• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

Ziffles

There are over 300k people who put Ori on their STEAM wishlist, which is immensly impressive - If you want to support us, now would be a good time to convert that wishlist item into an actual sale cause we will be negotiating with publishers about future projects very soon. The sales so far will decide on whether or not we're allowed to make another game like Ori.

We put everything we had into developing Ori and I think there's a huge amount of potential within our team to do even better next time. We want to build the best games out there for you guys - but in return, we ask for a little support in terms of sales. If you guys pirated Ori or only played it at a friends place and enjoyed it, we'd definitely appreciate your support. We live if you give :)
Two words: Steam Workshop ;)

But no, it probably didn't help that Cities:Skylines was released the same day as your game, which is pretty much lightning in a bottle at this point. It's funny though, these two games seem to exist along side one another perfectly somehow.

MaLDo

There are over 300k people who put Ori on their STEAM wishlist, which is immensly impressive - If you want to support us, now would be a good time to convert that wishlist item into an actual sale cause we will be negotiating with publishers about future projects very soon. The sales so far will decide on whether or not we're allowed to make another game like Ori.

We put everything we had into developing Ori and I think there's a huge amount of potential within our team to do even better next time. We want to build the best games out there for you guys - but in return, we ask for a little support in terms of sales. If you guys pirated Ori or only played it at a friends place and enjoyed it, we'd definitely appreciate your support. We live if you give :)

You deserve a lot of praise because the game is really awesome.

There are a few issues in Ori, which are a bit annoying. If you want to support your customers, now would be a good time to fix those issues, because I already bought the game I had on my wish list. The patch that fix these problems so far will decide on when I can play and enjoy the game.

I put my money paying Ori and I think there is a huge amount of potential within the game. I want to play it, and if you guys have released a game with stuttering problems that affect the gameplay, we'd definitely appreciate your support with a patch. We play what you serve :)

Btw, I'm pretty sure you will dogde this again.

Rarely do I post on Neogaf but honestly Ori is one of the greatest games ive played in a long time. Will be spreading the word to buy Ori for a sequel. It is officially in Xbox Empire on VGC. Will likely make a thread there too

On a side note i want merchandise for Ori. A statue with the mother holding ori similare to this picture would be great http://i.imgur.com/xPIcMCX.png

I put my money paying Ori and I think there is a huge amount of potential within the game. I want to play it, and if you guys have released a game with stuttering problems that affect the gameplay, we'd definitely appreciate your support with a patch. We play what you serve :)

Btw, I'm pretty sure you will dogde this again.

Huh? When did I dodge something? A patch is in the works and will be released ASAP :)

Ziffles

I also think a lot of people on PC are just unsure about this game now. Kind of an "eh, I'll get it on sale" mindset. My buddy was apprehensive until I showed it to him in person, now he's further along than I am.

I think this is partly from lack of promotion. Look at Metacritic, there's 53 reviews for the XBO version but only 3 for PC. Not that there's a difference in versions, but the disparity makes it seem like it's an afterthought, when it really wasn't. Aside from the known issues, the PC version is tight as hell.

I'm saying: If you want to support Moon Studios, buy Ori on whichever platform you like. And then tell everyone you know to buy it, too, so we can make more games for you guys :)

It's a bit mind-boggling that over 300.000 people have Ori on their wishlist, but haven't decided to buy it yet. Maybe that's normal, but I wonder what they're waiting for ;)

I don't think I'm allowed yet to talk about the Xbox and PC sales officially!

Steam sales are to blame for the most part and I'm sure that happens to a lot of games.
For me personally, I put it on my wishlist because I planned on buying it 'one of these days'. Watching the game on Lirik's stream convinced me to.
I'm going to purchase the game now because of your posts.

MaLDo

Huh? When did I dodge something? A patch is in the works and will be released ASAP :)

There are a lot of performance problems in this thread but you only seems aware of stuck on the water bug or checkpoint problems. In fact, I've read nothing about a performance fix in the works, only that Arthur is not happy with how the game loads assets because deadlines. And that the game uses a custom branch of Unity and he wants to migrate to official branch sometime in the future. Neither thing inspire any confidence of performance patches in the works that really could fix the stuttering problem.

MaLDo

I also think a lot of people on PC are just unsure about this game now. Kind of an "eh, I'll get it on sale" mindset. My buddy was apprehensive until I showed it to him in person, now he's further along than I am.

I think this is partly from lack of promotion. Look at Metacritic, there's 53 reviews for the XBO version but only 3 for PC. Not that there's a difference in versions, but the disparity makes it seem like it's an afterthought, when it really wasn't. Aside from the known issues, the PC version is tight as hell.

People tend read some forums before click the buy button on steam. Ori is an awesome game but there are big problems; performance, save glitches, stuck on water, loss of progress, not working trigger in the controller, crash at startup, etc that are very visible in the community because people with those problems is very vocal. They can't use their time enjoying the game, so they will annoy here and there in the meantime. I'd rather be enjoying the game I paid instead of bothering Thomas with problems he can not solve.

Console players are reluctant to understand that games can have problems. Pc gamers are more chastened.

ChrisD

So I've never actually looked up what this game is. Haven't seen the name very much, but I do scroll by the thread daily. Finally clicking it, the game looks awesome! Just one question that's a make-or-break: are 360 controllers fully supported on PC? And to further the question, is it still a good play or is there any reason I should wait on console releases?

We had a great time with Microsoft. They completely understood and supported our vision. We initially even pitched Ori as a much smaller project, but when we all saw what we had and that we could turn this into a much bigger thing, Microsoft understood and re-invested more money into the studio, so we could finish Ori's production in the right way.

Microsoft got a lot of shit from other indie developers (and generally got shit on a lot over the past few months), but thankfully, we haven't had anything but positive experiences with them. Dan, Mark, Torin and everyone who helped with Oris development - You have our thanks! :)

Having said that, I think we're all interested in looking at the world of Nibel again in the future and I already started writing down ideas for what I'd like to do with it - who knows if that will be our next project, but we definitely like our relationship with Microsoft and it's a possibility if they see it as a financial and critical success.

I was hoping Microsoft would do what they did with Undead Labs and sign you on a multi-game deal. Ori is great and i'd love to see the relationship continue with MS, doesn't necessarily sound so promising though, i'd have expected MS to been quite proactive in making that happen given at the very least, the critical success of Ori.

Its been pretty much in the top 3 top selling games on the UK store since launch only being beaten out by titles that are currently free, its also the top rated title on Xbox One with the full 5 stars.

-Gozer-

It really surprises me how fast talks start for the next game. I'd figured you'd get a month or so to see how well it sold. It really highlights how important the first weeks sales are. I hope the talks go well.

I'm about 75% through the game and it has quickly become one of my favorite 2d platformers. I've been recommending it to my friends irl and on Steam. I want to see more games like this from this team.

Sordid

Just finished this today and it was awesome! The platforming was tight, the story was great and the chases were intense but never felt frustrating. Good job Moon Studios :)

A few achievements didn't pop during one of my sessions which sucks but I didn't encounter any of the big bugs so it could've been worse.

It really surprises me how fast talks start for the next game. I'd figured you'd get a month or so to see how well it sold. It really highlights how important the first weeks sales are. I hope the talks go well.

I'm about 75% through the game and it has quickly become one of my favorite 2d platformers. I've been recommending it to my friends irl and on Steam. I want to see more games like this from this team.

I think that's mostly on me :) Most people at Moon are on their well-deserved vacation now, but I just hate taking breaks, since I feel like I'm wasting time. I never had any vacation after Starcraft 2 shipped when I was still at Blizzard and I don't intend to have a vacation now that Ori has shipped. We still have a patch to ship so that 100% of the people who bought Ori are happy and there are other prototypes I'm working on that I'm quite in love with.

I just don't feel comfortable resting. We don't have any Ori sequel in the works atm, I'm just thinking out loud and I like hearing feedback from everyone here regarding Ori and regarding what you guys think we should do better next time.

So I've never actually looked up what this game is. Haven't seen the name very much, but I do scroll by the thread daily. Finally clicking it, the game looks awesome! Just one question that's a make-or-break: are 360 controllers fully supported on PC? And to further the question, is it still a good play or is there any reason I should wait on console releases?

I tried it with both 360 and Xbox One pads on PC. Works great with both.

puebla

Just wanted to chime in and say that the pc controls are perfect. I never even thought about using my controller.

Grisby

Believe I'm at the point of no return. Stien just said if I enter I might not make it back. *ominous cue*

Unfortunately, I still have one skill tree to fill out and I don't feel like grinding. Want that achievement for filling everything out but eeehhhh I might just go ahead and beat it.

Exentryk

Believe I'm at the point of no return. Stien just said if I enter I might not make it back. *ominous cue*

Unfortunately, I still have one skill tree to fill out and I don't feel like grinding. Want that achievement for filling everything out but eeehhhh I might just go ahead and beat it.

Did you already collect all the ability spheres and spirit containers from the map? Learning that EXP+ ability really helps in getting all the abilities in time. I have all trees full and the last dungeon to go.

If Microsoft doesn't so anything else with this IP then they are stupid.

I haven't had these kind of feels since playing games on my Nintendo 64.

laser

Neo Member
The game is great and the music is awesome, but I've gotten crashes in the 2nd half of the game. Then the game blu-screens and when I restart my computer and open the game again, my save is missing. Really not happy about this. Guess I'll just wait a couple of months before trying to start again.

If Microsoft doesn't so anything else with this IP then they are stupid.

I haven't had these kind of feels since playing games on my Nintendo 64.

The storyline in this game does so much with so little.

The Prologue only lasted like 5 minutes, but told a moving narrative within.

Just finished it. Before I start with the criticism know that I have set my alarm for 5 am since launch just to have uninterrupted time with this game. Its gorgeous, the platforming is great, the upgrades feel meaningful and add a lot to the experience.

My issue is why does only last dungeon use all the mechanics? There are 2 distinct areas which just seem out of place and to be honest were not that much fun to complete. With the myriad of abilities you end up with why do we need to carry around a
gravity ball
? Thats been done before, I want to use
bash, triple jump,
etc.

The last dungeon was great. The exit from it was great. I just wanted more with the full arsenal, for a little longer.

This game is on the short list of great metroidlikes, I just wish there was more at the end to make us use all the cool stuff we were given.

I think that's mostly on me :) Most people at Moon are on their well-deserved vacation now, but I just hate taking breaks, since I feel like I'm wasting time. I never had any vacation after Starcraft 2 shipped when I was still at Blizzard and I don't intend to have a vacation now that Ori has shipped. We still have a patch to ship so that 100% of the people who bought Ori are happy and there are other prototypes I'm working on that I'm quite in love with.

I just don't feel comfortable resting. We don't have any Ori sequel in the works atm, I'm just thinking out loud and I like hearing feedback from everyone here regarding Ori and regarding what you guys think we should do better next time.
So far, Ori is the best 2D platformer I have played,but I would love to see a 3d Ori game with the same hub/semi open world platforming. But no matter what, you end up doing, I think that the whole Ori IP/universe is something very special, and definitely worth revisiting!

cool_dude

Banned
Wife bought the Ori soundtrack at work after only watching me play for 20 minutes. I told her it's available on my Xbox music, but she wanted it for herself, hehe.

In the Valley of Wind, what's the deal with
the switch that pans over to a nearby tree but doesn't reveal anything
? Am I missing something obvious?

dedhead54

I just started the game on Xbone and almost shed a tear at how beautiful the soundtrack was at the beginning. That first theme that is played is epic. Game looks and plays beautifully as well. Cannot wait to experience the whole thing.

TheMAK

Banned
I just started the game on Xbone and almost shed a tear at how beautiful the soundtrack was at the beginning. That first theme that is played is epic. Game looks and plays beautifully as well. Cannot wait to experience the whole thing.

You are in for a treat mate... be prepared to experience one of the most beautiful game ever created.

puebla

Fuck this volcano level sideways. Absolutely terrible.
haha i found the mountain to be fun and easy for the most part, except for that damn spot where you have to shoot up to the moving platforms where one has the lever. I'm pretty sure I died more times there than the Ginso Tree.

Mesoian

haha i found the mountain to be fun and easy for the most part, except for that damn spot where you have to shoot up to the moving platforms where one has the lever. I'm pretty sure I died more times there than the Ginso Tree.

It was the chase that drove me up the wall. There simply wasn't enough time for me to figure out what I had to do at each point in order to progress, so it became a big game of trial and error platforming, which was a huge pain in the ass. None of those sequences were very good, but that one is on a much stricter timer which killed the whole experience.

Beat it though, i'm done. Man that level made the game end on a sour note with me though.

RoKKeR

It was the chase that drove me up the wall. There simply wasn't enough time for me to figure out what I had to do at each point in order to progress, so it became a big game of trial and error platforming, which was a huge pain in the ass. None of those sequences were very good, but that one is on a much stricter timer which killed the whole experience.

Beat it though, i'm done. Man that level made the game end on a sour note with me though.
That's a bummer, I thought the last escape sequence was the easiest. Took me the least amount of tries to finish. It's clear those maybe need some balancing though... very divisive.

Rigbaby

Neo Member
Picked it up on PC and the whole family loved it. Ori (IMO) has earned a spot right next to Muramasa and Comix Zone for best side scroller.

Sequels please!

lt519

Fuck this volcano level sideways. Absolutely terrible.

Talk about breaking the flow.

I loved it, definitely the best level in the game. The mini puzzle rooms were fantastic. The escape sequence was the worst (relative) because reaction time was so low to figure out what needed to be done. I could barely absorb what was even going on in the screen where you
use the feather to float up, it took me forever to figure out.

TheGrue

Beat the game earlier this evening. Absolutely loved it from start to finish. Beautiful game in probably my favorite genre and very challenging. Was kind of sad to see it end.

I accidentally read for people to take out the escape sequences after I but there were what, 3 of them? They were all fantastic imo. Probably took 10-12 attempts for each for me. Loved all 3 and thought they were the perfect amount at the perfect time.

Grisby

Did you already collect all the ability spheres and spirit containers from the map? Learning that EXP+ ability really helps in getting all the abilities in time. I have all trees full and the last dungeon to go.
Well, hopefully that skill isn't too far up the last tree. I'm not sure if I collected them all, but I'll check.

Finished it a few minutes ago, what a game. GOTY is sown up, move everything else to 2016.

Great game, everything feels so well designed and put together, loved it.

Yeah, maybe when you guys patch in 21:9 support, I will take it off my wishlist and actually purchase it.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Now that quite a few people here have finished Ori and the Blind Forest (our Tech Team is currently working on a patch that should fix all the issues that have been reported to us, so that everyone can enjoy their experience), let's maybe talk about the future a bit :)

At Moon Studios, we're very proud of the world we created and we've been talking about what we'd like to do for a sequel - Note that this in no way means that we're working on a sequel at this point, we're just starting to do our Post Mortems and start figuring out what we could potentially do for a sequel and whether or not a sequel would actually make sense for us.

As I said before, I think we do have a bit of a 'Super Mario Galaxy' situation going on at Moon - We initially prototyped so many ideas, created levels and left quite a bit on the cutting room floor, simply because these ideas didn't fit into the game anymore, but they'd definitely still be very interesting to explore.

So, let me just ask directly:

What are the 3 things you'd like to see us do if we'd make a sequel to Ori and the Blind Forest?

I think we're always very attentive when it comes to hearing feedback from everyone, the entire Moon Studios Team is reading through every single comment on every single forum (Hell, I'm even using google translate to read what people on spanish / italian websites, etc. have to say :D) and we're incredibly pleased with the response we got for Ori, but we obviously always want to improve as a studio and create even better games than the ones we made before.

If we'd ever decide to make a sequel to Ori and the Blind Forest, our goal should be to turn it into what Super Mario Bros. 3 was to the original Super Mario Bros or what A Link to the Past was to the original Zelda. We're not interested in just churning out another Ori at all - if we do it, I can promise you guys that we'll again try to do the absolute best we can do to give you guys an experience that's remarkable and amazing.

Having said all that, fire away, we'd love to hear your feedback! :)

I just wanted to respond to this more directly, since I very much hope that we haven't seen the last of Ori --

I love how the theoretical sequel would not just be a re-release of the same game with new environments thrown in, so in line with that:

(1) Something that really stood out to me was how happy the beginning was. It was literally like playing a cartoon/Miyazaki movie and I enjoyed the experience of just "living in that world" so perhaps there could be sections that weren't dangerous. I'm not sure how it would affect the flow of the game, but if there could be sections (maybe hub worlds, maybe after the player restores the land to where it should be) that just let you experience the world without much danger.

(2) There should never be a way to not go back and collect everything, so I feel like this needs to be fixed in the sequel (maybe even patched in for the first game?). Not being able to collect everything creates frustration and falsely extends replayability. The idea of replaying the game a certain way (speed run, no death, no upgrading) is the right way to go.

(3) Fast travel points. I feel like the Spirit Wells should almost function as a fast travel point. It just seems logical. You still have to find them first and they are a safe place to go. The only issue is the fact that a Spirit Well fully heals/restores vitality and energy so that could be abused.

Lain

The last dungeon while escaping
from Kuro
is whipping my ass.

Edit: Finally completed it!
I kept getting killed at the last step of the escape because I just wasn't noticing I had to use
the falling stuff
to get past that point.

Great, great game. I didn't like the escape parts of the dungeons too much (especially the last one), though the first one felt the most rewarding to me once I managed to get out but aside from that, this game was really a little work of love. Really nice music and really good use of that music, awesome art that had me think "now this is a painting come to life" and really fun and tight gameplay with a simple yet well told story.

There were a couple of weird bugs that I encountered, the achievements unlocking by themselves the first day I played and, sometimes when booting the game for the first time, opening the loading menu would have the selection go all the way to the right by itself, which forced me to close the game and boot it up again.

All in all a great experience that will surely be on my GOTY list.

All that's left now is for the OST to be put on Steam as DLC and in FLAC (because I love lossless) and I'll be completely happy (listening on Spotify with the ads breaks is annoying).

Edit: Finally completed it!
I kept getting killed at the last step of the escape because I just wasn't noticing I had to use
the falling stuff
to get past that point.

I had the exact same problem! I kept getting all the way to the end and did not realize you could bash off those things....

hawk2025

Hit a game breaking bug on Misty Woods.

The geometry of the upper path is fucked and Ori falls through the level in multiple spots. Bummer. I'll restart the game in a few months.

p3tran

Banned

hehe

although as a customer I am happy to see this written, I do have to remind you that no matter how differently you might think right now, humans are in fact not machines.
and all humans that thought themselves to be machines, eventually failed.

so, my 2c = you rest too, if only just a little

:)

Feindflug

Finished the game last night and what a great game this is (the last area was amazing), I hope that it will do well sales wise because we need more games like Ori and more studios like Moon.

hawk2025

I'm just working on prototypes right now and relax a little while doing so. I also continued writing the story for a game we'd like to make at some point. Our Tech Department is still busy on the patch that'll come soon :)

Also, if you haven't seen it yet, Steffen and our artists haven been posting some of their work on Polycount:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150335

Do you know if the patch will address issues with the geometry in Misty Woods? I'm 100% stuck :(

Top Bottom