• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Onepunch-Man |OT| only S-Class heroes allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where should I start on the webcomic if I'm done with the tankouban?
I'd like to know this too I'm done catching up with Manga for a while now. I saw someone say you can subscribe to it in comixology so I'll likely do that (only other series I'm subscribed to besides that is Saga).

i like this one

i heard the theory about blast being mob, but i didn't think about him being an adult

Considering mysterious beings only became frequent in the last 15 years, he would have to be an adult as spirits don't have any kind of wide presence in the Mob Psycho universe with plenty of people not believing in them at all.

Sealed

Banned
Considering mysterious beings only became frequent in the last 15 years, he would have to be an adult as spirits don't have any kind of wide presence in the Mob Psycho universe with plenty of people not believing in them at all.

ah, this makes a lot of sense as well

not sure about the specific chapter number, but I know the last "canon" chapter of Murata's manga corresponds to somewhere between chapter 40 and 53 of ONE's manga.

Nether!

I watched the cartoon based one how frequently I saw the thread pop up on the front page.
Not a big anime fan (have despised pretty much anything I've tried to watch) but this was great!
Wish the comic was further along from when the cartoon left off, caught up pretty quick.

Shy Fingers

Banned
As an anime viewer only, I'm glad the Saitama turned himself into a monster theory is a thing. After the second episode of the anime that was my theory.

My friends all looked at me like I was crazy... I'll swear by this being the initial reason, even if the creator changes it later on.

As an anime viewer only, I'm glad the Saitama turned himself into a monster theory is a thing. After the second episode of the anime that was my theory.

My friends all looked at me like I was crazy... I'll swear by this being the initial reason, even if the creator changes it later on.

As an anime only viewer, you should not be in this thread.

Finalow

regarding Saitama's power, I forgot that in chapter 56 of the webcomic
the guy from the house of evolution pretty much confirms that Saitama broke his limiter. he also explains the whole limiter thing.
- so after all, that theory is confirmed.

and the same guy is now
running a takoyaki stand
, I didn't remember that part. it's nice how in one of the last anime episodes (and I'd guess in the manga too) you see a brief scene with him, the gorilla and some octopus prepared to be cooked.

chapter 51 or 52 should be fine.

there is a lot of stuff added in the manga which wasn't in the original webcomic, (ONE worked on that stuff too) like the whole extension of the Hero Hunt arc and the Centipede + Metal Bat extra chapters.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Well now I'm caught up.

-Can't wait to see the Garou fight done by Murata and then animated.

-King is obvs the best hero as his power is basically infinite luck, and hes a gaffer.

-ONE seems to always be trying to one-up himself with regards to how stupid he draws Tatsumaki. I love it.

-I dont buy the current theories about Blast. He has to be a gag character or simply doesnt exist (and thats the gag).

-Fubuki is best girl

-Metal Bat needs his own comic. They really get the "abide by the unwritten rules of society" code of honor you find in "yankee" types here in Japan. The bit with the plates was hilarious.

-I hope at some point the "tank tops" fuse to become a devestator type ultra tank top. Also easiest cosplay ever.

Tuck

Garo not actually
killing all those heroes
is kind of a disappointing copout, especially since he repeatedly says he was going to do so.

That would have made this arc significantly higher in stakes. Granted, it would suck to see
such a colourful cast of characters be reduced so quickly.

Also, having read more, i've come to the realization that Saitama's a bit of a dick. A loveable dick. As well, I just googled what "Oppai" means.

Oh.

I feel like Garou's supposed
"harmlessness
that the arc concludes on kind of falls flat considering some of the shit he pulled. I mean, he still did rip a guy's arm off.

-I dont buy the current theories about Blast. He has to be a gag character or simply doesnt exist (and thats the gag).

That's one of the many theories too though.

Another one I like is that he's an empty slot meant to keep Tatsumaki in line.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Also, having read more, i've come to the realization that Saitama's a bit of a dick. A loveable dick. As well, I just googled what "Oppai" means.

Oh.

Well bear in mind that Saitama's super poor so he likely either won that hoodie in a contest or it was some kind of doorbuster sale acquisition.

