• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

I love that this game gives you a new ability and then mercilessly throws you into the fire with it. Right after you get
the air dash thingy (Y) the section where you have to guide that projectile upwards while dashing upwards using the vines and the projectile you are guiding at the same time... I was stuck there for a good 30 minutes I think, had to be over 50 tries at the sucker.
For some reason, I wasn't annoyed the entire time, and I realized I became REALLY good at that move from having to go through that.

This might be my favorite game on the Xbone so far. Its GOTY until something dethrones it.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
yrQu4iv.jpg

How the hell do I get this?

fardeenah

Banned
i watched my friend complet the game and he died at least 1600 times, great ending.

in the end there is not a bad guy in itself, this game leaves a lot of gray area about who is the main villain, in one perspective the giant tree is the villain for the eagle for killing the little ones and on the other hand the eagle took the light orb and let the forest die, so which one was the villain. the game was awesome

wish i could get the game on steam someday. this game is amazing

EDIT : i'm broke right now. but the steam version is my way to go, no xbox

maxcriden

i watched my friend complet the game and he died at least 1600 times, great ending.

in the end there is not a bad guy in itself, this game leaves a lot of gray area about who is the main villain, in one perspective the giant tree is the villain for the eagle for killing the little ones and on the other hand the eagle took the light orb and let the forest die, so which one was the villain. the game was awesome

wish i could get the game on steam someday. this game is amazing

http://store.steampowered.com/app/261570/ :)

I'm on my no death run now. Its not hard. Just draining. Have 2 save files going at once. Everyb5 or 10 minutes. Save, then update the backup save. If you die, restart quickly enough so the game doesn't keep the death. If you miss it, reload the backup save.

Done.

Also, is there a map stone in the valley of the wind?

What are you "achieving" here?

Deviousx

I am completely stumped on how to get to ability cell in Hollow Groves. The one in the burning forest. I want to get it before I head into the Valley of the Wind.

It is straight forward if you use an xbox controller, just pnp. But if you want to use the ps3 controller you do have to do something else.

Btw, I didn't mean to be snide or condescending in my previous post if I made you feel so. It's just my writing style that often gives off that tone. :p

haha, all good man, I made myself feel dumb for not thinking of controllers other than my PS3 - no worries. Going out to get a 360 controller today :) Can't wait to play this!

Bought the game for my XBOX ONE but have not had a chance to play it yet..since there seems to be some bug issues regarding this game(Freezing causing a hard reboot, saving problems) should I wait to play it when the patch is available?

I'm struggling here:
I just unlocked bash, but I suck at using it. I'm at a point where I have to use like 6 times consecutively or I'm toast and I can't get the hang of it... Sometimes when I press Y it works and other times it doesn't. I thought I coul slow down time and point where I need to go but it reacts to quickly. Any help with how to master bash?

I'm struggling here:
I just unlocked bash, but I suck at using it. I'm at a point where I have to use like 6 times consecutively or I'm toast and I can't get the hang of it... Sometimes when I press Y it works and other times it doesn't. I thought I coul slow down time and point where I need to go but it reacts to quickly. Any help with how to master bash?

Are you holding the button? Someone earlier in the thread was making the mistake of just tapping and seemed to be having a hell of a time.

RoKKeR

Bought the game for my XBOX ONE but have not had a chance to play it yet..since there seems to be some bug issues regarding this game(Freezing causing a hard reboot, saving problems) should I wait to play it when the patch is available?

Very limited reports of bugs, I wouldn't say it's very major. I have 8 hours of playtime and haven't had a single bug crop up, but that's just my experience.

Glad you guys are enjoying it! Again, we got the bug reports and a fix is on the way. Comparatively, most people are totally fine, but it obviously sucks if you actually run into the game breaking issue.

Awesome to read all your impressions here :))

Thomas I've discovered what seems like perhaps a memory leak that is pretty major.

If you're doing the whole "two save files, making a backup every few minutes" for the no deaths run, if you quite out to the main menu then reload a save too quickly, the game hangs, freezes, then actually REBOOTS the Xbox One.

I've never had a game force a reboot of my console before so this seems pretty significant. Perhaps some sort of memory leak is hard-crashing the console and forcing it to reboot or something??

I don't know if the latest dashboard update has anything to do with it. I had zero crashes before the update, but then again I wasn't doing the 'two save file' thing and quitting to the main menu and reloading a save rapidly like I am now.

It's more stable if I hesitate for a second at the pause screen before quitting, then hesitate again at the menu for a few seconds, but it still crashes occassionally. Doesn't ever seem to happen during normal gameplay, only in quitting/reloading scenarios.

The achievement? I'm not responsible for developers being stupid about their achievements. Come up with a stupid achievement? I'll try come up with a stupid solution.

It's not really a stupid achievement but I also don't fault you for your method (I'm doing it too for my FIRST no deaths run, but fully intend on doing a single-segment start to finish no deaths run too eventually, probably as part of a speed run). Don't mind the other guy. That elitist attitude is always going to crop up in forums and whatnot.

I've been pretty lucky so far in terms of major bugs: no hard locks or save issues. However, I am encountering the suspend/restore bug all the time, and while it's not game breaking by any means, it is a nuisance. I keep forgetting to manually exit the application, so every time I boot up the system to start another game session, I get the black flickering screen when I resume the game. Hope they fix it soon.

BashNasty

I'm on my no death run now. Its not hard. Just draining. Have 2 save files going at once. Everyb5 or 10 minutes. Save, then update the backup save. If you die, restart quickly enough so the game doesn't keep the death. If you miss it, reload the backup save.

Done.

Why would you even bother doing that, though? It doesn't sound fun at all and it's completely missing the point of the achievement. Why waste so much time just so you can complete every achievement?

Deviousx

I think the only bug I've encountered was when Ori refused to jump out of the water. I was pretty much stuck and had to die purposely to respawn. It has happened twice so far.

The configuration that got rid of any framerate issues on PC for me was windowed mode with vsync on. Turning vsync off caused some stuttering issues. The triple buffering that windowed mode adds really helps, especially with the input lag.
Thank you for this!

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Why would you even bother doing that, though? It doesn't sound fun at all and it's completely missing the point of the achievement. Why waste so much time just so you can complete every achievement?

Because getting that achievement legit us basically impossible? Being I'm an achievement whore I want all 1000. This is the only way to get it.

lol I'm reaching 7 hour mark with only 55% completion and 350 deaths.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm on 35% after 6hrs 41 mins with 384 deaths. Just died over 150 times doing that first escape. I thought I was starting to hate it but still went mental when I finally did it. This game is the definition of a sneaky bastard with a velvet tongue.

I keep hearing about this game everywhere.

Is this one of the games that defines this generation GAF?

It's a good game and let's just enjoy it without starting to talk about things like that. Does it really matter anyways?

Btw is there really no going back once
you save the tree and the water fills up
? If so that really sucks

Teggy

Because getting that achievement legit us basically impossible? Being I'm an achievement whore I want all 1000. This is the only way to get it.

This attitude is basically why achievements are meaningless. The whole point of achievements was to show you...achieved something. Now a high achievement score just shows how much you boosted and cheated.

And lol at people complaining that their Xbox is having issues while they try and break the game. Do you think they should be testing for such things?

I was enjoying the game, it is gorgeous, great music and atmosphere, and a neat little game.

Then I
got the double jump

Game is damn awesome.

Seriously how in the hell can you grab those orbs in the escape? Shit is actually frustrating me and I got through nearly every level of meat boy.

here's how i ended up doing it. by no means the smoothest way, but it's definitely possible.

http://xboxdvr.com/A 3 Legged Goat/d321b7bf-f659-4bce-ac50-9189c95dbfb8

This game hates when you try to do too much in menus too fast while playing. Especially with lots of saving. I'm on my 15th console reset for this session. The game literally resets my console.

yea this happened to me too. i quit and tried to enter a save really fast, and then GREEN SCREEN

i think it's an XBO issue though as it's also happened to me with other apps. i've had disc read errors but I've never had a game crash on any other system.

The achievement? I'm not responsible for developers being stupid about their achievements. Come up with a stupid achievement? I'll try come up with a stupid solution.

"I can't do it" = "it's stupid." I just don't understand that mentality. You're not interested in actually achieving anything, you just want your e-points. In my opinion every game should have super difficult achievements like this one.

I will probably never get that achievement but I'm glad it's there. it's something to strive for, a perfection I will probably never achieve.

or I guess I could do the equivalent of save states. but what's the fun in that?

I will probably never get that achievement but I'm glad it's there. it's something to strive for, a perfection I will probably never achieve.

or I guess I could do the equivalent of save states. but what's the fun in that?

Yeah I mean I'm not skilled and/or patient enough to get it myself, but I'm glad it exists. I was pretty surprised when I saw it to be honest. A vast majority of the time achievements are anything but actual achievements.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Hm

Did anyone in this thread post about flying straight through portions of the map with Kuro's Feather?

How does the Top Paid section work. Games that are selling most at the moment or something? Also still seems to be doing well on Steam for what it's worth.

Im pretty sure it based on downloads rather than actual "sales" (hence why all the free-to-play stuff is up there) and also AC Black Flag which can be had for pennies for a download code on CDKeys... DAI will be a mix of trials and sales, too.

Its doing great though.

As soon as i got home i started playing again (saved right after water escape)

so far 5:20 and most orbs and skills , 65% and just opened the path to wind (need to now ENTER the dungeon and shit)

Still loving the game so far, and noticied on wind some drops in frame, yep they need to patch this

puebla

Haha, I just made it out the Ginso Tree with all 3 ability orbs on the escape, (I think there was 3). I don't think I've ever enjoyed dying so much in a game before. This fucking game.

Aikidoka

Well, fuck. I hope I'm not the only one who got pissed during that Ginsuo Tree sequence. Don't get me wrong - it's really fucking intense and amazing. But, damn. The fact that you respawn so quickly - a spirit of hope just can't catch a break.

Top Bottom