• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think one thing everyone should always keep in mind with OKCupid, is that if the girl is interested in you, she will find ways to meet and talk with you.

If she flakes on a date for a small reason, and can't seem to find the time to meet up, it's because she's not interested, not because she's legitimately busy. If she hasn't replied to your text in long stretches of time, it's the same thing.

People who are interested in other people will show interest.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I think one thing everyone should always keep in mind with OKCupid, is that if the girl is interested in you, she will find ways to meet and talk with you.

If she flakes on a date for a small reason, and can't seem to find the time to meet up, it's because she's not interested, not because she's legitimately busy. If she hasn't replied to your text in long stretches of time, it's the same thing.

I can definitely vouch for this bit of advice. No matter how hard you try to come up with excuses in your mind about why the girl isn't getting back to you, just go with your gut. If you're the one who has to start the conversation via text/calling/messaging 95% of the time, the girl is not interested in you. Sure, you might get a few dates out of it, but I'd be shocked if it goes beyond anything but that.

Not fully true. She could also be interested but not as much as she is in someone else she's recently met. I blow off good matches all the time just because the timing is bad.

But in the end, the advice to use from this is not to take every rejection personally. There could be all sorts of reasons behind anything. I often see dudes getting really bummed out on the Internet over this shit when it's probably not as personal as they're taking it. In most of the big cities, a desirable girl's got a lot of options.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I gotta know Devolution, how many crazy-ass messages do you get in a week? I'm always fascinated by lopsided-ness of the okcupid thing as far as gender goes.

I gotta know Devolution, how many crazy-ass messages do you get in a week? I'm always fascinated by lopsided-ness of the okcupid thing as far as gender goes.

Not many actually. I would get more if my profile didn't say in a relationship. The shit I've seen other women get though, that gets reported? Holy shit. And since I owe gaf one here you go, I have yet to see anything top it since:

7pEB2.jpg

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
"Please trust me when I say this...in the hands of your hair stylist I can make any woman scream for me."

So, if I said this exact thing in my messages to ladies, do I have a problem?

bluemax

Banned
Have any of you ever found any of your friends in real life on there?

I saw a girl I knew from kickball on there. A girl I had met at a party and I've also messaged two girls who are in my kickball league this season, including one on my team.

Not many actually. I would get more if my profile didn't say in a relationship. The shit I've seen other women get though, that gets reported? Holy shit. And since I owe gaf one here you go, I have yet to see anything top it since:

7pEB2.jpg

Hahahaha, holy shit, that is insane.

And the girl in high school had age 19 in her profile. But still, high school, that's just weird.

ZeroRay

Yeesh, Dev.

Ok figured it out. Was the guy from Richardson? If so, he's the guy who runs the OkMirror and OkCreeper websites and and all the traffic is routed through his account.

Yup. He told me so himself a few hours ago. Kind of feel bad for him though, I bet he gets a lot of messages like that.

K701

Banned
Just got an email from OK cupid saying Canada and USA were the countries with the worst matches for me, and the Philippines and Romania the ones with the best....

noah111

Still Alive
The fuck is this? Can't be right...

WBR6N.png

Either means that i'm super weird or that the general OKC user base is (which is what the personality tab seems to be based off of). Do you all find these results to be in any way accurate?

That's a reason why I quit. It's harder to make an impression online than in person. I feel girls online are too judgmental. They certainly have the right to be but damn... Are you seriously going to avoid me after just 5 min of discussion on skype? =p

I know right.

It's true, the thing is I'm only really using OKC at the moment due to work and study commitments making me less likely to go out.

But when I do go out, it's fine, I meet women, draw for the digits and progress from there. I think OKC gives women, like you put, a lot of choice. So they can be completely dismissive of you even of you're a standup guy

But I'm not too bummed out with the site yet. When my calendar clears up at the end of the year I'll probably leave

I've sent like 40 messages to people and have only gotten five replies.

There's not a ton of stimulating conversation as of yet. Two out of the five were pretty awesome, but they stopped talking to me and now I'm sad.

Lucario

WBR6N.png

Either means that i'm super weird or that the general OKC user base is (which is what the personality tab seems to be based off of). Do you all find these results to be in any way accurate?

Those are exactly as accurate as "which twilight character are you" quizzes. It's bullshit psuedoscience, as are the match ratings, and you should just ignore them.

(For the record, it claims I'm only ~50% kinkier than the average gay man D:< And I'm as aggressive as I could possibly be. Clearly I'm an incredibly angry, kinky submissive who's always drunk and getting into fights.)

Sarye

Ok, I've updated my profile. I think before it was just too silly, and not at all enticing, but this time, I think I really hit the sweet spot:

What do you guys think?

Are you actually serious about online dating or are you just having fun? My reply will be dependent on that.

http://i.imgur.com/WBR6N.png

It's based upon the user base of OKCupid so I wouldn't put much stock on it. For example, it would put me as "not sexual" just because I wouldn't sleep with someone on the first date.

Are you actually serious about online dating or are you just having fun? My reply will be dependent on that.

Give me both replies, on whether it's for real or for fun and I'll let you know.

Well, I'm not actually looking for dates, sex, or a relationship if that's what you're asking. I'm just having fun.

New friendships or people to talk to, that's cool with me.

Frankly right now, I'm just trying to work up the nerve to talk to the girl who works at the ice cream shop.

Sarye

Well, I'm not actually looking for dates, sex, or a relationship if that's what you're asking. I'm just having fun.

New friendships or people to talk to, that's cool with me.

