• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orcs Must Die! 2 |OT| WHY IS THERE NO OT FOR THIS?

images.jpg

ORCS MUST DIE! 2

By: Robot Entertainment
Platform: PC
Release: July 30th, 2012
Type: First Person Tower Defense
Price: $14.99

Description: Right on the heels of the ridiculously fun first game, OMD!2 starts off with the world reeling from the after-effects of the first game's endgame. I'm not sure that was proper sentence structure. Then... something happens. What happens? More orcs need to die.

This time with co-op.

Play as either The War Mage or The Sorceress as you fight to uncover the mystery of why everything that is happening is happening!

Traps, both new and old!
You'll remember the trusty Tar Pits, the bouncy bounce pads, and the flaming Scorchers. But now, the amount of traps has increased to include extending ceiling fans of death, floorplates that convert dead foes into coin drops, and even Boom Barrel Dispensers. But what about upgrades? Well, now every trap has multiple level upgrades, as well as two Unique upgrades that cannot be activated at the same time. Want to add a bleeding effect to your Spike Trap? Go for it. Do your Arrow Traps need more flames? Go for it. Does your shotgun need to become a stupidly powerful grenade launcher? Go for it.

And since it is co-op, two players can compliment each other in their Orc killing ways.

But the bad guys have new blood, too!
You will not enjoy the Kobold Sappers. They will make you rue the day.

And hey, if you are still on the shelf, if own already own OMD!, you get ten classic levels.

Nosgoroth

Hell yeah, as soon as I get back from work I'm jumping in.

Which reminds me. Perhaps I should have left the PC on so that I could remote install it. Ah well, it can't possibly take that long to download.

DocSeuss

Orcs Must Die wasn't my GOTY last year, but it was certainly the most fun I had. Should be able to buy a copy at the end of August. Can't wait.

I had heard some traps were cut. Which ones? D:

Ceebs

Nice. I just finished a round of Endless mode. Made it to about wave 43 and hit 68th on the leaderboard. I did get the 5 skull for it though.

Could have gotten further but I was getting Gnoll rushed. Like 6 of them spawning at once on both sides of the map.

I need more skulls before I can really take it on all the way to 50 for that achievement.

Gowans

Well done that man!

Played the first few stages and a endless mode last night.

Loved it.

Still getting my head around the skulls to unlock part of this one, what happens if I buy a trap/weapon? would I be gifted it? do I get another gift? skulls back?

KillerAJD

A buddy of mine bought me a copy for my birthday and we've been having a blast. I usually really dislike tower defense style games, but I think the 3d environment and third person controls help with that. It gets pretty intense when we're focusing on a group of enemies and we notice they've broken through on the other side.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I loved the first one and will most def get the 2nd. Nothing felt better than headshoting those damned dirty greenskins from a distance. :D The traps were hilarious too, but man the later stages were pretty brutal.

Ceebs

Well done that man!

Played the first few stages and a endless mode last night.

Loved it.

Still getting my head around the skulls to unlock part of this one, what happens if I buy a trap/weapon? would I be gifted it? do I get another gift? skulls back?

You can respec your skulls between levels. I went with a different build for endless than I used for clearing co-op.

Beating certain levels unlock certain traps. Did not pay attention to if they were locked prior to beating their unlock levels though.

As far as I can remember, only the mana refill was cut.(a dlc item?) Having played the game, it would probably be too overpowered as mana is much more useful in this game.
There is the mana well and a mana trinket. The trinket has a passive MP recharge boost and an active use that fills your mana (and partner) almost instantly and keeps doing so for a few seconds. You can also spec it to give you a massive mana bar.

Amagon

Still have to beat the first one. Great game none the less.

Will wait for when its on a Steam sale.

War Mage has still the crossbow? It was quite powerful in the first one

Bilebats essentially require headshotty Crossbowing (so it's good to upgrade the headshot ability early on), so bringing along a Crossbow with a Shotgun is a pretty powerful combo.

The Crossbow is semi-auto, but the shotgun's secondary is grenade launcher.

syllogism

The campaign has only 15 levels and the level design isn't very inspired. I've only 4 levels left and there's not variety so for instance you never see anything as interesting as the mine carts on the first few levels. Perhaps endless/nightmare will be more interesting

ZenaxPure

To bring over the topic of Crunch from the previous thread. The problem is not really with the mobs themselves. The problem is your income and traversal. The only 2 portals in that level are in the center, and they simple take you to the other side of that central room. That means there is still 2 hallways you have to run through to get to the spawn points.

So far I have not been able to kill everyone at one door, then run 2 hallways back to the portal, take it, then run the other 2 hallways to the other door while also handling the OTHER 2 doors. I just don't have the coins and travel speed to do it. It's really poorly designed for 1 person.

Any real difference between this and the first one (which I liked but got bored of eventually)?

Core mechanics are the same, but, the skill/trap/weapon system saw a COMPLETE overhaul. Weavers are gone, but in their place the spell book now has different persistent upgrades. Each item/trap/etc minus trinkets (which work as you'd expect trinkets in a video game to work) now has 1 ability you can upgrade multiple times with skulls, then 2 unique abilities that change their function slightly (you can only pick 1 of these unique ones at a time). Some objects also get special abilities that are rather expensive (usually 10+ skulls). One example is the arrow trap has a special ability that allows it to be placed on ceilings.

Otherwise there aren't really any changes per se. Just a lot of content. Coop, 10 levels from the first game that can be done in coop, and an endless mode.

Loving it 72 minutes in. Definitely tougher than the first, which I kinda worried about. Hopefully it doesn't force co-op since none of my friends are into TD.

Mr Jared

I loved the original and dove right into co-op with the lady friend tonight, who had zero prior experience. I was shocked to find how difficult it became so quickly. Even going back and playing very carefully myself, I was getting far lower scores and more close calls than I ever did in the original Orcs Must Die.

The Sorceress is OP and awesome right off the bat. Still trying to figure out what's the best plan for the War Mage. Overall it's getting me to think a lot more about my skills and traps than the original.

accx

I have never been too fond of tower defense games but looking at TB's WTF video makes this an instant buy. Getting it next paycheck!

Ceebs

I loved the original and dove right into co-op with the lady friend tonight, who had zero prior experience. I was shocked to find how difficult it became so quickly. Even going back and playing very carefully myself, I was getting far lower scores and more close calls than I ever did in the original Orcs Must Die.

The Sorceress is OP and awesome right off the bat. Still trying to figure out what's the best plan for the War Mage. Overall it's getting me to think a lot more about my skills and traps than the original.

Other than the charm, the regular attacks with her wand seem very underpowered compared to the Warmage's shotgun. I was doing some Diablo style clicking times 10 while playing. She seems better suited for using the magical weapons unless you want to play her with the crossbow.

Her unique stuff though is beyond OP. A fully upgraded polymorph ring makes all the big monsters trivial.

Yeah, it ramps up to 11 very quickly. It's definitely a "you'll benefit by playing the first one" game.

Leezard

I play the Sorceress, but I still like the tar traps way more than the freeze traps. Tar traps + Scorchers were my bread and butter in the first game. When I co-op with a friend though, he can put tar traps in front of the Scorchers and we all win!

Darkwater

Pre-ordered this as soon as it was possible. Where at first I'd play this with my best friend and one would be watching, we shall now murder orcs in tandem from our respective homes.

Haven't yet played it though. But it's first on my list when I get the time.

Volcynika

Played a couple hours co-op with my brother last night. One time I was trying to prepare for the exploding orcs and got swarmed and died. :(

Oh well! Really fun though. A few netcode issues here and there (voice chat has a bit of an issue and we almost disconnected once), but works fine for the most part.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
You have my shotgun!

Voice issues
Lag
Pausing???
Takes getting used to as you can't easily one shot them
Mouse is too sensitive in battles and too slow in menus

Still, huge fan and I hope a patch will tighten the controls and fix mic/lag issues.

Booter

really enjoyed the original, great tower defense game with HIGH production values.

I'd like to play this, but I'm gonna wait for a sale, since I've got so much LoL in my life right now.

Can you play local co-op with two 360 controllers? I've been playing a ton of dungeon defenders this way lately and could use something new

Edit: No mention of controller support or local co-op on the steam page so I guess not

lexi

Banned
This game REALLY shines with co-op, holy crap, want to play more but had to go to bed. Tar + Swinging Maces ftw.

Keasar

Maybe it is just me, but I find the small banter between the War Mage and Enchantress at the start of missions pretty funny. :p

Therion

Have they fixed the gapped barricades exploit/feature from the first game? I just tried it and the orcs were happy to pass through the gaps, but that sometimes happened in OMD1 as well, depending on the circumstances. Has anyone been successful with it in this game?

garath

Other than the charm, the regular attacks with her wand seem very underpowered compared to the Warmage's shotgun. I was doing some Diablo style clicking times 10 while playing. She seems better suited for using the magical weapons unless you want to play her with the crossbow.

Her unique stuff though is beyond OP. A fully upgraded polymorph ring makes all the big monsters trivial.

I've found that the charge attack and charm combined are her bread and butter. The regular click click attack IS very weak but that charge attack is potent. It's AE and does a good deal of damage. Lead off with a charge attack, charm, then charge attack again and you're doing a ton of AE damage.

I love the co-op in this game. So awesome. Great buy!

gdt

Will this be coming back to XBLA also?

I don't think so. IIRC, they said they made like 90% of the money from the first game on Steam, and that MS was a pain to work with. There hasn't been a single mention of XBLA for this game.

I think.

Blizzard

Banned
Wasn't there some fuss about ads for paid unlocks on each loading screen? Is that actually irritating or was it just overblown?

Top Bottom