• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Thriller Bark wasn't all to hot cept' for the Laboon connection and Zoro+Nami stuff. I almost read Anth0ny's write up on Impel Down.:lol (Anime only watcher here.)
Favorite Zoro part was when Sanji asks Zoro whats happened to him when hes all bloodied up from Kuma and he says "Nothing" then the ep. ends such a badass.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Thriller Bark was more like Oda's filler. We needed a break after the awesomeness that went before, and TB was almost like visiting a theme park.

Weird that we saw Luffy possibly be the strongest he will ever be? and still seems like he is so far off the likes of kizaru and whitebeard. bizarre.

kuma is awesome though. and the thing with zoro surely has repercussions in future. He was supposed to die, and give his life for luffy's life. but for some strange reason he lived, albeit with severely injured arms.

I was wondering if he'd ever be able to fight again, has he basically sacrificed his dream for the crew?

Have we seen Zoro fight since them? Not really. the encounter with the bounty hunters was very brief and he visibly struggled. The crew was being set up for a huge test which they have to pass if they want to compete in the new world. they can't just keep relying on Luffy. This theme has been building up for awhile now and I think splitting them up is an interesting way to try and get them all to evolve in some way. Zoro and Sanji can't just keep getting 'stronger', something drastic needs to happen.

Tacitus_

^

Um, he almost died. Of course he'd be weak for a while. When they got to the Archipelago, he had his strenght back, just not his enormous stamina since he was still recovering from his wounds.

kaizoku

Himuro said:
Thriller Bark is important because the entire thing is basically one giant set up for Sabondy. It shows the Strawhats completely outclassed. They have to completely give it their all to survive while in the past, not so much. For example, it would have been impossible for the SH's to win if it weren't for Luffy to use a power up.

You're looking into it too much.

It's basically the same thing that happened to Zoro when Mihawk slashed him. He'll be injured for a while and then bounce back. He even fought at Sabondy. It's just that the Kuma Clones + Kizaru fight that really made his injury come back to light.

I don't think I'm looking too much into it... Luffy was going to be executed. They specifically made a deal to trade lives and the way the whole scene panned out, we didn't get to see what transpired between them and how Zoro came to be stood there, seemingly too weak to even fall over, and why Kuma left him alive.

From the way it was set up and how it was his arms specifically that he put in, I think there's more to this than we've seen yet.

Another thing which people might overlook is when the photographer took a picture of sanji in Water 7 but it came out completely black despite the other pictures he took coming out fine.

Coupled with Sanji's devil powers, I think there's going to be more to Sanji from that angle.

Tacitus_

You're definately reading too much into it. Zoro is an even bigger idiot than Luffy.

Also, Sanji: the photo came black since the photographer forgot to take the lens cover off (short gag when he presented the photos to a marine officer), nor does Sanji have a devil (fruit?) power. The only thing he does even close to such is the Diablo Jambe where he heats his leg by friction.

Darkman M

Thiller bark is not as bad as people make it out to be it has alot of funy moments, but i think they made the arc way to long.

kaizoku

Tacitus_ said:
You're definately reading too much into it. Zoro is an even bigger idiot than Luffy.

Also, Sanji: the photo came black since the photographer forgot to take the lens cover off (short gag when he presented the photos to a marine officer), nor does Sanji have a devil (fruit?) power. The only thing he does even close to such is the Diablo Jambe where he heats his leg by friction.

I wasn't talking about devil fruits, I was talking about his diablo jambe, which is as clear a reference to demon stuff as you can get, he even does a devil stance. how does a human make his leg turn molten anyway - bit odd isnt it? I think there is more to be revealed here and we've simply had various clues along the way, we've seen sanji do lots of demon-like stuff recently.

and yes the lens thing was a joke, but it could be read many ways i.e my pc is broken - is it plugged in? the question is never actually answered by the cameraman and I think they go to all this trouble to set this stuff up for more than just a joke, example, Luffy saying he wants a shipwright and draws a Franky lookalike or saying he wants a musician from day one etc etc.

I actually think you guys are reading too much into what you think you know about the show, (i.e saying zoro is an idiot or the lens joke should be taken at face value). my thoughts come purely from a storytelling/film making/literary perspective that storytelling devices have been planted like seeds which will eventually come to fruition.

hell maybe there's more to sanji's unseen eye than we know? :D

time will tell I guess.

bathala

Banned
i didn't know u can watch OnePiece on their official site and subbed already.

thanks Opera for not blocking those ads

Tacitus_

kaizoku said:
I wasn't talking about devil fruits, I was talking about his diablo jambe, which is as clear a reference to demon stuff as you can get, he even does a devil stance. how does a human make his leg turn molten anyway - bit odd isnt it? I think there is more to be revealed here and we've simply had various clues along the way, we've seen sanji do lots of demon-like stuff recently.

I told you already, Sanji does the Diable Jambe by spinning around, heating his leg with friction. Go read chapter 415 again if you don't want to believe me.

As for the other demonic stuff... the only thing I remember is when he lit up with RAAAAGGEEEE when Nami got taken on Thriller Bark. I think it should be pretty much clear to anyone who has read One Piece that this was done for humorous effect, such as when amazed characters have their tongue/eyes pop out.

Tacitus_ said:
I told you already, Sanji does the Diable Jambe by spinning around, heating his leg with friction. Go read chapter 415 again if you don't want to believe me.

As for the other demonic stuff... the only thing I remember is when he lit up with RAAAAGGEEEE when Nami got taken on Thriller Bark. I think it should be pretty much clear to anyone who has read One Piece that this was done for humorous effect, such as when amazed characters have their tongue/eyes pop out.

What about Zoro's Evil Ki? Or Demonic presence? :lol

Griffith

Banned
U K Narayan said:
Is this show even good?

300+ episodes -- what the Hell.
Definitely one of my favourite anime, and it keeps getting better and better despite being 415 episodes and probably only half done.

kaizoku

Tacitus_ said:

oh gee you already told me so, I'm sorry, wtf was I thinking?

I still think heating up your leg by friction then doing a shitty devil pose is the lamest and most ridiculous move ever and that there will be more to come from devil Sanji.

spinning so fast his leg turns red hot? as if sanji could do that without burning his own leg off? plus it increases his fighting power and isnt just normal power but hottter! hmm.

look I'm just throwing this out there because I like to talk about one piece, I'm not stupid enough to think I can second guess what Oda will do next, I havent got a clue. which is why I leave avenues like this open rather than close them off with crappy excuses.

Oh man I remember I used to love this comic, but it went straight to hell by the Sky Arc....

...and then there was the Foxy arc.

And I just bailed out.

Its a shame... I really feel Oda is just pushing this series becuase of the money making machine its become. Shueisha probably need it as their current gen Dragonball.

Himuro said:
DUDE IT'S A CARTOON

Best answer to this discussion. You're pushing the limit on One Piece there Kaizoku. :lol

I'm happy we'll be out of Amazon Lilly soon. I enjoyed it in the Manga but the style it's being drawn in the Anime really bothers me for some reason. Everyone seems so ugly.

Neo C. said:
Bail out at the wrong time. After the Foxy filler, the Water 7/Enies Lobby shoots the story in a new level of epicness.

I loosely tried to follow the Water 7 arc at some point. But it just didnt seem to capture me... I dunno. I lost touch with One Piece after that.

And frankie as a character really didnt feel right. it felt as if Oda just didnt know what he was doing himself either.

highluxury said:
And frankie as a character really didnt feel right. it felt as if Oda just didnt know what he was doing himself either.

Opposite for me. One Piece is the only series I follow now because it actually seems the author has the story planned out and knows where he's going with it.

Snaku

Banned
highluxury said:

what? :(

1492hvo.gif

Sipowicz

Banned
i started watching this recently because the pirate concept sounds quite unique for a japanese cartoon

it's the first time i've seen a manga since i was younger and it's pretty damn cool

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
kaizoku said:
oh gee you already told me so, I'm sorry, wtf was I thinking?

