• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Onepunch-Man |OT| only S-Class heroes allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
HELL YEA

6a0a16895fca0ebce3eacb787cc22b0d1362610839_full.gif

Finalow

Edit: And yeah, the OP is spoilery. Nevermind Boros, the nature of Saitama's training was a big "reveal" and the central joke of a whole chapter.
I felt like that the "training joke" worked well thanks to the context in which it was made, so even if you know how he trained I think you can still find that part amusing. but it does ruin it a bit, I suppose.
changed the description and the picture, then.

I'll update tomorrow with the list of (some of the best) heroes.

So is this a combined manga/webcomic thread? -
yes, having another thread just for the webcomic (and keeping the other one as manga only) didn't seem like the best idea. and considering how slow ONE is there probably won't be too many black bars discussions, I believe.

Finalow

the Metal Bat extra chapters are pretty good, I'd like to see more of some other S-Class heroes who have been ignored for the most part in the webcomic.

then again, if Murata does that we will probably see the end of this current arc in the next millennium. :[

what happened to the previous OPM manga thread?
basically manga readers were avoiding it because it had a couple of pages of webcomic spoilers, the discussion about making the thread about the manga and the webcomic started because as "manga only OT" it was pretty much dead.
so I asked Dawg to change it a bit and update it, he preferred however to give the OT directly to me. I asked for an ''exchange'' but since for mods that is a bit problematic, and that there were a lot of spoilers already, we figured it was better to just make a new thread.

This is not proven

The narrator acknowledges it later on when (ONE spoiler)
talking about Garou
, though. Plus the series did spend an awful lot of pages and panel space on it, if it weren't meant to have some grounding in reality.

I personally would like it more if that were just a theory, but I'm not sure that's the intention.

Wonder when we'll get some info on Watchdog Man. Dude's more apathetic than Saitama when it comes to actively letting people know about his deeds and we've never seen him in any trouble ever. Makes me think he's ridiculously powerful and possibly even above Tatsumaki.

I sort of hope we never do. I can see the series playing out without us ever learning anything about him.

Wonder when we'll get some info on Watchdog Man. Dude's more apathetic than Saitama when it comes to actively letting people know about his deeds and we've never seen him in any trouble ever. Makes me think he's ridiculously powerful and possibly even above Tatsumaki.

Though if we get a fight between him and Garou added into the Murata version, that may show him having trouble. If one isn't added, I'm going to assume ONE is hiding something about him.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
There's a theory that Saitama actually became a monster via training.

Notice how in this world, transformations can occur for nonsensical, yet relevant reasons. Someone can eat so much crab that they turn into a crab person. So let's apply that to Saitama. He worked out so much that he became strength incarnate.

His goal was to beat everyone in one punch. He aimed a bit higher than most.

FoxSpirit

His goal was to beat everyone in one punch. He aimed a bit higher than most.
No? He merely wanted to become a strong hero.
Also, his workload is far below lets say Tanktop Master. If simply working out like a maniac would give super powers beyond peer, Tanktop Master would rule.

My idea: Saitamas Superpower is ridiculous training gains. His body simply is hyper-receptive to training :p

Bossun

I crave this manga so much, but the pacing between each chapter is horrible.
It's so long.

Murat takes its time, but I understand it, the webcomic is not that long so it's okay not to go too fast, and the stories he adds are sweet.

I also understand that ONE has Psycho Mob but maaaaan...

Reset

I also understand that ONE has Psycho Mob but maaaaan...
Mob Psycho seems to be close to its end.

tumblr_nzof9gJSxn1qclwxuo1_500.gif

...unless you're one of those people who insists on calling everyone who is not Saitama in OPM a jobber, I don't see how. I thought it perfectly highlights how strong he is and why ONE has hyped up his abilities.
He gets his best move deflected so easily. He just looked bad in the latest chapter.

Sealed

Banned

Though if we get a fight between him and Garou added into the Murata version, that may show him having trouble. If one isn't added, I'm going to assume ONE is hiding something about him.

I really want to see Watchdog Man in action. He seems like a badass. I also want to know when ONE is going to introduce us to Blast.

The narrator acknowledges it later on when (ONE spoiler)
talking about Garou
, though. Plus the series did spend an awful lot of pages and panel space on it, if it weren't meant to have some grounding in reality.

I personally would like it more if that were just a theory, but I'm not sure that's the intention.

For Garou this was the case. We have no idea about Saitama though.

Don't just say it, ACTUALLY MOVE YOUR ASS

I cracked up at this

Mob Psycho seems to be close to its end.

He gets his best move deflected so easily. He just looked bad in the latest chapter.
... After having his fight against a dragon level threat interrupted and against an opponent with a skill set specifically designed to counter Heroes/humans. Garou said himself he would have lost if it weren't for his ability to dodge MB. And he was visibly shaking just from only deflecting Bat's swings.

C'mon.
We knew going into that fight Metal Bat wasn't taking him down. It was just a matter of how badass the encounter would be and how ONE would explain MB being absent at the end of the arc. Even with injuries from the Centipede, Bat held his own against Garou better than every other Hero save Saitama and Bang.

Calling him a jobber is silly, especially after he solo'd all those centipedes before going down.

Edit: I forgot this isn't the last thread! Webcomic spoilers marked. Sealed, can you edit your post as well when your get the chance? Thx!

Sealed

Banned
... After having his fight against a dragon level threat interrupted and against an opponent with a skill set specifically designed to counter Heroes/humans. Garou said himself he would have lost if it weren't for his ability to dodge MB. And he was visibly shaking just from only deflecting Bat's swings.

C'mon. We knew going into that fight Metal Bat wasn't taking him down. It was just a matter of how badass the encounter would be and how ONE would explain MB being absent at the end of the arc. Even with injuries from the Centipede, Bat held his own against Garou better than every other Hero save Saitama and Bang.

Calling him a jobber is silly, especially after he solo'd all those centipedes before going down.

9pjJLg2.gif

Sealed

Banned
I'd recommend to check out Makai no Ossan if you like ONE's humor.

is it? Haven't read the more recent chapters but it still could go on after this arc is over, I believe it depends more on what ONE wants to do with it. but yeah, if it actually ends he's probably going to focus on OPM alone.

idk, this guy that Mob is fighting now certainly seems like final boss material.

i would not be surprised at all if it ended after this arc.

Finalow

I mean, if he wants to, he can probably find something else (whether it's an even stronger ''boss'' or not) to keep the manga going.
need more Reigen

Sealed

Banned
I mean, if he wants to, he can probably find something else (whether it's an even stronger ''boss'' or not) to keep the manga going.
need more Reigen

that's true. I would be happy if he kept going with it as well.

and yes, he's the best.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
No? He merely wanted to become a strong hero.
Also, his workload is far below lets say Tanktop Master. If simply working out like a maniac would give super powers beyond peer, Tanktop Master would rule.

My idea: Saitamas Superpower is ridiculous training gains. His body simply is hyper-receptive to training :p

Yes?

icQPDAf.jpg

Also Tanktop Master thinks its wearing a tank top that gives him super powers. This isn't a super complex kinda thing really.

Mega

Banned
"hi, I'm a fan of Genos, will he ever stop being a jobber? No, sorry."

this made me laugh hard!!!

we all know genos will get his time to shine against
bofoy/metal knight

edit: manga reader here

No way. The way I see it,
Genos will get beat down by Bofoy's ultimate cyborg and Saitama will save him in the name of friendship... or something.

I'm caught up with the webcomic and
Tatsumaki is definitely going to fall for Saitama and it will be amazing because he won't reciprocate for a looong time, if ever. It'll be just like how he couldn't be bothered to take on disciples or find work or listen to speeches or do anything involving patience really.

Regarding God inside Saitama:
Saitama has no God inside of him. I thought it was heavily implied that a God, or the OPM universe's one God, is the one creating all the monsters like how he gave that homeless guy superpowers. OPM is a regular guy who broke the power limiter God/fate/universe places on each person. My guess is the God level threat will in fact be God itself coming to wipe out all existence after being tainted by an unexpected variable (Saitama). The God level threat definitely isn't Boros, Garou or Bofoy (Bofoy = next big story arc I think). I do like the theory that Saitama is an unexpected wild card that that the universe never saw coming and that Garou and Boros were originally meant fo fight each other.

Anyway I took a many months long break from the webcomic and I'm dismayed at how few chapters have come out since. Geez. :(

Sealed

Banned
No way. The way I see it,
Genos will get beat down by Bofoy's ultimate cyborg and Saitama will save him in the name of friendship... or something.

I'm caught up with the webcomic and
Tatsumaki is definitely going to fall for Saitama and it will be amazing because he won't reciprocate for a looong time, if ever. It'll be just like how he couldn't be bothered to take on disciples or find work or listen to speeches or do anything involving patience really.

Saitama has no God inside of him. I thought it was heavily implied that a God, or the OPM universe's one God, is the one creating all the monsters like how he gave that homeless guy superpowers. OPM is a regular guy who broke the power limiter God/fate/universe places on each person. My guess is the God level threat will in fact be God itself coming to wipe out all existence after being tainted by an unexpected variable (Saitama). The God level threat definitely isn't Boros, Garou or Bofoy (Bofoy = next big story arc I think). I do like the theory that Saitama is an unexpected wild card that that the universe never saw coming and that Garou and Boros were originally meant fo fight each other.

Anyway I took a many months long break from the webcomic and I'm dismayed at how few chapters have come out since. Geez. :(

i like that bit about God/Saitama

Yeah, I definitely believe we haven't seen the last of that
God inside the Hobo King

But man, if filler was always as quality and world/story-enhancing as the Garou/Metal Bat fight I'd want nothing but filler. Hot damn was all of these chapters fantastic.

Fusebox

Banned

Fair enough, but what about the giant footprint and giant fist?

Mega

Banned
Just looked it up. It was Homeless Emperor. Something enormously huge is coming. Exciting stuff.

Fair enough, but what about the giant footprint and giant fist?

I don't remember the giant footprint, but I thought the giant fist (Genos spar session?) was just anime trope. I don't watch a lot of anime or read much manga, but classic example is Goku's final attack vs King Piccolo. It's the visual display of power behind an attack, not that the person has actually become gigantic.

i like that bit about God/Saitama

If God created and preordained everything (fate), then Saitama is circumventing fate which is tantamount to defying God and mocking his will. This is exemplary in
the alien psychic's fight prediction. A psychic basically glimpses into God's fated plan, what is supposed to happen and Saitama messed that up. Maybe Boros was meant to fight Garou or meet his equal on some other planet. Maybe Garou was meant to defeat the heroes and usher in a new age of villains/monsters. He goes on at length about how the entire fight vs OPM is UNFAIR, how unlikely and crazy the whole thing is.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Just looked it up. It was Homeless Emperor. Something enormously huge is coming. Exciting stuff.

If God created and preordained everything (fate), then Saitama is circumventing fate which is tantamount to defying God and mocking his will. This is exemplary in
the alien psychic's fight prediction. A psychic basically glimpses into God's fated plan, what is supposed to happen and Saitama messed that up. Maybe Boros was meant to fight Garou or meet his equal on some other planet. Maybe Garou was meant to defeat the heroes and usher in a new age of villains/monsters. He goes on at length about how the entire fight vs OPM is UNFAIR, how unlikely and crazy the whole thing is.

Well, wouldn't that mean that
that Garou has also circumvented God's plan as well? Garou much like Saitama has broken his limiter and I thought the alien psychic predicted that Boros would encounter a very strong opponent on Earth and at that time point Garou hadn't begun to hero hunt, let alone crack his limiter so I personally don't believe the opponent that was destined for Boros was Garou. Actually definitely he wouldn't have been a challenge for Boros considering that Garou and Genos had a run and Genos was actually poised to kill him but Garou somehow escaped which when Garou began to evolve remarked on saying something along the lines of "too bad you didn't kill me when you had the chance. So that disproves that Garou was the predicted being Boros would encounter unless you believe that Genos could have defeated Boros...Also the predicted planet was Earth. They'd been traveling to Earth since before Saitama was born or the Hero Association were even conceived,

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Has ONE actually said that applies to Saitama though, or is this just an assumption?

I can't remember exactly, but considering the training that Saitama did, it'd be a natural assumption considering Genos and Carnage Kabuto reprimanded him for saying resistance and weight training is what got him to where he is and Saitama is shocked because he is telling them the truth and they don't believe him.

Finalow

(ONE spoilers)
-
yes, you can just link the page directly.

I do believe that part and the God thing are going to play an important role in the future. however I don't remeber ONE ever
saying that Saitama broke his limiter, we can just assume. considering how a villain already got there we can also assume that he's way past that point.

Didn't Saitama just will himself into becoming impossibly powerful? I mean I think he underwent something similar to Crablante or Personification Of A Light Pull Cord, those guys were so obsessed/did something so many times that they actually transformed, also Garô
turned into a monster.

Saitama said (even in a reflexive inner dialogue) that the obsession with becoming the hero he wanted to be when he was a kid was what kept him alive after all the bleakness of job-hunting and general dissatisfaction with adult life. After putting his own life in the line and going with his training for over a year without ever faltering he turned himself in what he wanted to become, even the hair loss can be seen as a side effect of his transformation. Dunno if it'll ever be adressed but It's perfectly good explanation to me.

Reset

Well yeah he said his attack was powerful. I was just hoping Metal Bat was at least able to either knock out Garou and then get distracted by the Dragon level monsters giving Garou time to power up or escape. Or I was hoping Metal Bat would have gone done by a cheap shot by the monsters. But having your best attack deflected and then going down just made it seem disappointing for him. If he doesn't get up next chapter. I'll be disappointed.

The God level threat definitely isn't Boros, Garou(
They're both easily God level threats though. A god level threat is someone who's able to wipe out humanity. Boros' final attack shows that he's easily God level.

Mega

Banned
Maybe Boros, but Garou seems to have a lot less destructive power. His forte is his lethal precision and unrivaled martial arts.

Sealed

Banned
The footprint was in the hero physical test, fist when he was sparring with Genos.

the footprint was normal sized

the giant fist was symbolic; it represented Saitama's overwhelming strength. Basically it was all in Genos' head/for effect.

I can't remember exactly, but considering the training that Saitama did, it'd be a natural assumption considering Genos and Carnage Kabuto reprimanded him for saying resistance and weight training is what got him to where he is and Saitama is shocked because he is telling them the truth and they don't believe him.

Has ONE actually said that applies to Saitama though, or is this just an assumption?

ONE has never confirmed this to be the case for Saitama. The canon explanation for his powers is still 100 Push-Ups, 100 Squats and 10 KM running

EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

Maybe Boros, but Garou seems to have a lot less destructive power. His forte is his lethal precision and unrivaled martial arts.

i mean, tbf when Garou was at his peak
he managed to overwhelm every S class hero present, including Tatsumaki, so it seems pretty implausible that anyone else could have stopped him; he probably could wipe out humanity, but it might take a while since he doesn't have energy explosions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom