• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
There's also the Baroque Works story that explains how Mr. 1, 2, 3 ended up in Impel Down I think. They skipped that one.

The only cover stories they showed were Buggy's adventure without his body and Coby & Helmeppo's life as Marines. As well as the Straw Hat one.

There's a lot they skipped like:
Jango's Dance Paradise (showing how he ended up in the Marines and why Fullbody was demoted)
Hatchan's Sea Floor Stroll (showing how he escaped, met Camie and Pappagu and ended up as a Takoyaki salesman)
Wapol's Omnivious Hurrah (showing that Wapol regained his fortune, has yet to reappear in the main plot so it can be skipped)
Ace's Great Blackbeard Search (a funny adventure with Ace, can be easily skipped)
Gedatsu's Accidental Blue Sea Life (a funny adventure with Gedatsu becoming the owner for a bathhouse after falling from Upper Yard, might be important later but might not)
Miss Goldenweek's Operation "Meet Baroque Works" (this is the one you mentioned, and it's unfortunate that it was skipped)
Eneru's Great Space Operations (shows what Eneru is doing on the moon, sounds very important later down the line)
CP9's Independent Report (shows that CP9 changed sides, sounds very important)

I doubt "From the Decks of the World" or the current cover story arc about
Caribou
will get animated either.

Speaking about character's pasts, I just got done with Robin's. Holy crap. An amazing piece of story telling. Not only has it given her some much needed character motivation, it expands the One Piece world in a meaningful way. Also, god dang it's super sad.

I love all of their backstories; they're deep, emotional and expose weaknesses that everyone can relate to. I used to despise Robin, but her back-story and development changed my mind. After hating her for YEARS, I slowly began to accept her as part of the crew. It's awesome! It's hard to change someone's mind when it's all made-up, but man -- when it happens -- it ensures a much deeper respect for the writer, his character(s) and his craft.

Nami's arc will always be a soft-spot for me, though. I love what she does (navigatrix), how she interacts with everyone, and that she has more than glaringly obvious flaw. There's a ton more, but aside from Luffy (who is kind of in a league of his own), she is my favorite. A little bit fan service-y, but I still love her <3 :)

317999.jpg

deduce

If you're referring to that attack, that's next time.
Man, Hody's flashback was creepy.
I liked how Hordy and his gang were just sitting at a bar drinking and talking about fallen heroes like Fisher Tiger and he's like "I can be that guy!"
I appreciate Hordy as a villain more now after that flashback.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Was that weird voice talking to Hordy in the flashback just a distorted Arlong? Or a theoretical voice embodying the fishmen's history? Or was it actually some yet-unveiled character?

Great episode, honestly the anime helps give the Hordy reveal a lot more impact then it had in the manga. Zoro being awesome and some pretty funny scenes with Chopper and Franky.

BatDan

Was that weird voice talking to Hordy in the flashback just a distorted Arlong? Or a theoretical voice embodying the fishmen's history? Or was it actually some yet-unveiled character?

I think a combination of both. That part didn't happen in the manga.
Of course, despite this backstory showing why Hody is the racist schmuck he is, there are still people that claim he's pointless, lame, and take that "empty" line too literally. Then again, these people probably still use "nakama" so what do I know?

Also, Chopper clearly says "Heavy Point" in English, but the subtitles say "Weight Boost". Seriously? Using "Boost" before was bad, but now both words are wrong!

Maron

Oh man, I havent read One Piece since Enis Lobby and watched since Skypeia. How are the Funi DVD's?

The DVDs are great. I definitely recommend getting the Collections if you haven't already. 26 episodes for about 20 bucks. Right now they just finished releasing most of the Davy Back Fight arc and the first Water 7 episodes will be released later this year.

Speaking of which, Season Four: Voyage Three is now up for pre-order on both Amazon and RightStuf. It'll be out on December 18 and we'll finally be watching Water 7!

deduce

I think a combination of both. That part didn't happen in the manga.
Of course, despite this backstory showing why Hody is the racist schmuck he is, there are still people that claim he's pointless, lame, and take that "empty" line too literally. Then again, these people probably still use "nakama" so what do I know?
I still think the reveal was pointless because it didn't reveal anything about Hordy's character that wasn't already known. I do think it would have been better to follow the "empty" quote with Hordy's flashback from the current episode. Could have given the line a bit more impact.

At this point in the arc, I just enjoy watching the Strawhats trying out their new moves.

SykoTech

so basically hordy is the equivalent of a
Fishman KKK
?

Heh. After watching this week's episode, I don't think you could have nailed it any harder.

Haven't really cared for Hordy or any of the villains in this arc so far, but that flashback made me like him a lot more. Though I'm a bit confused. Maybe I misinterpreted something, but I could have sworn that there was an episode earlier showing Hordy trying to rescue one of his friends from being captured by a human, which led to him meeting Arlong. Now it seems like he was just an empty shell who latched onto the hatred that was surrounding him. Personally, I think that makes a better (and creepier) back story for him.

Based on the posts here, I guess some ass-kicking will go down next week. Finally!

BatDan

Heh. After watching this week's episode, I don't think you could have nailed it any harder.

Haven't really cared for Hordy or any of the villains in this arc so far, but that flashback made me like him a lot more. Though I'm a bit confused. Maybe I misinterpreted something, but I could have sworn that there was an episode earlier showing Hordy trying to rescue one of his friends from being captured by a human, which led to him meeting Arlong. Now it seems like he was just an empty shell who latched onto the hatred that was surrounding him. Personally, I think that makes a better (and creepier) back story for him.

Based on the posts here, I guess some ass-kicking will go down next week. Finally!

Filler scene added for the anime. Never happened in the manga.

Steroyd

I still think the reveal was pointless because it didn't reveal anything about Hordy's character that wasn't already known. I do think it would have been better to follow the "empty" quote with Hordy's flashback from the current episode. Could have given the line a bit more impact.

What the reveal does, is smother out the notion that there is a "reason" in his past to justify all his actions up until now. To put simply it was either this or something like his parents getting killed by humans when he was young.

I have just watched up to the Time Skip and I have to say. Wow.
Seriously, love this show but so many episodes.
So so many.
I'll probably give One Piece a rest for another month or two before jumping back into the anime, it's not going anywhere, I don't think it will ever end.

Just wanted to say that tis enjoyable.

The DVDs are great. I definitely recommend getting the Collections if you haven't already. 26 episodes for about 20 bucks. Right now they just finished releasing most of the Davy Back Fight arc and the first Water 7 episodes will be released later this year.

Speaking of which, Season Four: Voyage Three is now up for pre-order on both Amazon and RightStuf. It'll be out on December 18 and we'll finally be watching Water 7!

Thanks for that, I didnt know ti was up for preorder on amzn yet, preordered.

Hody is....expressions of lots of straw hats...Hody is...expressions of everyone else

That was an awkward way to extend such a pointless announcement. Anyway, Sanji was funny.

yami4ct

Just got to the reveal of the Thousand Sunny. Man, I really like that ship design. I was never really a fan of the Going Merry, but quite enjoy the quirky look of Sunny.

On a related note, anyone here grab any of Bandai's One Piece ship models? How are they? I can see they need a lot of paint work, but they look really neat when done up well. How big are they? I wouldn't do it soon, but I'm seriously looking at picking up a Thousand Sunny kit as a fun project to do.

KtSlime

Just got to the reveal of the Thousand Sunny. Man, I really like that ship design. I was never really a fan of the Going Merry, but quite enjoy the quirky look of Sunny.

On a related note, anyone here grab any of Bandai's One Piece ship models? How are they? I can see they need a lot of paint work, but they look really neat when done up well. How big are they? I wouldn't do it soon, but I'm seriously looking at picking up a Thousand Sunny kit as a fun project to do.

I miss Luffy riding up front, on Going Merry's figurehead. But the change is welcome, and I think it was a nice, gentle way to introduce loss to the Straw-hats.

yami4ct

I miss Luffy riding up front, on Going Merry's figurehead. But the change is welcome, and I think it was a nice, gentle way to introduce loss to the Straw-hats.

That's the one part of Merry that I did really like. I may have kind of disliked the figurehead itself, but Luffy sitting on top of it felt very adventure-y. Other than that, I'm now enjoying every aspect of the Sunny. The figurehead is adorable, the basic design is interesting and complex and you can just tell it's full of surprises. I really look forward to discovering everything the Sunny is capable of.

Korosenai

Just finished the Marineford Arc, and if there is one character that i'd love to see more of it would have to be Doflamingo.

To me, he is the most intriguing character in One Piece so far.

yami4ct

I'm part way through Thriller Bark now. Man, Brook's going to be an interesting addition. He's such a strange character, even by One Piece standards. He's going to add even more wackiness to the crew. My one worry is the fact he's also a swordsman. I fear he may kind of occupy the same kind of fights we'd see Zoro in. Might get a bit boring. Also, SKULL SHOCK!

I really appreciate how much their integrating each of the characters' particular strengths in a fight. It really makes me excited whenever a character gets in a battle. Especially Franky. All of his battles feel so different and interesting. I really love it.

I'm part way through Thriller Bark now. Man, Brook's going to be an interesting addition. He's such a strange character, even by One Piece standards. He's going to add even more wackiness to the crew. My one worry is the fact he's also a swordsman. I fear he may kind of occupy the same kind of fights we'd see Zoro in. Might get a bit boring. Also, SKULL SHOCK!

I really appreciate how much their integrating each of the characters' particular strengths in a fight. It really makes me excited whenever a character gets in a battle. Especially Franky. All of his battles feel so different and interesting. I really love it.

Don't worry Brook's musician ship skills and rapier fighting style are very different from Zoro's

Korosenai

He loves woman and dresses nice like Sanji, he's goofy like Luffy, he's a swordsman like Zoro, and he's a musician. He's basically 4 strawhats in one which make him even more awesome.

Don't worry Brook's musician ship skills and rapier fighting style are very different from Zoro's

And also this. He's unique even though he may be like some of the others.

Korosenai

Just started watching after the 2 year timeskip.

Funny how Zoro can't use his left eye, and Sanji has his right eye covered up. "How could no. 7 talk bossily to no. 1" lol

It was also cool to see Rayleigh cry when Luffy left.

SykoTech

I sure how they show how Zoro got that scar sometime. It's easy to guess that it was while training, but against the Humandrills or Hawkeye himself. Definitely want to see that moment play out.

And of course, I want to know what Robin was up to with the Revolutionaries. But I think it's pretty obvious why that hasn't been explained yet.

Why does the ending song change way more often than the opening song? I think I just saw the 5th ending and it feels like the previous one was there for like 3 episodes.

BatDan

What's interesting is that this went in a slightly different order than in the manga.

After the Red Hawk,
Luffy followed Hody onto the Noah. He tried to swallow more steroids but Luffy activated Gear Third and pummeled him with an Elephant Gun, officially defeating him. That's when it's announced he's been defeated and the New Fishman Pirates go crazy. Afterwards, the male Straw Hats curbstomp them.

SykoTech

Wow, very cool. So Luffy actually has an elemental technique and it's a fitting tribute to Ace. Good stuff. Gotta love how he uses something as basic as rubber to do so many different things.

Hordy overdosing on pills directly after an injury though....ugh. What's this, the 4th time he's done that? Hope Luffy wraps this up next episode.

Why does the ending song change way more often than the opening song? I think I just saw the 5th ending and it feels like the previous one was there for like 3 episodes.

Yeah, I was thinking that when I first starting watching too. I think it'll be like that until you reach the 5th opening.

Top Bottom