• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Olympic Games 2024 Paris Opening Ceremony Features Assassin's Creed Tribute

Draugoth

Gold Member
During the start of the Opening Ceremony, the character "stole" the torch from a group of children and as the ceremony unfolded, the broadcast continued to cut back to the person as they jumped and executed stylish parkour moves across Paris' skyline and through iconic landmarks.

The figure, masked with what looks like a fencer's cage and hooded with a white cloak, is wearing a dark-colored vest and flowing garments. The acrobatic performance, as well as the unique look, bring to mind the iconic characters from the popular Ubisoft video game series "Assassin's Creed." One of the games, "Assassin's Creed Unity," is set in revolution-era France, and features an assassin dressed similarly to the torch runner helping topple tyrants across Paris.

GTY-2163819109.jpg

GTbqgYXaAAAHmfF
ba094eb0-6af3-4f20-9aa2-7bc72ac9255f_1920x1080.jpg

DAHGAMING

Brothers I love the Olympics, im a football fanatic at heart, support the Arsenal and dedicate so much time to them since I was a kid, love boxing and F1 as a 2nd and 3rd to Footie. Always watched the Olympics aswell, take intrest in sports that are not normaly my thing and just nice to watch casualy, normaly spot a future boxing superstar or 2 along the way aswell. I worked security at the 2012 Olympics, I wasnt based at any stadiums just shity West Ham bus depot scanning the stank coaches and drivers that would move the athletes about the manor. Was a great few months and was great to be apart of it.

I dont know if its me but there seems to be 0 hype for this Olympics sadly, I know 2012 being in London it was hypped to fuck, but theres still normaly quite alot of hype over here no matter where it is.

Fuck it anyway, 3 weeks till the footie kicks off, I will get involved with this and hopefully it will pick up as we go.

CamHostage

Ubisoft helped restore Notre Dame, and is the most prominent and successful gaming company in France (of which there's a surprising number of compatriots, so it's good that videogames were specifically recognized as a French cultural contribution even though Ubi games are way less "Frenchy" than in the Rayman days.) I'm glad Assassin's Creed is represented.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
It was one of the only kino bits, along with the horse on the Seine.

The rest... I mean Celine was fantastic, but she ain't Feench.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
I just watched the elden ring horse, electronic boat and Celine dion...on tweeter they are showing some weird shit. I'm confused

DelireMan7

It was officially a reference to the Phantom of the Opera.

But for sure it was a node to Assassin's creed indeed.

The ceremony was interesting. Some high and big lows. As a French, I find that they showcase a lot of the French culture and mindset.
The idea of showing a love triangle in the library by showing famous book about the subject and then leading to a threesome was so French 😆

But some parts felt really low and bad.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Gojira was pretty sick tho.
That was cool as hell.

Then they went right into some pre-recorded bisexual love triangle drama thing that we skipped over because we didn’t want our kids watching that shit (and didn’t want to see it ourselves either).

Actually I should’ve just turned it off after that. We waited for the US to come out, at which time they cut to some corny pre-recorded Beyoncé video before showing like 5 seconds of live footage of the US Olympic team.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
During the start of the Opening Ceremony, the character "stole" the torch from a group of children and as the ceremony unfolded, the broadcast continued to cut back to the person as they jumped and executed stylish parkour moves across Paris' skyline and through iconic landmarks.

The figure, masked with what looks like a fencer's cage and hooded with a white cloak, is wearing a dark-colored vest and flowing garments. The acrobatic performance, as well as the unique look, bring to mind the iconic characters from the popular Ubisoft video game series "Assassin's Creed." One of the games, "Assassin's Creed Unity," is set in revolution-era France, and features an assassin dressed similarly to the torch runner helping topple tyrants across Paris.

GTY-2163819109.jpg

GTbqgYXaAAAHmfF
ba094eb0-6af3-4f20-9aa2-7bc72ac9255f_1920x1080.jpg

Guacatelas Assassins creed.

Tams

Gold Member
Oh, it was.

APTOPIX_Paris_Olympics_Opening_Ceremony_80383-1880x1254.jpg

Lol. Imagine getting that invite and all you get to see while soaked is:
  • The French armed forces hoist the flag upside down.
  • Boring people give boring speeches. Thank you sponsors!
  • Zizou take the torch from Ezio and then pass it to Rafa.
  • Some sign language dancers try to fill time.
  • A laser light show of the Eiffel Tower from the worst seats.
  • Celine Dion.

Top Bottom