• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orcs Must Die! 2 |OT| WHY IS THERE NO OT FOR THIS?

Micerider

Please Robot, add full gamepad support. I've been so used to play the first game with the 360 pad that it feels awkward to jump from K/M to pad to keep playing in my couch... (yes, I could play at desk, but well...I got used to it and do prefer it that way now).

Ceebs

Please Robot, add full gamepad support. I've been so used to play the first game with the 360 pad that it feels awkward to jump from K/M to pad to keep playing in my couch... (yes, I could play at desk, but well...I got used to it and do prefer it that way now).

You can still play with pad, you just need a mouse for the menus at the moment.

Violet_0

Banned
my strategy for Crunch normal - set up a killing zone with three swinging maces, acid wall traps and the floor trap that give you extra gold at each door to get rid of most of the Orcs. After the first three or four waves, place at least 5 archers at both sites of the Rift to kill the flyers. In the later waves you can place another set of 2 swinging maces and 4 acid traps at the choke points with the low ceiling next to the portals to the north and south. Place Brimstone traps all over the map at strategic positions, especially at the stairs in the center (to catch those damn Kobolds). You can try to fill either the northern or the southern corridor with ballistas if you have the extra gold. With the rest of your money, build more acid wall traps at the east and west gate.

After wave 3, go to the center and use the polymorph ring on whichever Ogre/Troll/Earth Elemental is closest to the Rift.

i really enjoyed the first game on xbla. i'm assuming it didn't do that well since there are no plans for the sequel to be released on the 360. that's really a shame as the first was a ton of fun with a great balance between action and strategy where both aspects were satisfying.

unfortunately, i don't game on the pc and my laptop just isn't powerful enough to run these types of games well (if at all). i'd definitely pick it up on one of the consoles if it were released. i hope this game is a success for robot. they definitely deserve it.

Micerider

You can still play with pad, you just need a mouse for the menus at the moment.

I know. But it's a mess. When you play on the couch, it's a pain in the a** to have to switch between the two controls settings. The first one did it well.

My roommate and I made it to wave 49 on Crossfire. So close!

Edit: Then we did this! We completed wave 61 and just gave up and let the enemies flood in. We just covered the whole floor with tar pits. Haymakers on the bottom of the bridges and acid traps covering the walls.

2012-08-01_00006-1.jpg

2012-08-01_00005-1.jpg

What is the hard mode like in OMD2?

In the first game the "Hardcore" mode gave you no prep time and also increased the enemy difficulty to obscene levels. I wanted a more challenging mode, but it was way too hard for me and not fun at all.

Is OMD2's hard mode the same or does it give you prep time like in the normal mode?

Ceebs

What is the hard mode like in OMD2?

In the first game the "Hardcore" mode gave you no prep time and also increased the enemy difficulty to obscene levels. I wanted a more challenging mode, but it was way too hard for me and not fun at all.

Is OMD2's hard mode the same or does it give you prep time like in the normal mode?

No prep time, and hard to say about the enemy difficulty. The first level has those grenade gnolls, but it did not feel like they had more health like the later waves of Endless seem to.

Ceebs

Endless mode is easily my favorite mode of the game, at least on the more basic maps. It's always challenging and provides a good dose of "oh shit gotta hurry" moments without getting too frustrating.

Dizzy-4U

Played a few story missions and jumped to endless. Only got to wave 21. I'm pretty underpowered I think since I only have like 4 traps and some enemies are too strong right now, like that troll dude. It took me forever to kill him.

The charm attack has been a life saver, only because it buys me some time to finish them off while they are fighting each other.

Pretty fun game, need to try some co-op.

ZenaxPure

They actually give prep time on Nightmare now, before the first wave that is. After that there are no breaks just like the first game. However, that's a huge improvement as far as I'm concerned considering the first game started the wave the second you closed the spellbook.

As for difficulty I found it very easy, like I mentioned earlier in the thread I thought it was easier in coop than the normal difficulty was solo.

I think more than anything it has to do with how upgrade system works now. It really doesn't feel like you get enough skulls strictly through the main campaign to get everything you need for some of the later levels. I did absolutely nothing but the the main campaign up until Crunch and I just couldn't handle it until I went and grinded some more.

None of that was really a problem when I went to nightmare, though. I had enough skulls to upgrade every thing I was using which really, really makes a huge difference.

Violet_0

Banned
brimstone traps are just nasty - fully upgraded, they make five guaranteed kills before they recharge, and they do pretty good damage against big enemies as well

ZenaxPure

brimstone traps are just nasty - fully upgraded, they make five guaranteed kills before they recharge, and they do pretty good damage against big enemies as well

Agreed. Brimstone has became my new mace from the first game (which I used on every level possible). They absolutely decimate everything except fire ogres, which are easy enough to handle anyway.

The best part about them actually is if you line them along a hallway you never have to watch kobolds or sappers again, it's amazing!

Caerith

Agreed about brimstone. The only thing that came out of the first two hallways on Crunch was the occasional nearly-dead Ogre thanks to a few lines of brimstone at the gate. I'm actually kinda glad that maces aren't the Win button anymore, now I have to actually strategize.

Empty and I got to level 38 on Tunnels tonight. We were holding on to 1 rift point and like 0 health for about five waves.

How do you get Acid Trap? It doesn't seem to show up on my list. Of course, I could be missing it entirely.

Agreed about brimstone. The only thing that came out of the first two hallways on Crunch was the occasional nearly-dead Ogre thanks to a few lines of brimstone at the gate. I'm actually kinda glad that maces aren't the Win button anymore, now I have to actually strategize.

Problem is, for a floor trap, it's so damn expensive.

Ceebs

Empty and I got to level 38 on Tunnels tonight. We were holding on to 1 rift point and like 0 health for about five waves.

How do you get Acid Trap? It doesn't seem to show up on my list. Of course, I could be missing it entirely.

Acid Wall is sorceress only. Just like she lacks arrow walls and tar.

They actually give prep time on Nightmare now, before the first wave that is. After that there are no breaks just like the first game. However, that's a huge improvement as far as I'm concerned considering the first game started the wave the second you closed the spellbook.

Oh thank god for that. That was my biggest problem with that mode. I had to choose traps+spells for a map that I had no idea what it looked like in the first game!

Picked it up a few hours ago and have already played it for a few hours, haha. Absolutely love the amped up upgrade and unlock system for everything.

Jirotrom

met one of the designers of the game last night, really cool guy. He gifted me a free copy of this game so i'll be on soon :D

Nome

Thanks for the reminder! Got the two-pack... can't wait to play with the GF. I skipped out on the first one after finding out there wasn't co-op.

ZenaxPure

My problem with this is that the mace is pretty much useless now. Mostly because until it's fully upgraded all it really does it knock enemies to the side. Fully upgraded damage it feels a bit more like the mace from the first game but it still occasionally will knock orcs to the side which is just so lame. Not to mention the haymaker pretty much outclasses it in every way possible.

I agree it needed a nerf, but it was taken a bit too far here. Bums me out a little because it was actually my favorite trap from the first game... Though I've found all of my favorite items from the first game to not really be great in OMD2 because of level design.

It's not too bad all things considered. Fully upgraded It's 90% guaranteed to kill 5 orcs before it has to recharge. That makes it really cheap compared to other floor traps. Also given it's so strong you can lay very few on any normal level and it will be absolutely fine. I tend to make a row of 3 or 4 to catch every kobold that comes through (depending on the hallway size) then set them up in groups of 2 in the middle of the hall, usually making 3 or 4 sets.

I have actually transitioned into only using 2 traps now, brimstone and wall arrows. Those 2 alone can take out every minor enemy no problem, while I use the ice bracelet + bladestaff to deal with ogres/trolls... which I have to say I have a ton of fun doing!

Do you face more/tougher enemies when playing multiplayer or is it the same? Every level so far has had two paths for two sets of orcs, which makes it seem like it's specficially designed for two people. Add to that the fact that the dude is talking to the other character even if she isn't there and I'm wondering if this is a co-op game with a single player option, not the other way around.

Ceebs

Do you face more/tougher enemies when playing multiplayer or is it the same? Every level so far has had two paths for two sets of orcs, which makes it seem like it's specficially designed for two people. Add to that the fact that the dude is talking to the other character even if she isn't there and I'm wondering if this is a co-op game with a single player option, not the other way around.

There are tougher enemies in co-op, but the multiple pathways is not really a multiplayer design thing. As you get further in you will start having 4 spawn points you have to cover.

They are all still very doable solo as the wave composition is more balanced towards single player.

There are tougher enemies in co-op, but the multiple pathways is not really a multiplayer design thing. As you get further in you will start having 4 spawn points you have to cover.

They are all still very doable solo as the wave composition is more balanced towards single player.

I played the first game, it's obviously doable solo. In the first game it wasn't as obvious though. First one had several openings for the orcs to come from, but here it often seems like the level has just been mirrored.

The toughest enemies unlock on Nightmare, but every enemy is unlocked for Endless.

I still can't believe we took down three Mountain Trolls before they even left the first area.

Yes! I made it past wave 40 solo! I made it to 42, but I died... mountain troll and fire orc were the only two left :(

OMD2wave40solo.png

This felt so awesome, haha. I'm definitely enjoying this one over the original.

Ceebs

5 Skull on solo nightmare through the first 4. This next one is a pain in the ass though. I think I need to change my entire approach.

FGMPR

Banned
The tar is so fucking useful. The sorceress is great but no tar = no play, plus my index finger doesn't feel like dropping off after a session on the shotgun as opposed to the wand.

The tar is so fucking useful. The sorceress is great but no tar = no play, plus my index finger doesn't feel like dropping off after a session on the shotgun as opposed to the wand.
That's why I'm not a sorceress. I hated all the clicking. The polymorph ring did work wonders, but you just can't beat tar.

KarmaCow

How big is the download size? I'm tempted to get it now with everyone talking about it but 9 GB is a pretty big download if the store page is to be trusted.

Shambles

Bah, how did i not buy this on sale. I went to my steam list last night after seeing this thread to start the game download. Only then did I realize I never bought it :S

Does OMD2 have splitscreen?

Leezard

I and a fellow gaffer just got ranked 54 on (endless) Close Cliffs! We just passed wave 40 and then got steamrolled by wave 41.

Wow, you guys were right. It takes a while because they are 700 Magic each, but you need a field of Brimstone if you positively, absolutely gotta kill every last Orc in the room.

Yes! I made it past wave 40 solo! I made it to 42, but I died... mountain troll and fire orc were the only two left :(

OMD2wave40solo.png

This felt so awesome, haha. I'm definitely enjoying this one over the original.

I just did the same thing as well. I had gotten to 25 or so the last time I tried, so when I got 5 skulls I only really got 2. :(
Oh well, I got about 13 bonus skulls so I was finally able to afford the brimstone and upgrade it a bit!

InertiaXr

Is it worth playing the first one through solo if I already have it before buying 2 to play with my friend? I see the store page says 10 levels from 1 are in 2 to play coop, is there much else missing from 1 that I should go through?

Caerith

My problem with this is that the mace is pretty much useless now. Mostly because until it's fully upgraded all it really does it knock enemies to the side. Fully upgraded damage it feels a bit more like the mace from the first game but it still occasionally will knock orcs to the side which is just so lame. Not to mention the haymaker pretty much outclasses it in every way possible.

I agree it needed a nerf, but it was taken a bit too far here. Bums me out a little because it was actually my favorite trap from the first game... Though I've found all of my favorite items from the first game to not really be great in OMD2 because of level design.
Yeah, the mace kinda requires a blender on one side so the knockback does something useful. Most of the early levels though just don't have the right ceilings for it, so I've pretty much transitioned out of using it. I am tempted though to pull it out for areas with a low ceiling and an open edge over lava, just seems like it would be useful there since I haven't found much use for a push trap.

It's not too bad all things considered. Fully upgraded It's 90% guaranteed to kill 5 orcs before it has to recharge. That makes it really cheap compared to other floor traps. Also given it's so strong you can lay very few on any normal level and it will be absolutely fine. I tend to make a row of 3 or 4 to catch every kobold that comes through (depending on the hallway size) then set them up in groups of 2 in the middle of the hall, usually making 3 or 4 sets.

I have actually transitioned into only using 2 traps now, brimstone and wall arrows. Those 2 alone can take out every minor enemy no problem, while I use the ice bracelet + bladestaff to deal with ogres/trolls... which I have to say I have a ton of fun doing!
This works exceedingly well. I mix it up with tar pits and level 2 spike traps in between the brimstone rows.
You know, if you hold down the mouse button it fires at full speed. Beats wearing out your finger spamming wand/crossbow blasts.

Top Bottom