• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Onepunch-Man |OT| only S-Class heroes allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finalow

vsqD6PY.png

• what is Onepunch-Man?
OnePunch-Man (ワンパンマン) is an ongoing Japanese webcomic and manga series created by ONE. The webcomic started in July 2009, with more than 10 million total views and 20,000 hits per day. Following its success, the series was picked up by Shueisha's Young Jump Web Comics and a stylized digital manga remake (illustrated by Yusuke Murata) began publication on June 14, 2012. basically, there are 2 versions: the original webcomic created and drawn by ONE, and the manga illustrated by Yusuke Murata.

[this thread covers both the manga and the webcomic, but considering how the manga is behind storywise, please use spoiler tags if you're going to post spoilers ragarding the original webcomic]

OPM03.jpg

• what is the story about?
Onepunch-Man takes place in the fictional City Z, which is located in Japan. We follow the life of Saitama, an average guy who ends up becoming a hero that fights all kinds of crazy monsters. There is one big twist though. Saitama is able to win any fight with just one punch. However, after becoming too strong, Saitama has become bored of his powers and is always trying to find stronger opponents who can fight him.

During his adventures, Saitama meets new friends, enemies and even his very own disciple, the cyborg Genos. Together, they end up joining the Hero Assocation in a quest for fame and to rid the world of all evil. Despite being much, much stronger than his disciple, Saitama ends up in the lower ranks of the Hero Assocation while Genos joins the S-Class Heroes club. Very few people have knowledge of Saitama's true power.

tl;dr

• why should I read this?
OnePunch-Man is ridiculous in the best possible way. It's manga that questions all the clichés of shonen battle manga. It makes fun of battles that drag on and on, enemies that won't stop talking and the need for some kind of super training. Saitama is just a regular bald dude. One day he simply decided he wanted to become a super hero so he did some *special* training for three years and thanks to that he became tremendously strong.

• where and how can I read this?
manga - Viz Media has licensed the remake for english serialization in its Weekly Shonen Jump digital magazine. || webcomic - it's free, there are no problems in reading this anywhere online. This is the webcomic's original site, in japanese.

865e7cc3f40130cce637e6bdae06deca1362612361_large.jpg

• manga volumes released so far

example of a full '3D' cover

tumblr_o07celcKNX1v2m6r7o10_540.png

• most notable heroes/characters

7. King

[irrelevant heroes missing]

--ワンパンマン

• useful links
OnePunch-Man (manga)
OnePunch-Man (Original Webcomic)
Organizations
OnePunch-Man Digital Manga [Vizmedia]

• FAQ

_should I watch the anime? Yes. Madhouse did an excellent job with this series, highly recommended.

_wow it really is amazing, you were right! Is there anything similar, what should I read next? You should also read Mob Psycho 100, it's from the same author, ONE. It's quite good and the drawings are much better. [update: there is a MP 100 anime now as well and it is extremely good. go watch it]

_hi, I'm a fan of Genos, will he ever stop being a jobber? No, sorry.

_no Murata-so-good gifs? Here you go. 1, 2, 3

onepunchman35rjl2.png

thanks to Dawg for the previous OT
and the OPM wiki for info and pictures.

Cels

all right so i finished watching the anime last night
and i get that saitama became super powerful after his boring and ordinary training regimen
but do they ever explain how he REALLY got so powerful?

i hope they don't because it would be a midichlorians type situation then which ruins the mystique

Reset

and i get that saitama became super powerful after his boring and ordinary training regimen

i hope they don't because it would be a midichlorians type situation then which ruins the mystique
The 100 sit-ups, 100 push-ups, 100 squats,etc. is the reason why he got so powerful.

Pics_nao

What he said is the truth.

Webcomic spoilers
All that hard work broke his limiter tha all living things have and basically makes him have infinite potential.

Finalow

nvm, beaten.
I was not spoiled by this, but sheeesh, way to spoiler everything awesome in the OP.

Yeah, nah, I prefer the other OPM OTs without all the spoilery images...
uh? Even if you haven't read the manga or watched the anime I don't really see where the big spoilers are.

maybe the "OK" pic or the training one are a tiny bit 'spoilerish', but come on. not to mention that they both were in the previous OT as well.

Joyful

so far it hasnt been handwaved away no

its funnier this way

There's a theory that Saitama actually became a monster via training.

Notice how in this world, transformations can occur for nonsensical, yet relevant reasons. Someone can eat so much crab that they turn into a crab person. So let's apply that to Saitama. He worked out so much that he became strength incarnate.

Fusebox

Banned

The comment about having a God inside him, plus the giant footprint he left behind one time and the giant fist Geno saw coming towards him seem to hint that he really may have a God living inside him of some sort.

Reset

The comment about having a God inside him, plus the giant footprint he left behind one time and the giant fist Geno saw coming towards him seem to hint that he really may have a God living inside him of some sort.

I don't like this theory since
otherwise he wouldn't have gotten his ass kicked by the bullies in high school
and he would have beat the crab monster pretty easily. The best theory is the one where he already transformed into a "monster," but then again I hope they just keep it as simple the only reason he got so strong was because of his training.

I don't like this theory since
otherwise he wouldn't have gotten his ass kicked by the bullies in high school
and he would have beat the crab monster pretty easily. The best theory is the one where he already transformed into a "monster," but then again I hope they just keep it as simple the only reason he got so strong was because of his training.

That was all before he went bald.

Finalow

it's not, really. but if people are so annoyed at that Boros picture (which, again, was in the original OT too) I guess I'll change it.

Maedhros

There's no need for explanation, and if one day we have another explanations besides his training regime, it's the day I'll drop this manga.

But I'm sure One will never try this bullshit. He's better than that.

Anyway, have you guys read the latest mini-arc on the manga? Jesus, Metal Bat is so freaking amazing!

I hope every S Class hero gets mini-arcs like that.

Reset

it's not, really. but if people are so annoyed at that Boros picture (which, again, was in the original OT too) I guess I'll change it.

Even if you see Boros picture, the only thing it spoils is that he's an enemy. It's not like the Manga or Anime have any sort of build up for the fight, so I also don't see how it's a massive spoiler.

There's no need for explanation, and if one day we have another explanations besides his training regime, it's the day I'll drop this manga.

But I'm sure One will never try this bullshit. He's better than that.

Anyway, have you guys read the latest mini-arc on the manga? Jesus, Metal Bat is so freaking amazing!

I hope every S Class hero gets mini-arcs like that.

Hmm the latest chapter ended up making him look like a chump and reduced him to jobber status.

FoxSpirit

That they cut out Murata's awesome quasi-animated scenes in the manga prints pisses me off a lot. I thought those were highlights of manga artistry and you cut them for page saving? FUCK YOU.

That they cut out Murata's awesome quasi-animated scenes in the manga prints pisses me off a lot. I thought those were highlights of manga artistry and you cut them for page saving? FUCK YOU.

They were adapting the tankabons, which don't have those. And it was an anime, not a manga.

Even if you see Boros picture, the only thing it spoils is that he's an enemy. It's not like the Manga or Anime have any sort of build up for the fight, so I also don't see how it's a massive spoiler.

Hmm the latest chapter ended up making him look like a chump and reduced him to jobber status.
tumblr_nzof9gJSxn1qclwxuo1_500.gif

...unless you're one of those people who insists on calling everyone who is not Saitama in OPM a jobber, I don't see how. I thought it perfectly highlights how strong he is and why ONE has hyped up his abilities.

Edit: And yeah, the OP is spoilery. Nevermind Boros, the nature of Saitama's training was a big "reveal" and the central joke of a whole chapter. OP is awesome and appreciated but could probably do without detailing so much.

"hi, I'm a fan of Genos, will he ever stop being a jobber? No, sorry."

this made me laugh hard!!!

we all know genos will get his time to shine against
bofoy/metal knight

edit: manga reader here

Daingurse

Just started reading the original comics by ONE because I can't wait for no adaption. This shit will be fucking amazing when it's adapted, hahaha. Shit just keeps escalating, and the humor is so fucking good.

Fusebox

Banned
Uh... In what way?

Well it has his entire origin story so it ruins a good joke, and it ruins the fact that Boros doesn't go down with the first punch.

Tiny spoilers sure, but such fun moments in the show and having them in the OT adds nothing.

ThisGuy

Somewhat. They follow the same path and core story but the manga has a lot of extra content from the web comic, and the anime has a few added scenes but follows the manga pretty closely.

Okay, so is the web comic the original then? Would I be missing a lot if I just read the web comic and watched the show?

Haven't enjoyed a cartoon this much since south park.

Are there differences in stories between the web comic, manga, and TV show?
Not really. Both the webcomic and Murata's manga are written by ONE, though the latter has additional content and side stories not present in the original. The anime faithfully adapts the manga's (and thus ONE's) story almost perfectly. Everything syncs.

Edit:

Okay, so is the web comic the original then? Would I be missing a lot if I just read the web comic and watched the show?

Haven't enjoyed a cartoon this much since south park.

I'd suggest starting with the manga and only seguing to the webcomic once you've caught up. That way you won't miss anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom