• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orbitron |OT| GAFfer-created XBLIG shooter that puts many XBLA games to shame

Warm Machine, a question for you: how large is your team?

Did you do the art/modelling? It's very WipEout-ish. Love it.

The game team was a max of 3 people, but only 2 people at a time including myself. If you check both pages of the credits you'll note everyone that made a contribution.

I did everything you see except for the character models. I rendered those though not that I think it counts.

When I first started in the industry in 96 Psygnosis was really hot on PS1 and all the programming staff at Radical Entertainment was in love with them, and the use of electronic music in games. Their trademark to me, at the time, was dark future forward games with nice flaring effects and trails combined with great audio. WipEout HD was a big inspiration as well. The ship decaling and surfacing in particular is something I looked at. The voice of the computer in Orbitron with her english accent is pretty directly referencial to the whole Psygnosis sort of theme.

I previously worked on Homeworld: Cataclysm doing concept on certain large scale ships so Aaron and Rob's work on the that series rubbed off on me when it came time to concept and build this. Aaron Kambeitz's work in particular has always been really inspirational as I think he is on the cutting edge of futuristic ship and environment design.

Other than that, Halo and Killzone both have some cues in the look. The Orbitron Ring owes a lot to both those games and not because it is a big donut. It is more found in the 45 degree struts and super structure.

soultron

Banned
The game team was a max of 3 people, but only 2 people at a time including myself. If you check both pages of the credits you'll note everyone that made a contribution.

I did everything you see except for the character models. I rendered those though not that I think it counts.

When I first started in the industry in 96 Psygnosis was really hot on PS1 and all the programming staff at Radical Entertainment was in love with them, and the use of electronic music in games. Their trademark to me, at the time, was dark future forward games with nice flaring effects and trails combined with great audio. WipEout HD was a big inspiration as well. The ship decaling and surfacing in particular is something I looked at. The voice of the computer in Orbitron with her english accent is pretty directly referencial to the whole Psygnosis sort of theme.

I previously worked on Homeworld: Cataclysm doing concept on certain large scale ships so Aaron and Rob's work on the that series rubbed off on me when it came time to concept and build this. Aaron Kambeitz's work in particular has always been really inspirational as I think he is on the cutting edge of futuristic ship and environment design.

Other than that, Halo and Killzone both have some cues in the look. The Orbitron Ring owes a lot to both those games and not because it is a big donut. It is more found in the 45 degree struts and super structure.

When you explain your inspiration, it makes a lot of sense. Especially the Homeworld stuff in regards to ships, and even Halo with regards to angular architecture. Your industry experience notwithstanding, this is an impressive effort for 2-3 people.

Played the demo last night, got spacebucks now to purchase. Looking forward to it.

We should definitely get the score competition going!

Gaspode_T

I don't know for sure the total amount but just to point out the games on XBLIG that are made by industry veterans:

This one (Orbitron:Revolution)
Wizorb (Tribute Games)
Protect Me Knight AKA Mamotte Kishi (Ancient/Yuzo Koshiro of Streets of Rage music fame's company)
Train Frontier Express
FortressCraft (no idea where this guy worked though)
...I seem to remember the Oozi guy saying he worked on games before too

Just being a veteran means how many tricks you know and experience you have, I know of certain games that some game programmer friends threw together in a couple weeks and slammed onto marketplace, then complained to me later about bad sales...compared to games like Orbitron that have months and months (how many?) of work put into them...also certainly Orbitron is showing how high the bar for graphics can be.

On the other side of the spectrum, there are a bunch of games that were released by kids still enrolled in college/university - Minions is one of them and it was a class final sort of project for some University of Utah http://www.diygamer.com/2011/05/xblig-minions/

Hey guys!

I'm holding off on the score competition until after the update goes through. I had expected it to be passed by now as it has been more than a week since it was submitted. It is sitting at 75% right now which means two to three more people need to put it through its paces.

My concern with starting now is that when the update does come out it *might* wipe the current scoreboard out. We tested locally and it looks like it shouldn't have any reason to do that but how everything is hooked up on MS's end is a total mystery to us. It would suck to get part way through and suddenly have all the scores disappear.

Hopefully the update will pass in a day or two and we can get this rolling! Thanks for your patience!

Phreaker

I'm holding off on the score competition until after the update goes through. I had expected it to be passed by now as it has been more than a week since it was submitted. It is sitting at 75% right now which means two to three more people need to put it through its paces.

Sounds good, keep us posted.

soultron

Banned
Enjoying that, with every subsequent round of Guardian, I'm always learning something new. (The loading screens also help.)

The support is appreciated! Just checked in on the Relaunched Update and it is at 83% passed. Just put the word out on Twitter for more assistance.

If you like the game, remember to rate it on the dash.

Frankfurt

Banned
Just played the demo. Had totally forgotten about it (put it in the queue before xmas).

How are the othe modes? Is there any mode where you can't switch directions and/or the screen scrolls by itself?

Thanks. Beautiful game, got a Halo vibe, which was unexpected.

soultron

Banned
Just played the demo. Had totally forgotten about it (put it in the queue before xmas).

How are the othe modes? Is there any mode where you can't switch directions and/or the screen scrolls by itself?

Thanks. Beautiful game, got a Halo vibe, which was unexpected.

Guardian is where the game really shines, in my opinion.

You need to guard 4 cores from being destroyed. IIRC, 3 cores being destroyed means game over. It becomes a frantic race to travel from core to core to fend off "drillers" that damage the cores. Worth the 240 spacebucks just to try Guardian mode, IMO.

Phreaker

Guardian is where the game really shines, in my opinion.

You need to guard 4 cores from being destroyed. IIRC, 3 cores being destroyed means game over. It becomes a frantic race to travel from core to core to fend off "drillers" that damage the cores. Worth the 240 spacebucks just to try Guardian mode, IMO.

It is just me or does the lady not always tell you when a core is being attacked? I tried the "protecting one core" strategy, but that did not work. So I think you're right 3 cores gone and it's game over.

Is there any mode where you can't switch directions and/or the screen scrolls by itself?

Not in the two main modes. I still haven't unlocked extra mode (need to survive 5 min in Guardian mode, but I understand the time needed is changing with the update.) Longest I've lasted is like 4.5 minutes.

Gaspode_T

I would focus on not dying in guardian mode, that wastes a lot of time...if you can stay alive it is probably better to move around

In theory the update is out!

Whoops. Spoke too soon! It has been approved and it could show up anywhere between now and 24 hours from now.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Well they must be doing something, I can't download the trial. Keep getting an error but other Indie Trials I've d/l are fine.

Really looking forward to playing this, I have points to burn!

soultron

Banned
Haven't gotten the new update. Could be something to do with living in Canada and the regional rollouts?

Broke 6 minutes in Guardian. 24 drillers! It got intense. Had my final two cores right next to one another, which is strategically the best late-game option, if you ask me.

Gaspode_T

I haven't made it that far in Guardian mode, that's pretty awesome..

I will check for the update before I go to sleep today

Phreaker

I would focus on not dying in guardian mode, that wastes a lot of time...if you can stay alive it is probably better to move around

I'm not really sure who you were responding to... My game ends because my sectors get killed and the ring explodes, not because I've died. I don't usually die, but I guess keeping one sector in tact doesn't help?

Yeah, we have indie games in the UK you know... it downloaded just fine from the link in the OP, but that wasn't my point.

It just doesn't seem to be there... and obviously the fewer people who can see it, the fewer people who can buy it.

Gaspode_T

I'm not really sure who you were responding to... My game ends because my sectors get killed and the ring explodes, not because I've died. I don't usually die, but I guess keeping one sector in tact doesn't help?

Yeah I basically meant that even if keeping one sector alive is easier to stay in the game for 6 minutes, wouldn't it get a much higher score to run around shooting things like crazy AND stay alive for 6 minutes? I am pretty sure keeping one alive isn't enough like you said anyway...maybe Warm can confirm

That sucks. Have never understood the oddness with regard to Microsoft and the rest of the planet.

It isn't MS. Games can't get released in certain territories that require an official ratings board to look at them prior to publishing. Indie games fly under the ratings system, making them raw and edgy (not really)!

Anyone have luck downloading the update?

BTW. The best strat in Guardian to stay alive for time is to finish with Sectors A and D still alive. This
Way if you die you spawn right between the two of them. It isn't a good score tactic though for a variety of reasons, because chances of death is higher meaning your multiplier will drop to 1x quite often.

Phreaker

Yeah I basically meant that even if keeping one sector alive is easier to stay in the game for 6 minutes, wouldn't it get a much higher score to run around shooting things like crazy AND stay alive for 6 minutes? I am pretty sure keeping one alive isn't enough like you said anyway...maybe Warm can confirm

Oh, certainly! I was just trying to stay alive to unlock the other mode, not going for score.

Yeah, we have indie games in the UK you know... it downloaded just fine from the link in the OP, but that wasn't my point.

It just doesn't seem to be there... and obviously the fewer people who can see it, the fewer people who can buy it.

How were you looking? I found it using the Bing search, but it can be seen down the highest rated list (currently at #50).

Gaspode_T

Tried the update, awesome work!!! unlocked two milestones...Extra mode is great, I am #10 there and 46 on Guardian now, getting x100 multiplier feels awesome

Phreaker

Tried the update, awesome work!!! unlocked two milestones...Extra mode is great, I am #10 there and 46 on Guardian now, getting x100 multiplier feels awesome

*shakesfist* - Will try to beat that when I get home from work. :) I was 22 on Countdown, don't know what I am ATM.

How were you looking? I found it using the Bing search, but it can be seen down the highest rated list (currently at #50).
Couldn't find it either by bing or by highest rated. Tried to do it by letter but there are no indie games in there. Not sure where it would be based on release date but I couldn't see it on the first few pages.

Phreaker

Couldn't find it either by bing or by highest rated. Tried to do it by letter but there are no indie games in there. Not sure where it would be based on release date but I couldn't see it on the first few pages.

Hmm I found indie games on Bing search (in the US), but I did have to type in almost all of "orbitron" IIRC. Based on release date it's pretty far down the list. It came out Dec 1st and sometimes multiple games come out per day. As for highest rated, while 50 is great when there are over 2,000 it's still many pages down from the start.

Way early in development there was the idea that if the player had two power shots saved up he could fire one in one direction and the other in the other direction. If the two powershots collided it would vaporize everything around the ring at once. Basically it would be a gimme tactic in Countdown to advance past a high wave or clear the ring in Guardian.

If ever a sequel is ever made you can expect this to get in there.

Hmm I found indie games on Bing search (in the US), but I did have to type in almost all of "orbitron" IIRC.
Just checked it on mine. Typed in the whole thing and it found nothing... and that's with the game installed now.

Ridiculous.

I'd suggest the OP / Dev asked MS what was up, but I imagine what MS's response would probably be.

Phreaker

Whew, made it into the top 14 for both Countdown and Extra mode. I suck at Guardian, must practice! :p

Countdown #13 - 202,900
Extra #14 - 283,675

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

It is, but although Bing Search doesn't bring it up you just need to click the competition winners I think it is, that or Kotaku Recommends. A shitty way of finding it that is for sure. Man I feel sorry for some of the XBLIG devs.

Bing finds it for me but you have to type the complete word "Orbitron" in. Autocomplete search recommendations do not list it. Same goes for Volchaos.

Are you in the UK Warm Machine?

Because even typing in the full word doesn't work for me (in the UK). It's like Microsoft doesn't want me to have it, even though I already cheated to get it. ;)

Looking awesome. As a Wipeout (and Homeworld) fan I'll certainly try this out.

I would put this on a Gameboy Advance if I could! A PC version will only ever appear if we can convince an interested party to sell it on their service. Until then the 360 version is the only way to play the game. Right now there is no "Will wait for Steam" for this game because you might be waiting forever.

How does this actually work. Does valve have some sort of selection procedure?

Looking awesome. As a Wipeout (and Homeworld) fan I'll certainly try this out.

How does this actually work. Does valve have some sort of selection procedure?

Yes, Valve can pick and choose what goes on their service. All of the big services like Impluse, Origin, GamersGate, and so on have pretty much the same barrier to entry.

We received, and really appreciated, a very nice french review from http://www.gamesidestory.com/

I read and understood as much of it as I could in French, but when I used Google translator on the review it thought this was appropriate..

"It is very beautiful, very fine and it farts everywhere. It may fart a bit too much..."

Oh Google, what will you do next?

I think the OT needs a new title :)

Top Bottom