• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orcs Must Die! 2 |OT| WHY IS THERE NO OT FOR THIS?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Will this be coming back to XBLA also?

I interviewed a representative from Robot - there are no plans for XBLA.

Wasn't there some fuss about ads for paid unlocks on each loading screen? Is that actually irritating or was it just overblown?

More than overblown - there are no ads for paid unlocks barring Classic Mode, which you get for free if you own OMD1.

More than overblown - there are no ads for paid unlocks barring Classic Mode, which you get for free if you own OMD1.

Yeah, as I understood it, some clown saw the skulls system and concluded there would be microtransactions which would buy more skulls. Wrong, you grind Endless mode instead.

Yeah, as I understood it, some clown saw the skulls system and concluded there would be microtransactions which would buy more skulls. Wrong, you grind Endless mode instead.
I was that clown, but I only made the poor observation. It was somebody else who blew things way out of proportion.

Plissken

Played 10 or so levels with a buddy last night, it was a blast! So glad they let you respec your skulls whenever you want, it really encourages you to experiment more with various traps/weapons/trinkets. I think both of us changed everything up almost every level. Looking forward to finishing the main levels and then tackling endless/classic. Great job everyone at Robot!

ZenaxPure

Well I ended up getting annoyed at crunch and did all the classic levels in coop with a friend. Ended up getting up to 185 skulls and then went to crunch and 4 starred it on my first try. Would have 5 starred it but my PC randomly freaked out and the game froze up and when it came back I was dying in an acid pit.

The key ended up being just spamming brimstone traps (fully upgraded) and arrows at each door then spamming archers at the balcony in the center room. Also used the trap trinket to make sure as little got past the doors as possible. Then I just sat in the middle room and picked off any stragglers that made it past that.

Still really didn't like the level much. Too much just sitting on my hands waiting for dudes to come through.

I don't think so. IIRC, they said they made like 90% of the money from the first game on Steam, and that MS was a pain to work with. There hasn't been a single mention of XBLA for this game.

I think.

Pretty much. There is a couple of interviews where they said the "XBL community" for the original game is "significantly" smaller than the one on PC. Never really gave any specific numbers but it sounds like the XBL version didn't make enough money to justify the hassle.

They have mentioned it though, as in, they have said on multiple occasions they have no plans for an XBLA versions whatsoever.

chiablo

For anyone who plays this, for optimal enjoyment do the following:

1. Equip both the Haymaker and Acid Wall Trap.
2. Find a tight corridor and build what I call "The Dishwasher".
3. Laugh maniacally as you put the Orcs through the rinse cycle.

*I'll try to take screenshots tonight of this, but I found it hilarious.

chiablo

Pretty much. There is a couple of interviews where they said the "XBL community" for the original game is "significantly" smaller than the one on PC. Never really gave any specific numbers but it sounds like the XBL version didn't make enough money to justify the hassle.

They have mentioned it though, as in, they have said on multiple occasions they have no plans for an XBLA versions whatsoever.

It sounds to me like indie developers are finally starting to wake up and realize that the PC is the best platform for small scale games. At least until the next generation of consoles, where Microsoft will hopefully pull it's head out of it's ass and be more friendly to small developers.

:(

Was playing Chasm and I was doing fine and then they all turned invulnerable.

Must be a glitch...

And for some reason sometimes the game stutters. Even when my FPS display doesn't say.

For anyone who plays this, for optimal enjoyment do the following:

1. Equip both the Haymaker and Acid Wall Trap.
2. Find a tight corridor and build what I call "The Dishwasher".
3. Laugh maniacally as you put the Orcs through the rinse cycle.

*I'll try to take screenshots tonight of this, but I found it hilarious.

I will do this.

Ceebs

Co-Op endless mode is the devil.

Only managed wave 25 on Precipice with traps both players using being maxed out.

2 Frost Trolls and 3 Fire Ogres at once on EACH side is just not fair.

syllogism

Only managed wave 25 on Precipice with traps both players using being maxed out.

You really need polymorph to deal with those waves

Flayer

Polymorph Ring/Mind control would deal with that easy. Polymorph ring is pretty mandatory for endless I think, fuck trying to deal with Mountain Trolls conventionally.

Sciz

What irks me about endless mode more than anything is that the difficulty scales up over time less as a factor of increased enemy difficulty and numbers and more because their health just starts scaling up to ridiculous levels. The exact same trap layout against the exact same enemy wave will perform worse over time, eventually getting to the point where the bigger damage sponges can start just waltzing through.

Just beat the game with my roommate. This game is so good.

I think this game would greatly benefit from the Steam Workshop. New maps, weapons, trinkets, and traps would be awesome. People vote on their favorite and the developers try to balance it out, then release it in the game. It would be very similar to TF2.

nilbog21

Banned
Shit man, i can't fucking stand it when you can't start a game on the hardest difficulty. I'm probably not going to play through the game again, ffs.. so now the game is incredibly easy and i'm incredibly bored, although trolling my friend my OCD friend can be a lot of fun xDD don't get me wrong the game is incredibly fun and I love it, it's just way too damn easy and the difficulty is locked. Drives me insane. Maybe it gets harder, but I doubt it

/rant

Just beat the game with my roommate. This game is so good.

I think this game would greatly benefit from the Steam Workshop. New maps, weapons, trinkets, and traps would be awesome. People vote on their favorite and the developers try to balance it out, then release it in the game. It would be very similar to TF2.

That would be amazing.

Just got to level 28 in solo endless on Tunnels. So intense! I can't believe I made it that far. The Gnoll Hunters always overwhelm me. They run straight past everything.

Anyone have an extra copy of the first OMD? I can paypal! I really want to try classic mode. I'm beating myself up because I didn't pick it up over the weekend.

Ceebs

Just got to level 28 in solo endless on Tunnels. So intense! I can't believe I made it that far. The Gnoll Hunters always overwhelm me. They run straight past everything.

Anyone have an extra copy of the first OMD? I can paypal! I really want to try classic mode. I'm beating myself up because I didn't pick it up over the weekend.

Around level 40 or so is the point where the entire level filled with traps will still be letting normal orcs through. It's crazy.

ZenaxPure

I just finished the campaign on Nightmare in coop with a friend. I'm not really sure how I feel about coop in the game now. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a lot of fun but nightmare coop was SIGNIFICANTLY easier than solo normal difficulty, like not even a comparison. The only trouble we had was crunch (unsurprisingly), every other level we mostly just messed around in. Two players at 1 choke point is just absolute overkill.

Also dived into endless mode with my friend. We went to king of the hill first and ended up making it to the 40th wave. 2 comments about that:

King of the Hill might be my favorite map between the 2 games. It is MASSIVE (with portals in good spots thank goodness!) and just has this epic feel to it. By the time we got to wave 40 we probably had like 300 traps laid down across the map.

Other thing is it is a surprising amount of fun. Around wave 20 or so it starts to get really hectic and you really have to coordinate and work out a nice little rhythm to keep everyone at bay. We probably would have made it to wave 50 but around wave 37 the flying enemies were just too much for ~15 archers to handle on their own. Going to replace all of them with ceiling traps next time.

Does anybody have any suggestions for Crunch? I'm having a really hard time on that level.

The strat I posted earlier got me 4 skulls on what was basically my 4th try of the level.

Ceebs

Oh god...I broke a million!

orcsmustdie22012-08-0itl0n.png

Good enough for 45th overall.

Top Bottom