrium > Matrix needed to put the CRACK PIPE DOWN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
karasu said:
downloading kung fu into your brain, yeah right.

Wtf?
um

oh also every movie mentioned in this thread >>>>>>>>>>>>>>. returner

jesus christ what a pile of shit, damn!

effzee

karasu said:
downloading kung fu into your brain, yeah right.

Wtf?

it goes much better with the story then martial arts with guns. in the matrix they are plugged into a program in which u can manipulate ur skills.

karasu

effzee said:
it goes much better with the story then martial arts with guns. in the matrix they are plugged into a program in which u can manipulate ur skills.

dude martial arts has been mixed with guns since the 70's. The Matrix did it too. Unless it makes more sense to dodge a bullet with a cartwheel or a flip off of the wall(The Matrix) than it does by slightly shifting your body. That's a weak argument.

karasu said:
dude martial arts has been mixed with guns since the 70's. The Matrix did it too. Unless it makes more sense to dodge a bullet with a cartwheel or a flip off of the wall(The Matrix) than it does by slightly shifting your body. That's a weak argument.

Err... Bullets in Matrix = simulation. Bullets in Equilibrium = real.

I think too much internet borked your brain.

effzee

karasu said:

u dont get it. they are in the matrix. u can throw physics out the window. they are in a program, a game, that they can now manipulate. its part of the story. its part of the matrix.

im not saying martial arts with guns is new but it just wasnt as interesting to me as to others i guess. it was also less believable in the way it was presented.

i believe equilibrium could have been better if it had a better budget and more time to show the action and build things up.

Dead

well not really...yet
effzee said:
i believe equilibrium could have been better if it had a better budget and more time to show the action and build things up.
and a better plot too among many other things oh and more sean bean.

karasu

Shogmaster said:
Err... Bullets in Matrix = simulation. Bullets in Equilibrium = real.

I think too much internet borked your brain.

uh So? Did you not understand the movie or something? The bullets in The Matrix behaved like bullets in the real world. The fact that it was that theyw ere simulations didn't slow them down, nor did it speed Neo and Trinity up in that scene to the point that they were faster than a speeding bullet. The action scene followed the conventions of a million action scenes before it. The heroes don't get shot, they stick and move at all of the right moments. The same thing with Equilibrium, they just got a little more creative with it. Gun Kata isn't an original creation, it's just a gimmicky name (and a sound effect) they gave to what's always been done. At the end of the day it's just more Bullet Ballet. Batman dodges bullets all of the time, who the fuck cares?

nitewulf

i love it how ppl are downplaying gunkata as implausible...and then supporting the matrix.
thats just...funny...

right, a cord that hooks onto your spine and creates a link betwet your brain and "the matrix", while you sit in a pod and your skin sucks nutrition from...whats seems to be...jello...

of course, yeah, may be i am crazy...

karasu said:
uh So? Did you not understand the movie or something? The bullets in The Matrix behaved like bullets in the real world.

Apprently not. You can't stop bullets by holding up your hands to it in the real world AFAIK. But then again, maybe you can! Why don't you volunteer and see?

The fact that it was that theyw ere simulations didn't slow them down, nor did it speed Neo and Trinity up in that scene to the point that they were faster than a speeding bullet. The action scene followed the conventions of a million action scenes before it. The heroes don't get shot, they stick and move at all of the right moments. The same thing with Equilibrium, they just got a little more creative with it. Gun Kata isn't an original creation, it's just a gimmicky name (and a sound effect) they gave to what's always been done. At the end of the day it's just more Bullet Ballet. Batman dodges bullets all of the time, who the fuck cares?

Shit, I liked "gun kata" when Remo Williams did it back in the early 90's. :p I don't have problems with it as long as it's not too rediculous! Matrix has a nice backdoor to explain everything because all the crazy bullet dodging takes place inside of an imperfect giant world simulation. Equilibrium relies on low IQ points of the viewer to explain it's crappy story gimmicks like it's "gun kata".

effzee

nitewulf said:
i love it how ppl are downplaying gunkata as implausible...and then supporting the matrix.
thats just...funny...

right, a cord that hooks onto your spine and creates a link betwet your brain and "the matrix", while you sit in a pod and your skin sucks nutrition from...whats seems to be...jello...

of course, yeah, may be i am crazy...

its all sci fi. but the matrix takes place in a world within a world. a world in which YES u can be faster than a bullet and move like neo does. thats the whole premise.

equilibrium takes place in the real world, sometime in the future and for that basis its a lil bit less believable. i dont dislike the movie but i just dont see how it is better than the matrix, or for that matter even compared. there are not that man similarities that are not present also in other movies/books/shows about the future and the govt controlling people.

Dead

well not really...yet
karasu said:
exactly. like wtf? It's sci fi people.
I expect not to check my brain out at the door when watching a good science fiction movie and unfortunately thats exactly what Equilibrium requires. End of Story.

fakeedit:

Equilibrium relies on low IQ points of the viewer to explain it's crappy story gimmicks like it's "gun kata".
yep.

karasu

Shogmaster said:
Apprently not. You can't stop bullets by holding up your hands to it in the real world AFAIK. But then again, maybe you can! Why don't you volunteer as see?

Idiot. In the scene where he dodges bullets with cartwheels and Trinity did the same, he couldn't stop bullets by holding his hands out. There was no superpowered stuff going on in that scene. It was all general atheleticism. The "magic" happened afterwards. The scene I'm talking about was your general HK shootout type stuff. Same with Equilibrium. of course it's NOT REAL! That's the point. @_@

Shit, I liked "gun kata" when Remo Williams did it back in the early 90's. :p I don't have problems with it as long as it's not too rediculous! Matrix has a nice backdoor to explain everything because all the crazy bullet dodging takes place inside of an imperfect giant world simulation. Equilibrium relies on low IQ points of the viewer to explain it's crappy story gimmicks like it's "gun kata".

Only if you're gullible enough to fall for that garbage! Unless ALL movies where heroes dodge bullets have to take place inside computer simulations, stfu. You have no point. Wake up, the Matrix has you! You people havethe imaginations of dung beetles.

karasu said:
Idiot. In the scene where he dodges bullets with cartwheels and Trinity did the same, he couldn't stop bullets by holding his hands out. There was no superpowered stuff going on in that scene. It was all general atheleticism. The "magic" happened afterwards. The scene I'm talking about was your general HK shootout type stuff. Same with Equilibrium. of course it's NOT REAL! That's the point. @_@

Only if you're gullible enough to fall for that garbage! Unless ALL movies where heroes dodge bullets have to take place inside computer simulations, stfu. You have no point. Wake up, the Matrix has you! You people havethe imaginations of dung beetles.

Someone buy this poor boy some clues.....

karasu

You obviously haven't seen enough. Go watch Hard Boiled and tell me it doesn't make sense. In fact, do the same with Commando.

Dead

well not really...yet
Wolfy said:

I bet Spock created the Matrix.
nimoy-llap.jpg

karasu said:
You obviously haven't seen enough. Go watch Hard Boiled and tell me it doesn't make sense. In fact, do the same with Commando.

Jeez, why don't you bring the A-Team and G.I. Joes cartoons into this discussion while you're at it.....

nitewulf

gun kata is really no more "unbelievable" than croutching tiger, hidden dragon. if you had no problems with the martial arts there, you should have no problems with gun kata. the main character was a special operative, a master of the arts who had trained in it for years!
surely you didnt watch CTHD, and think, "heh...flying people...wily asians, what will they come up with next!"
gun kata was explained quite well, its based on probability, at least they tried to put a mathematical explanation behind their system.

karasu

Ok. I bet you hated Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon because they "flew" and didn't tell you how. I bet you hate Star Wars because no one bothered to explain the intricicies of the force to you. Girl hater. ;)

effzee

nitewulf said:
gun kata is really no more "unbelievable" than croutching tiger, hidden dragon. if you had no problems with the martial arts there, you should have no problems with gun kata. the main character was a special operative, a master of the arts who had trained in it for years!
surely you didnt watch CTHD, and think, "heh...flying people...wily asians, what will they come up with next!"
gun kata was explained quite well, its based on probability, at least they tried to put a mathematical explanation behind their system.

i dont know how those movies even come into this discussion. matrix and equilibrium have always been compared and i find people who hate to like the same thing all others do usually find a subsitute and in this case equilibrium. like all sci fi movies it asks her to forget some things for the sake of the movie and i agree. i liked the movie, not better than the matrix, but i did. i just didnt the action was up the snuff.

nitewulf

CTHD came up because it asked for a similar amount of suspension of disbelief. if you had no problems with the wire fu, you should have no problems with gun kata.

nitewulf said:
CTHD came up because it asked for a similar amount of suspension of disbelief. if you had no problems with the wire fu, you should have no problems with gun kata.

