• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One big plus for consoles is privacy.

cireza

Gold Member
If you hack Sony, you’re going to get extremely basic data about me which so many other entities have and which isn’t exciting.

If you hack my computer, there is infinitely more information on there. Investment data, medical records, private conversations, etc.

With my computer you could impersonate me. With my PlayStation you couldn’t.
Bro, I had some guy I never heard about use my credit card to buy shit because of the 2011 Sony data breach.

If you want privacy, never go online. Otherwise, just forget about it.

Quasicat

There a store close to my house that sells pre-paid PlayStation cards, it just much better option for me.
I like how you say that! I do the prepaid thing because I get fuel rewards at my local gas station/grocery store for each gift card I purchase. It adds up quickly and helps me stay on a budget.

one of the good thing about console is less cheaters, DRM and launcher crap
there isn't less cheaters, there is about the same amount. also there are drm free options like gog and it doesn't have to be drm stores like steam,etc. consoles have more drm than ever these days with requiring internet for games like gran turismo 7 or patches that fix critical issues. also ps5 drive requiring an internet connection, xbox series requires internet to even setup at first,etc

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
there isn't less cheaters, there is about the same amount. also there are drm free options like gog and it doesn't have to be drm stores like steam,etc. consoles have more drm than ever these days with requiring internet for games like gran turismo 7 or patches that fix critical issues. also ps5 drive requiring an internet connection, xbox series requires internet to even setup at first,etc
There are always way more cheaters on pc compared to console . Even games like monster hunter world has cheaters on pc even though it's not common.

Gt7 is a special case that's why people like me did not buy the game . Some games has always online drm on pc but not on console , and the devs only patch it out later .

Ps5 drive require internet first time only to install the game , but that's the same as using internet to install games on steam no ? Iirc you can still access games on PlayStation offline but not for xbox but i could be wrong.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

You can't disable all telemetry on the consoles (or see what data is being shared) and considering how systems were hacked in the past (especially Sony's) it's not safe to provide personal data. At least you can use prepaid cards and that way stay more or less anonymous.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Depends on a lot of factors and what exactly you're trying to keep safe. A console is essentially a dedicated gaming machine and by default will grant more privacy than a PC since its not used for much else, however its not that much different from keeping a PC exclusively for gaming.

Another factor is that you're likely still inserting critical data on your console such as credit card information, so its not really that secure. In the end it still depends how you handle your data security.

This. Just use a separate machine.

Top Bottom