• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy - |OT| The truth about 8.

pariah164

I missed this quote from RPGFan's review:

EK99h.gif

And this is from someone who didn't think Unchained Blades was that bad.
Unchained Blades was not bad, but comparing it to this game? As something better?

4622173.gif

CrovaxPSO

uh, trophy question

Filthy Stinkin' Rich: "You've collected 300,000 GP. It may be digital currency, but you're still loaded!"

I have more than 300,000 GP but the trophy hasn't unlocked. I tried messing around with the amount I have on hand, in the storage. Even tried to put 299,999 on hand and fight a battle to try to trigger it.

Any ideas?

-

e: Oh, it appeared kinda randomly when roaming the city. ~nevermind~

It seems to be a weird trigger in all of their games. I think it triggers when you return to the academy with the required amount of GP. In Operation Babel I got it after I received a 1.5 million GP reward and went back, even though I had well over the 500,000 the trophy requires long before that. Just never had it all on me at once. I probably could have just taken it out of storage and left into a dungeon and then came back to get it much earlier.

Also, since people are talking about the older art style of classic mode, those interested can see the older designs for some of the characters on the Cross Blood Infinity Ultimate site: http://5pb.jp/games/xbloodiu/character/

Tohsaka

Anyone else annoyed by the sound Float makes while you're walking? I'm playing it on the PS TV and it just sounds overly loud through my speakers.

EK99h.gif

I literally laughed out loud when I read that

Unchained blades is... Something else, but definitely not something I would recommend above this game by any stretch of the imagination.

autoduelist

I'm not going to be able to keep up with the pace you guys are playing this.

Level 4. Things are really starting to click now.

I made it to.... well, the university. Yup, all I've had time for so far was to click x about 30 times and read intro text.

Balancing dungeoneering and parenting is hard. Well, it's easy, it's just that parenting wins out every time so there's little time for dungeons (doesn't help that i've got other games in motion).

I'm using 'Classic' because from what I can tell Classic shows your equipment and Basic doesn't, right? That's essentially the only difference?

Shizuka

Should I keep materials or deliver them? What's good to deliver?

I sold repeat weapons and armors when I needed money for the Squeaky Hammer, but you don't really have to sell anything since you have a lot of space available. I delivered everything the Director requested, since you can always fetch more.

I made it to.... well, the university. Yup, all I've had time for so far was to click x about 30 times and read intro text.

Balancing dungeoneering and parenting is hard. Well, it's easy, it's just that parenting wins out every time so there's little time for dungeons (doesn't help that i've got other games in motion).

I'm using 'Classic' because from what I can tell Classic shows your equipment and Basic doesn't, right? That's essentially the only difference?

Basic also has new and updated UI as I understand, with new artwork and menu design. I haven't played classic so I'm going by what I've read here and elsewhere

CrovaxPSO

Basic also has new and updated UI as I understand, with new artwork and menu design. I haven't played classic so I'm going by what I've read here and elsewhere

Only UI difference is that the party arrangement is different to fit the old portraits. Pretty much looks like this (this is from Cross Blood but the classic Abyss layout is pretty much the same). Don't have a screenshot from Abyss, maybe someone can post one.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Its not end of the world bad but I do think I now understand "I get what I paid for" at least in terms of shipping lol

did you read my post >>
Because the Nisa store did not wrap my ordner good enough one of the corners of the limited edition and one of the art book is smashed -_-...

So I'll have to read how much fun you guys have >>..

Edit: Nisa support is incredible. wrote an email 25 minutes ago and already the problem is solved, I can start play the game and "OK, what I shall do is request a new Limited Edition Box and Art Book to be sent out to you tomorrow. I will ask our fulfilment team to double check those items to ensure that they are in pristine condition before sending them to you."

Mine looked just like yours..shit. feel sorry for you.

So I just started and got the pre made team. I never played a dungen jrpg before. I read the OP..some hints/information beside that?

CrovaxPSO

did you read my post >>

So I just started and got the pre made team. I never played a dungen jrpg before. I read the OP..some hints/information beside that?

Parakeetman did a good job including commonly asked questions and some good tips in the OP. Can't think of much that wasn't covered there. Definitely feel free to ask if you run into a problem or have a specific question though. Several people have finished the game now so plenty of people should be able to answer anything.

JPS Kai

did you read my post >>

Don't be afraid to grind.
Don't over-extend yourself. Return to town when you feel like you're at your limit
Power Recorders are the only way to save mid-dungeon
Academics break the game in a wonderful way.
Every character should raise their PHY once in a while.

redcrayon

Don't be afraid to grind.
Don't over-extend yourself. Return to town when you feel like you're at your limit
Power Recorders are the only way to save mid-dungeon
Academics break the game in a wonderful way.
Every character should raise their PHY once in a while.
Just out of interest, what's so broken about them? The thief skills seem essential, and I use their Unite ability to get a free turn a lot more than the others, but I'm curious, do they get some badass spells or something? My party's only level 8 so I'm still getting used to the skills/unite abilities.

Ran into a monster I was having trouble to hit, so i equipped my knight with a good lance and had her spam the skill for an accurate attack. Seemed to work!

cj_iwakura

Unchained Blades was really underrated. It's a great DC with a horrible forced DDR thing. Almost no one here touched it, OT was a wasteland.

Unchained Blades was really underrated. It's a great DC with a horrible forced DDR thing. Almost no one here touched it, OT was a wasteland.

I liked it. I enjoyed it. I was extremely LTTP on it.. but Operation Abyss is clearly beyond it in sound, music, art, UI, game play, setting, etc

Every category, really.

I guess that rpgfan reviewer just really loved unchained blades and this didn't compare, or more likely, he hated this game so much, that he took a dig at it by referencing UB.

Saphirax

Just out of interest, what's so broken about them? The thief skills seem essential, and I use their Unite ability to get a free turn a lot more than the others, but I'm curious, do they get some badass spells or something? My party's only level 8 so I'm still getting used to the skills/unite abilities.

Ran into a monster I was having trouble to hit, so i equipped my knight with a good lance and had her spam the skill for an accurate attack. Seemed to work!

An academic will save you a lot of GP with their skills such as 'Call Portal' and their return spell. They can also fully charge your unity gauge without any downsides.

Of course, they're also essential if you want to open all the chips. The damage from the traps won't kill you early on, but later on? You'll be dead :p.

redcrayon

An academic will save you a lot of GP with their skills such as 'Call Portal' and their return spell. They can also fully charge your unity gauge without any downsides.

Of course, they're also essential if you want to open all the chips. The damage from the traps won't kill you early on, but later on? You'll be dead :p.
Ah, ok. That Unity gauge skill sounds a bit good considering that my warrior has to concentrate for a turn before he can bash people with his skill. I can see Call Portal as a spell he gets later on, not what it does though!

Shizuka

Ah, ok. That Unity gauge skill sounds a bit good considering that my warrior has to concentrate for a turn before he can bash people with his skill. I can see Call Portal as a spell he gets later on, not what it does though!

You can teleport yourself to any spot you've previously been in the map.

So I just got Providence on my Knight and Quick Slash 1 on my Samurai. Is there any reason not to spam these abilities instead of basic attacks?

Shizuka

So I just got Providence on my Knight and Quick Slash 1 on my Samurai. Is there any reason not to spam these abilities instead of basic attacks?

Quick Slash I is slightly weaker than your normal attack, just don't use it against single enemies and you're good.

SougoXIII

I'm sorry if this was asked before, but does stat allocation matter? Since Phys increase HP gain, should I dump it to the max before increase others?

CrovaxPSO

I'm sorry if this was asked before, but does stat allocation matter? Since Phys increase HP gain, should I dump it to the max before increase others?

You'll want some on every class just to avoid being wiped out by AoE attacks but definitely don't max it out or your damage output will be bad. I've found that no more than 15 on anyone other than the knight works well enough.

Edit: To clarify, that's a total of 15, not an additional +15 from the start.

Seda

I'm pretty sure Phys doesn't, like, boost the HP increase for every subsequent levelup or anything like that, so it's not like you are maxing stats it by putting points into it early.

It is one of those stats that you should put some points to for every class though.

bobohoro

Yeah, right now I'm aiming for 15 Lck for everyone (a bit more for Wiz/Ac/S) and afterwards 15 Phy as well (Knight will go higher of course). Should work well from a defensive standpoint, I guess.

autoduelist

Is there any benefit to mixing alignments (good/evil/etc) in a party? Based on the OP, it appears to hurt your party unity... but allows different weapon equips (though it sounds like you can avoid that using something). So.... what's the benefit of mixing? It says you can get different skills, but since i have no idea what skills are best for each class based on alignment.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Is Basic the easy mode of the game?

This game does not have any real difficulty mode setting outside of using the hachi dlc item.

I'm pretty sure Phys doesn't, like, boost the HP increase for every subsequent levelup or anything like that, so it's not like you are maxing stats it by putting points into it early.

It is one of those stats that you should put some points to for every class though.

Apparently what it seems to effect is the max hp for the characters. Also the resistance to the 1HK type of attacks. Went and looked it up again

Eh, my review finally went live while I was at work. Had the added effect of showing a couple customers that were looking for new RPG's to play and got one sale because of it.

http://www.justpushstart.com/2015/06/operation-abyss-new-tokyo-legacy-review/

Added your review to the OT!

CrovaxPSO

Is there any benefit to mixing alignments (good/evil/etc) in a party? Based on the OP, it appears to hurt your party unity... but allows different weapon equips (though it sounds like you can avoid that using something). So.... what's the benefit of mixing? It says you can get different skills, but since i have no idea what skills are best for each class based on alignment.

Alignment requirements on equipment aren't really anything to worry about. Some wizard gear can only be used by neutral or evil alignment for example, but there's plenty of other stuff so it's not like you'd be screwed by having a good wizard. I never looked too closely at the unity rating stuff, since I think it just affects how quickly you "level up" the unity meter, which is easy enough to do by just making sure you use the union skills frequently. For what it's worth, I always make my entire party good except for having a neutral knight and wizard. Some items have a random element to their requirements, like MURAMASA, but you can just sell and rebuy it to get a new roll on that.

Parakeetman

Yeah, right now I'm aiming for 15 Lck for everyone (a bit more for Wiz/Ac/S) and afterwards 15 Phy as well (Knight will go higher of course). Should work well from a defensive standpoint, I guess.

For the Academic you want the LUK to be in around the 20s / 20+, PHY 10-15, After that raise the SPD, WIS, SPI

Speed effects disarming traps.

Mys and Wis both effect that Brainspire skill.

bobohoro

For the Academic you want the luck to be in around the 20s is the general recommendation.

Speed effects disarming traps.

Int and Wis both effect that Brainspire skill.

Didn't know about the bolded. But then again, I've never seen my Academic fail at disarming traps until now, the beginning of Part II, and I believe his speed to be at around 8 only.

The way stats work in this game and what they influence, directly or indirectly, is kinda bizarre at times. That's why I like my knight, 20 points into PHY, another 20 into LCK and the rest can go to whatever.

And I'm sure you'll come back to me in 5 minutes telling me how SPI influences some totally awesome skill of the knight later on or something like that, right? :D

Seda

I cleared the post-game boss
Alice and Akito
and maybe today I can finish up the rest of the game. Gotta figure the final dungeon parts first though.

Parakeetman

Didn't know about the bolded. But then again, I've never seen my Academic fail at disarming traps until now, the beginning of Part II, and I believe his speed to be at around 8 only.

The way stats work in this game and what they influence, directly or indirectly, is kinda bizarre at times. That's why I like my knight, 20 points into PHY, another 20 into LCK and the rest can go to whatever.

And I'm sure you'll come back to me in 5 minutes telling me how SPI influences some totally awesome skill of the knight later on or something like that, right? :D

I still dont understand why one of the knight blood codes comes with SPI considering it does not seem like for skill allocation you need SPI looking at the wiki. Same goes for the skills it uses. Kind of odd really. The 2 builds are attack and defense. Defense is mainly PHY and LUK maxed out. From there SPD. Its kind of weird really lol

Top Bottom