I still think heating up your leg by friction then doing a shitty devil pose is the lamest and most ridiculous move ever and that there will be more to come from devil Sanji.

spinning so fast his leg turns red hot? as if sanji could do that without burning his own leg off? plus it increases his fighting power and isnt just normal power but hottter! hmm.

look I'm just throwing this out there because I like to talk about one piece, I'm not stupid enough to think I can second guess what Oda will do next, I havent got a clue. which is why I leave avenues like this open rather than close them off with crappy excuses.
The official reason of this is because "while the Diable Jambe burns hot, Sanji's heart burns hotter".

Also: "If you're wondering how he eats and breathes and other science facts, Then repeat to yourself 'It's just a show, I should really just relax.'""

In other news: Episode 416

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Damn, I'm always amazed at the pacing of One Piece.

One episode fits approximately one chapter's worth of content, yet doesn't feel slow at all.

Griffith

Banned
After Amazon Lilly finishes, they are going to expand on what happens to the strawhats while they are separated, with each episode covering two characters.

Titles of new episodes:

418 - The Crew's Whereabouts - Weather Science and Karakuri Island
419 - The Crew's Whereabouts - The Island of Giant Birds and the Pink Paradise!
420 - The Crew's Whereabouts - The Bridge that Connects Islands and Man-Eating Plants

Twig

Banned
Griffith said:
After Amazon Lilly finishes, they are going to expand on what happens to the strawhats while they are separated, with each episode covering two characters.

Titles of new episodes:

420 - The Crew's Whereabouts - The Bridge that Connects Islands and Man-Eating Plants
Oh my gourd now I need to play catch up on the anime. The short title-page stories in the manga just weren't cutting it for me this time.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Does Jewelry Bonney's Devil's Fruit power seem a bit overpowered to anyone else?

Unless it has some time restrictions or doesn't work against stronger-willed people, she could just turn any of the Shichibukai or Admirals into children and have her crew deal with them.

Griffith said:

Titles of new episodes:

That's pretty awesome. I wonder if we'll get some expanded information. I was wondering when they were going to do that. I'm dying to see the voices for a few characters in the next arc though. :lol

BobLoblaw

Banned
DarthWoo said:
Does Jewelry Bonney's Devil's Fruit power seem a bit overpowered to anyone else?

Unless it has some time restrictions or doesn't work against stronger-willed people, she could just turn any of the Shichibukai or Admirals into children and have her crew deal with them.
Not really. I think it is based on a person's willpower though. Since the Strawhats were able to remain standing after Rayleigh's "Haki" incident in the auction house, I'm sure they'd do the same against her. Besides, if she has to like point her finger to "zap" someone, a guy like Kizaru would smash her face in. Same with Kuma since he's a cyborg.

Snaku

Banned
Griffith said:

Titles of new episodes:

That's so sweet. Hopefully Oda is involved with each of these stories.

Griffith

Banned
Crazymoogle said:
Argh...so the official site only carries the latest ep, huh? That's too bad, would have liked to catch up on the last few eps.
I just checked the site and it carries episodes 1-13 from the first dvd subbed and dubbed, and episodes 391-416 subbed.

highluxury said:
Oh man I remember I used to love this comic, but it went straight to hell by the Sky Arc....

And I just bailed out.

Its a shame... I really feel Oda is just pushing this series becuase of the money making machine its become. Shueisha probably need it as their current gen Dragonball.

I need a reason.......... Sky Arc is what made me love one Piece even more then I originally did..... FOXY WAS SO DAMN FUNNY!!! AFRO LUFFY!?!?! WHAT!!!!

EDIT:

Titles of new episodes:

I just creamed my self... brb

Maron

I'm still continuing in my quest to cath up to the current One Piece anime episodes (right now I'm at around the start of Water 7, and damn, some of the groups out there that sub (or subbed) this series are awful. I know I may be taking it a bit too seriously, but it bugs me when words such as "nani", "yosh", "hai", and especially "baka" are just left as is, like the universe would explode if someone actually tried to translate it into English. I know there's that whole debate with nakama and whatever, but for the other words I just mentioned it's fucking ridiculous.

EDIT: Ugh, Kawaii is left as is too....

Lirlond

Maron said:
I'm still continuing in my quest to cath up to the current One Piece anime episodes (right now I'm at around the start of Water 7, and damn, some of the groups out there that sub (or subbed) this series are awful. I know I may be taking it a bit too seriously, but it bugs me when words such as "nani", "yosh", "hai", and especially "baka" are just left as is, like the universe would explode if someone actually tried to translate it into English. I know there's that whole debate with nakama and whatever, but for the other words I just mentioned it's fucking ridiculous.

Yeah, the first 100 or so chapters of the manga are just as bad, Ruffy, Lysopp, Zollo etc.

They get better, don't worry!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Maron said:

What subs are you using? That's horrible. Kaizoku Subs never had any of that (or well, most)

Maron

I'm just watching them streamed one after another on a website, where the episodes are subbed by different groups at times. For example, there could be like 7 or so Kaizoku subbed episodes in a row and then a different group, so it's random, but it seems the website has every episode. The group I was referring to was some group called Geru-Sama (however in this case it seems that this is being done only by a couple of people, withthe guy subbing most of it calling himself Gerusama).

I've went to the Kaizoku website because I want to download some of their subs, but their directions on how it can be done make absolutely no sense to me...And I feel it's a lot less time consuming to just watch them one after another on one website instead of individual downloads, since I'm only on Water 7.

On a side note, I have to say, I love ED 15. Makes me glad I never skipped any One Piece arcs, since it means I can actually identify what arcs the pictures came from.

inner-G

Banned
Maron said:
I've went to the Kaizoku website because I want to download some of their subs, but their directions on how it can be done make absolutely no sense to me...
All you do is click on 'Get One Piece' then 'bittorrent'.

They have batches, too.

Maron

That's nice, but I was thinking about downloading some episodes individually as well. Are the later episodes on that BitTorrent page the latest subs Kaizoku has put out? I get the feeling that batches woud just take a very long time to download.

Here's another instance of horrible subbing by the group I mentioned earlier that I just remembered: in the Davy Back Fight Arc, the Straw Hat Pirates are actually consistently referred to in the subs as "The Mugiawra Pirates"....

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Maron said:
That's nice, but I was thinking about downloading some episodes individually as well. Are the later episodes on that BitTorrent page the latest subs Kaizoku has put out? I get the feeling that batches woud just take a very long time to download.

Here's another instance of horrible subbing by the group I mentioned earlier that I just remembered: in the Davy Back Fight Arc, the Straw Hat Pirates are actually consistently referred to in the subs as "The Mugiawra Pirates"....

You do know you can open a batch and select which files to download first do you?

Firestorm

highluxury said:

And I just bailed out.

Ok. So just to get this straight.

You went through the utter shit that is Skypia and Foxy that people only go through because of how fucking batshit INSANE Water 7 + Enies Lobby is... but never actually saw Water 7 and Enies Lobby?

Why why why why why does you hate good things.

Maron

Relix said:
You do know you can open a batch and select which files to download first do you?

How do I do that, exactly? Sorry if I sound like an idiot.

And I'll admit, I skipped 4 or 5 episodes of Skypeia because it felt like it was going on forever, but I really liked
when Luffy rang the Golden Bell with Eneru
. Still....I really hope they never go there again...took way too long for them to leave.

Listen to Firestorm, highluxury. I only liked the Davy Back Fight arc's final fight, myself. At first I was going thru One Piece just for the sake of catching up to join in on discussion about current chapters/episodes, but I'm in the Water 7 arc now and I'm watching episode after episode out of enjoyment (not that this wasn't the case previously, just that Skypeia and Foxy really weren't the best things Oda has written).:D If I knew Skypeia was going to drag for so damn long I would've skipped more than five episodes of it's arc, in all honesty.

Top Bottom