• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orbitron |OT| GAFfer-created XBLIG shooter that puts many XBLA games to shame

OnPoint

orbitronbox_122211.jpg

• Release date: 12/1/2011
  • Price: 240 Microsoft points ($3)
  • Developer: Firebase
  • Platform: Xbox Live Indie Games
  • Genre: Shooter

orbitronabout.jpg

• Orbitron was created by GAF's very own member, Warm Machine. He's been a long-time contributor in the XBLIG Community on our lovely forum.

Speaking from firsthand experience, the game has a level of polish that puts must XBLA titles to shame and may be the most streamlined XBLIG title ever released. It also has a soundtrack by the people who did Geometry Wars' music.

Do your fellow poster a favor and at least check out his game, maybe drop him some feedback here.

• Dashboard Description
Launch into a relentless battle against a robotic horde bent on the destruction of an Orbital Power Station. Blast your way through three intense game modes with one of two selectable space fighters. Compete against other Xbox Live Gold members for high score bragging rights. Beautiful 3d graphics and a soundtrack by Audio Antics await you in Orbitron: Revolution!

Modes of play
  • Survival
  • Countdown
  • Extra Mode (unlockable)

orbitronvideo.jpg

orbitronscreens.jpg

• Click to enlarge

Bought this last week with my US account (and Protect Me Knight ^_^).

Fun and addictive, not to mention great looking. SHMUP fans would enjoy this.

Flavius

It's pretty, but I didn't really care for it. Seemed far too easy to lose track of your ship because your avatar gets lost in the background.

Gaspode_T

Just search for orbitron on bing search...

I will try to rank in some better scores tonight to give you guys competition

The style of this game reminds me if the Wipeout 2048 team decided to make a shooter

Tomorrow I will post the change list for the update for the game, which should be dropping into peer review before the end of tomorrow. Expect loads of changes, like a good iOS style update to a game. I'm actually interested what people who trialed the original version think of the new trial and new game, so if you played it and it wasn't your thing you'll want to give it another shot when the update is live.

GAFfer made games are so cool, man. = D

In fact we are so cool we are offering a Gaffer indie game bundle. Sequence, Volchaos, and Orbitron all for only 560msp! We will also throw Avatar Legends in for only 240 points more! That is only 800msp/$10 for 4 Gaffer made games. With prices this low you'll think we have gone crazy!

MightyKAC

Wow, it looks like the HD Defender update that the 80's child in me has been screaming for.

The only thing stopping me from buying it is my lack of owning a 360 :p

Gaspode_T

Uh i feel stupid but I thought you had to charge a full energy bar to boost with RT, now that I know you can boost more frequently the game is a lot faster paced and guardian mode seems more achievable...still can't seem to beat 5 mins, maybe you should have the laser shooting driller things drop time extend or something

Gaspode_T

For what it's worth I know thousands of people bought crappy games in Game Room for 240 pts each (because you can look at the leaderboards and see how many there are), even some pretty damn bad games have like 3,000 sales. So maybe it's a matter of getting the word out to the wider Xbox audience, not the people who visit NeoGAF...

In lieue of that maybe we can have some sort of contest here like they do in the iOS threads (I already saw SAB CA beating my score by a bit...)

We should be putting the “Relaunched” update to Orbitron: Revolution into Peer Review today! All being well this will be available to players within a week.

