• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Korosenai

So I was looking to get either a Zoro or Chopper figure, and was browsing around, and found Portrait of Pirates (P.O.P.) and figuarts zero.

What is the difference between pop and figuarts?

I'll probably just go with the Chopper figuarts for now since i'ts only $15.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So I was looking to get either a Zoro or Chopper figure, and was browsing around, and found Portrait of Pirates (P.O.P.) and figuarts zero.

What is the difference between pop and figuarts?

I'll probably just go with the Chopper figuarts for now since i'ts only $15.

Legit Portraits of Pirates figures are pretty amazing quality. Expensive, but really nice stuff.

So thats what red hawk gets its inspiration from.....Nice.
If you look at the kanji used for the attack name, even though it uses "Red Hawk" as the pronunciation, it's written as "Hikenjuu." "Hiken" of course is Ace's main epithet (Hiken no Ace) and attack (Hiken), and the literal translation of the attack name's kanji is either "fire pistol" (hi kenjuu) or "fire fist gun" (hiken juu). A Redhawk is also a type of revolver (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Redhawk), hence the gun reference in the way the attack name is written. This fits in with Luffy's other attacks, which are primarily named for weapons, as well as the fact that it's basically an ultra version of Gomu Gomu no Bullet. So there are several puns going on at once with the attack name that tie it into both Luffy's traditional naming scheme and his tribute to Ace.

Really cool attack

images-i196964bct6zj.gif

Though I also like the enhanced Brook (ice sword!)

deduce

Zeo's speech about vengeance and Brook's counter-speech about death were great. Zeo's speech especially drove the point of how blindly hateful Hordy's crew is.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
This Saturday is an important day. It's the 5th anniversary of Funimation's One Piece premiere on Cartoon Network. Audiences were shocked and stunned when the episode opened not with the usual rap, but Vic Mignogna singing the third opening 'Towards the Light". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9gFXrAEQLo

What followed was all new voices approved by Toei and Oda himself that while kind of shaky at first, eventually came into their own on the DVD releases.

Wiseblade

This Saturday is an important day. It's the 5th anniversary of Funimation's One Piece premiere on Cartoon Network. Audiences were shocked and stunned when the episode opened not with the usual rap, but Vic Mignogna singing the third opening 'Towards the Light". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9gFXrAEQLo

What followed was all new voices approved by Toei and Oda himself that while kind of shaky at first, eventually came into their own on the DVD releases.

And in the end, it still wasn't enough to undo 4Kids' damage to the brand and keep the show on TV.

And in the end, it still wasn't enough to undo 4Kids' damage to the brand and keep the show on TV.

Simply because those who were fans of the 4kids version (vomits) were turned off by the without warning change in voices and feel of the show, and those who hated it had no idea there was a change.

BatDan

Actually, I heard ratings were doing really well. It was only cancelled due to Cartoon Network phasing out anime because they wanted to retool the channel into a Nickelodeon knock-off. We all know how that turned out.

Simply because those who were fans of the 4kids version (vomits) were turned off by the without warning change in voices and feel of the show, and those who hated it had no idea there was a change.

I get the feeling that anyone that claims to be a fan of the 4Kids version was like five years old when it started, and now they're 13 or so. They seriously need to take the nostalgia goggles off.
"It had more emotion" Are you kidding? Have you heard Vivi? She's a robot! Sanji has no emotion, his "Brooklyn accent" sounded the same during everything. Luffy did nothing but scream, even during scenes where he was supposed to talk normally.
Yes, that was an actual defense I heard for the 4Kids dub.

Wiseblade

Actually, I heard ratings were doing really well. It was only cancelled due to Cartoon Network phasing out anime because they wanted to retool the channel into a Nickelodeon knock-off. We all know how that turned out.
The way I heard it, The ratings plummeted When the Strawhats reached the Grand Line and 4Kids' editing team went into overdrive. And then Funi's dub never brought the viewers back.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry for the negativity, but I have a question: Is there a hard point cut-off when, if you're not sold, the series really isn't for you? A bunch of friends have tried to get me into the series but every time I say I'm not really feeling it they go 'Well, okay, but the next arc is where it really gets going', which I'm starting to think is some kind of elaborate trolling on their part.

Sorry for the negativity, but I have a question: Is there a hard point cut-off when, if you're not sold, the series really isn't for you? A bunch of friends have tried to get me into the series but every time I say I'm not really feeling it they go 'Well, okay, but the next arc is where it really gets going', which I'm starting to think is some kind of elaborate trolling on their part.

Well, how far have you gotten so far?

upandaway

You could tell us where you are and what you don't like to get better advice. Generally Arlong Park is the place people will tell you about though.

BatDan

What is the difference between the collections and the separate season / voyages?

The Voyages contain around 12-13 episodes and are released first.
The Collections combine two of the voyages into one. For example, Collection One contains Season 1 Voyage 1 and 2, Collection Two has Season 1 Voyage 3 and 4, and so on and so on.

There are 17 Voyages total (Four for Season One, seven for Season Two, five for Season Three, and so far one for Season Four, with two more set to come out) and 8 Collections. At this point, it's recommended to get the Collections as some of the early Voyages are out of print and very expensive.

Panzon

Just watch the saobondy archipelago arc and if that doesn't do it for you, then that's confirmation the series is not for you

Korosenai

The Voyages contain around 12-13 episodes and are released first.
The Collections combine two of the voyages into one. For example, Collection One contains Season 1 Voyage 1 and 2, Collection Two has Season 1 Voyage 3 and 4, and so on and so on.

There are 17 Voyages total (Four for Season One, seven for Season Two, five for Season Three, and so far one for Season Four, with two more set to come out) and 8 Collections. At this point, it's recommended to get the Collections as some of the early Voyages are out of print and very expensive.

Thanks for the info.

I'm almost caught up in the series, but I just wanted to own the first season. I also prefer subbed over dubbed, so it looks like Collection 1 and 2 will be perfect for me.

Mr. Fix

Depends, where are you currently at? For most I'd say up until the end of Nami's/Arlong arc, maybe up until the end of Chopper's arc. You could always jump to Water 7 (DA BESS arc) and watch that (my friend skipped Sky Island), but without context, specifically getting a good feel for the crew and their interactions, it'll fall flat.

I don't want to be another "stick with it" people, but stick with it. One Piece is a lot like Trigun, it at times can be very frustrating in the early parts, but it's all building to really big pay offs in alabasta, water 7, enies lobby, sabody, and marineford arcs. You could just skip to the amazing parts, but they lose their amazing factor because you haven't seen the slow and subtle build towards them.

While I agree that it picks up a bit at Arlong, the first really solid arc is Alabasta. If you get through the Alabasta arc and aren't into it, I'd give up there. The series really does build off itself and gets the richer for it which is why you hear give it more time so often, but I'd say if you can't appreciate a well done arc, it's just not your cup of tea.

Korosenai

Finally caught up in One Piece. Took me about two and a half months.

I'm actually excited now to wait a week to watch new episodes. Everything I watch now will be completely new to me.

I used to go to the wiki to look at information, and sometimes i'd spoil major plot events (ex. I pretty much knew the ending to Marineford arc at the start of the Alabasta arc just buy looking at one characters wiki). Now this won't really be an issue (though I could still be spoiled by the manga) because if I do spoil myself it'll only be like 30 episodes ahead of where i'm at instead of 300.

Well anyways, watching the show for the first time and catching up was an awesome experience. I love this show!

No joke, I find One Piece boring as all hell until Mihawk shows up.

It makes sense, up til that point nothing has really been a challenge for Luffy and co and nothing has even remotely seemed threatening. With Mihawk and Don Krieg's crew talking about how he basically one shot their fleet you start to realize how dangerous of a place the Grand Line really is.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I read/watched (mostly read, I doubt I'd have stuck this far if I'd had to spend so many hours on half an hour episodes) up to the end of Alabasta. I guess it's just not for me. Thanks for all your replies!

Diablos54

I read/watched (mostly read, I doubt I'd have stuck this far if I'd had to spend so many hours on half an hour episodes) up to the end of Alabasta. I guess it's just not for me. Thanks for all your replies!
YOU SUCK!!

I joke, not everyone has to like OP. It does help, though. :p

One piece became my favorite manga right after we meet sanji. Mihawk entrance was fucking amazing.

Sanji and Zoro really make One Piece something special, though I think for me it wasnt until alabasta that I was sold on the series, terrible that it spiraled downhill during Skypeia, though thankfully picked back up to epic proportions at Marineford and the small arc right thereafter.

yami4ct

Just finished Brook's backstory. Wow. Even though I knew what was coming, that final song really hit me hard. So freaking sad. Damn you, One Piece. You're supposed to be a happy show!

Mr. Fix

S'all good. If you ever do feel like picking it up again, starting at Water 7 (ep. 227) would be perfect for you.

KtSlime

S'all good. If you ever do feel like picking it up again, starting at Water 7 (ep. 227) would be perfect for you.

I'd start at 220. Not only is that mini-arch one of my favorites, but it does a good job of summarizing the characters and why they are together in a fun way.

Mumei

Last time I told Mumei that my house was suddenly infested with wasps Coincidence, I don't think!

It's true. Everyone has to like OP.

Now I have to run from this thread before I am spoiled; I am ~90 chapters and around as many episodes behind on both the anime and the manga!

did whitebeard fuck everybody up? I think he totally would have if it wasn't for squard.

Well when you do get to play as him in the final mission he is pretty wreck, you can hit R1 to do a charge tremor tremor attack, or r2 to just blast away and stun every enemy with conquerors haki. Everyone one of his combos hits a massive area and does tons of damage.

Nah what happens is
Luffy starts to glow gold and can now land his punches on Akainu, he chases him to a giant flaming hand in the sky that you fight on. When you beat him Luffy does a double gear 3rd and attacks with elephant Gatling gun, Akainu is surprised to see Luffy's punches are on fire and sees the spirit of ace flying along side Luffy giving him power. After that it goes back to normal with Ace dying in Luffy's arms

BatDan

Like I said a few days ago, Happy 5th Anniversary Funimation. Whether people like your stuff or not, it doesn't matter. You gave us an awesome dub, and legal ways to get One Piece on DVD.

I await the day you surpass Kaizoku-Fansubs, and their obsession with "nakama". It's called synonyms people, just use a different word to describe the situation.

Not to be a little offtopic or anything, but how did you get the alt Marineford ending in the game, Bass? Do you need to do Another Log or something first?

Top Bottom