• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

Pooya

charge jump feels like being Iron Man lol. Some beautiful scenery in this place. Close to finish now, the game was quite hard in some parts but felt right mostly.

If you guys want to know more about our Art Process at Moon, you should visit:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150335

Our artists are sharing quite a lot of information on what they did and how they did it over there :)

Fun Fact: The Ori Logo was hand-painted by Anna Jasinski:

anna-jasinski-img-9112.jpg

Just look at how many times she had to try it to get it just right! :D

This is true for almost every part of our development, by the way. We have a multi-iteration approach at Moon. Very rarely does any 'first iteration' ever survive our critical eye - usually artists have to re-paint and polish assets a few times over before it's being approved. Same thing is obviously true for mechanics, designs, etc. Everything goes through a pain-staking process of multiple iterations with numerous feedback-sessions where everyone's involved just to try to reach that pesky perfection level.

These issues must be on PC. I am 5 hours in on Xbox One and have had no bugs at all besides the suspend and resume, which does not affect gameplay and is very minor.

I played the game to completion on PC without a single bug. That led me to believe that the PC version was a very solid product. *shrug*

If you go through the thread you'll see there are several instances of game ending bugs. Push/pull stops working, unable to jump out of water, etc. If you don't run into them that's great but I hit one 15 minutes in on PC, and I know two people on XB1 who got hit with one at 6+ hours in.

This is true for almost every part of our development, by the way. We have a multi-iteration approach at Moon. Very rarely does any 'first iteration' ever survive our critical eye - usually artists have to re-paint and polish assets a few times over before it's being approved. Same thing is obviously true for mechanics, designs, etc. Everything goes through a pain-staking process of multiple iterations with numerous feedback-sessions where everyone's involved just to try to reach that pesky perfection level.

Can you guys go back in time and work on Mass Effect 3's ending?

If you guys want to know more about our Art Process at Moon, you should visit:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150335

Our artists are sharing quite a lot of information on what they did and how they did it over there :)

Fun Fact: The Ori Logo was hand-painted by Anna Jasinski:

anna-jasinski-img-9112.jpg

Just look at how many times she had to try it to get it just right! :D

That is...... wow.

Frankly, I think it needs a patch first. There seems to be quite a few game breaking bugs.

This games has lost my saves three times already. I literally save the game, quit to the main menu, and find that the most recent save was from over two hours ago. This shit is fucked and I'm done. The game is awesome, but I'm not going to keep replaying the same sections over and over again because their save system doesn't work properly.

It saddens me to see people experiencing this. The only time I've encountered any bugs at all was when quitting out and reloading saves very rapidly, which can crash the game. I've never encountered a game-breaking bug or anything like that on XB1. I did notice that if you're speedrunning and going VERY fast, you can sometimes get to areas faster than the game can keep up with and lag it out, which once led me to fall through the world. I just quit out to the main menu and reloaded and went a *little* bit slower lol.

Also, and I HATE to say this, but nearly every game has bugs at launch these days. Ori's are minimal in my opinion, and it's worth $20 even with them. $60 with bugs? Maybe not, but $20? Fuck yeah.

Ghost23

Guys am I screwed? I am at the very beginning of the second dungeon, and the light vessel is not there. I remember using it last night, but I saved the game and turned it off soon after. I remember putting the vessel down by the entrance to the dungeon, and it's not respawning when I start the game. I really hope I don't have to start over.

EDIT: I'm on PC

Exentryk

The hard work shows in your game. So amazing job! Also, thanks for sharing polycount links.

Guys am I screwed? I am at the very beginning of the second dungeon, and the light vessel is not there. I remember using it last night, but I saved the game and turned it off soon after. I remember putting the vessel down by the entrance to the dungeon, and it's not respawning when I start the game. I really hope I don't have to start over.

That light orb follows you around when you move without holding it. So try to walk a bit further and see if it appears? Other than that, try exiting the dungeon, saving outside, reloading the game, and then entering the dungeon again.

Ghost23

The hard work shows in your game. So amazing job! Also, thanks for sharing polycount links.

That light orb follows you around when you move without holding it. So try to walk a bit further and see if it appears? Other than that, try exiting the dungeon, saving outside, reloading the game, and then entering the dungeon again.

I've tried everything. It's not there. Man I really don't want to start from the beginning. Sucks that this is really going to hurt my overall enjoyment of the game.

zashga

Finished the game last night; I really enjoyed it. The game looks fantastic throughout. Kudos to all of the artists, animators, and everyone responsible for stitching things together. This is the kind of game that will still look great ten years from now.

