• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Firestorm

SnakeSlashRO said:
Thanks guys. Will start showing her Arlong Ark. And Movie 9. Then I prolly will show Alabasta Movie.... then Show Enies Lobby.

Then some of the battles from Skypiea and Kuro Ark Bartie Etc....
Nooooo. You show her the Arlong arc. If she likes you, you either start from scratch or you start watching from where Arlong arc ends. You do not spoil Arabasta with a crappy summary. You do not ruin the emotion in Water 7 / Enies Lobby by not leading up to it. You do not ruin the pacing of the show!

I would highly recommend going back and watching from the beginning considering how important the past of the crew members are to why they're there. By starting with Arlong you're already missing Luffy, Zoro, Usopp (not important actually), and Sanji's backstories.

Firestorm

Er, they won't be dubbed if that's what you're asking. No way in hell they can do it that fast. They will be subbed. Just check out the episodes they have up for Saboady Islands if you want an idea of how they'll be.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Himuro said:
Why not use "Lady Kaya!" instead instead "My lady!"

Although in the Japanese dialogue they wouldn't say Kaya's name in that line, in the context of English it'd make complete sense, since we know that's Kaya. Then again, since it's a title, most people in the series call her Kaya-Ojousama out of respect in the first place, so its rare you'd see a situation during Usopp's arc where Kaya and Ojousama are separate, making this a non-issue.

so you would prefer "stop pestering our lady/kaya/lady kaya?" lady kaya sounds ok.

my only problem with that is Lady is an official title granted ad recognised by the govt or whoever, and ojousama is not, its simply a way of addressing a young daughter of a rich family i.e paris hilton is not lady paris. so you change some context, which might not matter to you, but a fact is still a fact.

miss kaya is the best match, but its use in english is more about formality than social stature.

Firestorm

Griffith said:
Subtitled, yes.

Edit: Is there anyway for people outside of America to watch the simulcast?
Download Hotspot Shield. Install it. Enable it before you go to Funimation's site.

kaizoku said:
so you would prefer "stop pestering our lady/kaya/lady kaya?" lady kaya sounds ok.

my only problem with that is Lady is an official title granted ad recognised by the govt or whoever, and ojousama is not, its simply a way of addressing a young daughter of a rich family i.e paris hilton is not lady paris. so you change some context, which might not matter to you, but a fact is still a fact.

miss kaya is the best match, but its use in english is more about formality than social stature.
I've seen lady used the way it is in here on tv many times. It doesn't sound odd at all. This is what localization is about.

Lirlond

To be honest, I rarely care about the quality of the sub, after watching, and enjoying bootleg VHS' from HK or China, everything is better.

Sometimes, when I'm /really/ bored, I'll open the .ass and change all the localisations myself.

Maron

Firestorm said:
Best part of Arlong arc for me was the way they did
Bellemere's death
. That entire sequence was just directed (can you say directed for animation?) so well. Luffy also gives out the theme of the entire show near the end of the arc. His speech about how although he can't do everything on his own, he's got a crew that fills in the holes. Well, in the Japanese and hopefully Funimation version anyway. 4Kids changed it to "I CAN DO ANYTHING IF I PUT MY MIND TO IT".

Speaking of the 4Kids version of the Arlong arc.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NCxnFnucQE

Not bad! I can still sense the suspense and intensity of the scene!

Oh, who the fuck am I kidding?

Maron

Himuro said:
I disagree with this. I just suggest starting from episode 1. One of the reasons Arlong is so good is because of what Arlong did to Nami psychologically, and her place in the crew. It'd be pretty hard to even care about what's going on if you don't have any attachment to the characters in the first place.

This. I loved how in the beginning we were just led to believe Nami was just stealing all that money for herself since she was...just greedy, I guess. So it really is a big shock that she's doing this to save the people she loves. So every cent she made since we first saw her in episode 1 was for the sake of saving all of them. I thought that was amazing, even though she did
steal from them one last time when she left Cocoyashi Village at the end of the arc
.I get the feeling she did that just so it wouldn't be too painful for them to watch her go.

Randomly looking for OP gifs... found this pic.. made me laugh

1180622778684tb0.jpg

And this Killed me.

80868087xs4.png

And lastly, I love Nami even more. I forgot all about this moment.
namiswaaaaaandt3.gif

Griffith

Banned
Maron said:
Speaking of the 4Kids version of the Arlong arc.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NCxnFnucQE

Not bad! I can still sense the suspense and intensity of the scene!

Oh, who the fuck am I kidding?
Jesus, they completely ruined all the suspense and tension in that scene. The whole point of the scene was that you didn't know that Nami didn't stab Usopp and they fucked that up royally. So glad that FUNimation picked up One Piece so it can get the dub it deserves.

kaizoku said:

Any of that would be better. I love watching One Piece but I couldn't care less about what the Japanese words are. I don't care how the word is translated, just don't give me some word that I don't understand. The only one that I think fits is Nakama and that's just because I got used to it. I don't think "friend" fits like I've heard. For awhile I didn't like "comrade" either but once I saw it in an episode, I didn't think of it as a Russian saying, but it really fit. Wish all the subs would ditch Nakama for Comrade.

Get that Japanese out of my English translation.

Griffith

Banned
Personally, I like crewmate as a translation for nakama.

VGChampion said:
Wish all the subs would ditch Nakama for Comrade.

Get that Japanese out of my English translation.
That's why I think that Yibis are the best group that has done subbing for one piece. They translate everything except attacks.

Twig

Banned
I don't understand why it's worth all this bitching.

Besides, where would the English language be without the occasional foreign word or phrase, like deja vu, or ciesta? Or, lewl, anime. Geez.
Griffith said:
Personally, I like crewmate as a translation for nakama.
Ew. Ew no.

Firestorm

TheOneGuy said:
I don't think many people would but me. It's just a reactionary thing. Hah.
No, that's a pretty common association drilled into the western mind by the America of the late 1940s - early 1990s.

Twig

Banned
Himuro said:
The word "anime" was created in the west, though, wasn't it? We don't have a problem with the occasional non-English word, we have a problem with fansubbers putting Japanese words in there like "onichan" or "obasan" when they could have easily been translated into English.
I know. And I agreed with that, in previous posts I made! I despise the ridiculousness of the oniichan syndrome. Still doesn't mean it's worth all this bitching, though. I:

A quick Google stint on the etymology of anime reveals that the Japanese stole it from the French word l'anime and replace "manga eiga" (TV manga, though eiga as I know it means movie) with anime at some point in the 1970s.

coff coff

It was a very quick stint, though, so I'm sure there's some missing facts.

neoanarch

Anime is obviously just short for Animation. But you can't deny that "anime" has a distinct style.

Also fuck yeah. Finally the simulcast has come.

Twig

Banned
Also I bought some One Piece swag after I discovered the Jump Shop in Odaiba a few days ago. O: (The Laputa statue in the box and the Ponyo pins were from a Miyazaki shop in Kamakura.)

P1070570.jpg

First time I really geeked out at a store since coming to Japan, and it's been five months!

Twig

Banned
VGChampion said:
I want that Goku / Luffy statue.
They've got a whole line of DBZxOP merchandize, for the Jump 40th Anniversary stuff.

It's appropriate, because DBZ was my first, and OP is my favorite. O:

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
can someone point me in the right direction of one piece episodes from 378 and onwards?

vegapunk has stopped at 377, and i couldn't find 378-381 on yibis. can anyone help me bridge the gap?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Scrow said:
can someone point me in the right direction of one piece episodes from 378 and onwards?

vegapunk has stopped at 377, and i couldn't find 378-381 on yibis. can anyone help me bridge the gap?
You're going to have to try Instantz or bear with Gogoanime (ew).

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Himuro said:
The only disappointing thing about simulcast is the use of honorifics like "sama" but other than that, there's no reason for me to ever dl a One Piece episode ever again.

I love you Funi.

Now just give me an HD simulcast. D:

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Himuro said:
Eh. The quality's good enough for me to not care. Isn't it in hd?

It is not HD no sir. I mean I just like watching it fullscreened, and when you fullscreen an SD show on any kind of modern laptop it's gonna look pretty shite, so in order to keep it lookin' fine on Funimation's site I have to keep it in the little window.

I'd say "oh they make it small on the website so you're encouraged to pay money for the blu rays!" except that they won't be releasing these episodes in the US for another 40 years, and even then there's no guarantee they'll even be in HD (the Japanese releases have only been on DVDs).

I'm a sucker for HD animation.

Darkman M

Same here just got to the thriller bark arc, and im loving hd one piece especially since im using a 52 inch tv looks amazing.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Tathanen said:
It is not HD no sir. I mean I just like watching it fullscreened, and when you fullscreen an SD show on any kind of modern laptop it's gonna look pretty shite, so in order to keep it lookin' fine on Funimation's site I have to keep it in the little window.

I'd say "oh they make it small on the website so you're encouraged to pay money for the blu rays!" except that they won't be releasing these episodes in the US for another 40 years, and even then there's no guarantee they'll even be in HD (the Japanese releases have only been on DVDs).

I'm a sucker for HD animation.
Sadly no HD is a consession that funimation has to make for undisclosed reasons (I'm gonna guess the obvious bandwith, Toei and DVDs trifecta). However Funimation does seem pretty optimistic about Blu-ray and wants to release more of them as the market grows. And hey, by the time Funimation gets to the HD episodes Blu-ray will probably be the standard by then :lol

nelsonroyale said:
eh, Ill just watch it subbed...I prefer watching all foreign movies/cartoons/animes subbed...
What is this in response to? Funimation's simucast? Cuz that is subbed.

aechris

Scrow said:

I used Nakama-Fansubs, they weren't too bad (hated the eyecatch labelling though).

Griffith

Banned
Scrow said:

Try Nakama Fansubs or VS subs. The people who did VS subs are now part of Yibis.

Twig

Banned
I haven't been keeping up with this whole simulcast thing, because at my apartment I have dial-up. In two weeks, however, I'm heading back to Amurrka... so now I'd like to know the following:

Is Funi also putting up older episodes? If so, how fast? I gave up watching the anime because there were so many different subbers starting and quitting I got all befuddled. But if Funi is going to make it so easy...!

Anth0ny

The simulcast is awesome. The subs are fine, I could care less if they use haki or not. We all know what it means, no need to bitch about it =/

It's too bad that I thought the story was, well... pretty damn boring on the most part from Filler Bark to Impel Down. So I'm not that excited over the current episodes. However, once the anime reaches Impel Down... :D

Twig

Banned
Anth0ny said:
It's too bad that I thought the story was, well... pretty damn boring on the most part from Filler Bark to Impel Down.
Well, first of all, you're crazy. And second, "Filler"?!

Anth0ny said:
Thriller Bark felt like filler to me. It was that bad.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was bad but it did feel like a dip in quality after the insanity of Water 7 and Enies Lobby. That and Skypia are the only 2 arcs I would say went on for too long.

Anth0ny

cosmicblizzard said:
I wouldn't go so far as to say it was bad but it did feel like a dip in quality after the insanity of Water 7 and Enies Lobby. That and Skypia are the only 2 arcs I would say went on for too long.

It was definitely a dip in quality. It was the only part of One Piece where I stopped viewing spoilers out of sheer boredom. I didn't end up watching the anime version of it either, except Zoro vs. Kuma, which was by far the best part of the arc and was one of my very favourite anime episodes as well :D

2625i4h.gif

Now that I think about it, did anything important happen during that arc at all? It's been a while since I read it... but I feel like the story could have went from Brook joining to crew right to the Sabaody Archipelago arc.

To reiterate:

Thriller Bark: May as well be filler. Horrible arc IMO.
Sabaody Archipelago: Crap (what the hell is Duval? I didn't find it funny at all) until we meet the Supernovas, Rayleigh and Kizaru. The arc became amazing at that point. We meet great, new characters, lots of action, and get a plot twist no one expected. God damn.
Amazon Lily: Mediocre. I wasn't enjoying it until we find out about
Hancock's crush on Luffy
. I don't think anyone saw that coming :lol This led to the greatness that is...
Impel Down: My favourite arc of the series, and it's not even done? I don't want to spoil it for anime watchers, but I'm sure my fellow manga readers agree with me when I say this arc is simply :D :D :D

Totally makes up for Thriller Bark :lol

LOL. I was just rewatching 409 on Funi and caught this.

pandawoman.jpg

I almost didn't catch it this time either. Didn't see it referenced in the thread, so I figured I would post it.

Pandaman would be well pleased. :D

Twig

Banned
Anth0ny said:
Now that I think about it, did anything important happen during that arc at all? It's been a while since I read it... but I feel like the story could have went from Brook joining to crew right to the Sabaody Archipelago arc.
Uh, yes, Brook didn't officially join the crew until after Thriller Bark. The whole shadow thing.

Also the Oars fight was badass, GTFO.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Anth0ny said:
2625i4h.gif

Lion's Song bitch! Once of my favorite Zoro moments of all time (animated). I must've seen that part a dozen times now. Never gets old. And besides Brook, they had to get in Gecko Moria, which led to Kuma. Both of those characters will likely have bigger roles in the future (especially Kuma imo as I think he's working with Dragon). Besides that, yeah, the arc was pretty lame compared to Water 7.

Nocebo

Anth0ny said:
Zorro gained a new named sword. Nami got naked. Chopper met his idol. Are the only important things I can think of. Overall Thrillerbark didn't really appeal to me either. It was the only time I actually stopped reading the manga for a couple of weeks.

Top Bottom