• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

of the recommendations and other games mentioned in this thread, Shadow Complex has piqued my interest. some clever platforming going on from what i've just watched.

it also highlights how ironically 2 dimensional Ori is.

So, Ginso Tree climb complete and I feel I've played enough to form a pretty good opinion of the game.

It's a good game, a damn good game, but it's also full of flaws. They can range from hitboxes changing at random to it being very hard to determine what is it you're supposed to be doing during certain sections.

I also feel the controls, while very good, have a very slight lag to them. This became very apparent during the Ginso climb where using bash wouldn't always register due to either a lag in the controls or due the ever changing hitbox on projectiles. It's a weird issue and I'm not sure if it can be fixed, but it's something that can become very frustrating when you feel you've just died through no fault of your own.

The frame-rate is also taking some major hits. I noticed some pretty shocking slow down during the Ginso climb. This is pretty disappointing considering the last time we saw this section, the frame-rate seemed perfect...

The combat is decent enough, but I feel the game is generous in the hit range for enemies compared to the extremely small hit range Ori has. It's not a big issue now that Bash has been unlocked, but it's a little frustrating.

Overall, a good game but it's not blowing me away.

Playing no Xone or PC?

I had not noticed any frame drops here (PC), smooth all around, and as fair as bash, i didnt notice any lag during the escape part... i think the controls are as tidy as they couldve been IMHO

Im loving the game btw, counting the hours to go home and backtrack to get new shit before going to wind

We'll see how it holds up over time but I like Ori a lot more than Shadow Complex. Shadow Complex was very much a linear experience while Ori lets you spread your wings a lot more. As a metroid-like I'd call Ori objectively better. It's a lot truer to the exploration experience

Guacamelee was a fun weekend but I never thought of it as a special game. It's a good 7/10 but I don't think I'll be going back.

Playing no Xone or PC?

I had not noticed any frame drops here (PC), smooth all around, and as fair as bash, i didnt notice any lag during the escape part... i think the controls are as tidy as they couldve been IMHO

Im loving the game btw, counting the hours to go home and backtrack to get new shit before going to wind

X1.

It doesn't surprise me to hear the PC version doesn't have any slow down or lag issues (although I'm not sure if the lag is in the game or external factors like the controller or just my X1/TV).

It's been a very long time since I last played a precision platformer like Ori, so it could be an issue with my TV. I'll need to check to see if gaming mode is enabled or not, see if that helps matters. I'm pretty sure it's enabled, but it can't hurt to check.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yay its another horrible chase sequence, because the first 2 were so fun. Its actually bumming me out how much these drag the game down (in my opinion of course)

X1.

It doesn't surprise me to hear the PC version doesn't have any slow down or lag issues (although I'm not sure if the lag is in the game or external factors like the controller or just my X1/TV).

It's been a very long time since I last played a precision platformer like Ori, so it could be an issue with my TV. I'll need to check to see if gaming mode is enabled or not, see if that helps matters. I'm pretty sure it's enabled, but it can't hurt to check.

the Pc version DOES have frame rate dips, it caused me to die a few times in fact. And my computer is pretty beastly before you think its that

yay its another horrible chase sequence, because the first 2 were so fun. Its actually bumming me out how much these drag the game down (in my opinion of course)

the Pc version DOES have frame rate dips, it caused me to die a few times in fact. And my computer is pretty beastly before you think its that

Yup, there are frame rate dips and stutters on pc, unfortunately. I'm guessing it's the engine that's at fault here?

We'll see how it holds up over time but I like Ori a lot more than Shadow Complex. Shadow Complex was very much a linear experience while Ori lets you spread your wings a lot more. As a metroid-like I'd call Ori objectively better. It's a lot truer to the exploration experience

Guacamelee was a fun weekend but I never thought of it as a special game. It's a good 7/10 but I don't think I'll be going back.

Ori definitely had a much larger scope compared to SC, but bigger isn't always better. SC isn't necessarily linear, it's just that it's a more focused experience in terms of map size, which is probably why it feels linear as you often backtrack through the same locations.

I quite like Guacamelee, but it's not particularly memorable beyond the fantastic visuals and unique setting and characters.

It does? Well that's disappointing to hear. I guess it could have used a little more time in the oven....

MaLDo

Playing no Xone or PC?

I had not noticed any frame drops here (PC), smooth all around, and as fair as bash, i didnt notice any lag during the escape part... i

Sorry, I can't believe you.

I tested the game in three different computers. Messed with High resolution timer, useplatformclock, disabling page file, disabling hyperthreading, installing the game in a SSD disk, installing the game in a RAM disk, changing process priority, limiting framerate with RTSS, changing max frames ahead value, using adaptive vsync, playing in borderless windowed mode and a lot of other things.

Ori and the Blind Forest has frametime consistency problems overall and further, every time the game loads assets there is a stutter in the framerate.

In my opinion, those should not exist in a game that is proclaimed to have precise pixel perfect gameplay.

For example

Yup, there are frame rate dips and stutters on pc, unfortunately. I'm guessing it's the engine that's at fault here?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=155626441&postcount=1114

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=155648893&postcount=1164

Teggy

Holy crap. I was 9.5 hours in, around 70% completion I think, and I went through a door that required 4 keys and then killed a bird and then saved my game. I realized I was pretty sure I needed that bird to proceed but it wouldn't respawn. Then I noticed it still showed 4 keys in my inventory. I quit out of the game hoping it would resolve itself, but when I logged back in the save it had was from only 4.5 hours played. I just feel dejected now and don't want to play the game.

I tested the game in three different computers. Messed with High resolution timer, useplatformclock, disabling page file, disabling hyperthreading, installing the game in a SSD disk, installing the game in a RAM disk, changing process priority, limiting framerate with RTSS, changing max frames ahead value, using adaptive vsync, playing in borderless windowed mode and a lot of other things.

Ori and the Blind Forest has frametime consistency problems overall and further, every time the game loads assets there is a stutter in the framerate.

In my opinion, those should not exist in a game that is proclaimed to have precise pixel perfect gameplay.

For example

Some people just don't notice frame rate dips/stutters in games. They just can't spot it. It really does suck that it's there, as it definitely blemishes an otherwise beautiful game aesthetically.

For example

Will play today with fraps on to check it out, but there were dips, they never bothered enough to give any negative effect on my gameplay.

And i had just 100% Castle in the Darkness before going ORI

so my platform skills are sharp as fuck hehe (yep, you try get the last page on castle in the darkness... that will up your level a LOT as fair as platforming goes)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
and finished. 8 hours for almost 100%, think I only missed 1 energy and 1 health thingie (and some xp ones but those dont count aparently). Also missed the very last combat skill, got everything else. Anyway...

Its a great game. But it has quite a few issues that keep it from being the instant classic it looked like it would be in the first hour or so. The chase sequences are in my opinion, awful, and completely ruin the flow of the game. The fact that a metroidvania game locks you our of areas (well one area, unless im mistaken?), quite early too, like midway through the game, is baffling. And the game has a tendancy to have strange respawn for some enemies that you need to progress through some zones, but thats nitpicking. The technical issues with frame rate dips, that in a skill based platformer actually impact the game, are unfortunate but hopefully fixed with a patch.

Besides that, the game look unbelivable, the soundtrack is great, the controls are super tighy and the level desgin is good. Its a good, no, great game / metroidvania, that could have been amazing. Worth the 20 bucks/euros? I would say yes, although I think 15 would be the sweet spot (especially euros). But if the extra 5 is the "graphics tax" compared to other similar games, ill take it to be honest. If I was a reviewer I would probably give it a 8.

edit: final stat screen, I dont think this is spoilery, its just stats

tpueiq.png

dem deaths! :p

Holy crap. I was 9.5 hours in, around 70% completion I think, and I went through a door that required 4 keys and then killed a bird and then saved my game. I realized I was pretty sure I needed that bird to proceed but it wouldn't respawn. Then I noticed it still showed 4 keys in my inventory. I quit out of the game hoping it would resolve itself, but when I logged back in the save it had was from only 4.5 hours played. I just feel dejected now and don't want to play the game.

Now that's weird. I wonder if that's a save syncing issue that has nothing to do with the game.

About half-way through and right now I would say its the most accomplished all around metroidvaniaishlike game since the classic days. It doesn't reach the incredible heights of Super Metroid by a longshot but as a complete package, I would take it over Guac and Shadow Complex by a bit. Again, that's my impressions half-way through, keep it up white little fella!

DirtyLarry

Based on the latest impressions I am going to hold off on this game now. I was hesitant already just because I already have so much to play and not enough time to play everything, so it is probably for the best anyway.

Will keep it in the back of my mind though and perhaps revisit it down the road and/or definitely pick it up if it is on sale, etc.

Kensuke

This game seems to be full of game breaking bugs. Unacceptable.

see5harp

Seriously how in the hell can you grab those orbs in the escape? Shit is actually frustrating me and I got through nearly every level of meat boy.

finished 10 minutes ago
right now, i just want to say thank you to Moon Studios
Ori and the Blind Forest is a true masterpiece, one of the best games that i've ever played

THANK YOU

I beat it last night. Question for anyone who also beat it; my game crashed during the ending. I can't go back and access the save (I can watch the ending in the cutscenes). Is this just how the game is or did the crash screw up my save? I was hoping I could go back and grab the final upgrades I missed.

and finished. 8 hours for almost 100%, think I only missed 1 energy and 1 health thingie (and some xp ones but those dont count aparently). Also missed the very last combat skill, got everything else. Anyway...

Its a great game. But it has quite a few issues that keep it from being the instant classic it looked like it would be in the first hour or so. The chase sequences are in my opinion, awful, and completely ruin the flow of the game. The fact that a metroidvania game locks you our of areas (well one area, unless im mistaken?), quite early too, like midway through the game, is baffling. And the game has a tendancy to have strange respawn for some enemies that you need to progress through some zones, but thats nitpicking. The technical issues with frame rate dips, that in a skill based platformer actually impact the game, are unfortunate but hopefully fixed with a patch.

Besides that, the game look unbelivable, the soundtrack is great, the controls are super tighy and the level desgin is good. Its a good, no, great game / metroidvania, that could have been amazing. Worth the 20 bucks/euros? I would say yes, although I think 15 would be the sweet spot (especially euros). But if the extra 5 is the "graphics tax" compared to other similar games, ill take it to be honest. If I was a reviewer I would probably give it a 8.

edit: final stat screen, I dont think this is spoilery, its just stats

tpueiq.png

dem deaths! :p

It's easily worth $20. Doesn't have the bullshit filler and padding of AAA games

Kyuur

I beat it last night. Question for anyone who also beat it; my game crashed during the ending. I can't go back and access the save (I can watch the ending in the cutscenes). Is this just how the game is or did the crash screw up my save? I was hoping I could go back and grab the final upgrades I missed.

You can't play after beating the game, unfortunately.

I fell down trying to get across the valley of the wind to enter the misty woods. Now it seems as if I can not get back to the top. Any one have a suggestion or help

KaYotiX

Banned
Love this game so much, when I turn on my xbox I boot it up asap. Not gonna bother with some of those achievements though. Ugh... No deaths? Wow.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Love this game so much, when I turn on my xbox I boot it up asap. Not gonna bother with some of those achievements though. Ugh... No deaths? Wow.

I'm on my no death run now. Its not hard. Just draining. Have 2 save files going at once. Everyb5 or 10 minutes. Save, then update the backup save. If you die, restart quickly enough so the game doesn't keep the death. If you miss it, reload the backup save.

Done.

Also, is there a map stone in the valley of the wind?

RoKKeR

lol I'm reaching 7 hour mark with only 55% completion and 350 deaths.

My death count is similar haha.

Right now I'm starting to go around and fill out the map before I go the final area. I've found a few map stones for which I have no map stone keys and don't know where to find them... any thoughts on this?

Glad you guys are enjoying it! Again, we got the bug reports and a fix is on the way. Comparatively, most people are totally fine, but it obviously sucks if you actually run into the game breaking issue.

Awesome to read all your impressions here :))

Navy Bean

My death count is similar haha.

Right now I'm starting to go around and fill out the map before I go the final area. I've found a few map stones for which I have no map stone keys and don't know where to find them... any thoughts on this?

I found 2 map keys in
Misty Woods
around the bottom areas but only 1 map stone...might try there. I have a feeling I missed a map stone along the way.

I just
finished the Ginsu Tree (is that correct? playing on Chinese version) escape holy boy it's intense but fantastic! I love it that it gave you the tool (bash) not that long ago and then immediately asks you to be a master of it.
3 hours in my death count is already at 200 lol.

Teggy

Glad you guys are enjoying it! Again, we got the bug reports and a fix is on the way. Comparatively, most people are totally fine, but it obviously sucks if you actually run into the game breaking issue.

Awesome to read all your impressions here :))

If you need more detail on where my game broke let me know and I can send you the exact steps I took before it happened.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
This game hates when you try to do too much in menus too fast while playing. Especially with lots of saving. I'm on my 15th console reset for this session. The game literally resets my console.

Grisby

Got the water thingy and am gonna head to the tree.

Some fun platforming here and I really like the save system.

There's some dips though when explosions happen. Nothing to huge but it's noticeable.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
So there's a blue spirit jewel in the misty woods. But I cant seem to get in to where it is. I assume its the one I didn't have on my first play through.

Any ideas?

Update on the water glitch in the Reddit AMA today:

"We think we're close to figuring out this issue. I won't sleep until it's fixed, that's for sure! The next patch should resolve these issues. I don't want to promise anything, but it seems like this is a code issue and does not necessarily mean your save file is screwed.
Sorry! I hope you can still find yourself enjoying the game once it's fixed :)"

Good to know our saves aren't screwed. Whew...

Dezzy

Took the plunge on PC, anyone else turned off motion blur? I think it looks better without, am I missing something?

I turned off the blur right away, just like in every game that has it. Not sure why anyone would want more blur added to games when lcd screens already add a slight blur as it is.

Top Bottom