In terms of the game itself, it felt a little uneven. I started off thinking it was alright, then I liked it a lot more when bash was introduced, then gliding and soaring and the obtuse gimmicks in the Ruins cooled things off again. Some parts of the game have a distinct "trial and error" flavor that doesn't mesh well with its extremely infrequent automatic checkpoints. Common enemies felt a little bullet spongy throughout, and I would've liked to see some real boss fights. I didn't mind the difficulty spikes posed by the escape sequences; those challenges felt less frustrating since they were all about execution and less about remembering to save often.

I don't want to sound too down on the game. It's a beautiful, well-crafted game that's closer to the Metroid side of Metroidvania, which I like. The emphasis on platforming and traversal gives it its own identity beyond the visual flair, and the bash attack is a mechanic worthy of building a much larger game around. Very good game overall.

That is...... wow.

It saddens me to see people experiencing this. The only time I've encountered any bugs at all was when quitting out and reloading saves very rapidly, which can crash the game. I've never encountered a game-breaking bug or anything like that on XB1. I did notice that if you're speedrunning and going VERY fast, you can sometimes get to areas faster than the game can keep up with and lag it out, which once led me to fall through the world. I just quit out to the main menu and reloaded and went a *little* bit slower lol.

Also, and I HATE to say this, but nearly every game has bugs at launch these days. Ori's are minimal in my opinion, and it's worth $20 even with them. $60 with bugs? Maybe not, but $20? Fuck yeah.

That doesn't change my advice of "wait for a patch." Also some of these bugs are effectively save wiping as they persist across reloading your save. Yeah other games may have a bug that halts progress but reloading from a save or resetting the checkpoint usually fixes it in those cases. Here, as it stands now, you are looking at restarting the game.

hawk2025

That is...... wow.

Well, I disagree.
I'm currently literally incapable of proceeding in the game because the geometry in Wispy Woods, right next to the deadly owl section, is completely bonkers. I've restarted the console and it didn't fix the issue.

I loved the 50% of the game I've played so far, but I haven't seen a truly gamebreaking bug in a videogame like this in a while. It's impossible to proceed. This is after the very first time I played the game having to uninstall and install the whole thing again because it never got past the thunderstorm scene in the intro.

Bad luck on my part? For sure, it doesn't seem to affect the majority of players. But it's there and I'm not the only one, and IMO it's antithetical to what we've heard from the jump regarding this game's design philosophies of polish, polish, polish and precision. I don't think the same user hitting two game-stopping bugs in one playthrough is acceptable. These should be low enough probability events that in the very bad occasion that someone sees one, it never happens again.

I don't want to be too harsh, though: Those first 3 and a half hours (after the redownload) were very, very good and had what I would call minor bugs like framerate and stuttering issues, but hitting a game-stopping bug is not something I would call minor. It's a testament to the game that I still have a great impression of the first half of it despite the issues.

Bugs happen, though. I'm willing to wait for the upcoming patch!

Edit: lol, Wispy Woods. I have Kirby on my mind :p

Please send a mail to feedback@moongamestudios.com that includes your save file - Our tech team will look into helping you out.

Any chance I can do the same with a video please? Would you like to have a look just in case it helps?

Restarting the Xbox didn't fix the geometry :(

We can't access save files on Xbox One for now - You'll have to wait for the patch that'll be out soon. I'm super sorry for the inconvenience, these are issues that were never found during testing and CERT... :(

hawk2025

We can't access save files on Xbox One for now - You'll have to wait for the patch that'll be out soon. I'm super sorry for the inconvenience, these are issues that were never found during testing and CERT... :(

I totally understand that they weren't found, and it has to be disheartening to see people having issues after you guys put so much into the game.

Like I said though, I think it's worth keeping in mind that it's a huge statement to how enjoyable the game is that despite having a streak of bad luck I still have an extremely positive view on the game and will happily recommend it to anyone that asks!

If anyone wants to come hang I'm gonna stream a speedrun to celebrate the close of a successful giveaway (my first on GAF) with my pathetic speed running lack of skills at 10:30pm US central (little over an hour from now) at twitch.tv/korbekgaming.

That doesn't change my advice of "wait for a patch." Also some of these bugs are effectively save wiping as they persist across reloading your save. Yeah other games may have a bug that halts progress but reloading from a save or resetting the checkpoint usually fixes it in those cases. Here, as it stands now, you are looking at restarting the game.

Well, I disagree.
I'm currently literally incapable of proceeding in the game because the geometry in Wispy Woods, right next to the deadly owl section, is completely bonkers. I've restarted the console and it didn't fix the issue.

