• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Success (so far).

Been messaging back and forth with a girl for ~a week now. Just set up a coffee date for sometime next week (date to be determined once I found out my work schedule). Shes actually the one that asked me out for coffee (I was going to ask her in my next message so it worked out well hahaha), so that was a nice confidence boost. Shes really cute, and while we don't share a ton of interests, we still share a handful and are really close personality wise (93% match, 92% friend, 0% enemy). Wondering if I should ask for her number now, or wait until the date if it goes well. I'm leaning towards the latter, since she seems like the type to want to see where things are going first.

Not bad for only a week and a half on the site.

Now off to dating-age, since I'm nervous as fuck.
Get her number now. Don't wait until after the coffee date. Just ask her in a nice way and say something like, "Would you mind if I got your number in case I need to get a hold of you before we meet up?" It's never failed me. Also, this way you can now start to text/flirt with her before meeting as well. But keep them short and sweet, don't get into long conversations. Or if you're not comfortable with doing that right away, you can at least just text her something like, "Leaving now, be there in 15" or whatever on the day you're actually going to meet up. It's an easy ice breaker.

Ok so on OKC, I found a high school classmate that I never talked to and was one of the cool, popular girls. Then I found someone who's actually in one of my classes right now. I have no interest in either but I'm kinda surprised.

Also I found out that the girl I'm currently messaging is a friend of one of my best friend's ex-gf. Small world. And in doing so I stumbled across her Facebook... Ugh bad idea, I don't find her nearly as interesting.

I think I'm starting to realize how much I don't like the idea of online dating. Everything kinda feels forced. Sending messages just to stand out and not sound creepy, meeting up with people for the first time and already having an idea of who they are due to their profile... Its weird. Props to those who hit it and quit it. Im outta here (okc).

Shouta

I've had an Okcupid account for awhile but no luck at all. I haven't put too much effort into it though so it's to be expected.

God...

Why would you do that?

edit: And what's even more warped is that she shows photos of herself as a kid doing gymnastics and right next to that photo is her getting hooked at the knees like a piece of meat...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
God...

Why would you do that?

edit: And what's even more warped is that she shows photos of herself as a kid doing gymnastics and right next to that photo is her getting hooked at the knees like a piece of meat...

I don't know :(

I know it's shit at the moment, but would someone mind taking a look at my profile and giving me some tips?

Please don't quote the link, since I'll want to edit it out in the near future.

Hey Xun, this should boost your confidence:
i2km59wL00po8.png

It's a site in which you can see your attractiveness rating:
http://projects.heyimalex.com/okmirror/

noah111

Still Alive
Yeah, i'm 'between 8204 and 8282' whatever that even means. All I see is five stars, how do they calculate that, anyway?

Nos_G

Hey Xun, I was totally not creeping on your profile... do not be alarmed if I show up on your visitor list. lol.

Atramental, you may want to edit out his profile since he asked you not to quote it.

I know it's shit at the moment, but would someone mind taking a look at my profile and giving me some tips?

Please don't quote the link, since I'll want to edit it out in the near future.

Your profile is fine. Could use a little more details. What makes you different from all the other artsy people out there?

What is with all these stars?

Also, if a girl is a fan of Atlas Shrugged, is that a bad sign?

It feels like a bad sign.

Oh God, some of these girls are in high school.

That makes me feel creepy.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

Theres was a pretty good xkcd just the other day about that very topic -

jAAVv.png

The mousover text -
I had a hard time with Ayn Rand because I found myself enthusiastically agreeing with the first 90% of every sentence, but getting lost at ‘therefore, be a huge asshole to everyone.’

My greatest enemy in all of the world according to OKC is a 23 year old American man who thinks the earth is larger than the sun.

I also apparently found the love of my life according to OKC, it's too bad I'm not looking for a relationship.

Also a woman whose username is essentially 'Hotforteacher' who is a teacher, teaching the 8th grade.

I wonder if she'll appear in a GAF thread any time soon.

I'm just hitting random cities now.

Portland sucks!

brian

Theres was a pretty good xkcd just the other day about that very topic -

jAAVv.png

The mousover text -
I had a hard time with Ayn Rand because I found myself enthusiastically agreeing with the first 90% of every sentence, but getting lost at ‘therefore, be a huge asshole to everyone.’

I just laughed really hard at the comic.

I'm kind of glad my username doesn't show up when I try to find it in that rating site. That's one of those things that might be best not to know.

Texting is what passes for realistic interaction? It's one thing if I'm texting someone I've already met in person, but I feel like I've been "texting" this whole time. I don't send dating site form letters, I try to have conversations and get to know someone well enough to see if they would be someone I'd like to go out with. I don't really see how taking it from OKC messages to text messages ia an escalation of any kind. In fact, it's more of a downgrade to me because I have an old T9 flip phone that makes it difficult to communicate via text.
Building attraction to another isn't based on logic. People usually like getting texts throughout their day from people they're interested in. It makes them smile. Make her smile.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Oh God, some of these girls are in high school.

That makes me feel creepy.

I saw an attractive enough girl who stated that she worked for one of those Protect Marriage groups "To protect marriage from Homosexual Activists". Her profile is of her showing off her breasts.

That shit made me lol

Also one guys profile made me laugh the most after I saw it on SA one time. It has to be an elaborate troll. I'll try and post it when I get home if anyone wants to see it.

I deactivated my profile a couple of months ago as I've been far too busy to date right now. I'm thinking about jumping back in sometime next month after I satiated my unhealthy Diablo III addiction. I'm thinking I'm going to create a new profile though instead of just reopening my old one - it was starting to get stale at the end there, I would get 3 or so dates a week when I first started but a year later I was down to maybe 4 per month.

I never looked at what my rating was (it never worked for me) but I'd probably be higher than what I was if I started anew with more recent photos. Plus I'm debating trimming my beard to mere stubble within the next couple days which will be a big change for me anyways (haven't shaven it off in 10 years, since I grew it in High School).

Zomba13

Just had a look back on there. I'm pretty sure I've gone through an messaged every one in my area I think I'd go out with. I'm just getting profiles that seem like troll ones, people who aren't my type or people whose interests are way to different from mine that we'd have nothing to talk about.
It was going well for a bit too =/

No responses from the ladies I prefer, but first msgs from ladies who are meeeeeeeh :(
That's a reason why I quit. It's harder to make an impression online than in person. I feel girls online are too judgmental. They certainly have the right to be but damn... Are you seriously going to avoid me after just 5 min of discussion on skype? =p

Xun

Hey Xun, this should boost your confidence:
i2km59wL00po8.png
Not bad.

It's a site in which you can see your attractiveness rating:
http://projects.heyimalex.com/okmirror/
Gone up a star since a month ago, but I'm just not sure what I did differently. :p

Hey Xun, I was totally not creeping on your profile... do not be alarmed if I show up on your visitor list. lol.

Atramental, you may want to edit out his profile since he asked you not to quote it.
Ha, not a problem.

I've had an influx of guys looking at the page for obvious reasons.

Your profile is fine. Could use a little more details. What makes you different from all the other artsy people out there?
Very true.

I'll flesh it out tomorrow.

Also although I'm putting a bit of effort into OkCupid, I'm trying to focus my attention IRL.

It's just much harder outside of college, so I just don't know where best to meet new people. People who are my age (22) or younger (18).

I don't really want anything serious out of a relationship just yet, and I feel my options are closing up on me.

Shit sucks.

Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom