• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OOTP Baseball 17 officially available - NeoGAF League Details

I've spent enough time trolling in my past internet life that I tend to avoid most of that these days. I'm basically in here and the steam thread on the gaming side.

E: ^ Guess it's probably a 3 or 7 day ban

Ahhh welp time to try the discord this weekend!

Commish, we've all been there.

Guessing me or Rommel could update when Brent fired up HAL. Since we seem to be the most attuned to the Pavlovian call of the daily update.

I got Ed Collins in the Figueroa deal, and my team's usage of him has been really weird. He's nominally my 'closer', but most of his 14 saves are of the 3 inning variety. He's logged 116 1/3 IP in 56 appearances, and leads my team in Ks. It's like I have a stopper from the 70's or something.

I got Ed Collins in the Figueroa deal, and my team's usage of him has been really weird. He's nominally my 'closer', but most of his 14 saves are of the 3 inning variety. He's logged 116 1/3 IP in 56 appearances, and leads my team in Ks. It's like I have a stopper from the 70's or something.

I use all my best relievers as stoppers, they don't get a lot of saves but I feel they have more impact.

Oddly in OOTP 18 I can't seem to set relievers this way.

Fun fact - of the top 50 pitching prospects rated by OSA, 11 of them are Cubs! As a result, they have, unsurprisingly, the #1 farm system by far.

Fun note from today's sim results:

Raul Garcia, I guy I bumped up from AAA to fill a hole from an injury to Peguero, hit for the cycle. The guy only has 8 hits in his major league career, lol

Rommel

Ahhh welp time to try the discord this weekend!

Commish, we've all been there.

Guessing me or Rommel could update when Brent fired up HAL. Since we seem to be the most attuned to the Pavlovian call of the daily update.

What is the discord channel? I can pop in and check on it if needed.

I think I might've been just a little hasty pushing Ivan Arroyo to the show. His glove has always been superb, but in his 1041 career AB's so far, dude has 11 walks. I then look at the numbers Figueroa has been putting up and get sad - he has 99 BB's this season. Compare that to my current walk leader, Abbott, who has 35. My team OBP is .291.

I really hope this is what rock bottom looks like.

OOTP has seen into the future of bullpen usage. I'd be okay with the return of guys like Fingers, Sutter, Hrabosky and Gossage.

CLE and OAK making late season wild card pushes, but may not be enough. Hold on Bmore! You and DET are the AL hyumahns only hope!

EDIT: Hmmmm new sim has OAK 9-1 over last 10, 3.5 out of the wild card with a little over a week left. Going to run out of time unless the Angels or O's collapse.

Yaaaay. My third 10+ game losing streak this season! Where the hell is my trophy?

Although half of my remaining games are against the Mariners, so I have to win at least a couple of those, right Cheeto?

Looking at some history, I think my 2025 pitching staff probably makes the top 5 of worst staffs in MLB history. And my offense is also one of the worst ever. Though not as bad as my pitching.

OMG my guys are on a 14-2 run and are now only 1/2 back of the wild card and 3 back in the division.

7 games left, 4 against the division leading Angels. Huh.

And look at our boy Rommel, now leading the NL West, 18-8 in the month of September.

My team has gone 34-20 the last two months. Too bad I had a month where I won 6 games the whole month, I might be in a playoff hunt.

Second season Mike Trout ends the year on the DL :/

Yaaaay. My third 10+ game losing streak this season! Where the hell is my trophy?

Although half of my remaining games are against the Mariners, so I have to win at least a couple of those, right Cheeto?

Looking at some history, I think my 2025 pitching staff probably makes the top 5 of worst staffs in MLB history. And my offense is also one of the worst ever. Though not as bad as my pitching.

Despite you historically owning me, my team has been red hot in September, 17-9 with 2 games to go and 8-2 in the last 10.

If my team goes 4-2 over the final 6 I finish at .500, and given that 3 of those games are vs Houston that might be possible.

OMG

C'mon Dodgers... just one more win!

Congrats to Shakes and Rommel for making it to the next round. Hoping LawyerCop and I have one more game to play. We'll see!

Well, I still swept the A's in our final series (my only series sweep of the season!). CQ would've clinched if I had lost even one of those games.

Hope you get your check in the mail from DLC soon!

Also:

38 year old Buster Posey ends the year 1 RBI short of 1,000. Was a -0.3WAR player in 88 games for COL. Under contract for one more year, see how it goes.

41 year old Prince Fielder 4 HR away from 500. Had a 2.8WAR season for NYY and COL, should get there.

42 year old Miguel Cabrera hangs them up after a -1.6WAR season for DET. Finishes at 101.7 career WAR, .304/.388/.917 with 3,602 hits, 637 HR, 2,122 RBI over a 22 year career spanning 13,658 plate appearances. 13 time all-star, 2 time MVP, 10 time Silver Slugger. Clearly a first ballot HOF player.

Mike Trout is now the active career leader in WAR, at 94.2. 2.4k hits, 356 HR, 156 OPS+, 300 SB, 7.8k AB

David Bedgood has a bit more than half the at bats of Trout (4.2k), 60.3 WAR already.

Justin Verlander has reached 66.1 career WAR with 3,282 Ks over 3,872 IP. He's 258-205, 3.84, 1.25 over his career. He's now 42 years old, but just put up a 1.8 WAR season for COL.

Depends, if Baltimore can beat the Dodgers then they win it. If they lose then the WC playoff will occur. 3 games left on the final day.

Well, I still swept the A's in our final series (my only series sweep of the season!). CQ would've clinched if I had lost even one of those games.

Oh goddddd. I've got to beat the Dodgers and De Leon, or there's a tie-breaker. If I fail to make the playoffs, I'm placing all blame on Colt Gorman.

My upload is ready if Brent wants to sim another day. No need to wait a whole day on my behalf.

Josh5890

If we do, it will only be a few days.

Hi, I picked up this year's version last week. I am having a lot of fun with it. I would love to get into the league with all of you when you start up next season. Are you starting fresh or are you picking up where you left with the new version?

Rommel

It looks like Baltimore couldn't seal the deal. The final showdown between OAK and BAL tomorrow!

Hi, I picked up this year's version last week. I am having a lot of fun with it. I would love to get into the league with all of you when you start up next season. Are you starting fresh or are you picking up where you left with the new version?

We will be continuing with the current league, but there are a number of open teams which you could choose from. In the next week or so we will begin the transition.

Ugh. I'm updated if you want to sim. Of course it would all come down to Danner. He's been awesome this year, but has been inconsistent in the past, especially in the playoffs.

Best of luck OAK

giphy.gif

Best of luck OAK

Back at ya. GL HF. In any case, another hyumahn enters the playoffs so all good.

Please join! It's very good fun, and even though we're entering 2026 it's easy to pick up.

Check out post 2 for available teams, then check out some rosters from the league homepage. The Phillies, Rangers, Padres, Giants are all pretty interesting. Not sure who your IRL team is, but there's some interesting free agent clubs right now.

Josh5890

OK, I'll dive into these rosters and take a long look. I am a Cubs fan but I wouldn't mind picking someone else. Question, how do the drafts work. Is it a live draft or do you set up your draft board and the simulation takes over?

OK, I'll dive into these rosters and take a long look. I am a Cubs fan but I wouldn't mind picking someone else. Question, how do the drafts work. Is it a live draft or do you set up your draft board and the simulation takes over?

Well, you'll have whatever roster you end up selecting, and when drafts occur you basically make a list of the guys you want in the order you want them, and the simulation runs through all the rounds and takes the guys in draft order.

Congrats DLC!!! Go make it happen humans!!! Fuck the CPU!!!! Let's goooooooooooooooooo humanityyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Great season, really made it interesting down the stretch. This might be my favorite team I've had. A lot of guys contributing that I drafted and developed. I'm hoping I get past the WC round because I think I have a shot against just about any team in a full series.

This was my most disappointing season yet. we started pretty good too just collapsed in the second half. Offense and pitching just fell apart this year.

This was my most disappointing season yet. we started pretty good too just collapsed in the second half. Offense and pitching just fell apart this year.

Same here, man. Was sitting at .500 at the halfway mark with a solid shot at the division, and then starting pitching and batting averages went to shit. Fortunately my bullpen and defensive efficiency improved bigly.

Yesssssss. Huge win. Now I have to face the Tigers, should be a good series. I wish I was able to set up my rotation since my 4th starter is leading off the series, but it was all hands on deck last game as my 3rd SP got the save.

Top Bottom