• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Still making my way through the show in the Marineford/Summit war arc and just
reached Ace's Death.

Just what in the fuck??
Ace watches his entire crew and brother fucking kill themselves trying to reach his ass for what feels like 100+ episodes... and he undoes it all by falling into Akainu's obvious taunting equivalent of "your dad is a stupid butt". How could he jeopardize their entire escape by falling for such juvenile trap? You'd think watching everyone closest to him get brutally ravaged for his rescue would be enough reason to swallow his pride and escape so that it wouldn't all be in vain.

I just found it extremely out of character and one of the more disappointing plot turns thus far.

And christ, Akainu is OP as hell!
Taking down Ace and severely crippling White Beard as well? For a guy with almost zero presence up to this point, I didn't expect HIM to be the one to take Ace down. This whole turn of events has me a little unmotivated to continue tbh. Although Black Beard just arrived, that should make things interesting I guess.

Magwik

Banned
Eh, you don't need to spoiler tag Marineford stuff here. We're openly talking about stuff arcs ahead of you, so you should be a tad careful with what you read in this thread.

Squalor

Would appreciate it if there weren't any manga discussions, though.

But manga readers can never resist bringing that shit into anime threads.

Eh, you don't need to spoiler tag Marineford stuff here. We're openly talking about stuff arcs ahead of you, so you should be a tad careful with what you read in this thread.

I figure why not in case there are ever any newcomers to the series like me that happen to stroll into the thread :p

Any spoilers I catch here are often with so many new character names without any context that it doesn't really make an impression on me anyway.

marmoka

Banned
reached Ace's Death.

Just what in the fuck??
Ace watches his entire crew and brother fucking kill themselves trying to reach his ass for what feels like 100+ episodes... and he undoes it all by falling into Akainu's obvious taunting equivalent of "your dad is a stupid butt". How could he jeopardize their entire escape by falling for such juvenile trap? You'd think watching everyone closest to him get brutally ravaged for his rescue would be enough reason to swallow his pride and escape so that it wouldn't all be in vain.

I just found it extremely out of character and one of the more disappointing plot turns thus far.

Taking down Ace and severely crippling White Beard as well? For a guy with almost zero presence up to this point, I didn't expect HIM to be the one to take Ace down. This whole turn of events has me a little unmotivated to continue tbh. Although Black Beard just arrived, that should make things interesting I guess.

Avoid this forum until you reach the last broadcasted chapter. You will find many spoilers here that will ruin your experience.

I've been watching One Piece on Toonami for about the last year and recently started watching it subbed, having just finished the Thriller Bark arc so I'm really far behind.

Hi.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
reached Ace's Death.

Just what in the fuck??

Well Whitebeard was on life support pretty much, I'm sure a prime WB would've wrecked Akainu. And Ace powers' natural enemy is basically Akainu, it's like Luffy and Enel. Lava>Fire according to OP. Sure he also beat Aokiji but if Lava>Fire then Lava>Ice too. He has a powerful devil fruit, but I wouldn't put much stock into his display at Marineford. Any of the Yonko will probably beat him.

Just passed the part where Luffy was on the women only isle and it feels like every time a new female character is introduced they either were captured or get captured.

I'm just tired of all of these depressing back story's.

Edit: Episode 439...........................wat

Dugna

Just passed the part where Luffy was on the women only isle and it feels like every time a new female character is introduced they either were captured or get captured.

I'm just tired of all of these depressing back story's.

Edit: Episode 439...........................wat

depressing backstories are the thing to this series, they never end. Also in the case of Amazon lily the men are actually slaves there, and only Hancock and her sisters where previous slaves.

Kaizer

Banned
So I marathoned all the way from episode 660 to the present 725 this past week and man, all I have to say is Dressrosa got gud! This has been a long story arc, but I've been enjoying all the new various pirates that were introduced & their subsequent battles. Although Bellamy bouncing around that room for the equivalent of like 3 months of episodes was amazing lol.

Can't wait for
Gear Fourth
tonight in about 20 minutes, I couldn't help spoiling myself on its look, but can't wait to see it in action!

ffdgh

Any and all violence directed at Doflamingo is good. Also Bart's fanboy moments never get old.
KuGsj.gif

Weird animation quirk with luffy still wearing his sandals though while using gear fourth.

Any and all violence directed at Doflamingo is good. Also Bart's fanboy moments never get old.
KuGsj.gif

Weird animation quirk with luffy still wearing his sandals though while using gear fourth.
It was like that in the manga too. They somehow magically reappeared from what I remember.

That episode was everything I wanted even the first half wasn't too bad.

HeelPower

One of the few times I felt so intensely for a shonen character getting a power-up.

Luffy damn well earned his place as a powerful character in this series.

Also,what an oddly creative,goofy and bouncy power up this is!

Dugna

I know they have to show the escalation of the birdcage growing smaller and such to show time passing basically. But all of these citizens feeling scared and stuff I feel nothing for....like with Alabasta least we had Vivi giving a shit about these people which in turn would help us care a bit. Like Koza and the royal family....just again not much to care about here.

Though man Gear Fourth looks very good in Anime form.

Dugna

Liked this part the most out of the Gear Fourth transformation in the anime. At the end it shows his Devil fruit basically.

Also still laughed very hard at this scene lol.

Overall very good job with the ep even with the padding, and next ep looks to be good also.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Really good episode. However makes me yearn for a series with the budget that the transformation scene got. Going from that to citizens running for their lives is always jarring.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
reached Ace's Death.

Just what in the fuck??

All the admirals (and Garp) are OP as hell. But you do realize that WB is severely injured (and old and sick), right? And even so, Akainu is basically surviving due to plot armor?

Cwarrior

Is there a place that tells you who worked on what part?

Once you get use to certain animators styles you can spot them instantly, a lot of them tend to have there own style.

If I need too I check up the episode staff list website/database a twitter user called animatorconer created

http://animatorscorner.com/animation_profile/3#episode-8222

For new animator I've never seen before I tend to ask the guys at Apforums, then remeber there style then it gives me an understanding of what scenes they've worked on in the past.

For example when I learnt katsumi ishizuka style I realize the dude behind all of my fav scenes (gomu gomu storm to crocodile,golden rifile to enel, blueno vs gear second,luffy vs ussop and jet gatling gun to rob lucci).

Once you get use to certain animators styles you can spot them instantly, a lot of them tend to have there own style.

If I need too I check up the episode staff list website/database a twitter user called animatorconer created

http://animatorscorner.com/animation_profile/3#episode-8222

For new animator I've never seen before I tend to ask the guys at Apforums, then remeber there style then it gives me an understanding of what scenes they've worked on in the past.

For example when I learnt katsumi ishizuka style I realize the dude behind all of my fav scenes (gomu gomu storm to crocodile,golden rifile to enel, blueno vs gear second,luffy vs ussop and jet gatling gun to rob lucci).

Thank you, that's very helpful

Squalor

FUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKK, that was way more incredible than I could have imagined.

Goddamn, One Piece, when you're good, you're fucking fantastic. It has been far too long since the show was this good since it hasn't been this good since part one.

I appreciate the similarities between Gear Fourth and Nightmare Luffy :D

I don't get why he had to remove his sandals (at least at first?) His feet didn't even grow :p

Really cool how it was established last episode that he is either fast but weak (Gear2nd) or strong but slow (Gear3rd) and he needs to be both if he wants to defeat Doflamingo. Though overall his new form gives me Super Saiyan 3 vibes but we'll see if it has the same drawback.

1upsuper

Hello. I've got a lot of free time coming up and I was thinking about starting One Piece. Is there any reason to read the manga over the anime? Watching it is definitely my preference but if the anime skips good content then I'd be willing to read instead. I'm sorry if this gets asked all the time. No one I talk to can give me a straight answer.

Hello. I've got a lot of free time coming up and I was thinking about starting One Piece. Is there any reason to read the manga over the anime? Watching it is definitely my preference but if the anime skips good content then I'd be willing to read instead. I'm sorry if this gets asked all the time. No one I talk to can give me a straight answer.

Generally you would read the manga for a quicker pace, and more consistent art. The anime doesn't skip anything but suffers from an unholy amount of padding since they tend to go at the pace of 1 chapter = 1 episode. Most episodes don't start until like five minutes in since they put a recap there. It has stellar VO and music, but suffers from wonkier art and animation. Also, it has fillers that are generally meh.

smurfx

get some go again
i would definitely start with the anime. they change the order of some stuff at the beginning but it isn't that important. the anime also has a really good pace up until water 7 when they start doing 1 chapter per episode.

Holy shit the Summit War arc does not end. I have a ton of thoughts about it once I finish it in the next day or two. Main thought about it is they threw way too many characters into it. Not finished with it yet (just finished episode 488) but all of the Warlords have completely disappeared for the last 15+ episodes outside of the female one (I'm awful with names so I'll be pretty vague when talking about characters).

Firestorm

Anime first. Once you catch up you'll probably wanna go manga as the pacing of the show is really frustrating in more recent arcs. I think the anime is a great way of getting the characters' voices in your head.

I also recommend giving the manga a read from the beginning a year or two later. The amount of foreshadowing that Oda does... The man has everything planned.

Squalor

Thanks, you two. Looks like I'll start the anime soon then.
There's a site that shows you which episodes you can skip. There aren't as many as Naruto, but there are enough.

Fillers aren't too bad in this show, though. What gets bad is needlessly extended scenes and poor pacing since there aren't a ton of actual filler episodes.

Top Bottom