• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orbitron |OT| GAFfer-created XBLIG shooter that puts many XBLA games to shame

Gaspode_T

Somone should help Warm Machine put together a score competition, I need a reason to fire it up with so many other games to play.

It kind of blows my mind that the game is still not selling very well as far as I can tell, I don't see it in the Top Downloaded list at a very high ranking. It's $3...less than a Latte...

Rad Agast

Yeah, not sure about the sales but I'm guessing it's very low for the quality of the product. Unless the 1.1 update have reset the leaderboards, I only see 303 entries in Countdown and much less in the other modes. Extra mode has only 38 entries? The game deserves better sales in my opinion.

soultron

Banned
Yeah, not sure about the sales but I'm guessing it's very low for the quality of the product. Unless the 1.1 update have reset the leaderboards, I only see 303 entries in Countdown and much less in the other modes. Extra mode has only 38 entries? The game deserves better sales in my opinion.

To be fair, before the update, Extra mode was pretty hard to unlock.

My suggestion is to get in touch with the people who do the XBLIG "Summer of Indie" and "Winter Uprising" promos. This game definitely deserves to be in those promotions.

Unfortunately the scores were not reset, that 303 is all the gold people who have ever played the game. For every gold player there is 1 silver player so that will give you and idea about the sales.

I have a two of a kind collection of 8x10 glossy images of every enemy and ship in the game as well as the cover of the game. The only other people who have this is Giant Bomb and i doubt they kept them. This would be the prize if someone wants to set up the score comp.

I can supply a image of the prize.

Yesterday Orbitron was the third highest rated xblig in Canada.

Gaspode_T

GAF is failing you in the viral word of mouth department, maybe something like reddit or digg or maybe "OMGz game so awesome but not selling" fake press release would help :)

You can do a Kickstarter "help us port this game to other platforms" trick that I see some other groups doing.

Here's hoping they give ability to temporarily drop prices, that would allow you to run a quick sale and make people like Wario64 work for you when they jump all over cheap games.

Gaspode_T

Seriously though...Skyrim is too good...I look through my friends list and half of them are still playing Skyrim, when you think the hold has loosened they will release DLC

I do think that sites like Joystiq or Kotaku or Destructoid would pick up on your plight and give you some press about it

soultron

Banned
I'd happily organize a score comp, but I'd like to know how you'd like me to go about tracking things. (Excel spreadsheet, Silver XBL gamertag to group the competitors under, etc.)

I'd create a new thread. It'd be like free advertising. I'd need to PM a mod to get it going first though.

Rad Agast

Unfortunately the scores were not reset, that 303 is all the gold people who have ever played the game. For every gold player there is 1 silver player so that will give you and idea about the sales.

At least that's slightly better than what I expected. It's still a shame regarding total sales since this game is perfect for short burst shmup fans (I thought most were on 360 this gen?)

I have a two of a kind collection of 8x10 glossy images of every enemy and ship in the game as well as the cover of the game. The only other people who have this is Giant Bomb and i doubt they kept them. This would be the prize if someone wants to set up the score comp.

I can supply a image of the prize.

Sounds sweet

Yesterday Orbitron was the third highest rated xblig in Canada.

Grats. hopefully it picks up and gets more exposure.

Phreaker

This is totally anecdotal, but maybe "3 minute" games just are not popular with kids today? You know, like true arcade games were and Orbitron is in that vein. The reason I say kids is because any XBLIG that has multiplayer that I've tried online has no adults playing. At least I haven't found any. Everyone sounds like they are 10.

Just finished playing the demo and, as previously mentioned above, the "Defender-esque" gameplay feels great! Purchased!

Orbitron is extremely well polished for an indie game, both visually and mechanically. Hats off to Warm Machine for creating such a quality product.

I look forward to playing this and following your future projects WM. Great job!

The Xbox indie market is finicky. Dec was especially bad though. Elf squad 7, Volchaos, and Orbitron all did the same numbers more or less, were released at the same
time, but we were priced $2 higher.

I think that gamers typically need an end goal beyond score and they prefer to play as a character or something more resembling a character. Story, or progress that infers story also seems to be key.

Gaspode_T

This is totally anecdotal, but maybe "3 minute" games just are not popular with kids today? You know, like true arcade games were and Orbitron is in that vein. The reason I say kids is because any XBLIG that has multiplayer that I've tried online has no adults playing. At least I haven't found any. Everyone sounds like they are 10.

If Cave can port their insane bullet hell shooting games to mobile then Orbitron can work too, I think drag finger up and down and swipe left and right would work pretty well actually. The 3 minute gameplay is kind of perfect for mobile and I nearly seek out games that fit that mold. Maybe only the 2012 devices would run Orbitron very well but I don't think it's impossible.

That said, my impression is that Radiangames Supercrossfire probably hasn't set sale records on iOS relative to how well some other strange and crappy games are selling, so mobile is tough marketplace too. It's very saturated with games and then you do have casual shooting games like Space Miner where you level up your little spacecraft with space bucks you get from shooting asteroids...

The thing I'm stuck on is that I know for a fact there are more than 10,000 shooting game fans on 360 (maybe there's even more like 50,000), so sales of < 1K are simply too low even if it's only shooting fans who will buy it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The Xbox indie market is finicky. Dec was especially bad though. Elf squad 7, Volchaos, and Orbitron all did the same numbers more or less, were released at the same

I think that gamers typically need an end goal beyond score and they prefer to play as a character or something more resembling a character. Story, or progress that infers story also seems to be key.

The funny thing about this is that Geometry Wars 1 did great (and was more expensive, lol). I'd rather play your game than GeoWars, personally. Just like you said, something resembling a character or story helps, and your game DOES imply that all, to a degree (I can't get over the feeling that having the 2 ships differ would have helped some, however. Like giving one lasers, and the other pulse blasters). I also find your enemy placement for the starting waves much more interesting than the start waves of Geowars. And your alternative modes more interesting, racing to destroy drillers was a nice suprise. Though I do have to say, it'd be nice if there was some kind of core-repair mechanic (Like all cores get 10 HP back after a driller has been killed from each), as the realization that in the end, you kinda HAVE to lose, is a little depressing, lol.

I always thought leaderboards were a great compromise to "boss battle", personally. They both make you feel as if you're striving for something, and as if you have an "End" to aim for. I enjoyed attacking your leaderboards as much as I did Burnout Crash's.

I was going to reference Geo Wars 2 in my post as that had sold 500k at $10. I think it is a perfect game and one I have dropped loads of time into. It being an Arcade title, with built in name recognition, showcased in the summer of arcade got it massive exposure. No comparison can be made in those terms however the audience is out there but I failed at getting the word out far enough or in the right places.

Knowing MS wasn't going to do anything (which is fair given the way Xbox Live business operates) it is actually balls hard to make people aware of your game. I can't, for example, post on Penny Arcade forums about the game and make them aware of it. While we had some fantastic news stories posted on Destructoid, Kotaku, and Joystiq as well as a good few indie channels it is was about 25% of the outlets I contacted and reached a fraction of the audience for this type of game. I even reached out to the best Geo Wars players to see if they wanted to get in on it.

Marketing, advertising, and awareness is very hard. THQ might have launched a ton of balloons and made a mess but people heard about it and responded to it. I don't think I underestimated the need for press but I overestimated the amount who would run a story. I also underestimated the competition at the launch date, which was three weeks after the last big game release on Xbox, not believing that more than two months since launch Skyrim would still be pulling news stories. It does make sense though and I see why they put sim much attention on such a massive game with a huge player base.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

All the old classic Japanese arcade shooters put more work than people would think into silly details like implied background for their ships, pilots, settings, and enemies. Lots of really loving design work.

But that made them memorable. It helped players build the universe up in their imagination and become invested in it. That's what a lot of the new generation of indie shumps sometimes forget... they create completely generic "spaceships on random background" scenarios that don't invest the player even if the play mechanics are intriguing. Geometry Wars seems an exception to this, as its theme of When Graph Paper Attacks sort of defines its abstract universe with real character.

I think you did a great job with Orbitron here, I should say! It's a really cool thematic idea for the play mechanic and it does suggest a story is being roughed out. Just enough of a hook to care.

However you want to run a score comp is fine by me. I recommend collecting the gamertags from the xbox live gold members who want to get in on the comp and then pick a mode to compete in. If you friends list the competitors you can filter friends only on the expanded scoreboard screen to see who stacks up where.

I can also get the score server to friend list the people involved which would make it even easier. All I need are the gamer tags to do that.

