• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I do wish Viz would stop this "Zolo" shit so I could buy their manga. Granted, that's not the only problem I have with their translation, but it's the most prevalent. They claim they'll do a special edition with a much more accurate translation if it either sells extremely well (*looks at rankings and sighs*) or the series ends.

... Fine. I'll buy it but I won't read it.

I do wish Viz would stop this "Zolo" shit so I could buy their manga. Granted, that's not the only problem I have with their translation, but it's the most prevalent. They claim they'll do a special edition with a much more accurate translation if it either sells extremely well (*looks at rankings and sighs*) or the series ends.

... Fine. I'll buy it but I won't read it.

Who would actually wait around for Viz to do a special edition. By the time that happens they may fully be a digital manga only company or something. I just never understood why their translater is so set on Zolo or at least, why Oda never told them "the name is Zoro," other translators seem to get the actual eng names from the manga writers...

Id rather they focus on bringing out the artbooks and databooks, Im ready for Colorwalk 3.

It is really annoying. I have big clumps of the OP manga but I still haven't completed my collection because the Zolo thing just really bothers me. So do the little things like Portgaz as well.

BatDan

It is really annoying. I have big clumps of the OP manga but I still haven't completed my collection because the Zolo thing just really bothers me. So do the little things like Portgaz as well.

What I don't like is how the Funimation simulcast is forced to use some of those terms. They managed to avoid "Zolo" but there's still "Portgaz" and Chopper's "Boosts" instead of Points.

Kyuur

What I don't like is how the Funimation simulcast is forced to use some of those terms. They managed to avoid "Zolo" but there's still "Portgaz" and Chopper's "Boosts" instead of Points.

This is funny because you hear Chopper say 'Point' as they translate it to 'Boost'. It makes no sense!

Episode 563

Looks like they'll be doing stuff in a different order than the manga... which is fine. I just hope they keep an episode the exact same as 'Frog'.

deduce

Exactly. If he was a "lost prince" then that would fucking stupid. It wouldn't make sense considering everything that was built up before it.

I'll never get the hate for that revelation.
"I know who Hordy is!"
"He's a fish-men who doesn't like humans!" I think the reveal is pointless because it's already been established what kind of character Hordy is. I don't need to be reminded that he's the bad guy.

Kind of sums up this arc. It is more or less a showcase of the new strawhats
with a cool twist at the end.
I unspoilered and now I'm excited again about what this arc may have left.. :)

Firestorm

My brain just reads it as Zoro. It's really not too hard to get past. Oh and the translation is about 100x more accurate than early scanlations. Jebus they are so bad. I'll take a few names being romanized differently over the characters not even saying what they were supposed to.

What exactly don't you like about the show? What episode are you on?

At first my problem was that Luffy seemed too powerful, then they revealed that water is a problem and swords/knives are a problem and then Kuro cut him up pretty bad as well, so that fixed it. Dude is not invincible.

Then a bit later it didn't seem like the show is using all the potential it has. The universe allows for almost any kind of a story you'd want to tell, but the show kept going for "There are bad guys who should be beaten up." But then, right after I had that thought, there was the single episode story about the dude stuck in a chest and some very depressing backstory on Zoro after that. Again, that fixed it. .

The show keeps fixing everything I could possibly have a problem with. Currently the only "problem" I have left is that I don't like Usopp very much, but considering what the show has done so far I fully expect to love him soon enough.

Uchip

Banned
so basically hordy is the equivalent of a
Fishman KKK
?
its better than having a sob story where humans did something to him imo

I pronounce Luffy as Ruffy due to the fact that on German dub that was his name.

Wiseblade

"I know who Hordy is!"
"He's a fish-men who doesn't like humans!" I think the reveal is pointless because it's already been established what kind of character Hordy is. I don't need to be reminded that he's the bad guy.

I unspoilered and now I'm excited again about what this arc may have left.. :)

Depending on what you consider a "twist" there are anywhere up to four at the end of this arc.

Just watched Luffy beat up Don Krieg and this comment from earlier...

To be fair, Luffy is pretty much invincible for all of the East Blue saga. But that's kind of the point, to serve as a contrast to the craziness of the Grand Line.

...seems pretty impossible to me at the moment. If this is the lighthearted part of happiness, I can't even imagine the horror that the Grand Line must be.

I think what people are missing about Hordy is that
During the arc we were given context for why Arlong and his pirates were "evil". While Arlong was depicted as a bad apple from the star, it was possible he could have changed... until Tiger was betrayed and murdered by humans. Combine that the rest of his pirates being former slaves it makes sense they'd lash out against humans the way they did. Hordy by comparison has no reason to be evil, which ties in better with the plot of FI as a whole. Hordy and the new fishman pirates were exactly what the royal family was trying to prevent, the foil is shown in the kids who want to stay and believe in the Strawhats, those kids without the actions of Otohime/royal family they could have become Hordy/Arlong's themselves.

Enjoyed this weeks episode, the smugness of Hody is really captured well during his "reveal"

Wiseblade

Just watched Luffy beat up Don Krieg and this comment from earlier...

...seems pretty impossible to me at the moment. If this is the lighthearted part of happiness, I can't even imagine the horror that the Grand Line must be.

The Baratie arc is the most blatant about hyping up the Grand Line. Having Mihawk deliver a one-sided beatdown on Zoro with a toothpick and Don "King of East Blue" Krieg getting chewed out in a week are obvious "You haven't seen anything yet!" statements to the audience.

One Piece special edition 1
A2ZIn2MCAAAEY7R.png:large

Actually my first time hearing it in the JPN, on my dvd's I always just default to eng dub, We Are will always sound strange not in english. Anyway it seemed being in High Resolution makes lots of scenes look a bit more crisp and clear, but then it makes it easy to spot out all these moments where they seem to have smeared characters faces, it was odd.

BatDan

so basically hordy is the equivalent of a
Fishman KKK
?
its better than having a sob story where humans did something to him imo

Just wait,
an upcoming episode shows that comparison is pretty fucking apt. A flash back of the NFP wearing masks over their faces while they kill a fishman that donated blood to a human and burn down his house.

Diablos54

The Baratie arc is the most blatant about hyping up the Grand Line. Having Mihawk deliver a one-sided beatdown on Zoro with a toothpick and Don "King of East Blue" Krieg getting chewed out in a week are obvious "You haven't seen anything yet!" statements to the audience.
Which is sorta what's been happening since Impel Down, all building up to the New World.

deduce

I think what people are missing about Hordy is that
During the arc we were given context for why Arlong and his pirates were "evil". While Arlong was depicted as a bad apple from the star, it was possible he could have changed... until Tiger was betrayed and murdered by humans. Combine that the rest of his pirates being former slaves it makes sense they'd lash out against humans the way they did. Hordy by comparison has no reason to be evil, which ties in better with the plot of FI as a whole. Hordy and the new fishman pirates were exactly what the royal family was trying to prevent, the foil is shown in the kids who want to stay and believe in the Strawhats, those kids without the actions of Otohime/royal family they could have become Hordy/Arlong's themselves.

Enjoyed this weeks episode, the smugness of Hody is really captured well during his "reveal"
Except Alrong was depicted as someone who hates humans but cares for fish-men and Hordy was seen to have no sympathy for either. Because the two had been already contrasted earlier in the arc, the reveal seemed needless. I get that it ties into how Otohime was trying to stop the blind hatred, but revealing Hordy was Hordy wasn't necessary and left me hoping for some kind of twist since this arc has been kinda stale. That said, I hope Decken makes a return since he is an interesting, crazy and humorous character.

Rewatching the Zoro Mihawk fight, so good. His original Japanese voice really suited his character. RIP Takeshi Aono (Roy Campbell in MGS aswel)

That Bellemere backstory, man. That was way more messed up than I expected it to be, and I expected it to go pretty bad based on the fact that the other flashback episodes so far have been sad as well.

On the bright side, getting to the part where Luffy beats the shit out of Arlong is gonna be real satisfying.

Actually was a good episode in my opinion. I liked seeing how Luffy fought underwater and although it is a challenge for him, I like how he is fighting. Cant wait to see the next episode.

Diablos54

That Bellemere backstory, man. That was way more messed up than I expected it to be, and I expected it to go pretty bad based on the fact that the other flashback episodes so far have been sad as well.

On the bright side, getting to the part where Luffy beats the shit out of Arlong is gonna be real satisfying.
Keep going. You ain't seen nothing yet... :D

Mr. Fix

You are officially hooked on OP. Enjoy the ride, breh.

yami4ct

Speaking about character's pasts, I just got done with Robin's. Holy crap. An amazing piece of story telling. Not only has it given her some much needed character motivation, it expands the One Piece world in a meaningful way. Also, god dang it's super sad.

Korosenai

Speaking about character's pasts, I just got done with Robin's. Holy crap. An amazing piece of story telling. Not only has it given her some much needed character motivation, it expands the One Piece world in a meaningful way. Also, god dang it's super sad.
Before Robins backstory I really didnt care for her (just thought she was kind of there and had a cool devil fruit ability). After her backstory, I really liked her as a character. And like you said, it was really sad.

Also, Brooks back story is sad as well. I almost shed some tears.

Before Robins backstory I really didnt care for her (just thought she was kind of there and had a cool devil fruit ability). After her backstory, I really liked her as a character. And like you said, it was really sad.

Also, Brooks back story is sad as well. I almost shed some tears.

There stories were so sad it made me cry my eyes out

Oh

But I don't have any eyes

SKULL JOOOOOKE!

I think Sanji, Robin, and Zoro had my favorite backstories, but the best one of All is Luffys.

yami4ct

I'm most of the way through the Enies Lobby arc now and holy crap it's amazing. Every episode brings pure insanity in the most hilarious way possible. I don't think I've laughed as much at a show as I have in this arc. Holy crap are the battles super thrilling. My One Piece addiction has really hit its stride now. I cannot stop watching.

Also, elephant sword.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
They...they plan on explaining the lightning bolt that saved Luffy in Loguetown, right?

Its been semi-explained. The individual is known now, but the powers that made it happen a mystery. One thing you dont have to worry with One Piece is on things not being explained. Oda does a masterful job with even the smallest shred of a thing you forgot 300 episodes ago.

One tip for anime only watchers is to find somewhere on the intertrons where you can read all the Title Page splashes from the manga. Theres often a fair bit of important info in there that the animators keep foolishly deciding not to turn into one-off filler episodes.

upandaway

One tip for anime only watchers is to find somewhere on the intertrons where you can read all the Title Page splashes from the manga. Theres often a fair bit of important info in there that the animators keep foolishly deciding not to turn into one-off filler episodes.
They're all compiled neatly in the data books, too (if you have access to those). Even for manga readers, it's not always easy to follow them because they're one panel per week, so it's always nice to read them in bulk.

Its been semi-explained. The individual is known now, but the powers that made it happen a mystery. One thing you dont have to worry with One Piece is on things not being explained. Oda does a masterful job with even the smallest shred of a thing you forgot 300 episodes ago.

You would want an entire episode dedicated to just showcasing the Straw Hats doing the random scenes that viewers wrote in at times to Oda to see their characters doing?

I think only a few would really make for interesting episodes, otherwise, their just nice artworks.

Maedhros

Holy shit... the anime is getting worse and worse every fucking episode. I was almost diying of rage while watching the two latest episodes. Where the fuck is the blood when they get cut? And even worse: where are the cuts that remains there after the cuts?

God, it's ridiculous how much worse this anime got after Shaobondy Archipelago...

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
You would want an entire episode dedicated to just showcasing the Straw Hats doing the random scenes that viewers wrote in at times to Oda to see their characters doing?

I think only a few would really make for interesting episodes, otherwise, their just nice artworks.

No, not those you clutz. All the canon stuff on the side characters and where old villains end up. Theres stuff thats specifically come back into the main story making them pretty important side-stories that just dont exist in the anime. Hachi's side story is one, and can't help but think all the crazy shit Enel gets up to on the goddam moon is going to have some Vegapunk relevance.

upandaway

No, not those you clutz. All the canon stuff on the side characters and where old villains end up. Theres stuff thats specifically come back into the main story making them pretty important side-stories that just dont exist in the anime. Hachi's side story is one, and can't help but think all the crazy shit Enel gets up to on the goddam moon is going to have some Vegapunk relevance.
There's also the Baroque Works story that explains how Mr. 1, 2, 3 ended up in Impel Down I think. They skipped that one.

Top Bottom