• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

IHaveIce

Banned
So they replaced Mihawks' speech during the timeskip about blackblades and Zoro getting no alcohol until he can do that with the scene from the Baratie?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So they replaced Mihawks' speech during the timeskip about blackblades and Zoro getting no alcohol until he can do that with the scene from the Baratie?

That's next episode. That scene happened after Zoro already won.

Squalor

We still have no clue how fucking strong Zoro is.

His ceiling is ridiculously high.

Zoro has faced zero challenges since the time skip. He hasn't broken a sweat once.

Am I crazy for thinking he could put up a fight against Donquixote?

Banzai

Hey guys I have a favor to ask:
I want to buy something Trafalgar Law related for my girlfriend for christmas since she's a big fan of him. I was thinking something like a blanket or a pillow would be cool.
Do you know where I should look for such a thing or could you direct me somewhere where asking would be more appropriate?
I found some blankets by googling but they were all out of stock/print.

Thanks for any help.

Oxn

I want to buy something Trafalgar Law related for my girlfriend for christmas since she's a big fan of him. I was thinking something like a blanket or a pillow would be cool.
Do you know where I should look for such a thing or could you direct me somewhere where asking would be more appropriate?

Thanks for any help.

A Law body pillow? You might get kicked out of the bedroom :):):):)

Thanks for any help.

Buy a hat replica! You can probably find one on Amazon or Play-asia or a similar site.

Banzai

A Law body pillow? You might get kicked out of the bedroom :):):):)

Ha, yeah I'm ruling out a body pillow just in case :D

Buy a hat replica! You can probably find one on Amazon or Play-asia or a similar site.

I thought about that actually, although I'm not sure if it's something she'd actually wear? Or if it's something anyone wears outside if not cosplaying, for that matter. I'll keep thinking about it.

Zolo

To be fair, Law's hat is probably one of the few things you could wear without it being recognized as cosplay/anime and just be considered fashion.

I thought about that actually, although I'm not sure if it's something she'd actually wear? Or if it's something anyone wears outside if not cosplaying, for that matter. I'll keep thinking about it.

Yeah that's true, it probably wouldn't see much use. Maybe a nicely made figurine? Or you could buy a poster and frame it, maybe even the wanted poster. Depends on what kind of memorabilia she's in to.

To be fair, Law's hat is probably one of the few things you could wear without it being recognized as cosplay/anime and just be considered fashion.

Well, you'd look pretty stupid, let's be honest.

Banzai

Yeah that's true, it probably wouldn't see much use. Maybe a nicely made figurine? Or you could buy a poster and frame it, maybe even the wanted poster. Depends on what kind of memorabilia she's in to.

Hm, well she doesn't collect figurines of any sort so I think that'd be too much. There's no room on her walls for a poster, either. Her bed's full of animal plushies, though, which is why i thought a small pillow would be a neat idea.
The only anime related thing I've seen in her room are slippers that look like the soot thingies from Spirited Away lol

sorry for taking up thread space for this, thanks though!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I like how it was addressed that Zoro's plan involved killing dozens of bystanders :p

A86vCYh.gif

Magwik

Banned
It's a fucking miracle
The 2 months of Bellamy bouncing filler have ended
Pica got fucked
The factory got fucked
Shit is actually happening again

Koala: "some bad stuff might happen"
Sabo: "I'm busy"
Koala: "Bad stuff might happen to luffy"
Sabo: "Be right there"
Koala: "..."

Banzai

Seems dumb to me that Luffy didn't just knock out Bellamy immediately. It's not like he actually died from it. Why make that sort of filler when you could have just not shown Luffy at all.

Squalor

Seems dumb to me that Luffy didn't just knock out Bellamy immediately. It's not like he actually died from it. Why make that sort of filler when you could have just not shown Luffy at all.
If Luffy had just knocked him out from the beginning, you couldn't explain away why it would have taken him so long to get up to Doflamingo.

Still, it's stupid to have him do what he did for that many episodes and take all that damage just for him to wind up punching him anyway.

It would have been better for Bellamy had Luffy knocked him out immediately. He wouldn't have overexerted himself so much.

Hell, knocking out Bellamy, then having Luffy fight another Doflamingo string clone would have made more sense.

If Luffy had just knocked him out from the beginning, you couldn't explain away why it would have taken him so long to get up to Doflamingo.

Still, it's stupid to have him do what he did for that many episodes and take all that damage just for him to wind up punching him anyway.

It would have been better for Bellamy had Luffy knocked him out immediately. He wouldn't have overexerted himself so much.

Hell, knocking out Bellamy, then having Luffy fight another Doflamingo string clone would have made more sense.

Waiting so long would be maybe justified if Luffy had actually killed him with that attack but we all know he should be fine :p
It's a nice homage to their first fight, but come on, Luffy has tons of ways to restrict him w/o punching him in the head. At the very least Bellamy should not be fast/strong enough to even hit/hurt him.

I would have preferred Luffy dodging everything and Bellamy collapsing from his own attacks as Luffy was mentioning when he started his jumping thing.

Either way, his
two-month-long
hesitation did not end well for Law.

Squishy3

It's just Toei-brand padding. In the manga it didn't constantly flash from the other characters to show Bellamy bouncing around for a couple of minutes yelling at Luffy to fight him.

BatDan

Here's how it happened in the manga:
Bellamy distracts Luffy with his Spring Hopper move, Luffy tells him to stop, Bellamy Haki-punches him, and it cuts away. We don't see Luffy and Bellamy for several chapters after that.
Next time we see them, Bellamy is knocked out and Luffy's fist is bloddied. We then flashback to what transpired.

The anime constantly showing the fight was terrible padding. You'll even notice they say the same things over and over.

This is another reason we need One Piece Kai, or a remake.

Squishy3

Here's how it happened in the manga:
Bellamy distracts Luffy with his Spring Hopper move, Luffy tells him to stop, Bellamy Haki-punches him, and it cuts away. We don't see Luffy and Bellamy for several chapters after that.
Next time we see them, Bellamy is knocked out and Luffy's fist is bloddied. We then flashback to what transpired.

The anime constantly showing the fight was terrible padding. You'll even notice they say the same things over and over.

This is another reason we need One Piece Kai, or a remake.
Well effectively that's what the "Episode of _____" are. Since there's the Episode of Luffy, Episode of Nami, etc. Even Episode of Alabasta which has new cuts for the Crocodile/Luffy fight. If they eventually do every arc in that format that'd be pretty good.

BatDan

Jeez, this episode took 6 minutes to get started.

You know the One Pace project? There's a similar projects going on where instead of combining episodes, it simply takes a single episode and cuts out all the filler and padding. As well as the opening. They last about 10-12 minutes now.

The_Descolada

Neo Member
Yeah I have to say it's getting a little ridiculous...apparently they opted to draw things out more recently instead of putting in filler to keep the anime far enough behind the manga so the production quality doesn't tank like it did right after the Fishman Island Arc.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah I have to say it's getting a little ridiculous...apparently they opted to draw things out more recently instead of putting in filler to keep the anime far enough behind the manga so the production quality doesn't tank like it did right after the Fishman Island Arc.

They really need to take a seasonal approach to these long running shows. 13 episodes in the summer, 13 in the winter. They'd easily be leaving enough room to pace it properly if they did that.

Squishy3

They really need to take a seasonal approach to these long running shows. 13 episodes in the summer, 13 in the winter. They'd easily be leaving enough room to pace it properly if they did that.
And the only reason it's even a problem is because Toei produces like 6 different shows at once, if all they produced was One Piece it wouldn't be nearly as bad as it is. Gotta keep that merchandise train going, I guess.

I still don't understand why this doesn't happen. It doesn't even have to be an exact summer/winter split, but just take a break from the every-week format for a while to get much higher quality episodes. People would enjoy the show way more and they could build a merchandising schedule around the start of each season.

Zolo

Because One Piece is like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed. Sure. They could spend more time to build better quality, but it's more profitable to release them in a weekly/yearly format with good enough quality.

One Piece is also more of a family show meant to be a 'watch once a week' deal than a hardcore fan who cares more about animation quality.

Squalor

Ha, Luffy used Bellamy's attack.

This is a huge disadvantage for him in having to go against Doflamingo and Trebol, whose powers still make no sense.

How can he make his mucus explode?

EMT0

Banned
Ha, Luffy used Bellamy's attack.

This is a huge disadvantage for him in having to go against Doflamingo and Trebol, whose powers still make no sense.

How can he make his mucus explode?

Beneath all the mucus is the hidden body of Mr.5

RANT MODE:

I have never watched anything in any medium with as much filler and pacing issues as the OP anime. I am a big fan of the manga, and have been catching up on the anime. They do a good job capturing the ambiance and vibrancy that OP has going for it...but they fuck up the content. To be fair, Oda messed up a bit in my opinion with how he structured Dressrosa. But the anime fucked a lot up. The Bellamy filler was atrocious, the constant cuts to the fights without any progress was shit. Luffy is dumb in many ways obviously, but the anime makes him very annoying at some points, and his interactions with Bellamy were straight up idiocy.

It is obvious the company producing the anime are pretty cynical, as the quality of the animation (particularly the amount of movement in a scene) is often pretty pathetic, and the amount of repitition is also damn high. I watch it because I am a big One Piece fan, and the canon content, they do well. But boy do they add a ton of crap and fuck up the pacing.

Nightbird

One Piece moves forward with the story each episode. It's at a snail pace, but it goes forward.

Naruto on the other hand, has been frozen in time. There is not even a pacing anymore.

Squishy3

Yeah, like, One Piece, the episode doesn't even start until nearly 7 minutes in and the actual runtime is 18 minutes. Less if you count the times they flash back to events that just happened.

One Piece moves forward with the story each episode. It's at a snail pace, but it goes forward.

Naruto on the other hand, has been frozen in time. There is not even a pacing anymore.

The thing about filler is you can just choose not to watch it and treat it as though the series is on break until it ends with no real loss

Episode 722

Okay that was a really cool episode. I didnt even remember.

when Traffy just came up with that Knife suddenly when Luffy ducked, jumped out my seat and shouted for joy. Im glad I had skimmed this chapter so I could be surprised by the anime.
/

Magwik

Banned
Episode 722

Okay that was a really cool episode. I didnt even remember.

when Traffy just came up with that Knife suddenly when Luffy ducked, jumped out my seat and shouted for joy. Im glad I had skimmed this chapter so I could be surprised by the anime.
/

Dat gamma knife <3
Also Doffy is like an over powered video game boss. It takes an NPC to do something special and knock down his shields so he can realistically fought.

Good episode, but once again the beginning really dragged on. The animation leading up to
Law's Gamma Knife
made it worth it though.

Top Bottom