• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

Odd question, but do you guys think Oda has ever finished anything in his life? Like, he started writing One piece right out of high school, and I seriously doubt he has the time to work on anything else. It's just weird to think of Oda as an oldish master of his craft that is widely regarded as the best in his field, and yet we have no idea how he writes a 3rd act.

LotusHD

Banned
I sort of lied. It's a compendium of Color Walk 1-3.

Works for me since I don't own 1 or 2 though.

You... lied?

75qB2eu.png

Odd question, but do you guys think Oda has ever finished anything in his life? Like, he started writing One piece right out of high school, and I seriously doubt he has the time to work on anything else. It's just weird to think of Oda as an oldish master of his craft that is widely regarded as the best in his field, and yet we have no idea how he writes a 3rd act.

Manga is such a ruthless and demanding industry that a good chunk of the people who do it can only hope to pour everything they have into a singular work and not let go. In those circumstances, you can't necessarily judge it in the same way you would a conventional work.

If you want to get technical, every arc in One Piece is a completed story. It's all in service of an even larger narrative, but every arc starts with its own unique desire, has peaks and valleys, and culminates in a final end point. I think we have multiple examples of Oda writing a third act.

Manga is such a ruthless and demanding industry that a good chunk of the people who do it can only hope to pour everything they have into a singular work and not let go. In those circumstances, you can't necessarily judge it in the same way you would a conventional work.

If you want to get technical, every arc in One Piece is a completed story. It's all in service of an even larger narrative, but every arc starts with its own unique desire, has peaks and valleys, and culminates in a final end point. I think we have multiple examples of Oda writing a third act.

I definitely agree with this, and I would even argue that every picture or painting in one piece is a work all there own (Especially the color spreads). It's just that I was talking with a friend about the end of one piece, and we were talking about how dark the series was prepared to get. He was sure that character death wasn't Oda's style, but in a way nothing is apart of Odas style until it happens in One Piece. Like, he just might really like a dark ending to his stories. idk I've spent all day thinking about this and its hard to put to words.

I think you can reliably say by this point that One Piece isn't going to go dark, because it just doesn't follow the themes that it's expressed so far. We know that One Piece is ultimately an idealistic series, although it's garnished with just a bit of cynicism to keep it grounded. A dark ending wouldn't fit this story.

I think you can reliably say by this point that One Piece isn't going to go dark, because it just doesn't follow the themes that it's expressed so far. We know that One Piece is ultimately an idealistic series, although it's garnished with just a bit of cynicism to keep it grounded. A dark ending wouldn't fit this story.
Y'know what, I just realized that I'm probably thinking about this because I recently finished Hunter X Hunter. One Piece having an equivalent to the chimera ant arc is pretty outlandish now that I think about it. Maybe "dark" isn't the right word. Big Mom's backstory is plenty "Dark". What I mean is, going into the final arc's might have a tone shift that's harsher than I'm expecting. Again hard to put to words.

LotusHD

Banned
Y'know what, I just realized that I'm probably thinking about this because I recently finished Hunter X Hunter. One Piece having an equivalent to the chimera ant arc is pretty outlandish now that I think about it. Maybe "dark" isn't the right word. Big Mom's backstory is plenty "Dark". What I mean is, going into the final arc's might have a tone shift that's harsher than I'm expecting. Again hard to put to words.

Sounds like you just did though, no?

Sounds like you just did though, no?

I guess? The Big Mom arc is probably going to end without luffy punching the big bad in the face and saving the day. Only other arc like that was the lead up to the paramount war. So I guess now I'm expecting something like that now.

Azure J

Reading 881 right now. Jinbe is the coolest fucking dude I swear to God. Can we just fast forward to the chapter called "The 10th" now?

Luffy continuing to be an absolute treasure of a protagonist. Also shout outs to that one panel making him look like Ace for a quick second.

LotusHD

Banned
No did they say that too? Cuz bravo to them if so lol

Wait there's a new stream

Just saw him doing some live stream with some random guy I don't know like a few hours ago. They were taking questions or something, one of which was: "What Straw Hat do you think would be the one to die, and what Straw Hat would you choose to have die?"

Roger heard Chopper from someone (Honestly I wasn't paying that much attention before dipping), and he just freaked out lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Reading 881 right now. Jinbe is the coolest fucking dude I swear to God. Can we just fast forward to the chapter called "The 10th" now?

Luffy continuing to be an absolute treasure of a protagonist. Also shout outs to that one panel making him look like Ace for a quick second.

So you want to skip ahead to Carrot joining? Alright.

I’m ok with this carrot time

Ray Down

Banned
Still think CC gonna be captured and exploited by the government now.

Though would he be brought in under Satazuki watch or under the CP0/World Nobles?

Ray Down

Banned
Whichever is closest to Vegapunk?

That be the government but I imagine he much prefer the World nobles, since they would probably give CC all the money and control he wants without much interference or throwing in morality. That and he wouldn't be under Vegapunk.

Vegapunk seems to have a heart not stopping to the levels CC has done and even granting Kuma the power to fulfil his final wish/will when completing his transformation.

It will be interesting to see the dichotomy between the two besides the brief stuff we seen from CC perspective.

Y'all.

