• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One small step for IGN, one giant leap for videogames journalism

legend166

And by journalism, I mean 'horrible fanboy rantings that IGN are actually charging people money for.'

IGN

AutoLockon: How Wii Wins

Nintendo's not winning the console war and the Wii itself is to blame.

by Rus McLaughlin

The Wii's a fad. The Wii is a fad. The. Wii. Is. A. FAD.

I just love saying that. I don't really think it's true - yet -
but it's sure fun to watch all the Nintendaddicts spontaneously combust. This, however, is true: Nintendo isn't winning the console war. Imagine my surprise. I even called it as the winner about a year ago, but turns out we were both seriously wrong. Sure, 22 million Wiis sold in little over a year completely dusts 17 million Xbox 360s sold in two years, but in terms of dollars spent, it's equally no contest. In 2007, gamers gave $3.5 billion to Nintendo and $4.8 billion to Microsoft's game division. It's not tough to guess why.

Hiroshi Yamauchi, the Nintendo CEO who gave Shigeru Miyamoto his first shot at designing a game, had a simple philosophy... games sell consoles. He made damn sure there was a true Mario game on hand for three Nintendo console launches. When he took the GameCube to market, he as much as said he wasn't trying to go up against the PlayStation 2.

Yamauchi was taking on the PlayStation 2's huge game catalogue, and if the Cube hadn't started at such a deficit, who knows... maybe it would've stood a chance. The Wii actually reverses that approach.

That casual gaming market we're always talking about? They're not buying a Wii to play Mario or Metroid or Zelda, or even a Wii Sports, really. They're all geeked out on the way games are played on the Wii, not the games themselves, and it doesn't take much for them to get their fix. They dig swinging a Wiimote around, playing Wii Tennis, Wii Bowling, Wii Whatever. And they should, because that's fun. For a while, anyway. But they're not up-converting to more challenging games, or any other games, for that matter.

Want some numbers? Less than one in four Wii owners bought Super Mario Galaxy. Just under half bought Wii Play, and while Galaxy's monthly sales are flattening out, Wii Play's are still going up. Galaxy will not match Play's numbers even after it matures in the marketplace.

We all thought a poor attach rate would sink the Wii, but the attach isn't all that bad, really... to a point.
As a publisher, Nintendo rakes in twice as much as its nearest competitor (EA) and eight times what Microsoft does alone, but Microsoft combined with an EA with a Ubisoft, a Capcom, Activision, and dozens of others, that's a different slice of cheese. The Big N's simply outgunned. If you take the top ten bestselling, non-bundled games on the Wii and compare them to the 360's top ten, Nintendo moves more games, period. Except all the heavy lifting's being done by the top four: Wii Play alone sold ten million units, Galaxy's done six so far, Mario Party 8 and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess are both around five million each. After that, it dwindles pretty fast.

Whereas the 360 has another two dozen million-plus sellers, and Xbox Live and XBLA.

You could put it down to market saturation - Xbox simply has more games on the shelves than the Wii, just like the PS2 did - but more people own Wiis. A lot more. And they're just not branching out to newer titles like people who went with the Microsoft Exploder are. My personal 360/Wii ratio is about 3 to 1. And I blame the Wii for that.

I don't care if it sounds dirty and wrong, I play with my Wii all the time, and I enjoy the hell out of it. I strongly suggested its innovative controls are the wave of the future not two weeks ago. But friend, the majority of games coming out on the platform are just not living up to the potential of that innovation. Most do their best to work around it. Some flat-out ignore it. And the Wii itself is starting to show its limitations.

The PS3 has the reputation for being tough to develop for (and a severely overpriced dev kit to back it up), but take a second to really look at who's developing really good games that actually take full advantage of what the Wiimote can do. There's Nintendo, and then there's... Nintendo. Capcom's done pretty well with Resident Evil 4 (arguably the best version of that game) and Zack and Wiki, their under-released sleeper. Compare that to Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Devil May Cry 4, and upcoming Resident Evil 5 and Bionic Commando for the 360, and you can see where Capcom's throwing its weight. For all the initial enthusiasm around opening the Wii to third party development, that's fairly representative across all the major developers. A lot of games try their best to turn the Wiimote into a NES controller. When they do create something Wiimote-centric, it's a minigame collection. Everybody's stuck on minigames. Maybe that's because minigames are what's really been successful on the Wii so far, but between you and me, the inspiration's running pretty thin already. EA's Ninja Reflex is a harmless distraction, but I get the feeling the guys at Sanzaru Games topped out at six ninja challenges before they ran out of ninja ideas.

You'd think it was tailor-made for shooters, but I can only think of three FPS Wii games on the market, two of them are World War II shooters (a genre that's thankfully gone into recession) and only one was a moderate hit.

And then there's Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Man, would I love for this game to be good. If ever there was something to excite you about owning a Wii, it's getting to be a freakin' Jedi (or Sith, as the case may be) and bust heads with your very own lightsabre. I want to be on my feet, holding the Wiimote like a lightsabre, swinging it around to parry incoming laser fire, hacking through scores of Imperials (or Rebels, I'm not a picky guy) and dueling other Jedi, exactly as if the thing in my hand was a lit energy sword.

Except that's not gonna be the way it's gonna be, now is it? Why did Nintendo shut down lightsabre brackets for the Wiimote?

If you've ever taken a fencing class - or hammered your kid sister with cardboard wrapping paper tubes when Mom wasn't looking - you know why. Swing a sword, and it stops when you hit something, another sword, a body... but a Wiimote won't stop. Even though we interact with the game physically, there's barely any physical feedback from the game back to us. That weak rumble is never going to tell me my attack's been stopped. The Wiimote is too rudimentary to represent a virtual sword fight that's not on some pretty tight rails. I hope I'm wrong, but it's my sneaking suspicion the one-on-one lightsabre duels - and by extension, the entire game - LucasArts and Krome Studios are promoting as a Wii-exclusive feature will just be me sitting on the couch, giggling the Wiimote a few inches to the left, waggling it to the right, making a circle, No More Heroes, Part Two. It might be kinda-sorta fun, but it's well short of cool in my book.

And cool is where the Wii should live, on both fronts, casual and hardcore
. If you've got your Wii and twenty Wii games on your shelf, and you think every one's a masterpiece of design and function, hey, go crazy. But you've got to know you're in the minority, even among Nintendaddicts. For my money, it's time for Nintendo to acknowledge that they need to do more than sell dev-kits; they have to work with their new partners to create thrilling new content that doesn't just adapt itself to the Wii, but actually exploits the platform's conceits. Every time they've gotten heavily involved with an outside developer - Metroid Prime 3 springs to mind - the results paid off, creatively and financially. Together with the DS, Nintendo is the house of unconventional game interfaces... it took years before developers caught up to the DS, but the Big N's got to start sharing their Wii know-how Now.

The Wiimote could use an update, too. A bigger and better rumbler in both controls might help add a sense of resistance when it's needed. Those controls, as smartly designed as they are, need to get smarter. Much as I enjoyed Prime 3, it was a big drawback that I couldn't aim directly at the baddies; I was stuck playing to the sensor bar, not the screen, which would make it the most retarded light-gun game ever. No wonder those other shooters tanked. We should be able to calibrate those controllers, zeroing them for aiming and spatial movement any time we want. That alone opens up a whole new range of things you can do with the Wiimotes. You'd get full range and depth of motion, for one thing. Forget waggling. Start thinking about how you move, and how that can translate to a video game.

Even without upgrading, developers have to start approaching the Wii like it's The Wii, and not a PS3 with inconvenient control maps. Think a first-person Street Fighter where you mime your fireballs and punches, a Warhawk where nunchuck and Wiimote become throttle and joystick, a Mr. Fantastic-type superhero who's click-and-drag stretched to attack and evade, or a platformer where you've got to constantly draw your path as you go. There are untapped applications for the Wiimote. Somebody... anybody: tap them.