Frankly right now, I'm just trying to work up the nerve to talk to the girl who works at the ice cream shop.

Then your profile is pretty hilarious and I enjoyed it. As for your spoiler, just do it! I find that the anticipation is worse than the actual action. Just talk to her normally and see where the conversation goes. If she seems engaged and interested then ask for the number at the end. If not, then wish her a great day and go about your business.

Edit: just saw your edit. If you were actually serious in trying to find dates online I would say that you are wayyyy too honest about yourself. People treat online dating differently than meeting people in person. People are more picky and selective so you have to be more careful about what you actually put up. A quick example that I see on your profile, You put up an annual income of < $20,000. Granted you're a student so it makes sense why your income is like that but why put a number down at all? If you don't put down an income, they can still infer that you don't make much since you're a student but it's more subtle and women are less likely to see it as a negative.

The last thing I'll say is that you have a lot of information about yourself. I found more success being vague and writing only a few things that I find are interesting about me. I rather get to know someone through what they tell me, not what I read. I view OKCupid as another tool to meet women so I quickly take the conversations off of OKCupid if I find a girl that is of interest.

There's a buttload more I can say but I'll just leave it at that for now.

BobLoblaw

Banned

WBR6N.png

That thing's kinda fucking stupid. Mine was changing far too much, so what I started to do was answer a question and then see what changed. I answered one question about allowing people to grow their own weed for personal use. I answered no, and it immediately gave me this big ass blue bar saying I was less progressive. I changed the answered and the whole blue bar disappeared. It's screwed up.

Then your profile is pretty hilarious and I enjoyed it. As for your spoiler, just do it! I find that the anticipation is worse than the actual action. Just talk to her normally and see where the conversation goes. If she seems engaged and interested then ask for the number at the end. If not, then wish her a great day and go about your business.

Edit: just saw your edit. If you were actually serious in trying to find dates online I would say that you are wayyyy too honest about yourself. People treat online dating differently than meeting people in person. People are more picky and selective so you have to be more careful about what you actually put up. A quick example that I see on your profile, You put up an annual income of < $20,000. Granted you're a student so it makes sense why your income is like that but why put a number down at all? If you don't put down an income, they can still infer that you don't make much since you're a student but it's more subtle and women are less likely to see it as a negative.

The last thing I'll say is that you have a lot of information about yourself. I found more success being vague and writing only a few things that I find are interesting about me. I rather get to know someone through what they tell me, not what I read. I view OKCupid as another tool to meet women so I quickly take the conversations off of OKCupid if I find a girl that is of interest.

There's a buttload more I can say but I'll just leave it at that for now.

So I need to be more mysterious and vague. Hm... I'm sure I can do that, like a mysterious figure in the London fog.

Just less Jack the Ripper ish.

Darklord

Banned
When you first contact people, what's best? Short and sweet like starting a conversation in real life or an introduction? I've been trying short and sweet recently to see if it would be any different. Like for example I saw a girl who loved the same music I did and said(paraphrasing) "You have great taste in music! X and Y are some of my favorite bands. Which albums do you like? I can't stop listening to A and B" and that's all rather than anything too big or detailed.

This girl is HOT, probably the sexiest I've seen. But it's like her boobies are HUGE in the first few pictures, then disappear after

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/daehkcid

Push-up bra vs no push-up bra? Or post-boob job vs pre-boob job? And yeah, she is hot which mean she probably get 9 million messages. Worth a shot though.

When you first contact people, what's best? Short and sweet like starting a conversation in real life or an introduction? I've been trying short and sweet recently to see if it would be any different. Like for example I saw a girl who loved the same music I did and said(paraphrasing) "You have great taste in music! X and Y are some of my favorite bands. Which albums do you like? I can't stop listening to A and B".

Push-up bra vs no push-up bra? Or post-boob job vs pre-boob job? And yeah, she is hot which mean she probably get 9 million messages. Worth a shot though.

I tend to lean towards the "What the fuck are you talking about" type of message.

Just out of the blue. Like... "I am trapped in a time loop, please help". Send that message a couple of times.

I've sent like 40 messages to people and have only gotten five replies.

There's not a ton of stimulating conversation as of yet. Two out of the five were pretty awesome, but they stopped talking to me and now I'm sad.

This is pretty much me. Only I didn't want to give up so I got up to about 80 messages, lowering my standards every time...still with only five replies, and even the ones who seemed totally into me stopped talking to me. Probably met some nutter, because we all know that's what girls are into, right? /sarcasm

Nizz

7pEB2.jpg
Ho-ly shit! Poor girl, that's one crazy message.

When you first contact people, what's best? Short and sweet like starting a conversation in real life or an introduction? I've been trying short and sweet recently to see if it would be any different. Like for example I saw a girl who loved the same music I did and said(paraphrasing) "You have great taste in music! X and Y are some of my favorite bands. Which albums do you like? I can't stop listening to A and B" and that's all rather than anything too big or detailed.

Keep it short. The real message is "hey I find you interesting, check out my profile and let me know if it's mutual".

In the rare instance that I get a reply back, it's usually one line, in which case I figure they're just being polite and stop replying. My profile is chock-full of interesting tidbits and if none of them get brought up then we're done here.

7pEB2.jpg

My favorite part of all my favorite parts is "wet eyes".

70% of the messages I receive look like this:

Untitled-1.png

My favorite part was "You like Harry Potter? Let's be boyfriend-girlfriend!".

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

http://i.imgur.com/7pEB2.jpg
You have a dance video?

57 questions makes me think he's trolling you. 57, I mean really?
hey so we are both like harry potter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom