• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

Noobcraft

That's a pretty low bar, though, isn't it? The Order hasn't exactly had a rapturous reception.

It's a fun game. I think it's deserving of Eurogamer's "Recommended" rather than "Essential" tag - it's very enjoyable but I don't think it's shattered any paradigms or proven the pinnacle of its genre or anything like that.
I think it's the pinnacle of its genre currently. Opinions though.

Edit: wait. Are we talking about Ori or The Order lol? I think Ori is the pinnacle of its genre. The Order might be the pinnacle for 3D graphics currently, on consoles anyways.

Detective

That's a pretty low bar, though, isn't it? The Order hasn't exactly had a rapturous reception.

It's a fun game. I think it's deserving of Eurogamer's "Recommended" rather than "Essential" tag - it's very enjoyable but I don't think it's shattered any paradigms or proven the pinnacle of its genre or anything like that.

The order was supposed to be a true next gen experience, that was my point. Not talking about review score:)

Navy Bean

Game needs to let you fast travel between map markers.

Anyone know what the point of no return is? I'm at the
Wind Escape
sequence. Still loving the game...

BokehKing

Banned
Fun game, I think the 'feels' have been greatly exaggerated though.

And this may sound crazy (or even an unfair comparison) but I think Rayman legends looks better...

With that said, this is a very 'chill /relax' type game, have to have patience, if you have none I can see this game being a 5/10 for you

I would give it a solid 8 so far

At work, finished hotilne miami 2 (fucking sad that only now i discovered how great lockon is seeing some videos... went through the whole game not using it... fml)

And just wanna get home and play more ori....

lt519

Just died a million times during escaping part:(

You should see my death count. I've been stubbornly trying to get to places I'm not supposed to all game long. Playing the actual game? It's at like 15-20. Exploring, it's like 150. I can't tell you how many lives I wasted trying to get ability spheres in the poison water and finally escape to tell the story. I reallly pushed it before even going to the Ginsu tree. I had like 7 health orbs, 6 energy orbs, and the triple jump tree fully leveled plus a couple other abilities.

Fun game, I think the 'feels' have been greatly exaggerated though.

Agreed, the visuals and music are amazing, but the short intro didn't really build a huge connection for me. It was definitely touching, but not tear jerking. People just like to over exaggerate how much games have moved them.

I asked a friend who plays a bunch of games (compared to me) to recommend me a new platformer, and he told me to give Rayman Legends another try, so i threw it on for a few more levels.

It's probably not the best point of comparison, but at this point i feel that Ori is in another league. Ori's narrative is very much a part of the way the game is structured (i know GAF hates calling games cinematic, but Ori feels structured and presented that way). Legends on the other hand is all over the place and blowing slapstick humor in my face. It feels oversaturated with cheese and obnoxious menus, which i don't really find charming. I imagine Rayman gains new abilities as the game progresses, but controlling him in the earlier stages feels very sluggish and just frankly wasn't fun. And the whole dual character dynamic cheapens the difficulty. The environments may be more "interactive", but as far as i can see, they don't offer much in the way of creativity.

Again, there are probably more appropriate comparisons out there. I just wanted to highlight my qualms with what certain styles of games in the platforming genre have become. I liked Rayman when it was on the PC with more creative platforming and subtler humor. It's not that i don't like humorous games (Castle Crashers is the last major indie game i picked up and that was hilarious), but this game really makes it overbearing and it's taken me out of it. Maybe i'm just looking for a different experience in platformers these days. The muted and melancholy mood of Ori has spoiled me.

Is there any other game like this with similar visual fidelity, gameplay and/or storytelling?

Rocketz

Did the first
escape
last night and I loved it. Was challenging but still a lot of fun. The music and everything happening at once was amazing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
nvm just found it lol. the last power to
reveal secret areas showed it :)

Yeah, inaccessible areas are a bummer. Fortunately at least the bulk of the game is outside those zones. The achievement hunter in me wonders if the collectibles inside those one-and-done areas count toward the 'all secrets' achievement since they're just orange ability orbs, which are different than the clear Ability Spheres which give a full point. I'm thinking only the spheres for Ability/Health/Energy count toward it, as well as the blue glowing rocks you destroy with the charge flame, but I haven't confirmed yet.

Nope just the glowing orange abilty orbs as far as I recall. The clear agility spheres that give a full upgrade point, the health upgrades, and the energy upgrades are all on the world map not within those areas.

I was wrong about this. The dungeons do contain the more important collectibles, so they are definitely missable. The
Ginso Tree
for instance contains at least an Energy upgrade orb, just now got it. I completely forgot about this. So it would be wise to scour the 3 main 'dungeons' carefully.

i asked a friend who plays a bunch of games to recommend me a new platformer, and he told me to give Rayman legends another try, so i threw it on for a few more levels.

it's probably not the best point of comparison, but at this point i feel that Ori is in another league. Ori's narrative is very much a part of the way the game is structured (i know GAF hates calling games cinematic, but Ori feels structured and presented that way). Legends on the other hand is all over the place and blowing slapstick humor in my face. it feels oversaturated with cheese and obnoxious menus. i imagine Rayman gains new abilities as the game progresses, but controlling him in the early levels feels very sluggish and just frankly wasn't fun. and the whole dual character dynamic cheapens the difficulty. the environments may be more "interactive", but as far as i can see, they don't offer much in the way of creativity.

again, there are probably more appropriate comparisons out there. i just wanted to highlight my qualms with what the platforming genre has become. i liked Rayman when it was on the PC and subtler in its humor. it's not that i don't like humorous games (castle crashers is the last major indie game i picked up and that was hilarious), but this game really makes it overbearing and it's taken me out of it. maybe i'm just looking for a different experience in platformers these days. the muted and melancholy mood of Ori has spoiled me.

is there any other game like this with similar visual fidelity, gameplay and/or storytelling?

I love Rayman and it is a solid platformer but if your looking for something like Ori in Rayman I don't think that's the best place to look. You don't get new abilities in this game but they throw in new challenges in the levels to mix it up. IMO Rayman is at its best with the infiltration levels that appear later on.

I'd check out guacamelee if you have already as it is up with Ori in terms of all the things you mentioned. Apotheon is pretty decent alternative too.

Feindflug

You spoiler tag bash but not the
water sequence and its tension/platforming
? Kids these days ;p

Yeah it was pointless to spoiler tag bash I agree since it's barely giving away anything same with water sequence which involves a sequence with water? there's water in this game? dat spoiler...also I'm probably older than you but whatever.

I love Rayman and it is a solid platformer but if your looking for something like Ori in Rayman I don't think that's the best place to look. You don't get new abilities in this game but they throw in new challenges in the levels to mix it up. IMO Rayman is at its best with the infiltration levels that appear later on.

I'd check out guacamelee if you have already as it is up with Ori in terms of all the things you mentioned. Apotheon is pretty decent alternative too.

yea at first i just wanted to pick up more platformers to familiarize myself with the genre (Metroid Fusion and this one Crash game on the GBA are the last ones i remember playing). it seems like i'm just looking for more Ori though.

Guac looks creative and whimsical, but i'm not sure it'll scratch the itch. the presentation is a huge part of why i find it captivating.

Its at least a tad better than "good".

I'm enjoying it but I can tell it won't stay with me once I finish it. Thats good to me. The presentation however, is amazing

Gotta disagree. It is amazing. Not genre or generation defining, but definitely amazing.

It just isn't hooking me like I thought. Controls are tight and responsive but I'm not feeling a great sense of accomplishment over my actions if that makes any sense.

Im good with the "Ha no bro" but not so good with the "It's a good game but nothing amazing". The game as whole is amazing. Your opinion is wrong.

Ah don't be upset Kermie. You have a martini after all

PhatSaqs

Banned
Went back and had a fun read of this after E3 reveal thread. I'd say the initial reaction was definitely warranted.
Guac looks creative and whimsical, but i'm not sure it'll scratch the itch. the presentation is a huge part of why i find it captivating.
I'd say give Guac a whirl for sure but its a different game with emphasis on different things. You have to experience them both to really understand what that means tho.

It just isn't hooking me like I thought. Controls are tight and responsive but I'm not feeling a great sense of accomplishment over my actions if that makes any sense.

How far into it are you. I enjoyed it at first, but it didn't click for me entirely until I got
"bash."

I played a bit of guacamelee at a friends house the other day and was cool, its more combat oriented tough.

i like that ori's combat abilities are mostly focused on movement but still do significant damage to enemies.

they definitely made this game with speed running in mind

The story/setting in gauc isn't quite as pretty and whimsical as Ori but it really has its own captivating charm. I'd recommend playing the vanilla version though as the new level in the updated version completely ruined the pacing of the game IMO.

Navy Bean

this game is gonna create a new breed and we're not going to be quenched :(

maybe nintendo will revive metroid

Somehow I've never played a metroid game. And I don't really know why as I've been playing games consistently since the 80's (I'm old).

On topic, one of my favorite things about this game is the sense of scale it delivers in a 2D game...

So, Ginso Tree climb complete and I feel I've played enough to form a pretty good opinion of the game.

It's a good game, a damn good game, but it's also full of flaws. They can range from hitboxes changing at random to it being very hard to determine what is it you're supposed to be doing during certain sections.

I also feel the controls, while very good, have a very slight lag to them. This became very apparent during the Ginso climb where using bash wouldn't always register due to either a lag in the controls or due the ever changing hitbox on projectiles. It's a weird issue and I'm not sure if it can be fixed, but it's something that can become very frustrating when you feel you've just died through no fault of your own.

The frame-rate is also taking some major hits. I noticed some pretty shocking slow down during the Ginso climb. This is pretty disappointing considering the last time we saw this section, the frame-rate seemed perfect...

The combat is decent enough, but I feel the game is generous in the hit range for enemies compared to the extremely small hit range Ori has. It's not a big issue now that Bash has been unlocked, but it's a little frustrating.

Overall, a good game but it's not blowing me away.

So, Ginso Tree climb complete and I feel I've played enough to form a pretty good opinion of the game.

It's a good game, a damn good game, but it's also full of flaws. They can range from hitboxes changing at random to it being very hard to determine what is it you're supposed to be doing during certain sections.

I also feel the controls, while very good, have a very slight lag to them. This became very apparent during the Ginso climb where using bash wouldn't always register due to either a lag in the controls or due the ever changing hitbox on projectiles. It's a weird issue and I'm not sure if it can be fixed, but it's something that can become very frustrating when you feel you've just died through no fault of your own.

The frame-rate is also taking some major hits. I noticed some pretty shocking slow down during the Ginso climb. This is pretty disappointing considering the last time we saw this section, the frame-rate seemed perfect...

The combat is decent enough, but I feel the game is generous in the hit range for enemies compared to the extremely small hit range Ori has. It's not a big issue now that Bash has been unlocked, but it's a little frustrating.

Miles are you my alt account?

ur just a h8r

EDIT: Might as well just take screenshots instead of playing the game.

PhatSaqs

Banned

But did you screenshot?

I think I'd recommend Outland as a game for people to try if they wanted more Ori. it's not a pure Metroidvania but the overall aesthetic and focus on super tight platforming fits. plus it's just a really goddamn good game.

Haunted

I liked that a friend of mine sat at the opening for a couple seconds before she actually realised that she was already in control. It looks that good.

At work, finished hotilne miami 2 (fucking sad that only now i discovered how great lockon is seeing some videos... went through the whole game not using it... fml)
hard mode gets rid of lock-on, so consider it as excellent training and preparation for your accuracy :D

Miles are you my alt account?

It's pretty eerie how our impressions seem to echo each others on a fair few games.

I really do like the game, but it's definitely not the experience I thought it would be and I can say with some certainly it won't stick with me in the same way Shadow Complex did for example. That game was the perfect metroidvania experience and it's yet to be topped in my opinion.

This, while very good (and I really do give Moon Studios credit for crafting a very beautiful game with some fantastic music), just doesn't come remotely close to matching the greats in the metroidvania genre.

It's a very good first step though. A sequel would probably see them snapping at the heels of the gods, but right now? It's falling behind and struggling to even keep the others in sight.

ur just a h8r

EDIT: Might as well just take screenshots instead of playing the game.

But did you screenshot?

I've taken a ton of screenshots, but the voice command simply isn't fit for purpose right now. By the time you get Kinect to register the command, the shot you wanted to capture is long gone.

Still, it's good to finally have the screenshot option. I just need to get used to using the controller to take shots I guess.

I've taken a ton of screenshots, but the voice command simply isn't fit for purpose right now. By the time you get Kinect to register the command, the shot you wanted to capture is long gone.

Still, it's good to finally have the screenshot option. I just need to get used to using the controller to take shots I guess.

You don't deserve to take screenshots of my beautiful and innocent Ori.

PhatSaqs

Banned
LOL. Right as I complete my edit.

lol great minds... :p

Cool cool. Yeah I dont use Kinect for screens. Feels like I have to rush the command to get exactly what I want. Double tap home + Y feels better for getting close there IMO but still not perfection.

You don't deserve to take screenshots of my beautiful and innocent Ori.

It's a very beautiful game. Very beautiful. I was going through my captures and couldn't decide which one to use my background, there's just so many stunning ones to choose from.

Does anyone know if there's any plans for a Xbox Clips like site for just screenshots? Would be pretty cool if they uploaded automatically like clips do...

Cool cool. Yeah I dont use Kinect for screens. Feels like I have to rush the command to get exactly what I want. Double tap home + Y feels better for getting close there IMO but still not perfection.

Yeah, that's exactly the problem for me. I'm just so used to using Kinect for video captures that it's hard breaking that habit.

I just need to get used to using the controller. It can be a little difficult in the heat of the moment to use that option, which is why I find myself a little frustrated the voice command isn't up to scratch. I expect the double tap will eventually become second nature the more I use it though, so it's not a huge problem.

Top Bottom