As for the casual market... well, it's gonna be tough to get those people to shell out. If they wanted a lot of games, they wouldn't be casual gamers, and converting them from one to the other is having mixed results at best. You can already see Nintendo trying hard to cross Super Smash Brothers Brawl over, and while it's a good candidate, it won't work. That huge lineup of Nintendo characters that we love and demanded will intimidate and turn off most neophytes. Brawl's sweet geekology is self-defeating that way (and again, it makes the Wiimote pretend it's a classic controller). That said, I'd think Mario Kart Wii stands a better chance with its Game Boy lineage if it's positioned as a racing game first, and the fanboy-pleasing roster is grossly downplayed in the prime time commercial spots. Kart's control scheme is just as intuitive as Need for Speed's Wii port, only with a bit more functionality beyond controller tilted steering. It's accessible physically, so they just need to make it accessible psychologically to people who don't know or care who Bowser is.

What both these games have in common is adaptability. You can play them in any of four different controller configurations, and that's also an important step in the Wii's evolution. Just as developers have to start catering to the Wii, the Wii has to cater to gamers and let them play their games any damn way they want to.

Oh, there will be other factors. I'm hearing interesting things about Wii homebrew - don't those words just give you warm fuzzies all over? - and maybe we'll see something cool pop up on the Frii channel someday. I'm also interested to see how Wii Fit does, since it basically turns your game console into something other than a game console (i.e. an exercise machine). Mostly, I just want to see Nintendo follow through on all the promise they've shown with their console design. If they can, they truly do deserve to mark off this generation as a win.

Fingers crossed.

Think about it, that's what they pass off as paid content. Luckily, I've never actually paid for Insider, just had people pay for it for me.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
combine this with the zelda trailer.

I think i might start visiting ign a little bit more often.

legend166

Was posted on the 31st of March.

So uh, unless it's one of those retarded day before things, I'd imagine it's real.

JDSN

Banned
Glad to see Spywolf landed on his feet after his ban. And for the last time:

Every time they've gotten heavily involved with an outside developer - Metroid Prime 3 springs to mind - the results paid off, creatively and financially.
RETRO IS PART NINTENDO YOU TWATS!

Videogame "journalism" is often a crap shoot, but that's more of an opinion piece than anything else. The article brings up a lot of good points about the Wii's "success" but it's so biased it's rather insignificant.

witness

The internet should really start to crack down on the whole "opinion" thing. These rebel rouser's are getting out of hand!

YYZ

PhoenixDark said:
Videogame "journalism" is often a crap shoot, but that's more of an opinion piece than anything else. The article brings up a lot of good points about the Wii's "success" but it's so biased it's rather insignificant.
in the latest IGN Gamesages podcast, they discuss videogame "journalism". They being Jeremy Dunham, Brad Shoemaker, OXM guy, and someone else (I forget). Game journalists don't really embrace the title, at least the guys on this podcast. It's silly if you compare them to "real" journalists.

darscot

I thought this had to be April fools then you see IGN and realize no it's probable true. The entire Nintendo portion of that site is run by raving bitter Nintendo fanboys, there goal is to to make the legions of IGN Fucktard fanboys just as bitter as them.

witness

darscot said:
I thought this had to be April fools then you see IGN and realize no it's probable true. The entire Nintendo portion of that site is run by raving bitter Nintendo fanboys, there goal is to to make the legions of IGN Fucktard fanboys just as bitter as them.

Actually no one from the Nintendo team, at least the U.S. team, on IGN wrote that article.....

darscot

witness said:
Actually no one from the Nintendo team, at least the U.S. team, on IGN wrote that article.....

Who the hell wrote it then? It's got IGN's dirty little fingerprints all over it.

YYZ said:
in the latest IGN Gamesages podcast, they discuss videogame "journalism". They being Jeremy Dunham, Brad Shoemaker, OXM guy, and someone else (I forget). Game journalists don't really embrace the title, at least the guys on this podcast. It's silly if you compare them to "real" journalists.

Their opinions don't speak for everyone obviously; the entire thing smells to me. People are payed to be fanboys, and people who aren't payed anything to be fanboys worship or argue their every word on message boards. Studios take advantage of this buy providing exclusive scoops, party invites, and a few clever winks to ensure good reviews...and regular people cheer and jeer. meh

witness

darscot said:
Who the hell wrote it then? It's got IGN's dirty little fingerprints all over it.

Well the Nintendo U.S. team for IGN is Matt, Craig, Bozon, and Damon and none of them are the writers of that particular article.

legend166

It's not an April Fools. IGNs April Fools was a Zelda movie and annoucing they were taking the message board down for a week.

The point was that this is what IGN provides to paying customers. I agree with him in regards to wasted potential. But there's just so many factual errors and retarded arguments in the article it's ridiculous. I thought everyone enjoyed laughing at IGN, but I guess not.

Edit: To clarify, this was written by a member of their Insider team. You can't actually read the article on the site unless you're an Insider.

sneaky77

i don't know if that's april fools or not... but those type of "paid" articles are reason why i cancelled my insider subscription.

darscot

witness said:
Well the Nintendo U.S. team for IGN is Matt, Craig, Bozon, and Damon and none of them are the writers of that particular article.

Pick your poison the lot of them are all about the same.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
The problem with this article is that he basically defines a console's success by the success of certain games. One of his arguing points is that less than 1/4 of Wii owners own Mario Galaxy.

Essentially, by the sounds of it, he's saying that the Wii isn't a success unless Mario Galaxy and all games like it sell to nearly every Wii owner. This is a completely faulty premise.

A system's success in terms of "winning the console race" is only defined by one stat: userbase. If there are more Wiis in people's households than 360s or PS3s, then the Wii will have won the console war. This is just another attempt to twist the definition of victory to suit their ideals.

Doesn't make it any less false at present.

sneaky77

RurouniZel said:
A system's success in terms of "winning the console race" is only defined by one stat: userbase.

Actually the only number corporations see is $$$ if they make profit, then is success.

Can't say I disagree here. Nintendo's software lineup isn't exactly the greatest. 1st party is awesome but 3rd party needs to step it up. I'm just shocked at the lack of ideas that 3rd party developers have. They need to get over the whole "button press= waggle" concept.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
RurouniZel said:
The problem with this article is that he basically defines a console's success by the success of certain games. One of his arguing points is that less than 1/4 of Wii owners own Mario Galaxy.

Essentially, by the sounds of it, he's saying that the Wii isn't a success unless Mario Galaxy and all games like it sell to nearly every Wii owner. This is a completely faulty premise.

A system's success in terms of "winning the console race" is only defined by one stat: userbase. If there are more Wiis in people's households than 360s or PS3s, then the Wii will have won the console war. This is just another attempt to twist the definition of victory to suit their ideals.

Comparing AAA sales numbers to the userbase numbers is just asking for trouble, particularly with whoever's ahead in console sales. PS2, DS, etc etc.

KZObsessed

So says an IGN poll, or so it would appear.
by Nate Ahearn

US, March 31, 2008 - On March 28 we created a poll on IGN.com asking readers the following question: "If you're buying GTA IV, which platform version will you purchase?" Surprisingly the Xbox 360 version beat out the PlayStation 3, despite the fact that the series was popularized on previous Sony consoles where past iterations have sold tens of millions of copies.

Here's how the voting breaks down:

If you're buying GTA IV, which platform version will you purchase?
# PS3: 36%
# Xbox 360: 64%
# Total Number of Votes: More than 18,000

That's very nearly a two-to-one ratio. Could this be evidence of the strength of exclusive episodic content, the one feature that Xbox 360 owners can hold over the heads of the Sony diehards or is it simply that IGN.com is wrought with 360 fanboys?
The answer awaits in just a few short weeks (tack on a few more weeks for real sales results). Stay tuned to IGN for more Grand Theft Auto IV news in the coming weeks and months

Thanx for the update IGN, keep us posted!

Luckily this gem is free for everyone to enjoy!

I'm preeeeetty sure that was a joke article tho... or so I guess

donny2112

This is pretty typical. There's a significant amount of Nintendo hate at IGN, and the Insider channel has had a lot more of it since Fran moved to another part of IGN. Pretty much the Nintendo editors and most former Nintendo editors are the only ones who, at least, try to be even-handed toward Nintendo, in general.

After all, there's a reason that IGN never had a Nintendo game as GOTY until Galaxy last year. And that was after Peer mentioned the lack of any IGN GOTY awards for Nintendo and apparent anti-Nintendo slant amongst the editors in the 2006 GOTY video feature. ;)

Edit:
On the plus side, Gaming Life in Japan is a good Insider article series. :)

hokahey

RurouniZel said:

Exactly. He doesn't like the Wii games that have been successful. Tough shit. I enjoy pick up and play games as well as more "hardcore" (ugh) endeavors. I've been that way all my life. I used to go to the arcade to play Marble Madness just as often as I did Street Fighter.

Games like Pacman and Tetris would be labeled as "casual" games these days and in turn be shunned by a certain segment of gamers. That's really sad. But if it were Super Pacman's Boobie World with Guns featuring on line play with DLC and a sandbox environment it would be all the rage. Why?

I understand gaming has changed since those days, but why can't people still purchase and enjoy those types of experiences without having to worry about the casual stigma?

I enjoy retro gaming, and a game like Tanks on Wii Play satisfies that part of my gaming need in a new way and I fucking love it.

At the same time I love playing through games like Zelda, Mario and Shenmue.

The gaming industry has tried too hard the past two generations to "grow up" and it has done nothing to grow the industry and has left people that enjoy pick up and play experiences behind.

Thank god Nintendo had the vision to correct that, and thank god other companies are producing the content they are as well.

There's room for all of these types of experiences and I pity those that can't see the big picture and are too self conscious to enjoy games that their friends might make fun of for not featuring guns and/or hookers.

MisterHero

Nor should there be. The way people respond to Mario is a special thing. Vastly different cultures have embraced him as their own. He belongs to the Internet Generation weaned on the DS just as much as to the MTV Generation who stuck with him since vaulting that first barrel. In a cynical world of fully destructible environments and BFGs and blood soaked hack-n-slash, Mario's the eternal optimist. Nothing is insurmountable. It can be done. You can have fun doing it.

Shigeru Miyamoto only ever set out to make simple a everyman avatar. Instead, he gave the world the first icon of modern gaming, video or otherwise. Simply put, Mario means Play. That's not likely to ever change.

This is the closing of another article of Rus McLaughlin.
The History of Super Mario Bros.

So either:
1)Threi is right and his super-happy world got flipped upside-down. Mostly because Nintendo flipped their own fortunes upside-down.

2)It's April Fool's.

Banned
hokahey said:
I understand gaming has changed since those days, but why can't people still purchase and enjoy those types of experiences without having to worry about the casual stigma?
People do. The "Hardcore" gamer probably plays more casual games than a casual gamer. The only difference is they call those games indie games

RurouniZel said:
A system's success in terms of "winning the console race" is only defined by one stat: userbase.

To you , me, and the average consumer and media yes. Give the choice to the big three though, and I'm sure they'll choose whichever path nets them the most dollars, despite their gold silver or bronze medal.

Teknoman

Do you not notice the article author's names before reading said article?

"by Rus McLaughlin"

And another one was by "Evil Buchanan"

This isnt Gamepro, IGN folks use real names, not pen names.

READ: It's a joke article.

WinFonda said:
Tell us, what should we do about his opinion?

Discuss intelligently and allow both sides to fully express their views free of any fear that they should be banned for simply discussing in an honest fashion?

KZObsessed

Rus McLaughlin :lol

I wish that was my name. April Fools day has been pretty good on GAF.

Kojima flat out wins tho, no contest.

Haunted

So if that's their April Fool's joke, that must mean the Legend of Zelda movie trailer is actually real.

But yeah, Blizzard definitely took it home this year.

Top Bottom