Carrot is the 11th. :p

Fake Edit: I actually forgot if the crew member numbers are based after Luffy as 1 or if they're numbered as crewmates from 1 to 10 by Luffy on the chapter listings. In the latter case, Jinbe would be the 9th and Carrot the 10th.
Yea correct yourself! That’s right carrot for Nakama

Next ray will say it’s not happening and lotus will agree with me .
330183.jpg

LotusHD

Banned
That be the government but I imagine he much prefer the World nobles, since they would probably give CC all the money and control he wants without much interference or throwing in morality. That and he wouldn't be under Vegapunk.

Vegapunk seems to have a heart not stopping to the levels CC has done and even granting Kuma the power to fulfil his final wish/will when completing his transformation.

It will be interesting to see there back and forth besides the brief stuff we seen from CC time on PH.

Imagine if Judge was remotely likable, wouldn't have minded seeing him in a room with Vegapunk and Caesar. But I'll settle for just Caesar and Vegapunk now.

Yea correct yourself! That's right carrot for Nakama

Next ray will say it's not happening and lotus will agree with me .

It's not happening.
yet.

Xux

I wonder when we'll see Vegapunk's face. Will it be meaningful that they hid it or will it be kinda nothing like Dadan?

Ray Down

Banned
Speaking of Kata, anyone here believe the fan theory of him being a dwarf?

I wonder when we'll see Vegapunk's face. Will it be meaningful that they hid it or will it be kinda nothing like Dadan?

Hey I like Dadan design, she luffy real mom.

Vegapunk I think will be some kind of homage to Albert Einstein, hell long shot but maybe Rick if Greg got him those Rick and Morty dvds.

LotusHD

Banned

No because we already did the whole fake out thing with Cracker, and frankly, my mind refuses to believe it regardless. I'm just going to believe that him being a Special Paramecia simply means that he is effectively a Logia user, but Oda won't classify him as such because it isn't a natural element or whatever.

No I do not know why Haki attacks seem to not phase Katakuri, please leave me alone.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
No because we already did the whole fake out thing with Cracker, and frankly, my mind refuses to believe it regardless. I'm just going to believe that him being a Special Paramecia simply means that he is effectively a Logia user, but Oda won't classify him as such because it isn't a natural element or whatever.

No I do not know why Haki attacks seem to not phase Katakuri, please leave me alone.

He's using haki too

Hey I like Dadan design, she luffy real mom.

Vegapunk I think will be some kind of homage to Albert Einstein, hell long shot but maybe Rick if Greg got him those Rick and Morty dvds.
O god plz no we did it with trebol and cracker

HabeeNo

- Luffy escapes to the island Sanji is at
- Katakuri follows
- Sanji 1v1s Katakuri and wins
- Sanji gives cake to Big Mom, and she chills out
- Straw Hats leave

Ray Down

Banned
- Luffy escapes to the island Sanji is at
- Katakuri follows
- Sanji 1v1s Katakuri and wins
- Sanji gives cake to Big Mom, and she chills out
- Straw Hats leave

Why would Luffy possible endanger the cake baking by going there with Katakuri not defeated?

Xux

I don't see Luffy being able to find that mirror all the while fighting Katakuri.
I do. Maybe he can sense Sanji's Haki or the fight gets close and Sanji hears it from a mirror. Or maybe just luck.

You don't want any loud noises or big vibrations while baking. Depending on the type of cake it could cause a huge amount of damage to the finished product.
Well, HabeeNo did say "Island" so it doesn't have to be in the building with the kitchen the cake's being baked it. Sanji could go to try and keep them away or just go into a mirror in the building and fight.

Ray Down

Banned
I do. Maybe he can sense Sanji's Haki or the fight gets close and Sanji hears it from a mirror. Or maybe just luck.

Then Luffy needs Brulee to escape which Katakuri will prevent, for Luffy to leave he needs to beat Kata first I don't see Luffy leaving till thats done.

That even if Luffy can find it quickly while dealing with Kata.

Sanji can't do anything either without Brulee.

Anyway its gone be a long wait, no anime episode this week too :(

It will be interesting to see the dichotomy between the two besides the brief stuff we seen from CC perspective.

I can see Vegapunk being some kind of moderate/grey area character.
After all, most of his research has been used for pretty evil means so he can't be "totally good".

And if Sanji actually beats Katakuri, holy shit, he'd be completely reinstated in the monster trio.

JohnDoe

Banned
Considering the gap between katakuri and a yonko and how we might be nearing the "third act" of One Piece it would be nice to see Luffy win this in a close call like his fight with Rob Lucci. We still have the Wano arc up ahead (which will at least lead to a confrontation with Jack), taking down Kaido and Big Mom, finding Raftel, fighting Black Beard, some sort of Arc involving the revolutionary army and some sort of Arc with the discovery of the void century and a confrontation with the WG.
I doubt he will win though.

JohnDoe

Banned
I wonder what the gap in strength between Big Mom and Katakuri is and by extension, every Yonko and their first commander/first mate.
Everything so far indicates it's insane considering Big Moms feats and the way her commanders fear her.
I think the gap between Shanks and his commanders (especially Ben Beckman) might be smaller though.

LotusHD

Banned
Sanji ain't fighting no sweet commander.

If he's fighting anyone it's Daifuku or one of his family members.

Yup, Luffy is SC level, if barely, while we're supposed to assume that Zoro and Sanji (and Jinbe?) would be good enough to take people like Daifuku on.

Top Bottom