• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Finger Death Punch |OT| One finger. Two buttons. DEATH! PUNCHES!

One Finger Death Punch is available for 80 Microsoft Points/$1/£399.99 on the Xbox LIVE Marketplace right this very second.

There's a trailer HERE. I suggest you watch it. On mute, probably.

ofdp-(2).jpg

ofdp-(1).jpg

So what the bloody hell is it? Well, it's a game in which you attack left by pressing X, and attack right by pressing B. That's it. You can't move, and enemies just come at you from both sides. When they get within range, you press a button to fuck them up.

There's a lot of fucking up of people.

It sounds pathetic, right? Two buttons? That's how they messed Rock Band Blitz up! Except here, it's pretty damn incredible. There are two reasons why the game is so impressive.

The first is how every single press of a button works 1:1 with the action on screen, and so when you press something, you FEEL something. I know it sounds like that's just how a videogame should work, but it's different. It feels elegant, almost.

The second thing is just how much variety there is in those two buttons. There are enemies that require multiple hits, enemies that jump from side to side, boss fights, weapons that alter your range, and it's all fast as hell (and gets faster depending on your skill) and let me tell you something, perfecting a really fast, hard stream of enemies makes you feel fucking AWESOME.

There's also an endless survival mode if you really want to test your skills.

This game won Dream.Build.Play for a reason.

ofdp-(4).jpg

There's a fair bit to be desired with the presentation, but the actual animation (such as it is) fits amazingly. I dare you to play this game without a huge smile on your face. I dare you. I DOUBLE DARE YOU.

It's a dollar, I said that, right? Remember back in the olden days all the fun you could have with a dollar? Relive those days, your dollar will provide much fun!

Pejo

That looks sweet as hell. I'm not hooking my 360 back up for it, but if it comes to Steam or Android, i'm all over it.

A lot of fun for a dollar game. Also, pretty clever for just a two-button design as attack ranges get to push out depending on performance and weapon pickups. The best XBLIG game in some time and a nice simpler take on BEU concepts.

Dipswitch

Does it look fun? Yeah. Will I play it? Maybe, but probably not.

But it's $1. And I like supporting independent development. So it's bought. Just call me Mr. Generous.

Really disappointing that more people haven't tried this. The demo is free, most of the people on NeoGAF have access to XBLIGs, and this thread has eleven posts.

Mista Koo

Just played the demo, so freaking badass. Best action game I've seen in the last few years.
I'd totally kickstart a version with decent graphics.

Mike M

Nick N
I bought it, though some of the mechanics regarding what triggers Power Smashes or cinematic kills seem a little opaque. Ridiculous fun regardless.

9/10 on Eurogamer this morning, to add to the 9/10 in GamesTM and the 8/10 in Edge, which are basically the UK's three most respected videogame coverers.

And yet still nobody on NeoGAF gives a shit about this excellent game. I honestly don't get it. I mean, everyone here claims they love indie games and that indie games are the future or whatever, they clamour over the PS4 because it's so indie-focussed. Then a genuine indie game made by a couple of brothers comes along, costs $1 or 69p, gets universally praised by the games press and anyone that has played it, and next to nobody on GAF even tries the free demo to see how brilliant it is.

Is there such a thing as too indie? Do the developers maybe need to call Phil Fish a cunt or something so they get on Kotaku for a bit? Would GAF be interested then? I genuinely can't work it out.

Ah well, it's you guys missing out, I guess, game is pure fun. Ask anyone that tried it.

bronk

Banned
This game is fantastic. I bought it on cover art alone through XLIG. It plays very well. I also bought Mount Your Friends same day. Both games are manly! Haha

Sorry to bump, but I just discovered this game. Its so fucking good. Well worth the dollar.

I seriously recommend people to try the demo.

One Finger Death Punch is pure, unadulterated gaming joy distilled down to 2 buttons that belie a much deeper tactical depth. The flow and response of the game feels perfect. Any mistakes you make are your own fault and it gets brutal while still retaining fairness. Pick up and play with slightly randomized 60+ second levels or a go as long as you can in survival mode.

Consider me flummoxed that this game doesn't have more love than it does.

On the PC side, the demo is expansive and the game, for 2$, has left me smiling and trying to evangelize the game to my friends.

I can't offer enough superlatives for this gaming experience and urge everyone to, at a bare minimum, give the demo a shot.

Glorious work that is well worth your time and attention.

Huma

Neo Member
This game is downright AMAZING.

Really, it's some of the best fun I've had with a game in years. And such a simple concept. It's like they used a puzzle/rhythm game template to build the closest martial arts experience we've seen in the medium so far. Brilliant.

I eagerly await the Steam re-release with improved assets and other updates.

Check it out on Greenlight and upvote it.

Out on Steam AND in the Top Sellers list
http://store.steampowered.com/app/264200/
Great to see this game getting the attention it deserves

I don't know what the general consensus on Total Biscuit is here, but he absolutely loved the game. His video is practically 12 minutes of praise. I think he said it best
Don't dismiss it because of its graphics style. Don't dismiss it because it looks like a web game. Play it because it is satisfying and visceral and responsive and skillful and fun to watch and just layered with cool level variety and all sorts of great enemy gimmicks and just pure kung fu experience. Play it for those reasons.

Tizoc

I started this today for Playfire rewards (assuming their database actually manages to credit me the funds this time) and I was hooked for near an hour!
The 100+ enemies stages are a bit too much for me but otherwise this game is all kinds of fucking awesome.
The simplistic graphics just WORK, they may be stick men but they bring out the immersive and total brutality of power kung fu attacks.

I do have one question though:
Say I have the mace weapon and there are no enemies on the left that I can see BUT the game has it's bar lighting up, if I attack in that direction will I get a miss or will it actually hit an enemy?

I always forget the final nunchaku enemy is a qte enemy =P

I bought this game a while back when it was on xbox live arcade. I would like to have this on my android phone. Would spend a couple hours total playing this at work.

Top Bottom