Garo not actually
killing all those heroes
is kind of a disappointing copout, especially since he repeatedly says he was going to do so.

That would have made this arc significantly higher in stakes. Granted, it would suck to see
such a colourful cast of characters be reduced so quickly.

Oh.
He does, and it's mostly an act. Saitama even calls him out on this.

Tuck

Has the manga deviated from the webcomic? I'm reading the webcomic now and am noticing a whole lot of stuff that was in the manga does not appear to be in the web comic - everything with baseball bat guy and metal knight.

Or is the manga just adding a lot of extra content while still adapting the rest of the webcomic 1:1?

Has the manga deviated from the webcomic? I'm reading the webcomic now and am noticing a whole lot of stuff that was in the manga does not appear to be in the web comic - everything with baseball bat guy and metal knight.

Or is the manga just adding a lot of extra content while still adapting the rest of the webcomic 1:1?

The manga is adding stuff

Tuck

Gotcha.

Frankly, I approve. The manga added stuff is all excellent, kinda bummed its not in the original work, but I guess this gives me good reason tor read both!

Moaradin

It's all written/approved by ONE so it's all good. Manga lets them add stuff like fleshing out characters (Metal Bat comes to mind) that he didn't get a chance to in the webcomic.

ElFly

regarding Saitama's power, I forgot that in chapter 56 of the webcomic
the guy from the house of evolution pretty much confirms that Saitama broke his limiter. he also explains the whole limiter thing.
- so after all, that theory is confirmed.

Technically that's what that dude thinks happened. He may not necessarily be right.

If you pay attention, the whole explanation about
Garou's limiter that is breaking, seems to be applying to Metal Bat too, who in their current fight gets more and more powerful as they fight.

Saitama is beyond that. Except in flashbacks, we haven't really seen him become more powerful.

The "breaking the limiter" process as we see in Garou and Metal Bat does not seem to be the same thing that happened to Saitama. Saitama one day just became overwhelmingly powerful, without needing to fight someone more powerful; Garou has only grown because he has fought tougher and tougher opponents.

The limiter may not really be the explanation.

Well now I'm caught up.

-King is obvs the best hero as his power is basically infinite luck, and hes a gaffer.

King is actually the world's savior.

Imagine that King did not exist, or did not steal credit from Saitama; Saitama would have been recognized before, and maybe not completed his training until his hair falls off, and Saitama would not have become powerful enough to beat the dangers that awaited him.

Didn't Saitama just will himself into becoming impossibly powerful? I mean I think he underwent something similar to Crablante or Personification Of A Light Pull Cord, those guys were so obsessed/did something so many times that they actually transformed, also Garô
turned into a monster.

Saitama said (even in a reflexive inner dialogue) that the obsession with becoming the hero he wanted to be when he was a kid was what kept him alive after all the bleakness of job-hunting and general dissatisfaction with adult life. After putting his own life in the line and going with his training for over a year without ever faltering he turned himself in what he wanted to become, even the hair loss can be seen as a side effect of his transformation. Dunno if it'll ever be adressed but It's perfectly good explanation to me.

I think that's the real explanation; Saitama just has an unbreakable will and this translates in supreme power. The really important part of his training is NEVER SKIPPING A DAY.

Finalow

Technically that's what that dude thinks happened. He may not necessarily be right.

If you pay attention, the whole explanation about
Garou's limiter that is breaking, seems to be applying to Metal Bat too, who in their current fight gets more and more powerful as they fight.

Saitama is beyond that. Except in flashbacks, we haven't really seen him become more powerful.

The "breaking the limiter" process as we see in Garou and Metal Bat does not seem to be the same thing that happened to Saitama. Saitama one day just became overwhelmingly powerful, without needing to fight someone more powerful; Garou has only grown because he has fought tougher and tougher opponents.

The limiter may not really be the explanation.
well you can't expect ONE to break the 4th wall, show up and explain how it works. having a character like that giving that explanation, to me it means the author is trying to give some insight to the readers on how some of these characters got incredibly strong and skilled. if it's just "what the dude thinks" and he's wrong, it would be weird to have him explain random 10 pages long theories.

Saitama surely is a special case, so there probably is more to it, whether it's going to be explained or not.
Garou broke the limiter and grew much stronger in a certain way, that doesn't mean everyone else needs to do the same in order to break it. also both the limiter and that Saitama's unbreakable will translates into supreme power thing could totally be part of the same reason why Saitama became that powerful.

so what I'm saying is that there surely are more layers to this limiter thing, but it is a thing. I won't be surprised at all if it'll be mentioned again at some point.

as for Metal Bat, I really don't think he has anything to do with that. it felt more like one of his skills, besides you know, swinging a bat.
or just a way to make him shout "I'm getting stronger because ~fuck you", or "fuck reasons". also consider that Garou
at that point is still very far from being as strong as he gets later.

ElFly

well you can't expect ONE to break the 4th wall, show up and explain how it works. having a character like that giving that explanation, to me it means the author is trying to give some insight to the readers on how some of these characters got incredibly strong and skilled. if it's just "what the dude thinks" and he's wrong, it would be weird to have him explain random 10 pages long theories.

Saitama surely is a special case, so there probably is more to it, whether it's going to be explained or not.
Garou broke the limiter and grew much stronger in a certain way, that doesn't mean everyone else needs to do the same in order to break it. also both the limiter and that Saitama's unbreakable will translates into supreme power thing could totally be part of the same reason why Saitama became that powerful.

so what I'm saying is that there surely are more layers to this limiter thing, but it is a thing. I won't be surprised at all if it'll be mentioned again at some point.

as for Metal Bat, I really don't think he has anything to do with that. it felt more like one of his skills, besides you know, swinging a bat.
or just a way to make him shout "I'm getting stronger because ~fuck you", or "fuck reasons". also consider that Garou
at that point is still very far from being as strong as he gets later.

The thing is that we only see
Garou breaking his limiter; this is explicitly told by the narration boxes, so I'd give it more weight to it than the explanation of a dude who only saw Saitama wtfpwn his monster.

Keep in mind that this is a whole series being built around people being wrong about heroes in general and Saitama in particular, so that long explanation has more probabilities of being wrong than being right. We don't really need the 4th wall broken because Saitama himself told us what happened. He just never skipped a day of his harsh but regular training.

I don't buy the limiter explanation, cause anyone undergoing the same process as Saitama will actually put up a fight against caped baldie. Everyone who is wtfpwned easily just took another, different route to power.

Well now I'm caught up.

-ONE seems to always be trying to one-up himself with regards to how stupid he draws Tatsumaki. I love it.

-Fubuki is best girl

-Metal Bat needs his own comic. They really get the "abide by the unwritten rules of society" code of honor you find in "yankee" types here in Japan. The bit with the plates was hilarious.

-I hope at some point the "tank tops" fuse to become a devestator type ultra tank top. Also easiest cosplay ever.

King's power is the ability to absolutely bullshit his way through anything. It is thr most powerful force in thr universe.

ElFly

I don't buy the theories about Blast. He is gonna be another unreliable but powerful but ultimately not powerful enough dude so Saitama can keep showing people the error of their ways, given how Tatsumaki
will probably be put in her place in the coming months.

ONE needs some new background heroes
for the arc after this one, particularly if they go face Genos' nemesis.

somedevil

Garou breaking his limiter; this is explicitly told by the narration boxes, so I'd give it more weight to it than the explanation of a dude who only saw Saitama wtfpwn his monster.

Keep in mind that this is a whole series being built around people being wrong about heroes in general and Saitama in particular, so that long explanation has more probabilities of being wrong than being right. We don't really need the 4th wall broken because Saitama himself told us what happened. He just never skipped a day of his harsh but regular training.

I don't buy the limiter explanation, cause anyone undergoing the same process as Saitama will actually put up a fight against caped baldie. Everyone who is wtfpwned easily just took another, different route to power.

Garou didn't break his
limiter.
He was close but like Saitama said he
took the shortcut and became a monster which means being reborn and not breaking it. The whole idea of the fight was that he method he choose to was the easy way and he would never acquire the strength he needs that way.

The whole idea of the theory is unlike the other S ranks he
was never born with the possibility to be strong. Through effort alone he broke it and evolved to this level of power

ChouGoku

Fuck, the Garou/Monster Association is some of the most hype manga I've read in a while. ONE's art has gotten much better, and while I love the Murata version and Anime too I think ONE's webcomic is the best way to experience this manga. There is something about how its drawn that adds to the story. It's almost like you are seeing the world through Saitama's eyes where everything is a joke. I love it even more so in the last arc because things got kind of detailed, but Saitama still has the most shittiest panels which really shows his effort at times while exchanging blows with Garou

Vex_

Banned
So wait. Is it true that the anime is officially done? I just saw a comment on a favorite site of mine saying that last epic fight was.... The last episode??!!!

If so, my heart is broken.

So wait. Is it true that the anime is officially done? I just saw a comment on a favorite site of mine saying that last epic fight was.... The last episode??!!!

If so, my heart is broken.
You shouldn't be in this thread unless you don't mind Manga/Web comic spoilers. But yes the Anime is done for now. Depending on how popular it sells it might end up getting a second season fast but right now the Manga hasn't finished the arc that would theoretically be the second season, so they either wait for that or go with the webcomic

Vex_

Banned
You shouldn't be in this thread unless you don't mind Manga/Web comic spoilers. But yes the Anime is done for now. Depending on how popular it sells it might end up getting a second season fast but right now the Manga hasn't finished the arc that would theoretically be the second season, so they either wait for that or go with the webcomic

Yea I don't mind spoilers too much. But dayum. It just ended so sudden :c

Murata was streaming his drawing for 7 hours.

At one point he drew metal bat with his sister in a nice pose. about 80% of the way in he said "fuck it this looks bad, im going to redraw it"

Rktwu71.png

the man is a madman

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
At one point he drew metal bat with his sister in a nice pose. about 80% of the way in he said "fuck it this looks bad, im going to redraw it"

And this is why manga is in black and white.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
And this is why manga is in black and white.
It's also why the whole "the artists/animators are done but they almost died in the process, so please cut them some slack" joke is a thing.

Honestly, I don't care about getting an explanation behind Saitama's strength. That's the joke. That's why the
whole 100 pushups etc. thing
works. Giving even half of an actual explanation would ruin it.

L.O.R.D

i have a question in the manga

when saitama about to get to the karate match after disguise him self
what happened after that ? it's seems they didn't show us what happened

Been thinking about how different the story would be if Saitama did get the credit he deserved. He wouldn't be able to relate to Mumen Rider being C class and thus likely wouldn't be friends with the guy, there would be no King so no friendship with him, no Fubuki going around rookie-crushing him so they would never meet, etc.

Maybe the guy would feel even more isolated then, seeing any relationships he makes as hollow due to them only hovering around him for his strength and visibility. It's interesting to think about.

MartyStu

Been thinking about how different the story would be if Saitama did get the credit he deserved. He wouldn't be able to relate to Mumen Rider being C class and thus likely wouldn't be friends with the guy, there would be no King so no friendship with him, no Fubuki going around rookie-crushing him so they would never meet, etc.

Maybe the guy would feel even more isolated then, seeing any relationships he makes as hollow due to them only hovering around him for his strength and visibility. It's interesting to think about.

Or more likely he would simply make a different set of friends.

Finalow

i have a question in the manga

when saitama about to get to the karate match after disguise him self
what happened after that ? it's seems they didn't show us what happened
you can avoid using spoiler tags if it's about the manga.

seems like they completely skipped that part.

Murata was streaming his drawing for 7 hours.

the man is a madman
gotta aim for that perfection. 2monthslater/edit. if someone cares his stream is nebu-kuro1 on ustream.

that character is a scientist, he did plenty of research on how to evolve the human race, gain strength and whatever else, he then witnessed the power of Saitama.
it's not any random guy, if ONE had to pick someone to give that sort of explanation I'd say he fits the role pretty well. narration boxes in that case would have been OK too but I don't see any big difference.

and again, there surely could more to Saitama's power than just that, as we mentioned already he had that ''unbreakable will'', never skipping one day of training in order to become the hero he wanted to be etc.
that alone, considering the rules of the universe, is ok as explanation but it'd make sense to add the limiter thing on top of it, since after Garou and what I mentioned with the scientist it is totally a thing. what the scientist said about "god giving every human a limiter etc." is pretty much confirmed to be true at this point.

and it doesn't mean anyone could do the same process and reach the same results. Garou was considered a genius, and that's how he became that strong to being with.

ElFly

you can avoid using spoiler tags if it's about the manga.

seems like they completely skipped that part.

gotta aim for that perfection. any link to the stream?

that character is a scientist, he did plenty of research on how to evolve the human race, gain strength and whatever else, he then witnessed the power of Saitama.
it's not any random guy, if ONE had to pick someone to give that sort of explanation I'd say he fits the role pretty well. narration boxes in that case would have been OK too but I don't see any big difference.

ONE choose someone to give the explanation: Saitama. Don't know why ya'll insist on
sticking to the limiter explanation, when Garou is clearly shown undergoing that process, and he is no match for Saitama at all.

Don't try to squirrel away with "different people will react differently". That's just bullshit. We saw the
limiter thing happen, it did not produce another Saitama. Period. Scientist dude only studied evolution.

The simplest explanation is that Saitama got his power somehow else.

How? By not skipping any day of his training.

Garou didn't break his
limiter.
He was close but like Saitama said he
took the shortcut and became a monster which means being reborn and not breaking it. The whole idea of the fight was that he method he choose to was the easy way and he would never acquire the strength he needs that way.

The whole idea of the theory is unlike the other S ranks he
was never born with the possibility to be strong. Through effort alone he broke it and evolved to this level of power

He doesn't
become a monster. He is still human. This is why Saitama doesn't explode his head like with every other non-human.

Garou probably didn't become a monster due to his reluctance to kill people; in his rampage he doesn't really kill anyone, which is something Saitama seems to sense and thus Saitama judges and deals with him as a human. Only the other heroes, who don't really understand how power works, judge him as a monster; Silver Fang, who is in awe of Saitama, just chastizes Garou. Thus Garou didn't really evolve into another life form, and all his power comes from having broken his limiter.

Turns breaking your limiter is still not enough to beat Saitama. In the after match, Saitama himself, in that very fight, says that what decides a match is determination. No limiters, no monsteritude, no strength. And determination is the one thing we know Saitama has in spades.

Sorry bros, it's not the limiter.

It's never skipping a day.

Do note that there is an extra chapter in the Murata manga where Saitama seems to take the step from regular strong guy to One Punch Man, it's called "Brushing up yourself". Guess I am going to spoil it even if it's not the webcomic.

In it it seems that Saitama, in the 300th day of training is feeling a mysterious constant painful sting and is running against his limits.

But this is all a joke. Then, dramatically, he decides to "surpass all his limits".

He still gets punched in the face painfully

This breaks one of his bad tooths, which was what was really causing the sting. Only THEN he gets his OPM dumb face and one punches the villain.

Again, it wasn't his limiter; that very idea is mocked in that chapter.

Fuck, the Garou/Monster Association is some of the most hype manga I've read in a while. ONE's art has gotten much better, and while I love the Murata version and Anime too I think ONE's webcomic is the best way to experience this manga. There is something about how its drawn that adds to the story. It's almost like you are seeing the world through Saitama's eyes where everything is a joke. I love it even more so in the last arc because things got kind of detailed, but Saitama still has the most shittiest panels which really shows his effort at times while exchanging blows with Garou

Yeah, the Garou fight is actually very well...not drawn, but composed. ONE has a p good sense of composition in those panels; they aren't really polished but most of them are really great panels despite the simple art.

By the way, bruhs.

Chapter 105 of the webcomic started.

Finalow

ONE choose someone to give the explanation: Saitama. Don't know why ya'll insist on
sticking to the limiter explanation, when Garou is clearly shown undergoing that process, and he is no match for Saitama at all.

Don't try to squirrel away with "different people will react differently". That's just bullshit. We saw the
limiter thing happen, it did not produce another Saitama. Period. Scientist dude only studied evolution.

The simplest explanation is that Saitama got his power somehow else.

How? By not skipping any day of his training.
bullshit how, you don't really have enough information to be sure that it's bullshit. Saitama himself isn't probably aware of how it happened or if there is a ''scientific'' explanation for it. so actually, yes, the scientist is the best character for something like that.

as I've posted 100 times already, the
breaking the limiter stuff
alone doesn't mean it's all it takes to become as strong as Saitama, that could be only a part of it. you keep insisting on it but again
saying that Garou didn't become as strong as Saitama = the limiter explanation is bullshit
doesn't make any sense as you can't know that. and let me repeat how nonsensical it'd be to present a 10 pages long completely wrong theory for no reason.

but whatever, time will tell.

regarding Garou though

He doesn't
become a monster. -
he definitely does.
you could argue that before the end of the fight he didn't become a monster (although people mention how he really looks like one)
but come on, (heavy webcomic spoilers picture) you can't seriously think
he isn't a monster there just because "Saitama didn't explode his head", lol.
he more than once admits he mutated, the fact that he didn't kill anyone or that Saitama didn't kill him doesn't mean he didn't turn into a monster, just means that he's not as bad as the usual ''destroy/kill everything/everyone'' monster. not to mention what a waste it'd have been to kill him there, so he's clearly coming back at some point.

shaowebb

Gotta ask. Is this manga still going or not? The anime ended alluding to major things happening after the series ends.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gotta ask. Is this manga still going or not? The anime ended alluding to major things happening after the series ends.

It is, both the redraw (with the artstyle that the anime is using) and the original webcomic.

Temporally it goes...

Webcomic is ahead of the tedraw, which is ahead of the anime.

Draxal

Manga updated weekly with some weeks being skipped. Web comic 6 chapter in a year up to 105 now. Web comic is further ahead of the manga by a good amount so there's plenty of content.

rouken

this is easily the best manga i've ever come across. ONE just keeps one upping himself with every arc and makes all characters really likeable. I hope he focuses more on OPM rather than mob now that it's become really popular.

ElFly

he definitely does.
you could argue that before the end of the fight he didn't become a monster (although people mention how he really looks like one)
but come on, (heavy webcomic spoilers picture) you can't seriously think
he isn't a monster there just because "Saitama didn't explode his head", lol.

Brah
it is just a shell around him. It breaks down and it is still human Garou underneath.

That's something that never happened with the other monsters, like the various kings, and obviously not Saitama.

This is the second thing that worked differently for Garou and for Saitama. You are stretching too much the "it doesn't have to work the same way".

I mean, sure, but there HAS to be SOME similarity.

But whatever.

ONE PUNCH MAN 105

Seq0NFZ.gif

Mega

Banned
Garou is not a real monster. He's pretending and that's made abundantly clear by both how the actual monsters treat him and Saitama's conversation with him. Many monsters (all?) have human origins and no one questions what they have transformed into.

Finalow

Garou is obviously a special case, whether or not you believe it's skin, a shell or whatever else he undeniably
transforms into something, and that something is clearly something you could call a monster. can he revert to a human body/form? Seems like it, and again, special case.
he's pretending at first, but he's certainly not pretending at the end of arc.

~
the thread is pretty much dead already:[, rip.

from what I see ONE took almost 2 months to release the latest chapter (105), nice chapter but damn slowness.
the manga finally arrived to the point where the monster association shows up, we also at last get to see Metal Bat sister~

here with some random pink,

tumblr_nzv1ia7yOO1urhegeo1_1280.jpg

NY Times top selling manga Jan 17-23
*1. One-Punch Man Vol.4
*2. Naruto: The Seventh Hokage and the Scarlet Spring Vol.1
*3. One-Punch Man Vol.1
*4. One-Punch Man Vol.3
*5. One-Punch Man Vol.2
*6. Twin Star Exorcists Vol.3
*7. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.4
*8. My Monster Secret: "Actually, I am..." Vol.1
*9. Blue Exorcist Vol.14