Here is a list of near everything that has changed!
■Bloom and brightness modified to improve player ship and action clarity.
■Scout enemies have been re-colored so they do not blend into the background.
■Explosion Sound Effects changed to be more bombastic and satisfying.
■Player Ship Explosion more dramatic
■WildFire Y8 is now the default ship in the ship Bay.
■Wildfire Y8 is now the controllable spaceship in the Trial.
■BlindFire X8 Ship has been recolored to pop out more
■Lighting in the ship bay has been changed to be more animated and dramatic.
■Guardian Mode is now the default mode.
■Guardian Mode is now the game mode featured in the Trial.
■Time between Drillers appearing during the beginning of Guardian Mode has been lessened to remove dead time from the mode.
■A few Drones have been added to the start of Guardian Mode to lead the player to the first Driller.
■Extra Mode unlockable after only 3 minutes of Guardian Mode.
■The Replay Theater interface for Countdown has been completely revamped and is more user friendly.
■Restart, and Hide UI controls in the Replay Theater are now visible to the player.
■AutoFire rate increased.
■Left Trigger now activates Turbo Boost as well as Right Trigger
■The vertical speed of the player’s ship has been increased
■The drift / momentum of the ship has been tweaked to be more responsive.
■Drillers are no longer invincible when spawning in.
■Boost Gates may not spawn on top of a player and have a bit of grace on them when they do spawn in.
■The cap for the number of onscreen Power Cells has been substantially increased.
■The Trial version starts the player with 25 power cells, up from 10 in the real game. This change only effects the Trial Version.
■Main Menu Orbitron: Revolution Logo centered.
■Game Modes, High Scores, and Options UI now smoothly scroll instead of pop.
■Confirmation UI added to Pause menu when the player wants to Restart, Resume, or Quit.
■Bug Fix: When the player is out of power cells and is holding the turbo button the power cells are no longer instantly used up.
■Bug Fix: When the player taps the turbo button a single power cell isn’t instantly used.
■Nag Screen changed to reflect game changes in this update.

Now for the big change:

“Milestones” added.

■Power Hungry: Fill up both Power Slots
■Escape the Ring: Use a Boostgate while the ring is exploding
■Survivalist: Survive 3 minutes of Extra Mode
■Guardian: Destroy 30 Drillers in a game of Guardian Mode
■Turn and Burn: Play a full game of Countdown without dying
■Wave Hello: Get to Wave 12 in Countdown Mode
■Robot Collector: Don’t fire a shot in Extra Mode for 60 seconds
■Ace Pilot: Destroy 10,000 robots.
■To the Limit: Attain 100x multiplier
■Get on Board: Get a score on all three game modes

Half of these Milestones may be awarded just in the Trial Mode of the game!

milestones.jpg

The “Milestones” interface. Won Milestones appear in colour.

relitshipbay.jpg

Relit Ship Bay with animating red warning light. The two ship positions have been swapped and you can see the new colour of the BlindFire X8.

newreplaytheatercontrols.jpg

The new Replay Theater controls that make use of the face buttons and triggers on the control pad. More or less set up in the manner of the controller itself. Note the more vibrant recoloured Scout enemies and that there is less bloom on the environment.

The Milestones are a hell of a lot of fun to try to get and add a nice layer of depth to the game that wasn't there before!

Hey Warm Machine, any current plans in the cards to put this on Steam?

I would put this on a Gameboy Advance if I could! A PC version will only ever appear if we can convince an interested party to sell it on their service. Until then the 360 version is the only way to play the game. Right now there is no "Will wait for Steam" for this game because you might be waiting forever.

Phreaker

Got the demo and bought the game tonight. Really great production for an indie game! I love the music, the voice work, the font and as can be seen the graphics are sharp. I'm glad it has a leaderboard too! For an indie game I suppose you have to run that server yourself?

I did run into an enemy a few times because I didn't really see it with the busy, but very pretty, background. I figure it's just because I've just started and wasn't really sure yet was I was looking for, enemy-wise.

Gaspode_T

Just a tip, the red triangle enemies will crash into you if you shoot them and are really close, you have to shoot it, scoot backwards and then flip around and shoot the pieces that are flying towards you.

There are also some really fast moving yellow guys that will kamikaze into you, you have to watch out for those.

The update sounds massive!!!

Phreaker

Just a tip, the red triangle enemies will crash into you if you shoot them and are really close, you have to shoot it, scoot backwards and then flip around and shoot the pieces that are flying towards you.

There are also some really fast moving yellow guys that will kamikaze into you, you have to watch out for those.

The update sounds massive!!!

Thanks for the tip. Is seems possible to kill the red triangle enemies ("Carriers") without having the 3 smaller guys break off, but I'm not quite sure how I've done it. Maybe it's a direct hit to the center when it's breaking apart?

Yeah, those yellow guys are a pain, especially in Guardian mode. Stuff gets pretty crazy on that mode! :)

I was trying to figure out what picking up the pellets that are left after killing an enemy does. It was too hectic while playing so I was trying to observe it in replay mode, but didn't see anything (the power meter is not shown in replay). I then looked for a help menu option, but didn't see one. The next time I went to start Guardian there was my tip screen - they recharge your power meter!

The game is really well done, excellent work Warm Machine! I hope you sell a bunch of copies.

Oh, couple of questions:

1. Is there any indication if I've beaten my own high score? What I did do was take note of my current score, after what I thought was my best go at it, and then go to the highscore leaderboards to see what mine was registered at. It indeed was the same score, so it was my best run.

2. What are the difference between the ships. It seems to me the red one moves slower.

The red Atom enemies will always break into three pieces if they are shot with the regular shot. If they are hit with a Power Shot, Wave Bomb, or are within range of a Carrier enemy explosion they are instantly vaporized without breaking open.

Yeah the only way to know what your score is before going in is to write it down or take a mental note. However, in all three game modes if you have XBL Gold you should see the score and gamertags of the guy directly ahead of you on the scoreboard. As soon as you topple that persons score the next in line immediately appears. I wish this functionality was extended to XBL Silver as well.

Both Ships are identical. The ships simply represent a colour choice and serve as a bridge screen between the main menu and the game. Really just a way of adding more visual production value.

Glad you are enjoying the game!

We are good to do a score competition!

I was thinking doing a Highscore based, week long competition starting on the 1st of Jan to midnight on the 8th of January PST. You would have to be an Xbox live gold member so we can all see the scores on the board. Winners posted on Monday.

The competition would be taking the sum total of your scores in all three game modes. This way, if you are good at one, but not the other you can still play to your strength.

We can even supply a nice little prize for it!

When I get back to the office on the 31st I can draft up a proper post.

Yeah, this game is pretty sweet. Buy this dope shit.

The ship designs remind me of Rayforce. This is a good thing, because Rayforce is not only a great shooter, it's one of my favorite shooters.

It would be cool if Warm Machine made a vertical shooter.

Gaspode_T

Warm Machine needs to hook up with Atlus USA or something, maybe get some Japanese musicians throw down some music, then it would really get an Einhander vibe...

Or maybe collaborate with the Prismatic Solid guy - I will translate in between you guys :p He has put out some PDFs about XNA perf tricks he uses.

Rad Agast

Picked this up a while ago. Haven't put much time into it yet but I enjoyed what little I've played of it. Hopefully I get some time to play it more soon.

ruxtpin

Banned
Will purchase soon Warm Machine! I'd like to do something like this in my future (not necessarily a shooter or XBLIG, but release something... independently). =P

Phreaker

Any news on the update? Do XBLIG work the same as other games, where when you go to play it while signed into Live it tells you there is an update available for download?

I doubled my highscore for countdown mode today, yay! Still quite a ways from the top scores though.

Phreaker said:
Any news on the update? Do XBLIG work the same as other games, where when you go to play it while signed into Live it tells you there is an update available for download?

I doubled my highscore for countdown mode today, yay! Still quite a ways from the top scores though.

The update is sitting at 66% passed right now. When it is available and you start the game a MS dashboard window should appear saying that there is an update and do you want to download it.

Gaspode_T said:
Or maybe collaborate with the Prismatic Solid guy - I will translate in between you guys :p He has put out some PDFs about XNA perf tricks he uses.

I'm a big fan of his games. The amount of polys he cranks out is insane. I'd have loved to have seen his 3rd person sci-fi action game/demo get completed. I'm surprised Primsmatic has such abstract looks considering that demo he did.

Yeah, this game is pretty sweet. Buy this dope shit.

I'm really happy you like it!

If someone wants to set up the score competition on their own, we will supply a small prize. Otherwise, we can figure out the competition on our side like I suggested. I'd probably make it a single mode now though so it is easier to track where you stand against everyone else. Either or, the prize would remain the same as long as it isn't impossible to mail.

soultron

Banned
Warm Machine, a question for you: how large is your team?

Did you do the art/modelling? It's very WipEout-ish. Love it.

Tobe

EDIT lol didntt read

ill buy when i get my points back from microsoft.

you gotta try putting the game up on steam, look at feep he buying a ferrari :p

Top Bottom