Rad Agast

Playing this while downloading some demos. Any one here in the top 5 on Extra mode? any tips on how to break the million points mark?

Edit:

Why do lots of indie games with scoreboards stop background downloads?

Playing this while downloading some demos. Any one here in the top 5 on Extra mode? any tips on how to break the million points mark?

Edit:

Why do lots of indie games with scoreboards stop background downloads?

It is because you are constantly connected peer to peer to another player to get the latest scoreboard data. The scoreboards are like an mmo where all that happens is people trade numbers.

The best tip I can give to score lots of points in Extra is wait until the radar is mostly filled with enemies and then Powershot in one direction or the other then start mopping up in the opposite direction. The multiplier will grow really quick because the powershot will be destroying everything it its path at the same time you are. 100x multiplier should be easy to get in this situation

Be careful about the Powershot as it approaches you as you will need to dodge it. When the powershot has completed its full 360 fire another one and do the same deal.

1080p 60fps on PC.

pcversion.jpg

Gaspode_T

Wow...my laptop was having a hard time running even Terraria last night so I wonder how many FPS I would get :)

Steam really needs to pick Orbitron up

I'm going to let loose a big drop of media for the PC version today on the Firebase site. Hopefully someone in the world of PC games picks up on it.

Gaspode_T

I can't imagine how the camera would be any better, did you expect it to be closer? If it were closer then you would ram into enemies when you are moving fast to the left and right.

Having a first person mode would be pretty cool in this game though (probably extremely dizzying)

dock

By the camera angle I mean the angle the camera is pointing.

I find the camera swinging nauseating, and the camera pointing down the movement plane makes it harder for me to read the position of the objects I'm firing at. I appreciate that it is trying to show more of the upcoming enemies.

It's just a taste thing though, I probably just prefer 2D games to be 2D when it matters, like Gradius 5, Ikaruga, etc.

I wish you guys the best with it!

SparkTR

I'm going to let loose a big drop of media for the PC version today on the Firebase site. Hopefully someone in the world of PC games picks up on it.

Should send an email to RPS or create a Reddit submission. Is there any release date for the PC version? I'd buy it in an instant, Steam or not.

Should send an email to RPS or create a Reddit submission. Is there any release date for the PC version? I'd buy it in an instant, Steam or not.

Yesterday we sent an email to all the majors, including RPS. I have a terrible feeling every email ended up in their corresponding junk folder. Such is the life of indie development.

Here are all the new screens btw.

http://firebase.ca/2012/01/26/pc-media-storm/

The weird camera angle is very offputting. :/

I can understand what you are getting at. All of your shooting is done on the horizontal so just line up your ship with the enemy and fire away. Shots only ever travel the distance of screen space so if it is on screen proper, you will hit it. Perspective distortion from the camera is pretty light in regards to gameplay.

Limanima

Wow. Looks awsome. It sure is possible to make great looking games in xna.
After seeing this, The game i'm making looks tiny. Cmon lima, CHEER UP AND FINISH IT!!

Woorloog

Banned
I gotta say i'm really disappointed in MS not offering Indies in Finland. I really would love to try this game but i cannot :/

Just to give people an update on the PC version. While we respect their decision we are disappointed that we can't offer Orbitron: Revolution on Steam.

Rad Agast

If you're not publishing the game on Steam... where should I look for it then?

Still enjoying the xbli version by the way. It's sad that all those games don't show up for my friends when they're check out what I'm playing.

desu

Just to give people an update on the PC version. While we respect their decision we are disappointed that we can't offer Orbitron: Revolution on Steam.

Thats really fucked up and dissapointing. Don't really know the details about your case but having heard of other games thats really stupid (especially since there are imho lots of games on steam that are not exactly your quality and probably not as fun).

Had planned to give away some free copies for the steam release, pretty sad =/.

Is there a way to gift away things on gamersgate?
nvm: you can

Well, the next five people to post here will get a free copy on GamersGate. Might be asleep soon so it will take some time to deliver the games.

Gaspode_T

Just heads up that Orbitron dropped from 240 pts to 80 pts, and honestly even 240 pts was a steal for this game if you're a fan of fast paced shooting games.

It's also now the featured game in US marketplace, so if you're a US user you should have no problem finding it.

Top Bottom