I loved the 50% of the game I've played so far, but I haven't seen a truly gamebreaking bug in a videogame like this in a while. It's impossible to proceed. This is after the very first time I played the game having to uninstall and install the whole thing again because it never got past the thunderstorm scene in the intro.

Bad luck on my part? For sure, it doesn't seem to affect the majority of players. But it's there and I'm not the only one, and IMO it's antithetical to what we've heard from the jump regarding this game's design philosophies of polish, polish, polish and precision. I don't think the same user hitting two game-stopping bugs in one playthrough is acceptable. These should be low enough probability events that in the very bad occasion that someone sees one, it never happens again.

I don't want to be too harsh, though: Those first 3 and a half hours (after the redownload) were very, very good and had what I would call minor bugs like framerate and stuttering issues, but hitting a game-stopping bug is not something I would call minor. It's a testament to the game that I still have a great impression of the first half of it despite the issues.

Bugs happen, though. I'm willing to wait for the upcoming patch!

Edit: lol, Wispy Woods. I have Kirby on my mind :p

Don't get me wrong I understand your frustrations even if I'm not experiencing them. I've played through start to finish six times, 4 on my tag and two on alternate tags for video-making purposes and have yet to experience anything beyond the occassional crash (which reboots the console? weird) and the one time I fell through the world and just had to quit out and reload my last save.

I'm usually the one banging the drum against broken games. But usually we get broken, SHITTY games, not a fantastic game with a couple of rare but game-breaking bugs if they occur. Also, Moon Studios' responsiveness and up-front attitude regarding them thus far has been far better than the way many, many, many developers deal with bugs, especially rare ones. It's usually the canned "well we can't reproduce the bug you're experiencing so it doesn't exist" response.

I guess I just really want to see people support games with this level of love poured into them so we get more of them instead of just the cookie-cutter chum of dudebro garbage that floods the market.

jb1234

Just started playing this and I'm pretty happy with it. Game is freakin' gorgeous and a good challenge. Caught a few bugs (like a couple of achievements activating by themselves) but nothing game breaking.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Ended up testing my mate's copy on my '14 Mac Mini to see if it runs - and, happily, it does. Quite well, too. Will be picking this up over the weekend for sure :)

Beat the game tonight for the first time, with 100% completion on top of that! Really enjoyed every moment of it. I'm amazed I knew nothing about Ori before the game released. I'm glad I didn't miss out on it.

Only achievements left for me are no ability points spent, no deaths, and finish under 3 hours. May or may not try for those. Ori's skill set at the end of the game works so well, and I would hate to start a new game so soon without it, haha.

Tadale

I'm near the end of the game now, and it really comes together once you have all of the abilities. The devs did a great job coming up with some unique moves that all work really well together in the game's environments. Impressive that it doesn't really feel like any other Metroidvania style game.

Finished the game last night. What a ride! Despite there being a few very frustrating parts (looking at you, rock/lava puzzle), I really enjoyed my time with the game. Absolutely one of the best games I've played in a long time.

Pooya

beat it, superb game. Everything felt very satisfying, even dying for the 20th time in some escape sequence which might be the lowest points of the game. Animations, the way abilities work and the way they work together to make some really clever level design, all of it makes for a really satisfying challenging game, I didn't expect this level of variety, both mechanically and visually. Playing through that with the beautiful soundtrack playing over it, it never gets tiring. I hope it wins some awards this year, early released games might be neglected, I think the experience here will stick with me for a long time.

It took over 9 hours and I didn't collect everything, died a LOT.

What's everyone's favorite level?

I'm still singing Sorrow Pass' praises. The scenery is gorgeous and i think it has the best soundtrack in the game. The platforming and enemies bring the right amount of challenging and cleverness, and then
you unlock Charge Jump and everything changes

I kinda wish this game was checkpoint based after you beat it so i could play this level nonstop.

Vexidus

After 12 hours played I am on the last dungeon now and love the game more than ever. I've been savouring every last little bit of it and don't want it to end. This is a masterpiece, and one of my favourite gaming experiences in years. Thank you Thomas and Moon studios for putting your hearts into this gem!

Drewfonse

On my save it says 18%. Does that mean story progress or total progress, including collectibles?

I'm terrible at this game, but still really loving it.

Tadale

The death counter seems to be meant to shame me for the way I play video games. I try to speed through tough platforming sections every time, and I get a lot of deaths very fast. I'm near the end of the game now with right at 300.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
The death counter seems to be meant to shame me for the way I play video games. I try to speed through tough platforming sections every time, and I get a lot of deaths very fast. I'm near the end of the game now with right at 300.

I didn't really take care of ori my first run through. Like if I got hit too many times and theres a new area ahead, and have saved within a minute or two. I'll just suicide. Next run through will see if I can keep him/her alive longer.

I didn't really take care of ori my first run through. Like if I got hit too many times and theres a new area ahead, and have saved within a minute or two. I'll just suicide. Next run through will see if I can keep him/her alive longer.

Same here. I like to think that death is just a part of games like these. It's more fun to be adventurous.

Bullitus

That's nothing. I almost hit 450 by the end of the game. Yeah, I suck.

Same here. I like to think that death is just a part of games like these. It's more fun to be adventurous.

Yeah, Ori was designed around the idea that you shouldn't feel too bad if you die, it's just part of the gameplay. It's alright if you want to try something and die, there's no negative effects, you just start at the last soulLink and it's all good :)

Beat the game just shy of 9 and a half hours and close to 500 deaths. Its pretty amazing. Im sure on second playthrough I could reduce the death count to under 100.

Brakke

Banned
Just started this last night. Played straight through the escape from the tree. Goddamn. I was digging the game alright for sure but that sequence was tremendous. Really exhilarating. I thought it was really tough but also so satisfying. I managed to get a couple of the ability orbs but there were two I couldn't even fathom drawing a path through safely.

Looks great, plays great, sounds great. The one thing I'm not sure about yet is the story. I can't tell if it's being obtuse and mysterious as a smoke-and-mirrors play to hide the fact that there's no substance there or to create a sense of wonder and exploration and discovery. I suppose I'm only about a third of the way through so we shall see...

KaYotiX

Banned
Finished the game last night. What a ride! Despite there being a few very frustrating parts (looking at you, rock/lava puzzle), I really enjoyed my time with the game. Absolutely one of the best games I've played in a long time.

Same here, took a few screens shots to use as a background for my xbox. Great game!

Joey Ravn

Banned
I've been playing Ori and I just got the first... thing. The game looks fantastic, but it's definitely not clicking with me. I'm probably in a very small minority here, but I'm finding the way Ori moves way too loose. I'm consistently having issues wallclimbing and moving around ledges, as if Ori's movement was 10% more of what I wanted. It just doesn't "feel" as good as, say, Super Meat Boy.

I beat Hotline Miami 2 last week, so my tolerance for rage-inducing situations is pretty low right now. I think I'll leave Ori for the near future... if I do ever get back to it.

Syrus

Banned
EVERYONE should buy this game. It is the best looking game Ive played. so gorgeous and the sound is amazing.

This is a game for everyone

I've been playing Ori and I just got the first... thing. The game looks fantastic, but it's definitely not clicking with me. I'm probably in a very small minority here, but I'm finding the way Ori moves way too loose. I'm consistently having issues wallclimbing and moving around ledges, as if Ori's movement was 10% more of what I wanted. It just doesn't "feel" as good as, say, Super Meat Boy.

I beat Hotline Miami 2 last week, so my tolerance for rage-inducing situations is pretty low right now. I think I'll leave Ori for the near future... if I do ever get back to it.

Ori's platforming feels incredibly tight to me. Also, what "thing" did you get? The game just feels better and better with each new ability?

Krujo

Banned
I just beat it and other than not being able to get that last orb in one of the locked ruins, I loved every freaking part of this game. Thanks for making such a good game.

oldergamer

Arrrgghhh I just died and got a black screen when i respawned. I couldn't do anything but exit the game, and it deleted my saves all the way back to the first level :(

Hubble

For those wondering about length, I have 9 hours in and 51% world and 2 world events done. I take my time though looking everywhere.

Dartastic

I think I'm stuck. I just got the smash attack and I'm trying to figure out where to go. The map says I have to go to an area way to the left but I don't see an open path to go further left. I've climbed up to the area with lava for the first time, and I can't enter that area either. Really not sure where to go.

Hynad

Banned
I finally finished the game 100%.
I thought I had achieved it by the end of my prior playthrough, but I only reached 99%. There was one missing part of Mount Horu that I hadn't reached. It was a little sad, since I made sure I entered the dungeon when every other locations were at 100%. But then I finished the game, and got locked out of my game at 99%. =(

The next time, (my third trek through it) I made sure to make a copy of my game right before entering Mount Horu, just in case I missed anything. In fact, I made a few of those so that I could quickly replay the parts I enjoy most. Like the escape from the Ginso Tree. Now I can fine tune my skills by replaying the intense parts.

In fact, I won't lie, the Ginso Tree escape is my favourite part of the game. The level design, the tension, and the amazing music playing makes this a flawless gaming moment.

In any case, I'm eagerly awaiting the announcement of Ori 2.

I know it's too early, but please, make it happen!

**Goes back to spreading the word about this amazing game...**

Top Bottom