CTHD is a fantasy flick. Equilibrium is Sci-Fi flick. Ya? Ya.

DeadStar said:
oh also every movie mentioned in this thread >>>>>>>>>>>>>>. returner

oh man, Returner has the highest poster-to-movie quality ratio of any film ever made. The poster is SO AWESOME! The movie is SO NOT. It's like a film made by someone who's never watched anything but stupid SF their entire lives, and never left their basement either.

Dead

well not really...yet
JackFrost2012 said:
oh man, Returner has the highest poster-to-movie quality ratio of any film ever made. The poster is SO AWESOME! The movie is SO NOT. It's like a film made by someone who's never watched anything but stupid SF their entire lives, and never left their basement either.
man I actually bought this heap because it looked allright from the cover and figured what the hell. I need to manage my money a bit better methinks :(

nitewulf

Shogmaster said:
CTHD is a fantasy flick. Equilibrium is Sci-Fi flick. Ya? Ya.

you are kidding, right?
most pop science books and movies are nothing but fantasy w/ a bit of technology thrown in instead of magic.
you dont really think we can actually manufacture "plasma" guns or "lightsabers", right?

nitewulf said:
you are kidding, right?
most pop science books and movies are nothing but fantasy w/ a bit of technology thrown in instead of magic.
you dont really think we can actually manufacture "plasma" guns or "lightsabers", right?

I don't remember any plasma guns or lightsabers in Equilibrium. :p

Since people are bringing in more movies to the discussion, here's two more SciFi movies for ya...

Blade Runner >> Total Recall > *

From Blade Runner:
"Time to dieee."

From Total Recall:
"Get your ass to Mars."

The end. ;)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I cannot believe you people are arguing that one of these movies is more plausible than the other....

I prescribe psychotherapy for the entire thread.

Shog's first post especially with the title as it is should have been called out for being what it is... flamebait.

evil ways

Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions are dogshit, one is a dry, pasty pile of dogshit and the other is a steamy, fresh, pile of dogshit that gets easily smeared and messy.

christian-bale04.jpg

"I believe this news"

jett

D-Member
ROOFLES at the retards calling Equilibrium not realistic while at the same time defending Matrix's "realism".

CrunchyB

Trevelyon said:
I think Sean Bean is secretly black, his characters alway seem to be killed off early. :/

Yeah, what is it with Sean Bean? He always seems to play traitors that get killed off...

006 - Boromir - Equilibrium Agent

Alucard

Banned
Don't forget Bean's role in Patriot Games. He dies too! I seriously want to see Bean star as a leading man in a fucking badass action movie where HE DOESN'T DIE.

DarienA

Alucard said:
Don't forget Bean's role in Patriot Games. He dies too! I seriously want to see Bean star as a leading man in a fucking badass action movie where HE DOESN'T DIE.

He didn't die in Ronin.. he just got treated like a bitch. ;)

effzee

jett said:
ROOFLES at the retards calling Equilibrium not realistic while at the same time defending Matrix's "realism".

omg i cant believe people still dont get this. matrix's realism or lack thereof is excused by the fact its a sci fi movie and that it takes place in a comp program.

i did not say equilibrium isnt fake. all i implied was that the action was less satisying cause A. there is less action B. much of it is not seen, its cut very fast and edited so u dont see much and C. the final fight was not good in terms of payoff IMO.

im not taking away from equilibrium's premise or that it wasnt cool or good. just that if we are comparing the action, then the action of equilibrium is not as good as the matrix. and yes part of it does have to do with believability, which the matrix allows because it tells u its no the real world.

DarienA

effzee said:
im not taking away from equilibrium's premise or that it wasnt cool or good. just that if we are comparing the action, then the action of equilibrium is not as good as the matrix. and yes part of it does have to do with believability, which the matrix allows because it tells u its no the real world.

Hi, my name is opinion... I'm unique to everyone.....

You act like in Equlibrium anybody can just pick up a gun and do Gun Kata when the (admittedly slowly told story) makes a point of telling you that the Cleric is at the top of the food chain, receives the highest training, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom