• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

Risgroo

Just bought this on Steam. It wasn't really on my radar until I watched a review yesterday, and I just fell in love with the music and the visual style instantly. I've been listening to the soundtrack non-stop, and I figured it was worth supporting the devs by buying this at full price :)
I'll have to wait until next weekend to play it, though...

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I've finished the ginso tree and it wasn't as hard as some have described it in here.

Yeah, honestly I didn't think any part of the game was that difficult. There were some slightly tougher parts, maybe 2 sections. I would very much enjoy a harder mode.

Yeah, honestly I didn't think any part of the game was that difficult. There were some slightly tougher parts, maybe 2 sections. I would very much enjoy a harder mode.

IMO, the most difficult part of the game is Forlorn Ruins, followed by Mt Horu and Sorrow Pass.

I had the hardest time with Forlorn Ruins until I figured out what to do, but even then there's little margin for error.
Mt Horu is a lot of twitch platforming, but the objectives themselves aren't too difficult. i really enjoyed this part: https://vid.me/O4wG
Sorrow Pass is my favorite level, but the enemies are some of the strongest in the game and you spend a lot of the time in the air.

I guess the difficulty spikes with Misty Woods and Ginso Tree are tough at first, but I didn't struggle with them too much. A tougher difficulty would be welcome.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I'm trying for almost an hour now to get "Airborne" achievement, and no matter how much double jump I do consecutively without touching the ground I can't get it for some reason.

I'm starting to lose hope :(

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
IMO, the most difficult part of the game is Forlorn Ruins, followed by Mt Horu and Sorrow Pass.

I had the hardest time with Forlorn Ruins until I figured out what to do, but even then there's little margin for error.
Mt Horu is a lot of twitch platforming, but the objectives themselves aren't too difficult. i really enjoyed this part: https://vid.me/O4wG
Sorrow Pass is my favorite level, but the enemies are some of the strongest in the game and you spend a lot of the time in the air.

I guess the difficulty spikes with Misty Woods and Ginso Tree are tough at first, but I didn't struggle with them too much. A tougher difficulty would be welcome.

Every section of Mt Horu was really fun, I enjoyed every one. You're right, that one you linked is great.

A no-death run is waiting for you.

Haha, I don't know about that. There are moments that you have to depend on a monster shooting something at you for you to live. That would be the biggest issue with a no death run. Sometimes there's just nothing you can do except die.

Hynad

Banned
Every section of Mt Horu was really fun, I enjoyed every one. You're right, that one you linked is great.

Haha, I don't know about that. There are moments that you have to depend on a monster shooting something at you for you to live. That would be the biggest issue with a no death run. Sometimes there's just nothing you can do except die.

Don't you say you want a harder mode? There are quite a few people who have achieved such a run. It is hard.

Don't give excuses. xD

Exentryk

Just finished the game. The last dungeon was great! Really wasn't expecting
that lava chase o_O
Here is a vid of the same - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DPqJ5Xm-ss

Also, the ending was great. Such a wonderful story, and
I actually felt sad for Kuro. If only there was a way they could all live together happily.

Thank you Moon Studios, for creating such a wonderful game. I will definitely be getting your next game
(as long as you guys don't make a shooter of some kind :p)

P.S. - Does anyone know how to check your stats after you've completed the game? The save file is locked =/

P.P.S. - Here are a couple more escape sequences:
Valley of the Wind
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOi44ghYWWk

Mt. Horu
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_lSIWIwcsw

Also, stats before the last 10 mins of the game:

3rX9Z6X.jpg

Do any of you guys have kids that tried to play Ori yet? I'd love to know how they react to the prologue, whether or not they understand what's going on, etc.

99% (due to missing something in an area i can't go back to) and 7 hours... Overall, absolutely awesome game! I was very much anticipating it and it delivered.

If i had one gripe i'd have to say the game overall was too easy. Each time a new ability was introduced or new item (magnet ball) i kept waiting for the puzzles to escalate and really challenge me, but they never did. They all remained fairly basic.

With so many abilities and means of getting around, there easily could've been more "advanced" sections that required crazy timing/platforming skills.

Definitely keeping an eye on Moon studios though, can't wait to see what you guys come up with next!

roytheone

Are there any collectibles in the first dungeon that you can miss? I have collected a couple of those small xp orb and one upgrade for my energy, but because you can't return to that area apparently I want to make sure I don't miss anything permanently.

Also, holy f** the platforming in this game feels incredible. The double jump, wall jump and bash all feel fantastic to use. This game is quickly becoming one of the best 2D platforming games I have every played!

Prine

Banned
Even though I have barely any time to play games as much as id like, and i have a huge backlog to go through (Evil Within, Shadows of Mordor, FH2, SS:O, Dragon Age, MCC) i just purchased this, i may not actually play it for months! But I done my bit for Moon Studios :) I want MS to put their full force behind you guys and invest :)

Even though I have barely any time to play games as much as id like, and i have a huge backlog to go through (Evil Within, Shadows of Mordor, FH2, SS:O, Dragon Age, MCC) i just purchased this, i may not actually play it for months! But I done my bit for Moon Studios :) I want MS to put their full force behind you guys and invest :)

Thank you :) I can promise you guys that we'll always do our absolute best to only deliver quality. I hope Moon Studios can build up that kind of trust-based relationship with their fans that Nintendo, Blizzard, etc. has - And the only way to do that is to make sure that every single thing we make has an extremely high quality standard.

Shepard

The thing I love about this game is how strong each new ability feels: every time you get one, the game completely changes. I think the last time I felt like this was when I was playing metroid fusion. It's really great.

Navy Bean

Is there a map floating around on the Interwebs that shows the location of all the orbs? I missed 2 on my first play through and would like to grab them all on a second run...

99% (due to missing something in an area i can't go back to) and 7 hours... Overall, absolutely awesome game! I was very much anticipating it and it delivered.

If i had one gripe i'd have to say the game overall was too easy. Each time a new ability was introduced or new item (magnet ball) i kept waiting for the puzzles to escalate and really challenge me, but they never did. They all remained fairly basic.

With so many abilities and means of getting around, there easily could've been more "advanced" sections that required crazy timing/platforming skills.

Definitely keeping an eye on Moon studios though, can't wait to see what you guys come up with next!

This is my biggest complaint right now, the game at first was very difficult but with each new ability and the triple jump the game hasn't really given me any problems.

Based on my first hour or two of play and off some reviews I was expecting super meat boy level of difficulty over the course of the game and some espeically wonderful platforming but I haven't really got that out of this game yet... Its come really close to being my perfect game but it isn't quite there and I think what would do that would be some more punishing platforming... Maybe in the sequel or the NG+

Also putting those orbs on the escapes I think was a mistake which made those more frustrating then they should have been as a completionist.

fortunately, those are just spirit light containers and they don't count for any achievement. it's also really easy to farm spirit light if you need the extra points.

but i admit it also bugged me if i missed one, so i wiped until i figured out a route to get all 3.

Day One Ori buyer here, just finished it last night since I had to take a break as I was getting too frustrated with it, in particular the timed sequences.

Game looks beautiful, the soundtrack and story are good and some of the gameplay is fun but the timed sequences where I died over and over again soured me on the overall experience. I can appreciate the game and its difficulty, however it's not the type of game I'd like to play again unfortunately. I have however recommended it to some friends, with the caveat that it can be frustratingly difficult.

Azlan

Day One Ori buyer here, just finished it last night since I had to take a break as I was getting too frustrated with it, in particular the timed sequences.

Game looks beautiful, the soundtrack and story are good and some of the gameplay is fun but the timed sequences where I died over and over again soured me on the overall experience. I can appreciate the game and its difficulty, however it's not the type of game I'd like to play again unfortunately. I have however recommended it to some friends, with the caveat that it can be frustratingly difficult.

I feel like it is a fine line to walk here. Personally I thought the chase sequences were some of the most rewarding parts of the game, but I could easily see why another person would think them frustratingly difficult. It is the closest I have felt, in a platforming style game, to the feeling after you beat a boss in a Dark Souls game. They really gave me a sense of accomplishment and a good adrenaline rush.

Edit: That plushy is pretty awesome Thomas. I would have to get one to place next to my Fizzie plushie, even though I am normally not one for gaming merch.

If anyone that is an achievement hunter is hung up on the No Stone Unturned achievement due to some of the secret areas not registering, we've locked down the exact conditions. You have to discover ALL 42 secret areas in a single playthrough of the game. Unfortunately sometimes they don't track and the only way to know is to watch the achievement tracker (on XB1 at least) and see if the % goes up. If it doesn't, hard reset the Xbox. The problem comes if you're stuck at 85-95% because you can't watch the tracker to make sure the first 38 or so actually registered.

I've posted two youtube videos, one showing all collectibles including all 42 secret areas in the order you would encounter them on a fresh playthrough, and the other showing how to do a save/reload trick to force the same secret area to count multiple times. The save/reload trick is great if you're stuck around 90% because you don't have to worry about all 42 secret areas actually tracking without knowing if they are. They can be found here:

100% collectibles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BApxabmjUNY

Save/reload trick - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcy8IDcnH18

Lmao I'm playing this and I can't get up the walls right away when you get to the wind area. This game really makes you use your gaming skills. I die a lot but it is addictive.

Nexas

This games has lost my saves three times already. I literally save the game, quit to the main menu, and find that the most recent save was from over two hours ago. This shit is fucked and I'm done. The game is awesome, but I'm not going to keep replaying the same sections over and over again because their save system doesn't work properly.

Heigic

Completed it today and loved it. Think I'll replay through for 100% once we get a no UI option.

It's a shame the game launched the same week as Cities: skylines and Hotline Miami on Steam as I'd think they would have had a large impact on sales, so the 300k wishlist is kind of understandable. I'm sure a lot of them will buy it eventually though as it is a great game.

I loved Rayman initially but seriously feel like the controls were super weird and unresponsive after getting through Ori.

Yeah, I can see how it's hard to go back after Ori. The controls were fine for me when I played it at launch on the Xbox One, but I don't remember them being particularly great.

pakkit

Banned
There are over 300k people who put Ori on their STEAM wishlist, which is immensly impressive - If you want to support us, now would be a good time to convert that wishlist item into an actual sale cause we will be negotiating with publishers about future projects very soon. The sales so far will decide on whether or not we're allowed to make another game like Ori.

We put everything we had into developing Ori and I think there's a huge amount of potential within our team to do even better next time. We want to build the best games out there for you guys - but in return, we ask for a little support in terms of sales. If you guys pirated Ori or only played it at a friends place and enjoyed it, we'd definitely appreciate your support. We live if you give :)

Bought the game at $20 because of this message. I think a lot of PC gamers (myself included) usually wait for sales prices just because they're so abundant in the PC scene, but this game reminded me of Rayman Legends and Mark of the Ninja, so I knew going in I'd probably love it. No regrets so far, thanks for this piece of art Thomas et all at Moon Studios!

Bought the game at $20 because of this message. I think a lot of PC gamers (myself included) usually wait for sales prices just because they're so abundant in the PC scene, but this game reminded me of Rayman Legends and Mark of the Ninja, so I knew going in I'd probably love it. No regrets so far, thanks for this piece of art Thomas et all at Moon Studios!

I have quite a few Steam friends waiting a month for the game to drop in price a little bit. I don't think people understand what they're missing out on. This game is definitely worth paying full price for now.

I have quite a few Steam friends waiting a month for the game to drop in price a little bit. I don't think people understand what they're missing out on. This game is definitely worth paying full price for now.

Frankly, I think it needs a patch first. There seems to be quite a few game breaking bugs.

These issues must be on PC. I am 5 hours in on Xbox One and have had no bugs at all besides the suspend and resume, which does not affect gameplay and is very minor.

I played the game to completion on PC without a single bug. That led me to believe that the PC version was a very solid product. *shrug*

pakkit

Banned

To be fair, I generally wait for price drops because one gets the game cheaper (obviously), usually gets a more polished, patched product, and can enjoy the game without any of the hype-induced mania around launch time.

Nabs

To be fair, I generally wait for price drops because one gets the game cheaper (obviously), usually gets a more polished, patched product, and can enjoy the game without any of the hype-induced mania around launch time.

It was also released in a really packed week. I decided to pick up Ori and Hotline, but I still plan on picking up Skylines during the first sale.

Top Bottom