• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Doffy said it takes the birdcage ~1 hour to collapse... that means only 3 more episodes to go, wow!

:p

oh and Trebol just watching his boss getting tag-teamed?

btw. is or will there be an explanation for how Doffy can be so strong? It seems so effortless and he doesn't seem like the type to undergo years of hard training. Rather the opposite actually as his shtick is arranging things behind the scenes.

I guess one could see him as not actually a skilled fighter but having super powerful haki due to his strong will + years and years of perfecting his DF ability.

marmoka

Banned
I hope this is over soon, I'm really tired of Dressrosa. And I'm very hyped for the next chapter at the same time. At least we can keep calm because it is over in the manga. Probably next arc by April?

Squalor

Damn, this next episode is going to be fantastic.

That was a pretty sick plan by Law.

That gamma knife is no joke. Of course Doflamingo gets up, though, because reasons.

Dugna

I've been dreading the shrinking bird cage for ages. Truly the Namek-exploding-in-five-minutes of One Piece.

The more annoying part about this compared to namek is that we can actually tell the distance the bird cage has to go before it reaches the center, unlike with Namek where it was just explosions everywhere most of the time and only a few ques of time actually passing happened.

Squalor

The more annoying part about this compared to namek is that we can actually tell the distance the bird cage has to go before it reaches the center, unlike with Namek where it was just explosions everywhere most of the time and only a few ques of time actually passing happened.
One Piece has always sucked with scale.

Luffy running across Marineford.

Pica walking to the King's Plateau (which really made no sense since the golem he re-inhabited was already right in front of the plateau).

Et cetera. Et cetera.

Squishy3

One Piece Star Wars art

news_xlarge_onepiece_sw.jpg

marmoka

Banned
After watching this episode,
it looks like the fight against Doflaming will never end. The next one seems kinda boring as well, that's what the preview made me think.

Raxus

After watching this episode,
it looks like the fight against Doflaming will never end. The next one seems kinda boring as well, that's what the preview made me think.

It picks up after a certain point but yeah it dragged in the manga a bit so it is going to REALLY drag in anime.

Moaradin

How was this episode anyways? I remember the preview looking really well animated, but hardly anyone has talked about it so far lol. Haven't had time to watch it.

Squishy3

Where's the Nebulandia episode? Aren't Funimation and Crunchyroll simulcasting it?

It's a bit too flashy for me, but I liked the portrayal in the anime. Especially the black and red colors.
Crunchyroll announced plans to stream the latest One Piece anime special, Adventure of Nebulandia this weekend. An exact launch time has yet to be confirmed, but the special will be available in the same territories as the regular One Piece anime series.

So I guess it's sometime today or maybe tomorrow?

Squalor

I watched that One-Punch Man finale right before this episode.

What a fucking mistake that was.

This One Piece episode was a complete bore and snore following the action, animation quality, pace, and style of One-Punch Man.

Cwarrior

This One Piece episode was a complete bore and snore following the action, animation quality, pace, and style of One-Punch Man.

I like one punch man & love godhouse but two are not even comparable

One punch man is gag comedy shounen about an invincible superhero who defeat weekly monster in one punch, it never tries to be serious action show and never tries to tell a story more then just simple

Comparing One piece and One punch man is like comparing Menace II Society(one piece) to Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood (one punch man).

You can't go into two different shows with different production schedules and processes with the exact same expectations. You'll always be underwhelmed.

Squalor

I like one punch man & love godhouse but two are not even comparable

One punch man is gag comedy shounen about an invincible superhero who defeat weekly monster in one punch, it never tries to be serious action show and never tries to tell a story more then just simple

Comparing One piece and One punch man is like comparing Menace II Society(one piece) to Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood (one punch man).
You can't go into two different shows with different production schedules and processes with the exact same expectations. You'll always be underwhelmed.
I wasn't comparing the shows overall. I compared one show's fight with another show's fight, which people do all the fucking time.

Yes, I can compare these two things. Yes, One Piece's was garbage following the former's.

Dugna

How was the foxy special? Nobody talked about it lol

Combat was decent, the villian was ok and some of the animation was middle ground. Thats about it, I mean its nice if you really want something One Piece to watch for the holidays but thats about it. Will say it made Foxy a way more likeable character in ways.

How was the foxy special? Nobody talked about it lol

Liked:
- they stopped very early with that Davy Back fight nonsense.
- they nicely demonstrated the character and power weaknesses/strengths (or how to exploit them) of most of the Strawhats. Might actually work as a standalone thing to get someone up to speed on the crew.
- some neat lore and backstory (although Luffy is really bad at countering why pirates are not bad :p ), like the villain being an outspoken opponent of the Warlords policy.

meh:
- while they
tricked the main villain in the end
, I would have preferred if Brook and Chopper
actually had been captured, but on purpose to smuggle the mushroom to Zoro & Sanji right when everything seemed lost
. They are beasts and especially Zoro should have gone berserk on the whole island.
- not sure if I like that the main villain is also very powerful. Sure, they mentioned that Luffy was still weakened (they could at least have used the island to restrict him) but he's just a vice admiral after all...

Overall I enjoyed it, even with the weaker last act. Though one of the main reasons was that you finally get to see the full crew doing stuff again. Timeline should place it after Z but before Punk Hazard, right?

Moaradin

Foxy special was a lot better than I thought it would be. Focused a lot more on the "weak" Strawhats which is nice. Nami straight up saved the day multiple times lol. Nice to have some focus on these characters for a change. If you aren't the big 3 and sometimes Usopp you're getting the shaft 90% of the time.

Moaradin

So it's finally coming huh? Sadly, I was spoiled on what it was since it's impossible to avoid any major spoilers for One Piece unless you're caught up with the manga, but still excited regardless. Don't know anything about it other than the name.

Dugna

So it's finally coming huh? Sadly, I was spoiled on what it was since it's impossible to avoid any major spoilers for One Piece unless you're caught up with the manga, but still excited regardless. Don't know anything about it other than the name.

Didn't help that even video game websites were spoiling the reveal for anime watchers with the announcement of Burning Blood news.

marmoka

Banned
I loved this chapter, nearly no flashbacks at all, not so many people running,... It wasn't a slow chapter, I didn't get bored today, as I got in the previous ones.

Even if I am reading the comic as well and already knows what happens next, I'm very hyped right now you know what.

Squalor

Holy. Fucking. Shit. Gear Fourth? Finally? The legends and speculations have been true.

Holy. Fucking. Shit. So fucking pumped. It looks incredible.
I've actually managed not to get spoiled on it. I still have no idea what it looks like.

Magwik

Banned
Holy. Fucking. Shit. Gear Fourth? Finally? The legends and speculations have been true.

Holy. Fucking. Shit. So fucking pumped. It looks incredible.

I've actually managed not to get spoiled on it. I still have no idea what it looks like.
You're going to have a great time next week then ;)

Mikey Jr.

So I FINALLY caught up on one piece. Bought crunchy roll premium on Christmas Eve, and just watched the start of punk hazard until the latest episode.

Man, can you drag out an arc even more oda? Dresserosa started off well with the tournament, but there were whole episodes I had almost on full fast forward. Also, there were episodes that took straight up 7 minutes to start. 7 mother fucking minutes. I find it funny the anime finds this constant need to literally recap the entire premise of one piece every episode.

Anyways, bad luck that I end on the episode that I did. Shit looks crazy.

So I FINALLY caught up on one piece. Bought crunchy roll premium on Christmas Eve, and just watched the start of punk hazard until the latest episode.

Man, can you drag out an arc even more oda? Dresserosa started off well with the tournament, but there were whole episodes I had almost on full fast forward. Also, there were episodes that took straight up 7 minutes to start. 7 mother fucking minutes. I find it funny the anime finds this constant need to literally recap the entire premise of one piece every episode.

Anyways, bad luck that I end on the episode that I did. Shit looks crazy.

Don't blame it all on Oda, it's not his fault they're doing 1 episode per chapter pacing, despite a weekly chapter being much shorter than a 30 minute episode

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ohh wow, that is closer than I thought. I wouldn't be surprised after this arc we get a couple months worth of filler, lol.

There's actually a decent opportunity to place filler if they're willing to take it.
The Straw Hats spend some time with Bartolomeo and his crew before parting ways at Zou. They could use this time to have an adventure. Though I get the feeling they won't do it so they can bring back Chopper, Nami, and Brook faster, also introduce the Minks for the furry money

Top Bottom