• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy - |OT| The truth about 8.

So far I think this is leagues better than Demon Gaze. Like a poster said above, you feel like you have much more control over what's happening during battles.
Also I really dig the stylistic superhero/cyberpunk-lite/x-men children of the dna of legendary heroes thing they've got going on here.

I love it.

So far I think this is leagues better than Demon Gaze. Like a poster said above, you feel like you have much more control over what's happening during battles.
Also I really dig the stylistic superhero/cyberpunk-lite/x-men children of the dna of legendary heroes thing they've got going on here.

I love it.

I totally agree. The setting is super cool. The mechanics might be a tad more obfuscated than in Demon Gaze, but I can live with that.

Seda

Okay so I've beaten the main game but one thing I wasn't totally sure about. One of the loading screen tips is that armor defense is actually <armor level> x <defense stat of armor>. So it seems a level 1 armor piece that has been boosted a bunch with a high defense is not as effective as a higher level armor with a lower defense stat.

Is it literally just a multiplication? Is there any place to see this 'true defense' stat? The status screen only seems to reflect the totaled defense stat listed for your armor. I apologize if this is a common element to these types of games, I'm just not super familiar with it.

I don't have my Vita on me so I might be misremembering

Saphirax

Ugh, need tips on how to defeat
Yuyu
. No matter how I buff myself or try to debuff the boss, I still miss 90% of the time. What am I missing? (pun not intended!)

Munkyspace

Safe to say that I hated the game for the first two hours or so of playing mainly because I kept comparing it to Demon Gaze. Then I remembered I hated Demon Gaze for the first two hours, too.

Now that my party is actually starting to fill out, it's definitely more enjoyable.

Shizuka

What is the best stat for archers: Speed or Strength?

I'd go with Strenght first, Speed after, but I'm going with the Archer I made in DG.

Okay so I've beaten the main game but one thing I wasn't totally sure about. One of the loading screen tips is that armor defense is actually <armor level> x <defense stat of armor>. So it seems a level 1 armor piece that has been boosted a bunch with a high defense is not as effective as a higher level armor with a lower defense stat.

Is it literally just a multiplication? Is there any place to see this 'true defense' stat? The status screen only seems to reflect the totaled defense stat listed for your armor. I apologize if this is a common element to these types of games, I'm just not super familiar with it.

It could be, but I never actually bothered. Same goes for the weapons and the number of hits, I'd just go for the strongest one.

Ugh, need tips on how to defeat
Yuyu
. No matter how I buff myself or try to debuff the boss, I still miss 90% of the time. What am I missing? (pun not intended!)

Have you tried using spells? Specifically, use the magic enhancing unity skill and the concentration skill for the Wizard before casting the spell.

Saphirax

I'd go with Strenght first, Speed after, but I'm going with the Archer I made in DG.

It could be, but I never actually bothered. Same goes for the weapons and the number of hits, I'd just go for the strongest one.

Have you tried using spells? Specifically, use the magic enhancing unity skill and the concentration skill for the Wizard before casting the spell.

Tried just normal spells. Will try buffing them and see how it goes!

CrovaxPSO

While playing the Japanese releases I wasn't aware of that so I'll be interested to see what the case is. For me, the main reason to try to get new equipment is for the better (lower) hit and avoid ratings which aren't affected by boosting. I'll almost always sacrifice higher defense for a relatively small chance to avoid increase on the knight, for example.

Also, I never got the elements right, so I'd keep switching until I found one that'd deal the most damage.

I always have trouble remembering the order as well. Now I just remember that "fire burns earth" which lets me remember the rest of the "cycle" better: water > fire > earth > wind > water.

Edit: And light and dark are strong against each other.

KiTA

Grabbed all the DLC, including the Swimsuits. Eh, why not?

Now I just gotta figure out if I want to go Classic or Basic. Probably Basic, tbh... Kinda wish you could switch after starting.

Shifty1897

Thanks Shizuka and everyone else for your help and advice. There's not a lot of information about the game right now and as someone who is a novice to dungeon crawlers, your help on here is much appreciated.

Now I just gotta figure out if I want to go Classic or Basic. Probably Basic, tbh... Kinda wish you could switch after starting.

Same. I'm starting the game later today, and I'm still deciding which to go with. Probably basic so I can use the dlc, but classic still looks fun too.

Save yourself the headaches and go with basic. You are gonna be spending a lot of time understanding the game in the beginning, so don't make it harder on yourself. If anything, create new characters, change their portraits, but try to stick to the stats that were given to you, since this party setup is sure to help you get through everything in the game. Every character I have right now is useful in their own way. At the start it may not seem like it, but as you progress you will see that subbing one for something else might cripple you in a way.

Ohnonono

Still need to pick this up even though I am in a MH4U hole at the moment. May get started tonight. Hopefully I don't bone up character creation too bad!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yeah, I kinda figured. Ah well, thanks for the tip! Also, what are the primary damage stats for Archer and Assassin? Is STR still required, or should I just be stacking up LUK and SPD?

yeah you will want str too but luk and spd are important.

there is a weird build that uses phy but am not too familiar with it

Parakeetman

What is the best stat for archers: Speed or Strength?

both balance the two out going heavy in str first does not help if you cant hit anything. lol

I dont think there is anyplace to see the true defense stat. Id have to look up if there is any sort of actual formula. Since do not recall seeing one. there is something also that has to do with that rating % given from the teamwork status or something, not sure what they localized it to. It has to do with the whole alignment mess also which am not too sure how that whole system works but from what I saw it does seem to effect the characters stats including defense?

Heh, colour me intruiged. I love stupid janky builds. Thanks again.

no problem

also try looking up info on their lv 1 passive.

bobohoro

I went with basic and I'm glad I did, the portraits are awesome and the party UI looks better.

Yeah, everything is just more fitting, story NPCs and all. I would have loved it if the other mode also changed the overall look of the game, NPCs and all, so it would be coherent. Would have been a reason to go through it again. Oh well.

Finished part I, it's a good game, especially for people into the genre, but I'm honestly surprised the game reviewed as average-to-good as it did. There is so many things you could rip it apart for, coming from a modern design and mainstream gaming standpoint.

CrovaxPSO

Yeah, everything is just more fitting, story NPCs and all. I would have loved it if the other mode also changed the overall look of the game, NPCs and all, so it would be coherent. Would have been a reason to go through it again. Oh well.

Finished part I, it's a good game, especially for people into the genre, but I'm honestly surprised the game reviewed as average-to-good as it did. There is so many things you could rip it apart for, coming from a modern design and mainstream gaming standpoint.

You could, but I don't think it tries to be a modern or mainstream game. It has some modern conveniences like autopilot and dungeon memos, but it's an older game based on even older games.

Parakeetman

Reviewers need to review something for what it is. Rather than always trying to compare it to other things and design methods.

Sides these games are not made for mainstream gamers anyways.

pariah164

My new party in Classic mode:

ONCbf77.jpg
reenlT3.jpg

CnmYIg3.jpg
gbhgMxW.jpg

rJxEUFA.jpg
ggHn2DU.jpg
I like it better already.

Hmm, I feel like I should just deal with it. Its the corner of the big box holding everything that was damaged, the book inside was a bit bent out of shape but the cd and game case were ok.

I mean you paid extra for it. You didn't pay extra to get a beat up version.

Depending on how beat up it was I might just deal with it too.
It's what's in the pages that's so good, not how crisp they are.

The art book is amazing but I'm a little anxious about flipping through it past the first couple of pages because of spoilers!

The art and music in this game is really great. Super happy I upgraded to the LE.

-Horizon-

I mean you paid extra for it. You didn't pay extra to get a beat up version.

Depending on how beat up it was I might just deal with it too.
It's what's in the pages that's so good, not how crisp they are.

The art book is amazing but I'm a little anxious about flipping through it past the first couple of pages because of spoilers!

The art and music in this game is really great. Super happy I upgraded to the LE.

Its not end of the world bad but I do think I now understand "I get what I paid for" at least in terms of shipping lol

Hubb

I kind of wish you could use the NPC art in a NG+. I'd like to use some of their portraits for my party members.

bobohoro

You could, but I don't think it tries to be a modern or mainstream game. It has some modern conveniences like autopilot and dungeon memos, but it's an older game based on even older games.

Reviewers need to review something for what it is. Rather than always trying to compare it to other things and design methods.

Sides these games are not made for mainstream gamers anyways.

Sure thing, I just think it has several shortcomings even if you judge it for what it is. From the amount of information it provides and how it's displayed, to some needlessly complicated menus and systems, as well as a somewhat shallow battle system in rather blandly structured dungeons, it could use a bit of an overhaul in some areas. But I can also respect that it tries to recreate two classic games and heck, I have fun with it at times because it's so unassumingly old-school.

It feels a bit like the time I was playing Ys 1&2 three years ago. I could see how great the games were for its time, and how fun they still are, but also how far game design has come along over all these years and that kinda left me conflicted at how I ultimately felt about the games. In the end I decided to just have fun and play games, but the question how classics (and their remakes/remasters) should be viewed from an analytical point and judged, be it for oneself or as a public review, is still one I can't quite figure out.

But I'm getting way OT and just rumble on half-asleep, excuse me.

I think I'm gonna ditch my warrior some time in the future. I want to try the other classes, but knight/physician/magician/academic are just way to convenient to not have around, and without a samurai battles would take probably twice as much time, so the warrior feels like the only one that can be replaced without impacting overall performance much. Will probably try the monk.

How useful is the conjurer? The contract thingy seems pretty fun, although kind of a hassle to maintain.

Parakeetman

Sure thing, I just think it has several shortcomings even if you judge it for what it is. From the amount of information it provides and how it's displayed, to some needlessly complicated menus and systems, as well as a somewhat shallow battle system in rather blandly structured dungeons, it could use a bit of an overhaul in some areas. But I can also respect that it tries to recreate two classic games and heck, I have fun with it at times because it's so unassumingly old-school.

It feels a bit like the time I was playing Ys 1&2 three years ago. I could see how great the games were for its time, and how fun they still are, but also how far game design has come along over all these years and that kinda left me conflicted at how I ultimately felt about the games. In the end I decided to just have fun and play games, but the question how classics (and their remakes/remasters) should be viewed from an analytical point and judged, be it for oneself or as a public review, is still one I can't quite figure out.

But I'm getting way OT and just rumble on half-asleep, excuse me.

I think I'm gonna ditch my warrior some time in the future. I want to try the other classes, but knight/physician/magician/academic are just way to convenient to not have around, and without a samurai battles would take probably twice as much time, so the warrior feels like the only one that can be replaced without impacting overall performance much. Will probably try the monk.

How useful is the conjurer? The contract thingy seems pretty fun, although kind of a hassle to maintain.

conjurer takes a while before it gets more useful since the skill to prevent the captured monster from running away. its an interesting class but an odd one lol

Its not end of the world bad but I do think I now understand "I get what I paid for" at least in terms of shipping lol

I think that's on your mailman/post office. I've only ever ordered free shipping from NISA, always get my LEs early, with great packaging and in pristine condition.

Ouch. I don't know if the shipping pricing had anything to do with it, my box could have just as easily had a bad bounce like that.
Pretty sure they were all packaged similarly and all that.

Mozendo

How exactly does neo scan work? How am I supposed to look at the enemy info?
Also should I be putting luck into my academic?

-Horizon-

I think that's on your mailman/post office. I've only ever ordered free shipping from NISA, always get my LEs early, with great packaging and in pristine condition.
Looking back, it may be my post office. If I ever have anything ordered by USPS be it amazon or nisa, it always ends up with a dented corner or something if its not in a medium to big box :/

Ouch. I don't know if the shipping pricing had anything to do with it, my box could have just as easily had a bad bounce like that.
Pretty sure they were all packaged similarly and all that.
Yeah, I won't blame NISA on this
whatever, its pretty ignorable (kind of lol) and I can just find some heavy books to place on top of the art book to try to flatten it :)

Looking back, it may be my post office. If I ever have anything ordered by USPS be it amazon or nisa, it always ends up with a dented corner or something if its not in a medium to big box :/

Yeah, I won't blame NISA on this
whatever, its pretty ignorable (kind of lol) and I can just find some heavy books to place on top of the art book to try to flatten it :)

Yeah I've had several things sent to me from Amazon via USPS and they've been messed up. :mad:

Parakeetman

How exactly does neo scan work? How am I supposed to look at the enemy info?
Also should I be putting luck into my academic?

luk is generally useful for everyone for casters that have debuffs it helps with the effectiveness and chance to be successful. besides helping with the status ailment protection that also includes 1hk attacks / spells

Also luk is for the trap disarming.

Shizuka

I missed this quote from RPGFan's review:

If you're itching for a dungeon-crawler, go for Etrian Odyssey or Unchained Blades instead.

EK99h.gif

And this is from someone who didn't think Unchained Blades was that bad.

Seda

uh, trophy question

Filthy Stinkin' Rich: "You've collected 300,000 GP. It may be digital currency, but you're still loaded!"

I have more than 300,000 GP but the trophy hasn't unlocked. I tried messing around with the amount I have on hand, in the storage. Even tried to put 299,999 on hand and fight a battle to try to trigger it.

Any ideas?

-

e: Oh, it appeared kinda randomly when roaming the city. ~nevermind~

Top Bottom